• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA Launch Thread - Kickstarting GAF's favorite next-gen console

Fox Mulder

But £100 for an Android gaming system?

Fair price, but in its current state (review wise), gonna give this thing a miss.

It's the same price as a roku and can (eventually) do the same things and play better games. I don't really look at it as a gaming console, but it fills a role. I'll get my moneys worth out of it.

eorl

Banned
The hardware can do 1080p but the XBMC software that takes advantage of this hardware isn't ready yet and the alpha that is out isn't very stable and has flaws. They don't think there are any significant long term issues outside of some the Android OS itself may impose.
Is there an ETA on the software? I might grab one now for our second TV while I utilise WDTV for 1080p on living room TV.

McSpidey

Is there an ETA on the software? I might grab one now for our second TV while I utilise WDTV for 1080p on living room TV.

Nope. XBMC is free software the team make for fun, they won't and can't be rushed, especially for their Android port.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I got mine today, only took the 3 days to arrive in Australia, pretty impressive. I quite like it so far, setting up the controllers was annoying though.

A question. Is there a way to stop kids from being able to purchase games? We were playing TowerFall? and at the end it's extremely easy to buy the game. So that sort of ruins any plans I had to just let play on their own.

Fox Mulder

I got mine today, only took the 3 days to arrive in Australia, pretty impressive. I quite like it so far, setting up the controllers was annoying though.

A question. Is there a way to stop kids from being able to purchase games? We were playing TowerFall? and at the end it's extremely easy to buy the game. So that sort of ruins any plans I had to just let play on their own.

You can put a lock on it that requires a pin to proceed. I do this with my ipad and phone too just to be safe.

Shenzakai

Banned
After over nearly four weeks the DHL status got updated last Saturday with the information that it arrived in my country. Then it kept unchanged until now, but I received a letter by DHL yesterday that it has arrived at the customs office (40km away from me °________°).

Gave them a visit this morning and finally got my shiny brown metal finish Ouya with 2 controllers. Holy shit, I've sent the Ouya team the same day where I saw the DHL status update a request for a refund (but before I saw the DHL status update). This was close, otherwise it would've been returned to them.

No I'm totally eager to get my hands on it!!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I got the console. The controller feels better than I expected. I actually might use it for PC games, since unlike the Wii Pro it has all the input necessary. But as the device itself... what there is to play on this that is actually worth it? i'm not into MP so Tower Fall isn't for me.

I tried Shadowgun, but without the pristine IQ i get on my phone this game looks kinda bad graphically and the controller only highlights the limited gameplay that this game offers thanks to its touch screen origins.

Also, is there a way to force games to display at 1080p?

I think the system defaults to 1080p since it doesn't support 1080i. Whenever I capture stuff, or view it on a 1080i TV, it defaults to 720p. I've had the system for a couple of months and for $100, I'm quite pleased with it. If nothing else, I've been able to get a ton of articles written about it and I feel proud to have more OUYA vids on the web than anyone else. Here's a piece I just did on how to sideload stuff on the system -
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/07/17/a-look-at-legally-sideloading-on-the-ouya/

The Amazon appstore is a cinch to install, so if you've got a lot of games on it, try some of them out. There are also a lot of mobile-friendly games you can get for free thanks to this thread on the fan-led OUYA Forum - http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?4422-Download-Free-Games-From-Google-Play

As far as OUYA-only games go, the best stuff I've played are the ChronoBlade demo, Knightmare Tower, FF III, Deep Dungeons of Doom (which has no Hulkamaniacs), Pixel Rush, and FlashOut 3D. For sideloading, Gunman Clive is beyond awesome on this and runs perfectly, is stable, and supports the controller without any trouble. Riptide GP is great...when it doesn't crash. Same with Beach Buggy Blitz.

Shenzakai

Banned
Now that I finally got it I can say that this thing looks just amazing. The controllers which I've got (one Brushed Metal Finish, one conventional) are feeling and holding very good and comfortable. No whaggling/loosening plates and the like. First system update took ~2hrs (I'm currently on low-bandwidth internet connectin -.-).

