• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA Launch Thread - Kickstarting GAF's favorite next-gen console

Quasar

Well my ouya arrived. Hooked it up and installed plex, my reason for buying, works pretty well. UI is pretty responsive.

My one gripe is it not passing truehd/dtsma audio onto my avr and transcoding instead.

So at this stage I'm pretty happy.

saunderez

Anybody with an Ouya have some suggestions on games that are any good?

So far, I'm liking:
Polarity
Deep Dungeons of Doom
No Brakes Valet

I played Knightmare Tower for about 3 hours straight, give it a shot. It's your basic endless jumper but I found it really entertaining.

Well my ouya arrived. Hooked it up and installed plex, my reason for buying, works pretty well. UI is pretty responsive.

My one gripe is it not passing truehd/dtsma audio onto my avr and transcoding instead.

So at this stage I'm pretty happy.

Is that a DLNA streamer?

saunderez

Is that a DLNA streamer?

Yeah Plex is. I've tested the newest libstagefright build of XBMC on the OUYA and apart from being a bit crashy it's very impressive. Runs far better than on any other Android based device I've tested on, though haven't had the chance to try 1080p yet.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I received an OUYA in the mail. And I refuse to open it. I tried cancelling my order while the Kickstarter was still going strong.

I'm going to send it back. Has anyone else done this?

Metalmarc

Has anything been sucessful from a funded kickstarter yet?

I nearly bit for this, im kinda ok that i never bothered now

Has anything been sucessful from a funded kickstarter yet?

I nearly bit for this, im kinda ok that i never bothered now

Quite a few games actually.

Faster Than Light (FTL) is one of them. Chivalry is another. Don't forget our very own gaffer's game Sequence.

Shadowrun Returns is about to come out later this month.

cold_matches

Neo Member
Just got this fine new logo to boost (?) Ouya sales:
Wii-U-logo-1024x724.png

:D

http://bsurf.blogspot.com

Fox Mulder

So Ouya's best feature is flawed? Input lag on emulators... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXuLyP5tJqY

And see this for controller sync hilarity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNRXF_vEw1I

Could be his tv setup, USB drive, or a number of things. I haven't hooked mine up yet, but have seen other YouTube videos of ouya emulators that run fine.

This guy shows a bunch of consoles working, even pointing out the ones that run horribly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euaQcXnBF60

Fox Mulder

I finally got around to setting mine up and I don't get all the hate.

It's appealing as a compact little system, it fired up quickly, detected my wifi quickly, and downloaded an update by itself. The controller feels nice, but the dpad could be better. I guess humanity forgot how to make those. The hdmi and power cords are pretty short too.

I played some snes and genesis emulators, and they worked fantastic. I didn't notice any input lag on my HDTV. I will easily get my $100 worth from this with friends, hope it gets Netflix soon too. Sucks that others are so down on it.

I finally got around to setting mine up and I don't get all the hate.

It's appealing as a compact little system, it fired up quickly, detected my wifi quickly, and downloaded an update by itself. The controller feels nice, but the dpad could be better. I guess humanity forgot how to make those. The hdmi and power cords are pretty short too.

I played some snes and genesis emulators, and they worked fantastic. I didn't notice any input lag on my HDTV. I will easily get my $100 worth from this with friends, hope it gets Netflix soon too. Sucks that others are so down on it.

So you got lucky and don't get why others who were unlucky to get everything setup in the first try don't like it? Okay.

Can someone with a U.S. Kickstarter edition do me a huge favor and post a photo of the A/C power adapter? The guy I sold mine to on Amazon says the power supply wasn't in the box but I can't find it here anywhere. Granted, I don't really know what I'm looking for as I never bothered to hook up the damn thing.

Thanks!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have to say the OUYA is an Emulator machine at best. Telling you to search the web for Nintendo ROMs.

I also feel there aren't a good selection of games outside of FFIII being on there. But then again, they have an NDS emulator where anyone could just download the DS version of FFIII.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I received my OUYA yesterday. The only issue I had was that it didn't recognize my wireless mouse and keyboard on hot plug, I had to power it off and on again. And trying to navigate the browser with just the controller is a pain in the ass.

