• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest |OT| A Soft Heart for the Hard Core

I got the game Friday, and all I can say is that it is incredible. Music/Graphics/Gameplay triple threat. I just finished the Misty Woods, and I'm having a blast.

I'll be replaying the game quite a bit too, I can already tell.

DNC

Neo Member
What are the 3 things you'd like to see us do if we'd make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest?
This is from a friend in another forum, 33bits.

1-. Keep the same audiovisual aspect and "bash" ability. They're a must!
2-. "New Game +" ad infinitum, more dungeons and with epic escape climax in each one, come back to the game so you can complete it 100%. Same level design (even more big and complex if you wish!).
3-. More lore like gumons and Forlorn Ruins. The game can be set in an unseen section of the Forest of Nibel (we don't know how big it is) or in a new closer place. Re-visit some old areas can be cool, like Gearbox did in Borderlands 2.

The 3 things I'd like to see in a sequel

1. Epic boss fights
2. Don't lock anything out, it takes away from replayability
3. New Game +

Also don't listen to the people asking for checkpoints during escapes, they're weaksauce.

+1 ...No checkpoints for escapes!

Toa TAK

Banned
Hey guys, some of the endgame escape sequences/timed boss fights in the Metroid games are a little tough, can we add checkpoints to those in the future?

eshwaaz

I'm about 2/3 through the game now. What an extraordinary experience.

Easily one of the most gorgeous games I've ever seen, and the consistency of quality and style is incredible. Every single scene is worth admiring - so much attention to detail, so much movement, such a powerful sense of place. The amount of work here is staggering.

Thankfully, it's also a joy to play. Responsive controls, wonderful sense of progression, surprisingly stiff challenges. The first "escape" sequence is the only time so far I've been genuinely frustrated - the rest of the game has been perfect for me.

Level design is outstanding. So many areas where I shake my head in amazement at how clever and inventive the navigational puzzles are. Just brilliant.

I hope this sells huge for Moon. They've earned it.

JonnyKong

How do I reach the map piece in Sorrow Pass? I'm trying to charge jump up there, but it's too high. Do I have to come down to it from above?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
We might still add a few things with the upcoming patches. We want all of you guys to be happy :)

Does the patch address how the game loves to hard reset our consoles?

As to 3 things for a sequel?

1. No locked off areas. You're supposed to be able to return to all areas in Metroidvanias to be able to 100% them

2. New game plus

3. Can't think of a third to be honest. I just want the two above.

so, I finished the game.

Congratulations again Thomas Mahler & Moon Studios.

I really enjoyed my playtime, and will play again to collect 100%

this game brings me confidence that smaller projects can rival (& beat) whatever 'AAA'

screenshot-originaly0lvg.png

Thanks for the new desktop wallpaper, brah!

So, let me just ask directly:

What are the 3 things you'd like to see us do if we'd make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest?

1. Big beautiful boss battles
2. At least one other playable character (during the game proper)
3. Some sort of secret challenge area where it just goes all out

There are more, but those are my top picks. The game did not disappoint!

Is there such thing as the title screen bug on Xbox One?

Basically, it says "press A"... So I do... And then nothing. The background is still moving but no save files or options are showing.

Really fancied a blast of this tonight been going so well.

Tell me it isn't broken? :sadface:

KingKong

I know there's nothing in options, but did anyone find a way to edit the files or something to change the controls? Really want to rebind jump to a side mouse button instead of hammering the spacebar

Christ the second escape is tough as nails. I only have 6 health bars -- did I go in with too few? I'm getting crushed.

Edit: And I beat it. Every time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
RE: Boss fights, I'm conflicted on how I feel about that...Rayman Origins/Legends is one game that I think did them terribly wrong. First, in a lot of ways they were trial and error due to not knowing the movement or attacks. I see some of that levied at Ori for the escape parts, but I didn't feel like it was really in that style--I found it more hectic, on the fly thinking to bash around and stay above and away from hazards. Though a few spots felt more like gotcha moments, mainly stuff with falling boulders. While these bosses could have stuff like going off screen and zooming in on a section that you can barely react to, so you eventually just know where to be on the screen.

But when this happens with a boss fight relative to the escape sequences it is FAR more tedious. Even something like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was irritating in this regard. Bosses generally ramp up as they progress, so what happens when you die? Back to square one. The slow, boring part needs to be redone. Checkpointing could get around it, but eh...I feel that undermines the fight, much like I wouldn't want safety nets during the escape parts. There are very few platformers that I feel really do boss fights justice, especially in 2D. Yoshi's Island is one of the standouts as they were really inventive.

Ori could do cool stuff, but I already liked the stuff like
using the background to sneak by, or the 'chase' that was more like a platforming obstacle
and didn't feel like it was missing actual bigger fights. But I'm all for it if they're inventive and unqiue, and not just attack pattern on repeat x3 that gets faster.

