• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

Haunted

I think the escape sequences are absolutely fine. A good bit of action to break up the usual pacing, not too hard. The size of the world and the way it was connected makes fast travel unneeded, though I wouldn't be against warping between the wells.

Missable collectibles which tie into the completion rate make a lot of people unhappy, though, so you guys should probably rectify that for the next installment. :D

As a personal preference, I'd say go a bit stronger on the puzzle elements in some of the environments. Great examples for these were the first encounter with the charging boar and the ice dungeon. Platforming (exploration), combat and puzzles are your three main pillars and I think you already balanced them pretty well!

What couldn't you see? Patience helps with these sequences I find.

EDIT: One more thing, Thomas. Bring back Gareth Coker. He created one of the best scores in gaming. It's classic already, IMO. I would just like 1 or 2 more new melodies. The two major melodies in the game are great, but variations only work for so long. That said, a waltz variation on both with a sweeping orchestral arrangement would be quite nice.

It was figuring out exactly where to go. A slight or enemy failing to spawn/shoot a projectile in time will see the waters reach a point where it's nearly impossible to see where Ori is and where exactly you're supposed to be jumping.

I do agree that patience is key, but patience only works when you don't start to fee frustrated by what feels unlike unfair deaths.

Hynad

Banned
Talks of a sequel already???

BRING IT ON!

Seriously, this game is amazing! Thank you Moon Studios for what is easily my Game of the Year! It could change, but I highly doubt it since I've always been a sucker for metroidvania games and yours sits just there alongside Super Metroid and SOTN. My two favourite games in the genre (Duh!). So that's no small feat! o_O

Currently on my second playthrough. I just finished The Ginso Tree and things went much better than on my first time there! xD

But these parts are really amazing. The level design, the tension, the music that accompanies it all... Just perfect! If you do a sequel, make more sequences like this! They're so much fun!

One thing I hope though is that you don't rush a sequel. Your first game is of such high quality through and through, take the time to create level designs as good and inspired as what you did for your first game.

Now, I will reiterate what a lot of people have already suggested for the sequel:

Make it possible to re-access every area of the game. Even if it's through an ability that we gain during the final stage and we can only re-access those areas AFTER we completed the game, so be it. Which means:

Post game save! Let us explore the game after we finished it. Don't lock our save file like you did with the first game! =( You can do that by making us start back from before the final dungeon or something similar.

Keep the heart! The story was simple, but it had lots of heart! Very Ghibli/Disney/Ico-ish, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Finally, since a lot of people are having problems running your game smoothly (seems like a lot of people experience stuttering/loading issues), maybe you could include more options to tweak the graphics, other than resolution and motion blur.

Cheers, thanks again, and I can't wait to see what you gift us next!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What are the 3 things you'd like to see us do if we'd make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest?
Despite the fact that I really like the original game, I think the team should focus on making a brand new IPs cuz... Well, we now live in the world when from almost every game developers or publishers (for the most part) are trying to make a franchise. Now, don't get me wrong, there is quite a lot of very good examples when this actually ended up being a good thing (Batman: Arkham series for example (except Arkham Origins), Bayonetta series. Trine series and so on), but if the game feels complete in terms of story just like Ori or The Last of Us, then I think there's no need for a direct sequel.

On the other hand, if the team really wants to make a sequel and if there will be demand for it (I'm sure that there is a demand for it, just look at the user score and reviews on Steam alone), then it must be better in almost every single and possible way, which is a very hard thing to pull of even for some of the most experienced studios out there. Now, you've mentioned Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Bros and A Link to the Past as a goal to make a sequel to Ori, but I think that the main goal should be to make a game like Super Metroid with less focus on gathering experience to level up the character, and with a huge focus on explorations, finding new abilities, lots of hidden secrets, weapons variety, occasional and cool boss fights. I mean clearly, by just playing the game I can feel that Metroid (or metroidvania style games) was a huge inspiration for Ori (amongst other things), but some of the elements was made more "lite" intentional to make a room for gathering experience points and acquiring new abilities by spending them.

So, if the team will decide to make a sequel (hopefully not a direct one, but with completely new characters and story) to Ori, I really hope it will be a lot like Super Metroid, without experience points, with huge focus on explorations and everything I have mentioned above. There is no weapons in Ori though, but I think you know what I mean. I'm not demanding anything, really, I just feel like this is the right way to go for a sequel to Ori, so please, at least think about it, discuss it with the team and see what they can say about it.