The OS is VERY minimalistic and doesn't have much things to explore, but that's just fine. Simple and sleek, just as expected. Annoying parts: you can't enter the OS without entering your credit card the first time you're firing it up. The shop ("Discover") section is very clunky, but at least there is a good search function. In general I like the look and feel, but there is a LOT of work to do for Ouya Inc. in terms of usability.

First game to load 'n try was Fist of Awesome. Looks gorgeous and was a lot of fun! :D Now there are a LOT of games already on my D/L queue (Towerfall, Sonic, Bomb Squad, Ittle Dew and many more). For me it will be mainly a emulator machine as well as for Indie titles and as a party console (MP with friends on the sofa :D).

Looking forward for these games and everything that's upcoming, good work!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just jailbreaked my Ouya and installed the Google Play Store. The whole affairs seems to be a bit unstable, but seems to work atm.

Vee_One

Unusual tweet here from Jeordie White aka Twiggy Ramirez:

@jeordiewhite: Trying to load Rom files on the OUYA.
I'm going to smash it

Not quite on topic but I was surprised that he owned one.

Now that I finally got it I can say that this thing looks just amazing. The controllers which I've got (one Brushed Metal Finish, one conventional) are feeling and holding very good and comfortable. No whaggling/loosening plates and the like. First system update took ~2hrs (I'm currently on low-bandwidth internet connectin -.-).

my first update to SIX hours and i'm on cable. I did over the weekend play Bennet Foddy's Get On Top which is coming to Ouya and I see great potential for party/drinking games heheh. Also finally got a chance to play Towerfall with 4 people and it was much more entertaining than the brief 2p game I'd tried previously.

kasane

I haven't really followed Ouya up to this point. But this have stuff like internet browsers and netflix? Of course it can be used as an emulator. I might give it a try if the price drops somehow.

DirtyLarry

So, I just jailbreaked my Ouya and installed the Google Play Store. The whole affairs seems to be a bit unstable, but seems to work atm.
Can you share a link on how to do this?

I actually was a Kickstarter backer, just liked the whole idea of it, so I have had it now for a month or so, and have fired it up twice now. Just not terribly impressed by the default capabilities. Really dug Vector, Knightmare Tower, and the parking game I am forgetting the name of. and have not had all that much time to try sideloading or jailbreaking. But I am ready to give it a whirl now, so any tutorials people can provide are greatly appreciated.

I haven't really followed Ouya up to this point. But this have stuff like internet browsers and netflix? Of course it can be used as an emulator. I might give it a try if the price drops somehow.
Yes, it has a browser and Netflix (although Netflix is not officially supported, you can SideLoad it). Works OK, a bit wonky.

CTLance

I finally freed my kickstarter Ouya from the terrible grip of the German customs office.

Booted it up, installed updates, play tested some games... After going online to research how to put batteries in the damn controllers. Why didn't they include a small slip on how to do that? They mention everything else IIRC, just not how to put batteries in the controllers. Strange.

Some really terrible stuff up on the store. Ugh. However, there are some neat games too, and at the very very least it makes for a hasslefree twitch / web radio player. Gonna need to explore some more. Also, some unlock fees were just a wee bit too high for my liking.

Pretty nice experience so far, I expected something horrible to be honest. Maybe I don't even need to install some Linux/Android cfw for full functionality.

Still pretty buggy though, and there's not one single smooth animation in the entire UI. Someone needs to re-nice some threads methinks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chronoblade's framerate is so bad. :(

Should I get bard's tale or ravensword?

Knightmare tower is great. Polarity is AWESOME.

Vector seems fun but is a little slow. I know the effect is a slowdown but honestly it feels like frames are dropping.

I feel like the hardware is not powerful enough for 3d at 1080p, everything feels very jittery and stutters.

robot

Has anyone tested a NES (or SNES) to USB adapter on Ouya? Curious if they work, could be a good alternative to the stock controller for the NES emu. You don't need a driver for either on the PC.