Zero2kz

Fuckkk. I am butthurt. I am pretty sure I just passed a point of no return, and I only had 97% complete in that area.

I kind of dont want to play the rest of the game now that I probably cant 100% lol.

This is ridiculous, now the orb won't spawn when I enter the area. I have to trial and error my way up the platforms until I can find it dropped halfway through the area. It would be great if I could move and hold the damn thing.

Edit: and then I somehow remedied it by using both the d-pad and the analog stick.

Good on you guys to find all these things - I still try to play Super Metroid in the fastest way possible with the sequence breaks... I hope people will try to outmatch each other, trying to find the best possible time to play through it :)

JonnyKong

Oh man I would have loved to have taken a screenshot of the "fan art" pic after the credits to use as my background, but the words didn't leave the screen.

Anyway, the three things I would like for the sequel are,

The ability to fast travel to different points on the map.

Being able to remove the 'hud' from the screen so you can take screenshots.

Being able to re-enter areas to collect missed stuff.

Takashi

Echoing what most people have said, but:

1. No locking out areas/collectibles

2. I've always been a fan of post main story content, so a few extra dungeons with some more story elements would be nice. Maybe a very difficult secret final dungeon for completing all of the others and gathering all collectibles. And New Game+ on top of that.

3. Don't make escape sequences a must have thing for every single dungeon. I think the novelty will wear off fast, and a dungeon won't be so much about what new puzzles and challenges it will have compared to previous ones, but instead just a thing one has to get through to get to the inevitable escape sequence. I mean I like the escapes, I just don't want them to get predictable.

Also, Bash is very fun. So more stuff like that lol.

Just finished it...genuinely felt emotional at the end, much to the amusement of my missus and her cold, calculating anti-video gaming mind. ;)

Amazing game and journey. Massive kudos to everyone at Moon. It felt like the perfect example of how a game but be something far more involving and relatable than a book or film.

I cannot praise the game enough. Aside from some annoyances that others have already aired regarding locking us out of areas after the event, it's beautiful.

I don't know what I'll play now... :'(

Thank you again Moon.

Navy Bean

Just finished...great game throughout, loved the last mountain levels/rooms. Beyond enjoying the game I now have a collection of 20+ beautiful screenshot backgrounds for the Xbox... Kudos to Moon Studios.

NIN90

Just finished it. Really wonderful game. One of the best games I played in years.
I especially liked how the added abilities made going through the earlier areas really fluid. When I was cleaning up towards the end of the game I was just breezing through one end of the map to the other largely without even touching the ground.

Shredderi

Well I must say... Just finished this. Don't know when was the last time I felt such a sense of wonder and awe while playing a video game. The marriage of best 2d visuals I've seen and outstanding music/sfx made Ori and the blind forest an utter pleasure for the senses. Good level design combined with good game design and mechanics made it a pleasure to control. I really fell in love with the flow of the game once I unlocked bash. So much fun and fluidity in navigating the world. Congratulations for Moon studios on the game. Ori and the blind forest is the best game I've played in a long time, just beating Hotline 2 for me (which I adore). I know it is way too super early, but I'm really looking forward to see what you guys do next.

taoofjord

Just finished the game and I absolutely adored it. It's up there with Shovel Knight as one of the great modern 2D platformers. Fantastic job to all those involved.

My one critique: the achievements popping up at key moments during the cutscenes really takes me out of the experience. I'd like them to be timed better, perhaps after the cutscene ends.

lt519

I am at the last level and have to say this may be one of my favorite games of all time. I need to let it marinate for a little bit but between the amazing gameplay and visuals it's hard to think of something I've enjoyed more in the recent years. I'll post more when I finish tonight but I'm at 89% now with 11/12 life spheres, 14/15 energy spheres and 25 ability spheres.

Quickly, things I would keep:

1. Power up abilities to see where the items on the world map are. It's fun exploring and discovering on your own but naturally progressing to the point at end game where you can get 100% without a guide is a huge plus in my book.

2. Escape sequences: They were amazing even if they were a bit trial and error. They added to the suspense and were a good test of the abilities you've acquired.

3. The save system: What a great idea, I got so quick by the end I was saving frequently on the run and never ended up in a tough spot because of poor saving

4. Simple PC optimization: I personally hate when games give me too many options because I end up fiddling and worrying about my FPS instead of playing the game. Dropping it to 720p full screen and a constant 60fps was perfectly fine for comfy couch gaming.

Things I would fix/add:

1. Fast travel to Map Stones
2. Missable Items
3. Once you accessed a secret passage (hidden wall) allow it to be seen on the map. You did a great job of having shortcuts from one area to another but I often forgot where they were since they were hidden passages.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful game!

Navy Bean

Echoing what most people have said, but:

1. No locking out areas/collectibles

2. I've always been a fan of post main story content, so a few extra dungeons with some more story elements would be nice. Maybe a very difficult secret final dungeon for completing all of the others and gathering all collectibles. And New Game+ on top of that.

3. Don't make escape sequences a must have thing for every single dungeon. I think the novelty will wear off fast, and a dungeon won't be so much about what new puzzles and challenges it will have compared to previous ones, but instead just a thing one has to get through to get to the inevitable escape sequence. I mean I like the escapes, I just don't want them to get predictable.

Also, Bash is very fun. So more stuff like that lol.
Agree with all of this. 2 things I would add to this list:

1. Limited fast travel between map markers (or once you hit a threshold completion % for an area).
2. Give players Bash from the get-go.

Last point is don't mess too much with the formula here but just trying to go bigger and crazier with everything. Tons of games do this and usually leads to a lesser experience.

Phenomic

There's a 100% completion speedrun at 00:57:31 at only 1 Death now... holy crap, even I can't complete Ori this fast, crazy!

Who is it and where can it be viewed? I guess me thinking of speed running this game is already over and ruined :p (I lack the time of day truthfully regardless)

Also before I go into this fantastic game all around. With a story that I almost couldn't get through the beginning of due to the waterworks, atmospheres are top notch, music is great, platforming tightness is some of the best I've ever played in a game. All of that essentially needs to not change at all outside of upping the anti and taking them further. I want to see all the jumping return, bashing and especially the Bash. This type of platforming cannot go away. That's about as much of an order I will ever give. I never want to play another game like this without Bash esque moves.

1) Bosses. Metroidvania thrives with tons of fun unique encounters that end and separate areas. I thought I was really in for it too when I saw what looked like a big spider nest fall from the sky and that guy creeping around at first. None of this ever came to be and I never had any enemy in the game I was actually afraid of. I know plot wise why this was the case and it makes sense in the context of the world you built, but I still want giant targets.

2) Variation. One of the biggest things I noticed were the lack of variety of enemy types over all (felt like a large number of color swaps even if some of them did slightly different things) and the fact that you really have only a few attacks. One short ranged light beam attack felt underwhelming and I never really felt overpowered by the end of the game. I wouldn't necessary say you have to go crazy and put 200 swords in the game, Metroid has a good balance with Spazer, Wave, Ice and Plasma.

3) Backtracking. This is just one of those things that has to be available. I've seen too many people on Twitch miss 100% and get upset without realizing whats going on. Also if you build a much much bigger map next go around fast travel is always nice. Didn't seem so much necessary to me with the flow of how Ori went. I could get anywhere pretty fast late game.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Now that quite a few people here have finished Ori and the Blind Forest (our Tech Team is currently working on a patch that should fix all the issues that have been reported to us, so that everyone can enjoy their experience), let's maybe talk about the future a bit :)

At Moon Studios, we're very proud of the world we created and we've been talking about what we'd like to do for a sequel - Note that this in no way means that we're working on a sequel at this point, we're just starting to do our Post Mortems and start figuring out what we could potentially do for a sequel and whether or not a sequel would actually make sense for us.

As I said before, I think we do have a bit of a 'Super Mario Galaxy' situation going on at Moon - We initially prototyped so many ideas, created levels and left quite a bit on the cutting room floor, simply because these ideas didn't fit into the game anymore, but they'd definitely still be very interesting to explore.

So, let me just ask directly:

I think we're always very attentive when it comes to hearing feedback from everyone, the entire Moon Studios Team is reading through every single comment on every single forum (Hell, I'm even using google translate to read what people on spanish / italian websites, etc. have to say :D) and we're incredibly pleased with the response we got for Ori, but we obviously always want to improve as a studio and create even better games than the ones we made before.

If we'd ever decide to make a sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest, our goal should be to turn it into what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to the original Super Mario Bros or what A Link to the Past was to the original Zelda. We're not interested in just churning out another Ori at all - if we do it, I can promise you guys that we'll again try to do the absolute best we can do to give you guys an experience that's remarkable and amazing.

Having said all that, fire away, we'd love to hear your feedback! :)

I really only have two and #1 could actually still apply to the first game:

1) Retail release
2) More Gumi

I LOVE this game. The soundtrack, the visuals, the story, the world and its inhabitants... all of it is so awesome. I love having physical copies of my favorite games, so it saddens me that I won't be able to do that with Ori. :(

You guys did an excellent job with this game though! I think it actually surpasses a lot of the AAA games of recent memory.

Haunted

I've seen a couple German, Austrian, Dutch, Danish, English and Polish names in the credits. Clearly quite a diverse group of people. :) Where are Moon Studios actually located?

Are there any collectibles in the final dungeon? I need one more energy piece ;_;
The final energy cell is in the last dungeon, yes.

Top Bottom