• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

royox

Now that quite a few people here have finished Ori and the Blind Forest (our Tech Team is currently working on a patch that should fix all the issues that have been reported to us, so that everyone can enjoy their experience), let's maybe talk about the future a bit :)

At Moon Studios, we're very proud of the world we created and we've been talking about what we'd like to do for a sequel - Note that this in no way means that we're working on a sequel at this point, we're just starting to do our Post Mortems and start figuring out what we could potentially do for a sequel and whether or not a sequel would actually make sense for us.

As I said before, I think we do have a bit of a 'Super Mario Galaxy' situation going on at Moon - We initially prototyped so many ideas, created levels and left quite a bit on the cutting room floor, simply because these ideas didn't fit into the game anymore, but they'd definitely still be very interesting to explore.

So, let me just ask directly:

What are the 3 things you'd like to see us do if we'd make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest?

I think we're always very attentive when it comes to hearing feedback from everyone, the entire Moon Studios Team is reading through every single comment on every single forum (Hell, I'm even using google translate to read what people on spanish / italian websites, etc. have to say :D) and we're incredibly pleased with the response we got for Ori, but we obviously always want to improve as a studio and create even better games than the ones we made before.

If we'd ever decide to make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest, our goal should be to turn it into what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to the original Super Mario Bros or what A Link to the Past was to the original Zelda. We're not interested in just churning out another Ori at all - if we do it, I can promise you guys that we'll again try to do the absolute best we can do to give you guys an experience that's remarkable and amazing.

Having said all that, fire away, we'd love to hear your feedback! :)

Just finished it. 7hours run (not 100). You made me fucking cry more times than a grown up man would admit.

My 3 Things:

-KEEP THE BASH. It's cool, it's new, it's FRESH and it's god damn FUN. Loved that move, loved how the gameplay changes the moment you learn that move. Please...more games with that.

-More enemy variety. I feel like I've been killing the same 3 monsters all over again and almost every enemy is just a pain in the ass to deal with (hundreds of projectiles and need 10 hits to kill some of them, etc).

-Boss battles. It's not a big deal but I wish I could have fought some big foes using Ori's skills like returning projectiles at X moment or something.

10/10 my personal goty. Thank you for the feels trip.

pd: (My fucking thumbs still hurt after the last scape secuence you damn b*stards ;D)

pd2: I saw a Triforce engraved on a tree...what was that?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Beat it, fantastic game. Biggest issue would be visual noise obscuring enemies and attacks and some fairly hefty difficulty spikes.

amnesia

I have no words to describe how beautiful this game is. I can't wait for Ori 2 (or whatever you guys will decide to make).

lt519

Just finished 99% missing one life cell, I think because of the Forlorn Ruins. Something like 350+ deaths haha. A lot were from insta death in Horu and from pressing my luck earlier in the game to get things I shouldn't have been going for.

Couldn't find the last map stone in Mt Horu. Mt Horu was awesome I loved all the individual rooms being treated like puzzles and using all the skills you've learned so far in the game.

Just looked at some of those achievements, those are nuts. No deaths is just nonsense, I refuse to believe someone has actually done that :p I might go for the under 3 hours though, the platforming was so smooth and I could see a speed run being fun. I took my time with this one clocking around 8 1/2 hours. A lot of backtracking every time I got a new power instead of waiting until the end to make it easy on myself.

Well done Moon, this was one of my favorite games ever and I'm looking forward to more playthroughs.

Nabs

I don't know if I ever posted it in here, but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed the game. I loved it from beginning to end. I loved the level of difficulty, the ending runs that forced you to master your newly found skills, and the overall atmosphere of the world. The 3 things you should do for a sequel or new game is to just keep doing what you're doing and continue to grow. x3. You got it. You know what makes a game fun and interesting. Keep doing that.

PaulloDEC

Are there any other idiots like me who didn't immediately realise you could hold down the Y button to aim more precisely with the Bash move? I got all the way through the
Ginso Tree
without knowing. Probably would've had a much easier time with the
escape
sequence and the
purple projectile redirecting
puzzle immediately before it if I'd realized.

OriAndTheBlind1080p.jpg

All credit goes to our Fanart Contest winner Maggie Lisakowski :)

Oh dear lord. I'd kill for a 2560x1440 version of that.

If you make a sequel, here are a few things I'd recommend:

1. Higher resolution art for higher resolution monitors. This game doesn't look as crisp blown up to 2560x1440, and I'd imagine it gets worse beyond that. I understand this is the nature of 2D games, but it was a shame to see such a gorgeous game looking a bit worse on my primary gaming monitor.