Has anyone tested a NES (or SNES) to USB adapter on Ouya? Curious if they work, could be a good alternative to the stock controller for the NES emu. You don't need a driver for either on the PC.

what titles support it? I have a NES USB right here with me but dont know what's best to start with.

Personally i still dont see the reason devices like Ouya, Steambox, Nvidia Shield etc would exist

They dont have exclusives and i can do so much better with a PC i always had

It is really puzzling

Your comparisons make no sense. A OUYA is $99. They are not targeting it at people that build/buy gaming PCs. They are marketing it as a gaming version of a ROKU box.

robot

what titles support it? I have a NES USB right here with me but dont know what's best to start with.

I tested the NES (and SNES) USB adapter with NES.emu, Snes9x, and MD.emu and they work. Just need to map the buttons (it actually registers as RetroUSB which is pretty cool). Great for anyone looking to grab an Ouya for emulators and aren't crazy about the controller. Wiimote/Classic Controller Pro also work really well.

Also sideloaded MAME4Droid and it runs really well. Tested a few games that I own PCBs of for comparison and I notice any differences (Aurail, Rally Bike, Mr. Do's Castle).

Honestly for anyone looking for an emulator box with very little setup, it's a pretty good value.

It's a damn shame Tower Fall doesn't have bots. It's a bit steep at $14.99 for a multiplayer only game. Nimble Quest is awesome, I just can't figure out how to buy it.

Fox Mulder

Is there a list of games WITH their prices? I really hate the fact that I can't see how much a game costs in the Ouya Store.

not that I'm aware of.

The store is clunky. Free demos for everything is great and all, but why can't I just see how much it costs or buy it immediately through the store?

Shenzakai

Banned
Is there a list of games WITH their prices? I really hate the fact that I can't see how much a game costs in the Ouya Store.

Not officially. I think because their philosophy is that every game should basically be free. Think of it more like shareware. Play a part of the game for free and then pay for the full if you like it. Shareware also revealed the full version price at the end of the "demo".

Anyway there is a good overview of the prices over at the unofficial OUYA forums:
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3355-The-Software-Pricing-Thread

BTW: got my 13.37$ redeem code as well. Very nice from them! :)
Already bought some games and I'm quite happy with them.

CTLance

Heh, I finally got to play around with my Ouya this weekend for two or three hours.

I could not withstand the siren call of a Zelda Clone, I sent my 13.37 plus spare change straight to Ittle dew. Loving the puzzles, finally something meatier than in the zeldas. Still, now, after the purchase, it seems like I am locked out of the demo dungeon. Booh. Not a terrible loss, but a loss nonetheless. :(

My friends have decided I am batshit insane for "wasting" that kinda money for "crappy android games". They couldn't get into pelting each other with arrows, they had played "you don't know jack" often enough to have grown tired of it, and one of them found the pinball arcade game with its ~90$ "IAP". Suffice it to say they were not terribly impressed. Which makes me sad, since that'd have been a nice usage case: portable multiplayer console. Oh well. I'm not giving up yet.

I'm liking this little cube so far. Although, to be honest: I will always feel like it is upside down when I look at it. The curved surface belongs on top, dagnabbit!

Gets pretty warm, too. Plus, I would have liked a more customised advanced settings menu. Looks really out of place.

Nibiru

Banned
So they didn't get my address right and it was returned to sender then after a long back and forth they ship it to me UPS and it has a $64 import charge!!!!

I have never been more disappointed with a purchase. NO ONE buy this. If you look at my old posts on this product i was a defender of it. I don't want anyone to go through what I have. Stay Away.

Fox Mulder

So they didn't get my address right and it was returned to sender then after a long back and forth they ship it to me UPS and it has a $64 import charge!!!!

I have never been more disappointed with a purchase. NO ONE buy this. If you look at my old posts on this product i was a defender of it. I don't want anyone to go through what I have. Stay Away.