Now, with the Nova launcher, Amazon app store and XBMC set up on it, it is a great little machine. Total Commander is actually officially supporting OUYA and appear in the PLAY menu although it is not present in the ouya store.

I tried also couple of games, but my main use for it will be as a media player connected to my projector.

Unless I'm missing something, you can't even power up the console with the controller? Talk about an odd design.

Had issues connecting to the servers at first, failed to connect to my wireless network and pairing up the controller was a bit of a pain. Controller feels cheap, the d-pad is all mushy, but at least my buttons are not. Sometimes I won't have any sound, so I have to reboot the whole thing. The UI is nice...the games selection is LOL at first glance, but I'll take the time to try out some. Being able to install XBMC on it is cool, no need to jailbreak my Apple TV anymore!

Not sure what I think of it as of now, emulators seem cool so I'll probably keep it solely as a media/emulator machine.

saunderez

Unless I'm missing something, you can't even power up the console with the controller? Talk about an odd design.

This is very strange because I most definitely can power up mine with the controller. I turn on the controller, it wakes the Ouya and the controller pairs pretty much immediately. This is after turning the console off at the dash using the Y button. My friend can't on his, I'm not sure what the difference is between our hardware as we are both Kickstarter backers.

This is very strange because I most definitely can power up mine with the controller. I turn on the controller, it wakes the Ouya and the controller pairs pretty much immediately. This is after turning the console off at the dash using the Y button. My friend can't on his, I'm not sure what the difference is between our hardware as we are both Kickstarter backers.

I just found out why...there are 2 ways to shut down the console. The "normal" way by bringing up the menu which brings the console in a standby mode of sort. The other method is by holding the console power button for 5 secs, shutting it down completely including any bluetooth signals.

Edit: Testing out the browser right now and just discovered about the trackpad on the controller, I kept playing with the sticks to bring up the cursor. Neat.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, I received my LE Ouya. My expectations are as low as can be...but before even plugging in the system, I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I'm wondering if maybe the LE is better built, because my controller feels really nice. The brushed aluminum handles feel really solid (or are they just faux brushed aluminum?), and the buttons feel good. The face buttons are too clicky for my taste, but otherwise everything seems solid.

The battery compartments on the controller don't bother me at all either. Again, could be because of the LE build. The removable handles don't bend at all, so I'm not afraid of them breaking when I pull them off the controller.

I'll plug it in later tonight and have a go at it.

So, I received my LE Ouya. My expectations are as low as can be...but before even plugging in the system, I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I'm wondering if maybe the LE is better built, because my controller feels really nice. The brushed aluminum handles feel really solid, and the buttons feel good. The face buttons are too clicky for my taste, but otherwise everything seems solid.

I'll plug it in later tonight and have a go at it.

The sticks are impressive for sure, they made those well, the triggers are a different story.

I quite like the controller, it look you would think it's hueg liek xbox duke controllers but it's got a good shape and weight when you hold it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah the resistance on the back triggers is way too high. Not as bad as the DS3, but not great. The trigger mechanics also aren't very smooth... a bit gritty.

I've had my console for a bit now as a backer, but the strengths so far this has are the two things:

- Awesome for emulation
- Best games on the storefront are multiplayer

outside of that I hope devs stop doing shovelware and put stuff out that actually looks and plays solid. I'm optimistic but I feel like it'll be slow before it takes off.

I have to get an extension for it but I'll be doing some Ouya dev work at some point.

Tendo

I think I want this. I don't know why. But I think I want this. Ittle Dew, Towerfall, and the emulators are real close to selling me on it...

Nilaul

I like how their PR kept praising the controller the most; and their designers completely screwed it up (as in bottoms getting stuck in face-plate).

I like how their PR kept praising the controller the most; and their designers completely screwed it up (as in bottoms getting stuck in face-plate).

And the plastic analog sticks being easily destroyed thanks to the metallic faceplates.

And the wireless signals being spotty and unreliable thanks to ENCASING THE CONSOLE IN METAL.

Alric

My limited edition OUYA came in a few weeks ago. First thing I did was search on how to put a PSX emulator on there because none were on the store yet and played Nightmare Creatures. I'm happy with my stupid purchase.

Nilaul

And the plastic analog sticks being easily destroyed thanks to the metallic faceplates.