2. I didn't like the chase sequences. This was actually my biggest complaint with the game. With so many visual elements on scream and so little time to react, I felt like I had to memorize the layouts before I could complete these without dying. Dying towards the end and having to repeat the whole thing was frustrating. They felt a little unfair to me. I don't have a suggestion for fixing that though...

3. Some kind of HUD fade option :)

I'm a little late to this party (had to go out and buy a controller) but just finished the
Ginso Tree escape sequence
and wanted to say that was one of the (if not the) best/most exciting gaming experiences I've had in a long time.

I absolutely love everything in general about this game so far. The atmosphere - it really feels like its own little world, the animation, the controls, the music, the level design, the special abilities are really fun, the difficulty level is just right...

These guys really, really know what they are doing and I hope to see much more from them.

Maedhros

Well, thanks for the dungeons locks! Now I need to restart the game from the beggining because I missed one item in the dungeon!

puebla

Man, floating up to the Sorrow Pass was one of the most majestic moments I've had in gaming ever. I'm assuming once I enter the mountain I won't be able to back out and collect everything?? I'm gonna go for full completion before entering.

lt519

One thing that would be fun in a sequel would be a "boss rush" mode but with the escape sequences. I'd love to replay them and go for challenges (no damage, least number of jumps, etc) but them being locked out after one go is a bummer. Man look at me, I haven't gushed over a game like this in a long time. I'm afraid I won't be able to play anything else and enjoy it for a while!

Akua

Banned
Can't express how much I love this game. Upon beating it, I already consider it one of my favorites of all time. Can't wait to see what else the studio puts out.

As I said before, I think we do have a bit of a 'Super Mario Galaxy' situation going on at Moon - We initially prototyped so many ideas, created levels and left quite a bit on the cutting room floor, simply because these ideas didn't fit into the game anymore, but they'd definitely still be very interesting to explore.

So, let me just ask directly:

What are the 3 things you'd like to see us do if we'd make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest?

1. As others have said - Fast Travel is a must. The game is stellar but once you're going back to 'mop up', it's tedious to have to traverse halfway across the game to pick up one lone orb you missed without any sort of fast travel.
2. As others have said - No locked out areas. This is a no-no in a metroidvania. But to extend that, perhaps have the dungeons 'reset', with an even higher difficulty level somehow.... I don't know how. I'll leave that to the wizards.
3. Real boss encounters. The chase scenese are great, and definitely need to be retained in a sequel as they require that twitch mastery of the platforming abilities. But it would be great to have a full-on boss fight where you need to air-bash and platform around him with that same level of mastery, using charge flame to open up weak spots where you could attack with spirit flame and bash and whatnot. Seems like there could be some HUGE potential here

4. I need an honorable mention here if you'll indulge me. For the achievement community - Collectibles achievements are fine, but they should (IMHO) never require absolute 100% of every nook and cranny. A 'cushion' of sorts is highly beneficial, especially with an achievement system as unreliable as the Xbox One. I'm now stuck at 88% on Every Stone Unturned, which prevented me from being the 2nd person on TA to 1000gs the game even having explored every secret area because a few of them didn't register on my first playthrough, and several others I know of just within my small circle are in a similar situation. The people unlocking it have had to resort to exploiting the achievement tracker gaining credit % wise for the same secret multiple times.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
1. As others have said - Fast Travel is a must. The game is stellar but once you're going back to 'mop up', it's tedious to have to traverse halfway across the game to pick up one lone orb you missed without any sort of fast travel.
2. As others have said - No locked out areas. This is a no-no in a metroidvania. But to extend that, perhaps have the dungeons 'reset', with an even higher difficulty level somehow.... I don't know how. I'll leave that to the wizards.
3. Real boss encounters. The chase scenese are great, and definitely need to be retained in a sequel as they require that twitch mastery of the platforming abilities. But it would be great to have a full-on boss fight where you need to air-bash and platform around him with that same level of mastery, using charge flame to open up weak spots where you could attack with spirit flame and bash and whatnot. Seems like there could be some HUGE potential here

4. I need an honorable mention here if you'll indulge me. For the achievement community - Collectibles achievements are fine, but they should (IMHO) never require absolute 100% of every nook and cranny. A 'cushion' of sorts is highly beneficial, especially with an achievement system as unreliable as the Xbox One. I'm now stuck at 88% on Every Stone Unturned, which prevented me from being the 2nd person on TA to 1000gs the game even having explored every secret area because a few of them didn't register on my first playthrough, and several others I know of just within my small circle are in a similar situation. The people unlocking it have had to resort to exploiting the achievement tracker gaining credit % wise for the same secret multiple times.

