• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"P.T" Interactive teaser up on PSN Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in this teaser, are you basically
playing the ghost of the father trapped in the house where you are forced to live through it over and over again?

I managed to clear it finally. I waited at the phone to get the second laugh. I did pause a few times and wait. Then unpause. Seemed to work. I also got some weird message for waiting a while on the screen. idk.

Also, it's always dark at the end, right? Well, for some reason one of my attempts the light was on in the room with the radio.

BvFhNzlIUAECfVA.jpg:large

I cant read the beginning of the writing. can someone fill me in?

Only true if you have your LCD or ps4 miscalibrated; make sure you have black levels set correctly.

Been trying to work this one out for a while so maybe GAF can help me solve this. I have no idea if my TV supports full black range, but I think it does. It's a fairly old Samsung UE-VW series LED TV. I have my PS4 set to full range, but in the TV there's an option to darken the blacks which seems to just crush them yet another option called HDMI black level which I leave set to normal as it usually picks up with standard TV etc. When I switch it to low the blacks are much darker, I always assumed this is just crushing blacks too, but should I have this set to low when using full range on my PS4?

Something about the brightness in the game seemed off for me the whole way through and it was kinda bugging me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I will probably get the game once its out and id say this is quite a nice surprise but i didnt really like the demo. it just seems to be cheap scares rather than atmospheric subtle horror what made silent hill (especially 2) so good.

graphics seem to be okay. controls are kinda clunky (which is acceptable since its silent hill). i dont like the first person view (im a traditionalist). seems to be a lot of trial and error gameplay-wise which can be good when its done cleverly..
While I agree I did like the demo, but I don't want Silent Hill becoming part of the Outlast, Alien isolation FPHorror gang, its already getting a bit much.
hopefully Its just a playable version of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaeYAW89a3M

Rflagg

The teaser makes no sense, but damn does it get you nervous wtf at the part where
you stare at the mirror and see the ghost coming

As others have mentioned, lots of little cap tips to Silent hill if you are paying close attention, but very subtle this element(s) are done perfectly.

tootie923

After about six tries over a few nights, I finally got it. Plugged the mic in (made no noise myself), stood at a few of the mentioned ghostie hotspots, zoomed in on the picture, wall messages, radio and then let the camera rest on the phone. I'll probably do a quick playthrough again and then delete. That whole thing was so weird, it was a challenge and I started hating it, but I couldn't stop trying.

Ateron

Only true if you have your LCD or ps4 miscalibrated; make sure you have black levels set correctly.

I'll take the chance to ask a question about this. What settings are you using for brightness? I do as recommended, but it doesn't make a difference, even with the slider all the way to the right the right skull is not visible, which might indicate that my black levels are fucked, but that doesn't happen on other games. I have a Sony w653, brightness at half (50) and every processing effects turned off. I think this TV is rgb full compatible, so I have both the TV and ps4 on full. Been searching on Google for the "correct" settings but no dice. Usually I don't have to tinker with gamma settings, but it has been two games in a row now, TLOU R and PT. Drives me nuts. I don't think it's the TV

Pryce

Alright gaf. I'm at the part with the infinite loops and the red light everywhere. Already looked through that hole into the bathroom.

WHAT DO I DO?

Baj

Neo Member
I made a video of how I solved it, I'll paste the description from the video here. Now, this could be one of god knows how many ways, but feel free to ask questions about this specific method in case it can shed some light on things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVPWBEbHGak

Have in mind that this is possible just one of many ways to complete the last loop. I had my mic on because over the last several attempts, one baby giggle was triggered by making noises. Location didn't matter. So with the mic on I did the following as you can see in the video:

1) Walked up to the clock and waited for the chime. When it was done I coughed and instantly got the first giggle. This means if the mic is a factor, it can be first and not necessarily the second as many claim.

2) Walked ten steps. This is pretty much the most confirmed way to get a giggle. In this case it was my second.

3) Right after the giggle was done I held R3. The controller will vibrate in a pulsating fashion. It lasts about 10-15 seconds. When that is done the third and last giggle will sound, and the phone will ring instantly after.