Thank you for the phenomenal game and keep up the good work! We need more games like Ori and more development studios like Moon.

That time is subjective though. Some people need more time to learn. And some just aren't that good to learn it that well. For example, if I wanted a female friend that doesn't play games much to try this, she'd be okay for most of the game, but would probably give up at these escape sequences. And that should not happen.

But then the people who like the difficulty don't have as much fun. I guess making a easy mode would be a better idea. I don't want my gameplay made easier just so another person can experience the game, though.

Detective

Now that quite a few people here have finished Ori and the Blind Forest (our Tech Team is currently working on a patch that should fix all the issues that have been reported to us, so that everyone can enjoy their experience), let's maybe talk about the future a bit :)

At Moon Studios, we're very proud of the world we created and we've been talking about what we'd like to do for a sequel - Note that this in no way means that we're working on a sequel at this point, we're just starting to do our Post Mortems and start figuring out what we could potentially do for a sequel and whether or not a sequel would actually make sense for us.

As I said before, I think we do have a bit of a 'Super Mario Galaxy' situation going on at Moon - We initially prototyped so many ideas, created levels and left quite a bit on the cutting room floor, simply because these ideas didn't fit into the game anymore, but they'd definitely still be very interesting to explore.

So, let me just ask directly:

What are the 3 things you'd like to see us do if we'd make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest?

I think we're always very attentive when it comes to hearing feedback from everyone, the entire Moon Studios Team is reading through every single comment on every single forum (Hell, I'm even using google translate to read what people on spanish / italian websites, etc. have to say :D) and we're incredibly pleased with the response we got for Ori, but we obviously always want to improve as a studio and create even better games than the ones we made before.

If we'd ever decide to make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest, our goal should be to turn it into what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to the original Super Mario Bros or what A Link to the Past was to the original Zelda. We're not interested in just churning out another Ori at all - if we do it, I can promise you guys that we'll again try to do the absolute best we can do to give you guys an experience that's remarkable and amazing.

Having said all that, fire away, we'd love to hear your feedback! :)

1-Puzzle ,Puzzle ,Puzzle
2-New game+++
3-Bigger Levels, And some dark,mystery horror feel.

Exentryk

But then the people who like the difficulty don't have as much fun. I guess making a easy mode would be a better idea. I don't want my gameplay made easier just so another person can experience the game, though.

Yeah, that's fair too. An easy mode with checkpoints, and a normal/hard mode without them might work.

Haunted

Get rid of the doors linked to number of full energy cells you have. That was a bad call.
Oh yeah, those were annoying and arbitrary. I didn't see a good design reason to rob players of their energy reserves/having players hunt for a blue crystal if they didn't have enough. If it was intended as a gating mechanism (i.e. players need this many to accomplish the challenges within), that could've also worked by checking the empty containers. Or just put blue crystals on both sides of the energy gates.

easily fixed

Hynad

Banned
Yeah, that's fair too. An easy mode with checkpoints, and a normal/hard mode without them might work.

I died nearly 300 times during my first playthrough! xD

I was reckless and tried lots of things I probably shouldn't have. But it was a lot of fun.
The difficulty never seemed unfair. Yeah, some parts were quite the spike in difficulty compared to what had come before, like the Ginso Tree (at least for me), but it was such a fun part that I didn't really get frustrated over the little wall placed before me. In fact, I wish there had been even more epic parts like this in the game. It's probably my favourite part even if the rest is quite amazing as well.

In any case, I hope their next project retains the difficulty, as long as it remains fair like the first game. But making an easy mode for the less patient/skilled/whatever could be a good idea. Auto-checkpoints seem like a good idea, or maybe make the enemies easier to beat or do less damage... But personally, I wish they just keep it the way it is with Ori and leave the less patient of you to cry. =P

Korosenai

1. Get rid of the doors linked to number of full energy cells you have. That was a bad call.

2. I did not like the chase sequences. I loathe snap reflex trial and error segments in general in games. There is no sense of reward for them either. I'm not a better gamer because I've been exposed to a videogame version of shock therapy. It is an arbitrary exercise in skill.

