• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OT | Dutch General Election 2017 | Exit Poll: Major underperformance for Wilders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carn82

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN18B25J?il=0

The Dutch official overseeing coalition talks between Prime Minister Mark Rutte's conservative VVD and three other parties said on Monday that discussions had broken down.

Edith Schippers told reporters the parties were unable to agree on immigration policy, one of the biggest issues during campaigning for a March 15 national election. She said she would submit a report on the talks' failure to parliament as soon as possible.

Rutte's party, the largest in parliament, must now investigate whether building an alternative coalition is possible.

spons

Gold Member
The least worst option just got flushed down the toilet. It's either Wilders, more Christian bullshit or fringe parties coming together. I don't like any of those. The people have chosen terribly this election.

The least worst option just got flushed down the toilet. It's either Wilders, more Christian bullshit or fringe parties coming together. I don't like any of those. The people have chosen terribly this election.
I'm hoping for ChristenUnie then, considering they at least care about "taking care of Gods creation" when it comes to climate change.

Damnit, I thought this was our best shot at a government. Things are going to to take a while now...
Nobody really cares I think. The economy is going fine for now, finances are back in order, unemployment down. I doubt Rutte is in much of a hurry.

CrunchyB

Well, this coalition was not ruled out completely, they'll just explore other options next.

Good luck with that 🙄

Totally as (I) expected. The differences on issues such immigration and integration are too big to bridge between GL and CDA/VVD.

I'm hoping for ChristenUnie then, considering they at least care about "taking care of Gods creation" when it comes to climate change.

CU is surprisingly pro-climate, like the most out of all the parties after GL and the PVDD.

Carn82

I wonder if CU can work with D66, they are pretty much the opposites regarding stuff like euthanasia. CU ain't that bad if you strip away their religious agenda, they're a bit Centre-left I guess.

Fuck... Does that mean they will continue to try without GroenLinks?

Please don't make the government too religious. It's the Netherlands for fuck's sake. We need to go on moving forward. Not backwards like most other countries.

Please don't make the government too religious. It's the Netherlands for fuck's sake. We need to go on moving forward. Not backwards like most other countries.
Huh? VVD and D66 are not religious. And CDA had pretty much ruled the country half the time already and we managed to push a ton of stuff through anyway. A religious government is a non issue for the most part.

Cabaratier

Neo Member

We have way too many shitty eurosceptic, climate sceptic, personal responsibility, NIMBY people in this country.

Huh? VVD and D66 are not religious. And CDA had pretty much ruled the country half the time already and we managed to push a ton of stuff through anyway. A religious government is a non issue for the most part.

Well, what are the options? CDA and CU are still in the running, technically, right?
Though i agree that CDA doesn't seem like a real religious threat to the country.

But it's still a party with a lot of backwards ideas.

We have way too many shitty eurosceptic, climate sceptic, personal responsibility, NIMBY people in this country.

Had to Google NIMBY, but yeah, haha.

CrunchyB

And CDA had pretty much ruled the country half the time already and we managed to push a ton of stuff through anyway.

We pushed stuff like euthanasia and gay marriage through when the Cda didn't rule the country, under Paars I & II.
But the VVD has made a conservative shift since then, they keep blocking legalization of weed for instance. The Cda has been stuck in the '80s and potential coalition partner SGP considers electricity to be witchcraft, I'm not thrilled with those people having any kind of power.

We desperately need some progressive parties in the coalition. People forget sometimes, but the Netherlands was a total conservative backwater country before WW2. The last few years of Rutte weren't terrible, but we were mostly treading water Imo. Some vision would be nice for a change.

spekkeh

Banned
I want to like GroenLinks but when push comes to shove they fuck it up every time. Did in Utrecht, now here again. Well at least it means D66 will be bigger next time around.

Well, what are the options? CDA and CU are still in the running, technically, right?
Though i agree that CDA doesn't seem like a real religious threat to the country.

But it's still a party with a lot of backwards ideas.
The religious nutjobs are the SGP and DENK at the moment. Nothing really large. CDA will go with the farmers and money.

We pushed stuff like euthanasia and gay marriage through when the Cda didn't rule the country, under Paars I & II.
But the VVD has made a conservative shift since then, they keep blocking legalization of weed for instance. The Cda has been stuck in the '80s and potential coalition partner SGP considers electricity to be witchcraft, I'm not thrilled with those people having any kind of power.