Hm...i must have the same issue. My first play through had me at 67%. Now my second run has me at 88% but I'm yet to enter the final dungeon. I also had secrets get tracked on my second run that I could have sworn I had already done on the first run.

Hope this isn't broken. I've explored every nook and cranny over 2 playthroughs and I'm at 88%.

J.W.Crazy

Just finished and have to echo what everyone else is saying. What a great game. It's already up there as one of my favorite games of all time I think. It's got a few rough spots for sure but nothing too bad. (Hopefully they'll be smoothed out in a sequel!)

I think I said it in this thread before but it looks amazing in 3D. If you can it's absolutely worth checking out for the 3D alone. Out of the box it's got a few problems but there's a fix over at the Nvidia forums that makes it pretty much perfect.

RoKKeR

Just finished. Wow. What more can be said about this game that hasn't already. Absolutely loved it, easily my favorite game to be released on Xbox One thus far and the best platformer I've ever played. Granted, I don't play many platforms, but it's pretty clear to tell that Ori succeeds greatly in that space.

So impressed with the team at Moon for creating not only a visual/audio wonder, but also a game with tight controls, fun, engaging, and difficult gameplay all wrapped up in an incredibly beautiful, detailed, and varied world that encourages and rewards exploration. Seriously, what more can you ask for in a game?

Congrats to Thomas and everybody at Moon, can't wait to see what you guys have in store for us next. Will think about the "3 things" question a bit more and post my feedback when I've collected my thoughts a bit more on what I'd want to see in a potential sequel.

watership

I am really loving the art and music in the game through my second play through. I wish we had more close ups on Ori, and more up close character moments.
I love the final shot of Ori sitting on the tree trunk. Screenshotted the hell at the end of my second run through. :)

Thomas, I'm not sure if you said this yet, but do you guy have any merchandise yet? Any plans?

Lingitiz

Just finished at about 7 hours on the PC. Loved it immensely.

This game really comes from the Nintendo school of design, which in recent memory the only non-Nintendo game to do it well was Portal 2. It builds upon the initial mechanics so well, constantly teaching you until it becomes muscle memory. Then it all culminates with a final test bringing everything together. It also throws in so many mechanics that would sustain whole games, but doesn't let any of them overstay their welcome. The storytelling is excellent and does it through a very minimalist style that doesn't interrupt the gameplay. The way the big moments flow together without the need for egregious exposition top-notch.

It's a fantastic blend of great challenging gameplay, fluid controls, design, art/graphics, sound, and storytelling. It's really hard for me to find a huge fault here.

I want to say more but I'll let it sit for a while. Overall I'm feeling super satisfied right now and I'm there day 1 for anything Moon Studios puts out. Brilliant game.

Wozman23

Just finished tonight. Really enjoyed it throughout.

3 Things for a sequel:
1. Fast Travel
2. Different elements for the main attacks (could be used to combat enemy weaknesses or for puzzles/barrier)
3. Ambitious request: playable Gumo (I love his design!)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah a couple of achievements must be wonky. Unless Misty Woods has a Map stone, I have all the map stones but my achievement tracker says 87%.

I'm at the final area. Damn it's so hard
But i have to go to bed. I might cheat here because it's pretty dumb
Lava is blocking every which way. I made it to the top right door which stopped the Lava in 1 place. But I'm stuck after that. I jumped all the way to the left door (still at the top) and I can move the 2 moving platforms left and right with the lever and that's it. Not even sure if that's where I should be. Sigh. I've tried everywhere and it's all blocked with Lava

Finished it this weekend, took about 11-12 hours. I missed leveling one last ability and missed the last moonstone. Guess I will be replaying it soon!

Absolutely loved the game, one of the best platformers since my childhood!

Hynad

Banned
I'm at the final area. Damn it's so hard
But i have to go to bed. I might cheat here because it's pretty dumb
Lava is blocking every which way. I made it to the top right door which stopped the Lava in 1 place. But I'm stuck after that. I jumped all the way to the left door (still at the top) and I can move the 2 moving platforms left and right with the lever and that's it. Not even sure if that's where I should be. Sigh. I've tried everywhere and it's all blocked with Lava

Hint:
Try to time a jump as the platforms move from one side to the other.

You should be able to figure the rest. ^__-

Ziffles

60%, 115 deaths. :I

Good game still but I really hope the next metroidvania is a little more Super Metroid, and a lot less Super Meat Boy.

Mannnnn. Accidentally broke the game for myself. At the
Ginso Tree Boss Fight.
anyone have an idea how I can salvage this situation? Super bummed out. I don't want to have to play 3 hours over again.

Huge bummer. I'm an idiot for making a save point there, I realize. I was just trying every button combo in the hopes it would get me out. ):

Link. Be careful with your saves duders!