3. No more map shut outs. Also a bad call.

4. if there are some ideas to give the player control of multiple characters to work various moving parts of a puzzle, I strongly urge you to resist that urge. :)

5. Storytelling: Furlorn Ruin had the most interesting story to tell with its setting. The game needs more of that. Give a sense of identity with every frame in the game. The world looked pretty but was ultimately bland. Also, Kill the narrator. Less is more.
In response to your chase sequence frustration, I'll say two things. The reward is getting to the end and how good it feels to complete something that challenging. Also, it does make you a better game, because I bet if you were to do it again after finishing it you'd probably do it on your first try. It also helps prepare you for the later chase sequences.

Hynad

Banned
In response to your chase sequence frustration, I'll say two things. The reward is getting to the end and how good it feels to complete something that challenging. Also, it does make you a better game, because I bet if you were to do it again after finishing it you'd probably do it on your first try. It also helps prepare you for the later chase sequences.

I couldn't agree more.

I had a hard time with the Ginso Tree the first time I played. I probably lost over 30 lives just at that spot. *cries*

But during my second playthrough, I managed to do it in 7-8 lives. I wasn't as stressed as during my first time there, but it was just as fun, if not more, since I was now a little more skilled.

I really don't want those epic parts to go away if there's a sequel. To me, they're part of what defines Ori.

it'd be a shame to create a game world - one with its own lore, creatures and especially original theme - and not do anything further with it. there are games with less that have gone on to spawn many sequels based off of the titular character alone. ori's a great standalone title, but i'd hate to see moon put a sequel on the back burner. there can't be only one story to tell in nibel, and nibel certainly isn't the only place out there.

As someone who doesn't play these type of games really, and who died 436 times by the end, I wouldn't get rid of the chase sequences.

While I do feel some of the parts of a few were a bit cheap ( last one especially), I reveled in the challenge. I died 436 times and i didn't really get frustrated. This is probably the best platform / side scroller I've ever played. I loved every minute and was sad to see it end.

So feedback from a novice platformer and who died a LOT: this game is absolutely amazing.

I couldn't agree more.

I had a hard time with the Ginso Tree the first time I played. I probably lost over 30 lives just at that spot. *cries*

But during my second playthrough, I managed to do it in 7-8 lives. I wasn't as stressed as during my first time there, but it was just as fun, if not more, since I was now a little more skilled.

I really don't want those epic parts to go away if there's a sequel. To me, they're part of what defines Ori.

it's interesting how they're boss battles in their own right considering their place and difficulty.

i don't think they should go away, but i'd like to see climatic sequences that are focused less on running away from scripted enemies. perhaps Moon felt differently and wanted to stress environmental danger without taking away from the main adversary of the game. my suggestions thus far seem more centered around the combat in the game considering how addicted i am to that aspect. Ori doesn't seem to value the player vs enemy engagements so strongly though. I imagine the reason the game handles so well is because it's focused on movement and precise environmental maneuvers.

jimboton

So far I'd say:

1 More, harder puzzles. Real a-ha moments. They don't need to be all on the critical path if you're afraid of some people getting frustrated.

2 No more cheat upgrade paths please. If they're called 'secrets', let them remain secrets for the duration of the game. Don't give us the ability to see them on the map, to reveal hidden passages etc. Exploring in a real metroidvania should never be reduced to Assassin's Creed/ Arkham Asylum levels of banality of going to the marked spot on the map.

3 Yeah, locking the player out of a visited area is not what people expect from metroidvania, so it's probably wise to avoid it.

Overall I think Ori is really cool and I'd love a sequel. It's not exactly short and it's not exactly unchallenging, but I think it's permanently afraid of outstaying it's welcome. It's such a hurried experience. I think escape sequences are great, I loved them, but there should also be times to reflect, to be a little lost, need to think where to go, to be stumped by a puzzle, to go all 'eureka' when you manage to get an impossible collectable... that sort of thing is what I missed the most.

Hynad

Banned
it's interesting how they're boss battles in their own right considering their place and difficulty.

i don't think they should go away, but i'd like to see climatic sequences that are focused less on running away from scripted enemies. perhaps Moon felt differently and wanted to stress environmental danger without taking away from the main adversary of the game. my suggestions thus far seem more centered around the combat in the game considering how addicted i am to that aspect. Ori doesn't seem to value the player vs enemy engagements so strongly though. I imagine the reason the game handles so well is because it's focused on movement and precise environmental maneuvers.

I think they're better than regular boss fights, which have become a little cliché and overdone as if they've always been obligatory. It sure is a refreshing take on what "bosses" can or should be.

see5harp

No more chase sequences in any sequel. They sound good on paper, but they fast become frustrating when there's issues with frame-rate and responsiveness.

I don't think frame rate had anything to do with my frustrations or deaths during those sequences. It was the reliance on enemies attack patterns with a very "analog" game non binary platforming system. To be honest I felt like the only one that made me actually mad was the first one. The next 2 or 3 were pretty easy.

EDIT: and now after watching someone else's video I see that there was a damn jump pad that I actually never used. Now I feel like the sequence can be done pretty easily. LOL

Ashtrax

So, let me just ask directly:

1. A prequel would be much better in my mind, I feel that Ori's story is complete with this game, and it would be great to develop the story on how the world came to be prior to Ori's journey, especially as you have set up such amazing possibilities with each of the locations.

2. Spoiler for this one:
Co-Op, one of the great things that you elude to at the end of the game is that there is at least one other the same as Ori, a shared journey would be great!

3. MORE GUMO... Honestly, I thought everything else was perfect, and I firmly believe that you shouldn't stray too far from the original formula, so for a third thing, just add more of Gumo.

Either way, amazing game! I will say it was a clever move to heighten the impact of the emotive cutscenes by placing them straight after your most intense sequences. There were so many tears during my playthrough! (That music especially, so good, picked up a copy of the OST via iTunes after
the Ginso Tree escape
).

Thanks again, the best experience I've had so far in 2015!

I don't think frame rate had anything to do with my frustrations or deaths during those sequences. It was the reliance on enemies attack patterns with a very "analog" game non binary platforming system. To be honest I felt like the only one that made me actually mad was the first one. The next 2 or 3 were pretty easy.

EDIT: and now after watching someone else's video I see that there was a damn jump pad that I actually never used. Now I feel like the sequence can be done pretty easily. LOL

I'm actually annoyed with myself I didn't capture the slowdown/frame-rate issues I had with the Ginso escape. They were shocking and really made some jumps almost impossible.

Not sure if it's an issue with my hard drive nearly being full or having Netflix running in the background, but there's something up with the frame-rate for me. Really frustrating when it happens.

I'm actually annoyed with myself I didn't capture the slowdown/frame-rate issues I had with the Ginso escape. They were shocking and really made some jumps almost impossible.

Not sure if it's an issue with my hard drive nearly being full or having Netflix running in the background, but there's something up with the frame-rate for me. Really frustrating when it happens.

Do a hard reset and try again?

Grisby

Since you can't contoune after you bear it, what's the point of no return? I'm now inside the Forlorn Ruins for reference.

Does the game let you know?

Colbert

Banned

Having said all that, fire away, we'd love to hear your feedback! :)

1) a 50% checkpoint as an option in the escape sequences for people like me that suck in platforming :) and fast reflexes :)
2) that said, more escape sequences, sequences w/ hidden shortcuts (example Shadow Complex)
3) sorry, but ability to get back into the forest after finishing the game to look for all the stuff :)

watership

I think they're better than regular boss fights, which have become a little cliché and overdone as if they've always been obligatory. It sure is a refreshing take on what "bosses" can or should be.

Boss fights are something I dislike in games. Doors shut, no escape, fight, look for patterns, boss goes through phases of movement or attacks, repeat. I welcome any game that finds a way to get rid of them or move in another direction for large challenges.

Wasp

I'm just about to start the Forlorn Ruins. I'm aiming for 100% completion and I've heard a lot of people miss stuff in this area. Anything I need to be particularly careful not to miss?

Also I still haven't unlocked triple jump. Do I need it to get every item in this area?

p3tran

Banned
so, I finished the game.

Congratulations again Thomas Mahler & Moon Studios.

I really enjoyed my playtime, and will play again to collect 100%

this game brings me confidence that smaller projects can rival (& beat) whatever 'AAA'

screenshot-originaly0lvg.png

NIN90

I'm just about to start the Forlorn Ruins. I'm aiming for 100% completion and I've heard a lot of people miss stuff in this area. Anything I need to be particularly careful not to miss?

Also I still haven't unlocked triple jump. Do I need it to get every item in this area?

In the last section (after the gravity stuff), there is an area at the top of the map. Don't go there until you cleared out the area to the right.

Hmm so the game is frustrating? As someone who does not like platformers as the primary gameplay mechanic, can I enjoy this just to take in the sights and sounds?

Seeing comments about jump difficulties and frustrating escape sequences...

Hmm so the game is frustrating? As someone who does not like platformers as the primary gameplay mechanic, can I enjoy this just to take in the sights and sounds?

Ori is very much a test of your platforming skills.

If you really dislike platformers then it's truly impossible to recommend the game in my opinion.

I just did the first dungeon. Holy smokes, that escape was awesome! It took a bunch of tries but I made it! The whole thing was intense!

Wasp

It is moderately challenging but you can save pretty much anywhere (apart from those three escape sequences) which helps a lot.

The difficulty is pretty similar to Rayman Origins/Legends, with the escape sequences on a par with Tricky Treasure/Invaded levels.

Vitor711

This would be a VERY good idea.

Even if you don´t allow to go back after the end.

Bring a teleport system from the save shrines after a certain point in the game so we can look for collectibles more easily.

Thanks! I mean, I honestly was totally expecting this to happen. It felt so obvious and sign-posted. I mean, why else include those save shrines and have them featured so prominently on the map? It definitely feels like something that could maybe be added post launch - just warp us back to before the final 'battle' and let us clean house. As it stands, I have no urge to go back to the game and redo everything just so I can try and 100% it, especially as I know that some items are missable.

Oh, and if the devs do listen to everyone and add more chase sequences - for the love of everything, either add a 50% checkpoint or make sure that the jumps are completely 100% unambiguous. Having a wall be partially covered in flame before the last lantern on the final sequence was SUPER confusing. I had no idea if I could touch it or not. And with instant death occurring if you dawdle for too long, there was no way to test it out without having to redo the entire sequence multiple times.

Timed platforming with forced scrolling can be great (see the music levels in the last Rayman) BUT it has to be really, really obvious what you need to do next. If you make it even slightly vague, that's where frustration sets in. Games like Super Meat Boy work so well because the platforming is more of a test of what you're doing, not how to do it. You just don't have time to work out the how if it's not immediately apparent. I think that's why a few people hated those sections. It's not the entire run that's tough, but just that one bit where it isn't obvious what needs to be done.

Good God I hate this one part in the
second temple
or whatever. Where you're
carrying the stone thing upside down and need to make perfectly timed jumps with backward controls
. I've died like 50 times trying to do this damned thing. I'm all for difficult games but when they're so finnicky that a single frame can be the difference between life and death, I hate it. Really slowed my enjoyment of the game.

Edit: And I just did it first try after posting this. Always.

Vitor711

Good God I hate this one part in the
second temple
or whatever. Where you're
carrying the stone thing upside down and need to make perfectly timed jumps with backward controls
. I've died like 50 times trying to do this damned thing. I'm all for difficult games but when they're so finnicky that a single frame can be the difference between life and death, I hate it. Really slowed my enjoyment of the game.

Edit: And I just did it first try after posting this. Always.

My issue is that some of the spikes on the edges of platforms are too close to what appears to be a safe zone. That happens throughout the game. It's not always clear that you're about to take damage. It felt a little inconsistent.

Thanks! I mean, I honestly was totally expecting this to happen. It felt so obvious and sign-posted. I mean, why else include those save shrines and have them featured so prominently on the map? It definitely feels like something that could maybe be added post launch - just warp us back to before the final 'battle' and let us clean house. As it stands, I have no urge to go back to the game and redo everything just so I can try and 100% it, especially as I know that some items are missable.

We might still add a few things with the upcoming patches. We want all of you guys to be happy :)

My issue is that some of the spikes on the edges of platforms are too close to what appears to be a safe zone. That happens throughout the game. It's not always clear that you're about to take damage. It felt a little inconsistent.
Yep totally agree there. Really tough to tell how close you can get to the edges.

puebla

The 3 things I'd like to see in a sequel

1. Epic boss fights
2. Don't lock anything out, it takes away from replayability
3. New Game +

Also don't listen to the people asking for checkpoints during escapes, they're weaksauce.

Top Bottom