We desperately need some progressive parties in the coalition. People forget sometimes, but the Netherlands was a total conservative backwater country before WW2. The last few years of Rutte weren't terrible, but we were mostly treading water Imo. Some vision would be nice for a change.
Wasn't the whole world a conservative backwater before World War 2? Can't really compare those things. Parties like the CDA know they can't push against things like gay marriage or anything even if they wanted to, people won't accept it.

I don't really see that many progressive steps we are supposed to take here at the moment, and I don't see any party turning back time either, so I'm good with most coalitions that just take care of the finances a bit and push for some climate change and green energy initiatives.

Kabouter

Wasn't the whole world a conservative backwater before World War 2? Can't really compare those things. Parties like the CDA know they can't push against things like gay marriage or anything even if they wanted to, people won't accept it.

By modern standards, absolutely. However, even within the Europe in the interbellum, the Netherlands was quite traditionally conservative and relatively religious. This can be seen in for instance the much more limited influence of both the (far) left and far right (with the NSB gaining at most some 8% of the vote in Provincial elections, and 4% in national ones), and the complete dominance of the Christian parties (and pillars). Much has changed since, though the left by now has largely lost what influence it gained in the post-WW2 era. The far right on the other hand is much stronger now than it was then.

I want to like GroenLinks but when push comes to shove they fuck it up every time. Did in Utrecht, now here again. Well at least it means D66 will be bigger next time around.

Yes, I like many of their ideas, but they seem insufficiently pragmatic and they hamper their own influence in that way. I agree with some of their more idealistic standpoints (on much of their environmental policies for instance), but their politicians need to realise that in this country compromise is the name of the game, and at the end of the day it's better to ameliorate some negative policies or institute some that are a small improvement than to be left out of the process entirely.

No GL is a shame. We could use a green government. But at least they stuck to their guns when it comes to immigration, that was always gonna be tough with those hardliners from VVD and CDA.

GroenLinks should have compromised on migration policy, bunch of idealistic fools. I'm not voting for them again if we now end up with a coalition that's much further to the right. (which seems inevitable now)

YourMaster

Yes, I like many of their ideas, but they seem insufficiently pragmatic and they hamper their own influence in that way. I agree with some of their more idealistic standpoints (on much of their environmental policies for instance), but their politicians need to realise that in this country compromise is the name of the game, and at the end of the day it's better to ameliorate some negative policies or institute some that are a small improvement than to be left out of the process entirely.

It's their environmental policies that are most problematic I think. If they want to invest a lot in the environment, that would be a valid position, and they claim they do and have electoral success with it, but their policies there are horribly inefficient and counter productive. With a tenth of the budget they propose you can get ten times the environmental progress. I think with their international politics they are actually the dutch party that would harm the environment most of all parties.
For a small and dense country, but already clean country like the Netherlands to protect the environment it would be most effective to focus on technological development (if you invent a green technology that can be used around the world it affects 6 billion people, not 16 million) and invest the rest in the third world where they are pollution on a whole other scale with many, many more people.

GroenLinks should have compromised on migration policy, bunch of idealistic fools. I'm not voting for them again if we now end up with a coalition that's much further to the right. (which seems inevitable now)

I think there's a good chance in a few weeks for the groenlinks to be back at the negotiation table.

Aiii

So not worth it

I'm a bit surprised that you did not see this coming.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
It's their environmental policies that are most problematic I think. If they want to invest a lot in the environment, that would be a valid position, and they claim they do and have electoral success with it, but their policies there are horribly inefficient and counter productive. With a tenth of the budget they propose you can get ten times the environmental progress. I think with their international politics they are actually the dutch party that would harm the environment most of all parties.
For a small and dense country, but already clean country like the Netherlands to protect the environment it would be most effective to focus on technological development (if you invent a green technology that can be used around the world it affects 6 billion people, not 16 million) and invest the rest in the third world where they are pollution on a whole other scale with many, many more people.

I think there's a good chance in a few weeks for the groenlinks to be back at the negotiation table.

We are not a 'clean country'. https://www.cbs.nl/en-gb/news/2016/13/only-5-5-percent-of-energy-comes-from-renewable-sources

"The Netherlands performs poorly when it comes to meeting the targets as agreed upon in the EU Directive Renewable Energy for 2020. In fact, only France does worse. "

Cabaratier

Neo Member
It could have gone either way, I was expecting them to look at the other potential coalitions and realize that compromising would be better than letting go of the steering wheel entirely.