Mannnnn. Accidentally broke the game for myself. At the
Ginso Tree Boss Fight.
anyone have an idea how I can salvage this situation? Super bummed out. I don't want to have to play 3 hours over again.

Huge bummer. I'm an idiot for making a save point there, I realize. I was just trying every button combo in the hopes it would get me out. ):

Link. Be careful with your saves duders!

I hate to say it, but it looks like you're thoroughly boned because of that save point.

yea that save looks fucked unless you manage to aggro the enemy's projectiles and bash out or something (worked when i had the water glitch).

there's another spot in the game on the last level that i almost got stuck in.
in the dungeon where you need to move the small rock to block the lava beam so you can cross, there's a spirit light container on the top. i don't remember how i got it the first time (if i did), but this time i tried to juggle it up in the air to block the beam so i could pass underneath it really fast. well, in one attempt, i juggled the rock too far and it rolled off the platform, so i was trapped on one side of the beam with literally no way to get out other than dying to go back to the save point.
if i had saved in that corner, i would have been boned.

that's the major oversight with placeable save states. it'd be nice if they patched in a "revert to last save point" option, or at least implement something like it in a sequel.

as a rule of thumb, don't save near hazards, enemies or water, and especially not if you notice a glitch. repeating a sequence is less punishing than losing a save file because of a bad save.

fardeenah

Banned

i loved the game so much,

1. keep the same dev team, same music composer, same artist, etc. the same core dev.

2. make the game longer! make it more like a AAA game this time, i would not mind paying 60 dollar for this game if it had more gameplay, more boss, more areas, larger maps and more stuff to do. just increase the scope of the game that dwarf the original. and keep a good heatfelt story like this one, i loved that u give the villain its motivation instead of it being a mindless killing machine.

3. more chase sequence! i loved it so much, felt like a rush along with the music. one complaint though, the chase sequence felt like too much trial and error, i died so many times not knowing what to do next, the chase sequence should be clear enough for the player to know what he is doing, dying all the time not knowing what to do breaks the flow of the game.

if i mind all a final word, keep the game difficulty as it is, make a few more checkpoints but keep it as it is, and a new game plus would be nice, along with release on more platform like vita or ps4, but PC version should be a must! don't compromise the experience with weaker consoles. this game should be next gen with high assets and more pc settings like borderless and 4 K, and no frame drops.

i consider this game art. it made me feel so much, like journey and shadow of the colossus. it will stay with me for years to come. even my gf watched the intro and was mesmerised.

thank you, i might have been long but wont miss the chance to say thank you.

Story ending question:

Why does Kuro get disintegrated by the light at the end, when she had no problem flying through it to steal Sein in the first place? Was it just the power of rage that let her survive the first time?

We're getting quite a lot of requests now from various sites regarding Post Mortems, articles about Oris development, etc.

Just wanted to ask what topics you guys would be most interested in. We've been working on Ori in secret for around 3.5 years and I think we have quite an interesting approach to game development.

Are there any topics you guys are specifically interested in hearing from us?

fardeenah

Banned
We're getting quite a lot of requests now from various sites regarding Post Mortems, articles about Oris development, etc.

Just wanted to ask what topics you guys would be most interested in. We've been working on Ori in secret for around 3.5 years and I think we have quite an interesting approach to game development.

well, an introspect from concept art to first prototype to overall design and the making of story, music score and choice of platform etc. in short, gimme everything u can

-the philosophy behind ori's combat and movement abilities, especially bash.
-the thought process that led to the distinguishing each level with a specific color palette, and how those visuals set the atmosphere and tone in order to flow with the narrative.
-pitfalls you encountered and design decisions you wanted to avoid (like having sein shoot instead of ori).
-parts of the game you're unsatisfied with or would do differently
-i also want to know what a level looks like from its inception - how ideas are brainstormed and how layouts are designed - before it becomes playable.
-what everyone's favorite and least favorite levels are.

Nbz

I've seen a couple German, Austrian, Dutch, Danish, English and Polish names in the credits. Clearly quite a diverse group of people. :) Where are Moon Studios actually located?

The final energy cell is in the last dungeon, yes.

YES! That means I didn't miss anything in the Forlorn Ruins or Misty Woods. Looks like I'm getting 100% on my first playthrough after all haha!

Exentryk

Do you need to have all the abilities to be able to clean up the map of all the orbs? Or is everything reachable after the
feather
? I ask because I just entered
Forlorn ruins
, and I still have stuff on the main map to get. Should I exit outta here and get stuff, or can I get those things even after
Forlorn ruins
?

Be interesting to hear the ideas that didn't make it in the final game.

Top Bottom