That sucks, but has nothing to do with the product really. I bought mine retail and have had zero issues with anything.

If anything, stories like yours is just another reason why I ignore kickstarter entirely. If a product sucks, at least I can return it to a retail store.

Shenzakai

Banned
Beside the fact of the delayed delivery (got mine on 7/11) which has been fixed for me with th 13.37$ redeem code, I'm totally happy with the sexy little cube. Already did 12 purchases and so far I LOVE those games!
There a few nasty things like input lag or the in general unpolished OS/GUI, but guys, stay calm. This is not a Multi-Billion-Dollar project from a huge company but from a small group of ppl which are loving games to the bottom of their hearts and which want to free the games in several manners. So far I love the concept and I'm very confident that they will do a great job once the release rush has settled down a little bit.

Just give it a try!

The 4 player couch gaming sessions are worth the purchase alone! It's just awesome just like back in the days with my SNES and N64 :D
Speaking of them, playing all the retro stuff on emulator is just a blaze on Ouya! You can play all your games for literally nothing (i.e. instead of paying 8$ on Nintendos eShop which is hilarious!) plus you can play all the gems which Nintendo wasn't able to release for somewhat reasons (i.e. Yoshi's Island or licensed titles like the one from Disney).

Tired of gaming? Just fire up Plex, VLC or XBMC and watch some movies and TV shows!

Games like BombSquad, TowerFall, Ittle Dew, dropchord, GET TO THA CHOPPA!!1, Saturday Morning RPG, Knightmare Tower, Organ Trail, Polarity or Rose and Time, just to name a few, are just gorgeous!
They're compared to the "big players" so damn addictive, charming and you can fire them up all for short game sessions without having to remember where you left off and with additional 60hrs of gameplay ahead of you. Everyone who works and has a GF/wife and/or children knows what I mean!
On workdays, if I get the time to play, I'm only playing on Ouya right now just because of these reasons, but don't get me wrong, I'm still loving AAA titles as well. It's just that I play them now only if I have more than 1hrs or 2hrs to spent. This most likely happens on weekend and in holidays.

Everyone seems to expect a full-fledged competitor for PS/Xbox/Wii U, but Ouya never wanted to be such a competitor! I think you get the point. Now go to a friend who's owning this neat cube or give yourself a go and grab one from your local retailer or Amazon.

Shenzakai

Banned
Just to pump up some good mood in terms of OUYA ;)

liAkA.jpg

Bz8Ia.jpg

xkZcD.jpg

tYtqI.jpg

Shenzakai

Banned
No offense, but I'm not your son dude.

Sorry if this is the common perception, but this was/is not my intention.
Just to let you know, I'm in no way affiliated with the Ouya team / Boxer8 company. I'm just a Kickstarter backer/customer who is mostly satisfied with the product and I just want to paint a better image of the Ouya since the general tone is more negative by expressing my love for the console and the games which I've played so far.

There are plenty of threads/posts on NeoGAF where ppl expressing their excitement about games/products they love and I still won't claim they're trying to advertise because they're just happy about their things. Please understand :p

DigitalAdhesive

Neo Member
No offense, but I'm not your son dude.

Sorry if this is the common perception, but this was/is not my intention.
Just to let you know, I'm in no way affiliated with the Ouya team / Boxer8 company. I'm just a Kickstarter backer/customer who is mostly satisfied with the product and I just want to paint a better image of the Ouya since the general tone is more negative by expressing my love for the console and the games which I've played so far.

There are plenty of threads/posts on NeoGAF where ppl expressing their excitement about games/products they love and I still won't claim they're trying to advertise because they're just happy about their things. Please understand :p

I don't think he's your dude, Son.

I believe you when you say you're not affiliated with OUYA. Those images just scream "fanboy."

I'm just a Kickstarter backer/customer who is mostly satisfied with the product and I just want to paint a better image of the Ouya since the general tone is more negative by expressing my love for the console and the games which I've played so far.

Doing that by posting some random pics won't work on GAF, I can tell you that right now lol.

Top Bottom