• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has 7 million+ players

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I have a feeling this game will have longs legs. Wouldn't be surprised if it's also discounted on the Blizzard Store and on Xbox Live / PSN by Christmas to get even more sales this holiday season.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I never said you had a grudge. I highlighted a particular sentence. You calling out someone else's "schtick" is just hilarious. You have one of the most well-known schticks on this forum.
My schtick usually involves confronting driveby posts with a well articulated one accompanied by links to back up the points being made if you look at the posts I typically reply to in topics, (usually ones not involving humor). You don't know what irony means.

xVodevil

Well, not that surprising, since it sold out at many places and shit. Blizzard rocks, now use that money to make an awesome Diablo 4 :p

Fularu

Banned

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seeing the support the other games get (Diablo 3 with its big patches and seasons every 3/4 months, Hearthstone and its 786 expansions, HotS with new heroes every 3-4 weeks and a shocking amount of new maps) is super exciting for someone loving OW right now.

I wonder how long it will stay popular. It's extremely casual.

As are LoL, heartstone, COD, GTA and most of the biggest games. It has enough depth to still be interesting to top players. The fact that it's accessible is a good thing for its longevity not the other way round.

If Overwatch is casual, TF2 is too.

Maybe at release, but now with all the various weapons that do different things and in some cases completely change a character I think TF2 is probably one of the most complex shooters on the market. Mind you there's nothing wrong with casual I mean WoW was casual relative to most of it competition, and it became the mmo gold standard.

RexNovis

Banned
Longevity will depend far more on the level of post release support the game receives than any other variables at this point so it's best to wait and see how Blizzatd handles that before making predictions either way. But one thing is for sure it's off to one helluva great start.

Allegedly it sold 1m in China in 2 days

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/737665445583564800

edit: details from reddit

NetEase Vice President (Gaming) Li Riqiang posted this on Weibo (Chinese twitter) last Wednesday night China time, about 40 hours after the servers went live.

曾经以为在中国买断制游戏不可能破百万,直至遇上暗黑3。曾经以为暗黑3的纪录不可能被打破,直至遇上守望先锋。感谢各英(pi)雄(gu)支持
"There was once when we thought a B2P game in China would never hit 1 million in sales, and along came Diablo 3. There was once when we thought that Diablo 3's record would never be broken, and along came Overwatch. Thank you, Heroes (Butts) for all your support."

-There were quite a few industry people who were sceptical of Diablo 3's B2P model in China when it was announced, but it greatly outperformed expectations as NetEase and Blizzard jointly announced sales of 1 million after one week. It went on to sell about 2 million copies in China, I think. To clarify what some of you may be thinking, Diablo 3 is f2p in China but only up to level 70, all Reaper of Souls content is B2P. Sales figures here are referring to RoS.

-The last part of his tweet "...Heroes (Butts)" is a Chinese meme, commonly used to indicate that the words in parenthesis is what he's actually saying. The Chinese shitpost meta is mostly about "taking another hit" (of the drug that is Overwatch) 吸一口 whenever they see anything OW related, "the world needs more asses/butts" or similar, and calling the game 本子先锋, which can be loosely translated as Hentaiwatch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/...manently_banned_1572_players_in_china/d3su5jc

How!? If it was F2P like Dota 2 I could understand but... for a game that plays like many F2P MOBAs, sells cosmetics like F2P MOBAs, but launches at $60?

That is an insanely impressive achievement, and I'm now worried that I'm missing out on something amazing, at the same time as feeling lucky I've avoided a new strain of crack.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How!? If it was F2P like Dota 2 I could understand but... for a game that plays like many F2P MOBAs, sells cosmetics like F2P MOBAs, but launches at $60?

That is an insanely impressive achievement, and I'm now worried that I'm missing out on something amazing, at the same time as feeling lucky I've avoided a new strain of crack.

It is not a moba.

Pooya

game's been out for 10 days now, c'mon it's not a moba...

I doubt anything f2p out there plays or looks or feels as good as this btw. People like to say the game has little content now, but when you look at everything closely, each map and each hero, a lot of work went into them to make them feel, look and sound as good as they do, far more than just good enough you would get elsewhere or not even that.

It is not a moba.

I haven't played it, so I wouldn't know. From what little I've seen it looks like a first person spin on MOBAs. Which is awesome. Mutiplayer Online Battle Arena seems to describe Overwatch perfectly. It's objective based, like MOBAs, and it's all about team makeup and hero picks.

gossi

I haven't played it, so I wouldn't know. From what little I've seen it looks like a first person spin on MOBAs. Which is awesome. Mutiplayer Online Battle Arena seems to describe Overwatch perfectly.

It's not a moba, from playing. There's no lanes or spawning NPCs etc. It's just PVP. It's basically Team Fortress 3. It is a really really good, casual game - which is why it will do well.

It's not a moba, from playing. There's no lanes or spawning NPCs etc. It's just PVP. It's basically Team Fortress 3. It is a really really good, casual game - which is why it will do well.

Awesome, thanks for explaining =) Sounds like a really good mix of some popular MOBA elements and classic FPS PVP. I'll have to pick it up when it goes on sale one day. I enjoyed TF2 a lot but always wanted more MOBA-like character variety.

deleted

That's pretty insane!

It's actually also the first Blizzard game I'm genuinly liking mostly everything about since Lord of Destruction. Never played WoW aside form the beta though to be fair.

Crono27

Well deserved. Idk how long I'll be playing it for. But it will Def be a game I'll come back to for a few games ever now and then.

Hopefully it will have long legs like most Blizzard games.

As much as I enjoy the modes we have, I would like some more variety.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
awesome! i enjoyed the beta and will pick the game up at some point. got a few more games to focus on then i can spend all my time playing overwatch.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Great sales for a great game. Really redeemed Blizzard in my eyes. They're still capable of putting out high-quality products.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Awesome, thanks for explaining =) Sounds like a really good mix of some popular MOBA elements and classic FPS PVP. I'll have to pick it up when it goes on sale one day. I enjoyed TF2 a lot but always wanted more MOBA-like character variety.
Eh, it's not really MOBA at all. A lot of the character variety just replaces load outs in your typical shooter. The biggest two things the game does differently are a) throws team death match out the door, meaning they can balance characters for team-based game play without having to worry about them being viable in TDM. This is basically most of the support characters who without question win or lose the match. Also b) Blizard's legendary MMR. A total casual being able to jump in and go 50% win rate is huge. I mean you can't sit back and let your team do all of the work and expect to win, but if you are trying your hardest Blizzard's MMR algorithms seem to do a great job of keeping skill sets relatively even on both your team and on opponents.

I guess the only real MOBA-like thing is part A. That they can have characters that support. Well, and the game is very much "the right tool for the right job". One of the hybrid maps we had an amazing game with no tanks on the assault and we capped in less than two minutes. Then after we capped we switched out to three tanks and ran non-stop to the end. This game is all about the team, which is definitely more MOBA than typical shooter I guess.

Great sales for a great game. Really redeemed Blizzard in my eyes. They're still capable of putting out high-quality products.
Three of their last four releases have been

Hearthstone
Reaper of Souls (aka D3 2.0)
Overwatch

Even Heroes has been relatively well received and has generated it's own strong following.

Their only "dark years" arguably were 2003-2010 where the only thing they released was WoW and expansions for it. But even then... You have 10M paying subs a month... You have to support them.

Edit - oh obviously D3 launch was THE dark year.......... I have blocked it from my memory. But they redeemed themselves for that with the brilliant RoS reboot.

Top Bottom