And the wireless signals being spotty and unreliable thanks to ENCASING THE CONSOLE IN METAL.

Thinking is too hard for them.

The only positive is the metal encasing (too bad they weren't bothered to fix the antenna issue). Nothing else is positive.

Seik

Banned
Anybody tried the EPSXE emulator?

That would kinda be a gamechanger if it runs full speed with most games at max internal resolution (if that's even doable on Android?). That would pretty much make it a perfect little 'everything' retro console to put my library on.

Let me know please. :)

Anybody tried the EPSXE emulator?

That would kinda be a gamechanger if it runs full speed with most games at max internal resolution (if that's even doable on Android?). That would pretty much make it a perfect little 'everything' retro console to put my library on.

Let me know please. :)
It's perfect but at normal ps1 res, you can enable some lite sort of filter to help the image look a little less crisp like older tv's but no high res options.

The psx emulator on the ouya store can do he rendering but it's rather bad, slows down, glitches and only works well with super simple games.

epsxe is great.

Seik

Banned
It's perfect but at normal ps1 res, you can enable some lite sort of filter to help the image look a little less crisp like older tv's but no high res options.

The psx emulator on the ouya store can do he rendering but it's rather bad, slows down, glitches and only works well with super simple games.

epsxe is great.

Hmmm, native PS1 res you say? Can you add scanlines to make the experience more authentic? Thanks for the quick answer btw, I appreciate. :)

saunderez

My triggers keep falling out too. Overall, feels like a pad that comes with a $99 console.
One of mine is bad (the one that came in the box with the console) but my second is really good. I'm trying to get an RMA on the crappy one, it is clearly from an earlier run where they were still having issues with the design.

Sorcerer

I received mine a week ago and got around to hooking it up.

I think my ethernet port is busted.

When I plug my ethernet cord in it actually wants me to manually set everything up, it gives me some option of dummy zero.

Every other device just automatically detects settings through ethernet, unless that is the way the console is designed.

Shenzakai

Banned
Great thread, thanks OP!

Still waiting for my OUYA Brushed Metal Finish KS edition + 2nd controller. DHL says its "received and dispatched" in HK. This since fucking 6/25!! Mail from support says will come until 7/11. We'll see... -.-

Beside of that disappointment I just can't wait to get my hands on it, hook it up and play the crap out of it! Already spent a lot of time on the website, reading stuff about games, watching vids etc.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, the tracking number for my backer console finally works! It says that it got registered in HK the 26 but still has to leave the terminal (?) ....

Shenzakai

Banned
Yay, the tracking number for my backer console finally works! It says that it got registered in HK the 26 but still has to leave the terminal (?) ....

Same for me. Says June 26th. Should arrive till today, but nothing received and status unchanged... -.-

eorl

Banned
So does this actually work well with XBMC and 1080p videos? I keep hearing that it can do 720p at best and even then it lags? If this does work, is it simple and easy to setup XBMC and not some hassle?

McSpidey

The hardware can do 1080p but the XBMC software that takes advantage of this hardware isn't ready yet and the alpha that is out isn't very stable and has flaws. They don't think there are any significant long term issues outside of some the Android OS itself may impose.

I see no real reason to buy this since my HTC One is like 2x as powerful as this is. lol.

That's great news, I have a HTC One too and also an Ouya as I saw a purpose for it being a small quick booting HTPC and emulator, it's whisper quiet and comes with a controller.

To get my HTC One to do that involves, getting the HD Media Streamer from HTC to play on my TV and a control pad, well that would come to close to £100 anyway and while I'm playing those games or watching those films I then can't easily use my phone.

SuperSah

Banned
But £100 for an Android gaming system?

Fair price, but in its current state (review wise), gonna give this thing a miss.

But £100 for an Android gaming system?

Fair price, but in its current state (review wise), gonna give this thing a miss.

All comes down to disposable income really. I didn't consider £100 too much for a risk on something that if the gaming side sucked I would still have a decent media streamer for my bedroom. BUT looking at it from another angle, almost a 1/3rd of the price of a PS4 with nowhere near a 1/3rd of the power. So yeah I can see people saying it's overpriced and under powered, but for me it does what I want it to do at a price decent enough that I bit.

Top Bottom