They possibly noticed D66 was a bigger ally than expected and then overplayed their hand vis-à-vis VVD and CDA, because they got cocky. I feel that it might just be a bit of a ruse though, and the parties will get together soon again. I really don't see what other options there are that are palatable to the 3 other parties. Ruling with the PVV seems to be (still) a no-go, and that would require another party (apart from CDA and VVD). I really don't see VVD ruling with the SGP, CDA and PVV. Replacing Groenlinks with CU and PVDA would basically replace Groenlinks with another Groenlinks, solving nothing. SP will not rule with VVD. So what options are there?

It could have gone either way, I was expecting them to look at the other potential coalitions and realize that compromising would be better than letting go of the steering wheel entirely.

Myeah, sadly a lot of the GL voters are probably ready to scream bloody murder at the first sign of compromise by Klaver.

Lets wait until we know more (which will probably take a few years) before blaming GL for this. I actually expect that CDA was the reason talks failed.

Condom

Happy that GL will probably not be in a next government.

The left should abstain from all this and keep their hands clean, we always get the blame for all the bad and the right gets the compliments.

YourMaster

We are not a 'clean country'. https://www.cbs.nl/en-gb/news/2016/13/only-5-5-percent-of-energy-comes-from-renewable-sources

"The Netherlands performs poorly when it comes to meeting the targets as agreed upon in the EU Directive Renewable Energy for 2020. In fact, only France does worse. "

I didn't mean clean as in 'clean coal'. One serious aspect of protecting the environment is to not have people throw their waste on their porches, not have farmers have their fertilizers flow into the streams and not have companies generate and or dump toxic waste into nature. We do quite well here - don't compare to other Euro countries, but to the world at large because plastic dumped on the street in Haiti flows into the same oceans as plastic from Sweden.

Energy consumption and fossil fuels are a whole different ballgame, and as a western country we do burn a lot of fossil fuels. But looking at a percentage of renewable resources is completely pointless and very shortsighted. If country A uses 3 times as much energy as country B, but has 20% from renewable sources compared to 2% that country B has, they still cause far more greenhouse gasses.
The Netherlands however is small, densely populated country, and as such has very little in land area to generate renewable energy. More is possible for sure, but the absolute percentage in total global carbon reduction is rounded down to zero, and the costs are high. Here as well the return on investment would be far, far greater if we try and help stop/reverse population growth in poor countries which pollute much more.

Let me do a concrete proposal to illustrate my point. Take these two premises:
A. Much of the third world still cooks with open fires, causing deforestation and carbon emissions. People have to travel further and further to find wood to prepare their meals. Using small wood-stoves instead of open fires would reduce the wood they require by over 80%, providing a higher standard of living, stop deforestation and reduce carbon emissions.
B. The largest renewable plan the Dutch government currently has, supported by groenlinks, is to invest billions in offshore windmills. Offshore windmills are far more expensive and require lots more maintenance(not good for environment) than land-based solutions, and they harm wild-life as well. The core of the windmills require rare earth metals that are currently only coming from China that are using horrible production methods in extracting them from their ocean floors, destroying their ocean life and even causing health issues for many natives.
Now what about if we just say 'fuck *t', don't do the windmills, but instead use part of all of the money we save to create and provide woodstoves for people in the third world who would benefit from that? The result would reduce carbon emissions by over a factor 1000, but we would drop further down that list you linked.

Energy consumption and fossil fuels are a whole different ballgame, and as a western country we do burn a lot of fossil fuels. But looking at a percentage of renewable resources is completely pointless and very shortsighted. If country A uses 3 times as much energy as country B, but has 20% from renewable sources compared to 2% that country B has, they still cause far more greenhouse gasses.
The Netherlands however is small, densely populated country, and as such has very little in land area to generate renewable energy. More is possible for sure, but the absolute percentage in total global carbon reduction is rounded down to zero, and the costs are high. Here as well the return on investment would be far, far greater if we try and help stop/reverse population growth in poor countries which pollute much more.
Plus, even if we better it ourselves, the EU would give the emission rights to others, because those are traded. Let's say we drop CO2 by 10%, then Germany gets to buy that share and use it anyway. Only doing this stuff in one small country as ours is not that productive. It helps of course, but larger gains are made by having the EU lower their limits overall. We can close modern energy plants here, only to have that being picked up by a wasteful plan in Romania or wherever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom