• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has 7 million+ players

Moff

well deserved, it's been a very long time since a multiplayer shooter got me hooked like Overwatch
the reason I like it so much, besides the different characters is probably that is runs so incredibly smooth and looks so slick, well done blizzard

RexNovis

Banned
Rexnovis. Dude still hasn't gotten over his Division grudge lol.

You realize the thread title was changed to reflect amount of players. Not sold copies. Undoubtedly it sold millions. But calm yourself dude.

So let me get this straight you are still defending the current shit show that is The Division? I think we've gotten to the point where the vast majority of people now actually agree with me about the game's gameplay loop. I think it's more surprising that you're still rushing in to defend a game damn near everyone else has utterly abandoned.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So let me get this straight you are still defending the current shit show that is The Division? I think we've gotten to the point where the vast majority of people now actually agree with me about the game's gameplay loop. I think it's more surprising that you're still rushing in to defend a game damn near everyone else has utterly abandoned.
No I just find it incredibly odd to hold such a grudge against a game that you only played a beta of because a majority of GAF didn't, (and considering it still has quite an active OT still doesn't), agree with you about it's quality, followed by being so disgruntled about it's sales that it got you banned. It's ridiculous at this point dude. I'm trying to even imagine what your thought process is here? You're gloating that a game sold well after your disingenuous comparison thread where again, everyone was raising eyebrows and seeing through your schtick. There's like an insane lack of self awareness from you and it's incredibly sad since you never even bought the Division in the first place. And I say that as an owner of both games. Ubi and Blizzard both produced great games that are also incredibly well selling new IPs.

PC numbers have dropped. We don't have a clear estimate about consoles though. What killed The Division is it managed to have less post-game content than vanilla Destiny.

SwolBro

Banned
It's good to see the rewards for a studio that put together such an amazingly fun game. i'm usually the person that loves something most of the public does not, it's good to see both come together.

I'd love to know the breakdown of the sales between PC and consoles. PC undoubtedly has to be the leader in terms of sales because of that $40 price point which I thought was the correct price for this game.

Mind you, I didn't have any problem dropping $60 for it on ps4.

RexNovis

Banned
No I just find it incredibly odd to hold such a grudge against a game that you only played a beta of because a majority of GAF didn't, (and considering it still has quite an active OT still doesn't), agree with you about it's quality, followed by being so disgruntled about it's sales that it got you banned. It's ridiculous at this point dude. I'm trying to even imagine what your thought process is here? You're gloating that a game sold well after your disingenuous comparison thread where again, everyone was raising eyebrows and seeing through your schtick. There's like an insane lack of self awareness from you and it's incredibly sad since you never even bought the Division in the first place. And I say that as an owner of both games. Ubi and Blizzard both produced great games that are also incredibly well selling new IPs.

It's not the game I hold a grudge against its the huge member of people who jumped on me for voicing negative opinions about the game, its advertising practices and it's content release plans. When people such as yourself slander, laugh at, and dismiss someone they tend to take note. Your posts in this thread are completely OT and serve nothing other than to attack me personally so shame on you. My thread was not a schtick and I backed it up with copious data, examples and evidence showing as much. Nor did my ban have anything to do with The Division. So how about you stop defaming me and bringing up the division and me into threads where it had no place being. All it shows is that the only person with a "schtick" here is you.

This is OT so either create a new thread where I will gladly debate the current state of the division roll the cows come home or move this to PM. But I'm not gonna sit here and allow you to continue to slander me in unrelated threads.

PC numbers have dropped. We don't have a clear estimate about consoles though. What killed The Division is it managed to have less post-game content than vanilla Destiny.

Which of you were paying attention to the things I was saying "hey guys this is a red flag" prior to release end game content was one of the biggest ones. So, basically, as I foretold time has proven me right about the game. But this is OT so if you want to discuss the current state of the division I suggest either creating a thread or moving this conversation to PMs.

Speely

Banned
Hot DAMN that's a launch and a half for a new IP. Blizzard did everything so right. Now to refine the matchmaking/grouping, do some fine-tuning for heroes, and get that hero/map/mode payload moving toward the first big update.

Well-deserved. Game is tits.

TheYanger

Activision was expecting their biggest launch since Diablo 3, and this would fit the bill since it's bigger than Draenor and only slightly behind Diablo 3.

Edit:

Actually, Diablo 3 was 6.3 million in its first week: http://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-3-sells-6-3-million-3-5-million-in-first-day/
The D3 figure was including the annual pass sales too, wasn't it? Which was like a million or more people that didn't actually buy the game (I didn't).
7 million players doesn't exactly mean 7 million copies sold, especially since the game has a different business model in South Korea where users play it at PC Bangs. (dunno what the situation is in China).

Playing at a PC Bang isn't a seperate account though. The only place where you even can have a sale counted as more than one player is account sharing on consoles with primary console shenanigans, I think it's safe to say that that number is pretty fucking low in the grand scheme of things.

Crossing Eden

It's not the game I hold a grudge against its the huge member of people who jumped on me for voicing negative opinions about the game, its advertising practices and it's content release plans. When people such as yourself slander, laugh at, and dismiss someone they tend to take note. Your post in this thread was completely OT and served nothing other than to attack me personally so shame on you. But again this is OT so either create a new thread where I will gladly debate or move this to PM.
Bruh people disagreed with you about the beta of a video game yet you call that slander? People weren't slandering you in the slightest, you're just really easy to figure out with all of the division threads you made. You were so quick to "gloat" that you didn't even read the thread you linked.

ViciousDS

Banned
That's only the amount of players. There are people that buy games and then don't play them too.

Granted that's probably a lower number.

People thinking it wasn't going to sell better than The Division in that one thread are hilarious by the way.

Most people.i know.......have two copies. One PC and one of the console versions.....you can link your accounts. It wouldn't surprise me if sales are even higher

RexNovis

Banned
Bruh people disagreed with you about the beta of a video game yet you call that slander? People weren't slandering you in the slightest, you're just really easy to figure out with all of the division threads you made. You were so quick to "gloat" that you didn't even read the thread you linked.

Please continue to bring a completely off topic conversation into this thread. I hope it gets you banned. I've already made it clear I will not be responding. So go ahead continue misrepresenting my words and slandering me. I'm sure it will do wonders for you.

Ploid 3.0

I have changed my mind and will most likely get this game when it's on sale in a few years. $20 like Reaper of Souls.

Crossing Eden

Please continue to bring a completely off topic conversation into this thread. I hope it gets you banned. I've already made it clear I will not be responding. So go ahead continue misrepresenting my words and slandering me. I'm sure it will do wonders for you.
You have an incredibly odd definition of slander. ಠ_ಠ No one misrepresented your words or your actions. My first post in this thread was telling you to calm yourself after you so very eagerly bumped your comparison thread without bothering to read this one. That's not slander, that's something you did. Jesus christ.

This was a really weird tangent for this thread to go to

RexNovis

Banned
This was a really weird tangent for this thread to go to

You're quoting me as if I brought this totally OT theme up in this thread. I didn't. Nor did I continue to bring it up after my initial response on the post directly citing me in reference to said OT theme. Yet you chose to quote me and not the person originally dredging up the topic. I've already said I won't be addressing it further in this thread despite multiple posts seemingly trying to prod me into doing so. What more is it that you want from me exactly?

I really hope given the seemingly gigantic launch and the good chunk they are making from cosmetics, that we see a steady stream of new content regularly. While I love the game it could always use more. I'm hoping we start hearing about new modes, Hero's, legendary skins etc. soon

Anyone think No Man's Sky could top Overwatch?

I was shocked when they said 7 million players already in Overwatch. I doubt No Man's Sky can touch it or come close. I'd say within it's first week No Man's Sky will top out around 2 million total, PS4 + PC. Will probably have huge legs though so who knows where it will end up.

Damn! I honestly wonder if it the overwatch team is reacting like the giantbomb crew thought: not expecting it to go this well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Damn! I honestly wonder if it the overwatch team is reacting like the giantbomb crew thought: not expecting it to go this well.
Jeff Kaplan's personal expectations always seemed relatively humble and reigned in compared to Activision who always seemed very bullish (as of late) and spent their promotional budget accordingly, so I guess it depends who we're talking about.

The irony tho.
I'm sure they expected a success. I think they'll be cautiously pleased as they move into the "support" phase of the game. To some extent, this is the most important part now. Great launch, but they've gotta prove that it's here to stay here and the "next big thing" that it seems to promise to be!

RexNovis

Banned
Jeff Kaplan's personal expectations always seemed relatively humble and reigned in compared to Activision who always seemed very bullish (as of late) and spent their promotional budget accordingly, so I guess it depends who we're talking about.

I'm actually wondering how much those shorts cost to make. Those seemed to be the cornerstone of their marketing efforts.

ncslamm

GG Blizzard. This is all well deserved. The game is a blast to play and is the best game I've played since Diablo 3:ROS.

RexNovis

Banned
Not in a million years.

I suppose, LTD it could potentially reach it (I still say no), but it won't get these launch numbers.

I think No Man's Sky has the potential to be a massive succes with perhaps longer legs than Overwatch will (maybe depending on the post release support of the latter) but yea Overwatch is likely to be in a totally different league sales wise. It's straight up phenomenon level.

Top Bottom