4) Pick up the phone, walk out and change your pants.

So, in this teaser, are you basically
playing the ghost of the father trapped in the house where you are forced to live through it over and over again?

Man, that would make a LOT of sense except for the fact that you
can see Norman Reedus's reflection in the mirror (the hoodie at least)

Baj

Neo Member
Alright gaf. I'm at the part with the infinite loops and the red light everywhere. Already looked through that hole into the bathroom.

WHAT DO I DO?

Are you actually watching until it pulls you out or letting go of R3 early?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I made a video of how I solved it, I'll paste the description from the video here. Now, this could be one of god knows how many ways, but feel free to ask questions about this specific method in case it can shed some light on things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVPWBEbHGak

Have in mind that this is possible just one of many ways to complete the last loop. I had my mic on because over the last several attempts, one baby giggle was triggered by making noises. Location didn't matter. So with the mic on I did the following as you can see in the video:

1) Walked up to the clock and waited for the chime. When it was I coughed and instantly got the first giggle. This means if the mic is a factor, it can be first and not necessarily the second as many claim.

2) Walked ten steps. This is pretty much the most confirmed way to get a giggle. In this case it was my second.

3) Right after the giggle was done I held R3. The controller while vibrate in a pulsating fashion. It lasts about 10-15 seconds. When that is done the third and last giggle will sound, and the phone will ring instantly after.

4) Pick up the phone, walk out and change your pants.

Holding R3 there isn't necessary. Once you get the second giggle you just wait for the third, and then the phone.

Anyway, your way of doing it most likely won't work for many others. I repeated so many supposedly "working" ways to do it yesterday, and nothing worked for me. What eventually worked was some random crap (video on last page).

Baj

Neo Member
Holding R3 there isn't necessary. Once you get the second giggle you just wait for the third, and then the phone.

Anyway, your way of doing it most likely won't work for many others. I repeated so many supposedly "working" ways to do it yesterday, and nothing worked for me. What eventually worked was some random crap (video on last page).

Yeah, I figured it was random. I might try to redo it later though just to check.

While I agree I did like the demo, but I don't want Silent Hill becoming part of the Outlast, Alien isolation FPHorror gang, its already getting a bit much.
hopefully Its just a playable version of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaeYAW89a3M

I'm betting on that it will probably be 3rd person like the other titles. I would be disappointed if they went the "first person" no combat route like Amnesia or Outlast.

I like having weapons in my horror games :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does it pick up where you left off the last time you played or do you always start at the beginning?

It picks up where you left off, although you start in the room with the talking bag again. It also resets your "killability". It seems like you can only be killed by the ghost once per load, after that you just get possessed by her.

Yeah, I figured it was random. I might try to redo it later though just to check.

You might get it again the same way, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for anyone else. After I had completed it yesterday I tried to do it again, following a method someone here had confirmed worked five times in a row for him. For me it didn't. Tried it twice, following his instructions exactly, and nothing. This thing is so random and weird.

Yeah i had this before. It's in the first room before you get the flashlight. Then the picture moves to the wall and you have to find the 5 missing pieces.
ibvfv4GRsE4cqz.jpg

Rflagg

Holy shit got to
where staring at the phone brings up this game is pruely fiction it can not harm you in anyway
so good gif.

Baj

Neo Member

The reasoning behind the R3 push was due to users talking about it, + prior experience getting two giggles and then nothing. I do however think that standing still after the second giggle is integral, so that might be it.

Sooooo.... One of my biggest random scarce ever occurred last night!

I got the phone call while the wife was away so I paused the game after the "You've been chosen" message to finish it with her once she would show up. I then found the phone ring part on Youtube, put it in full screen before the phone ring and had the wife watch it when she got home. I then turned off the PC screen and we went back to finish the teaser, even redoing it once, getting some jump again!

We stopped and one hour later, everything was dark in the place. I turn on my PC screen and look away. I turn back and face it to see the DAMN FREAKING SCARY CORRIDOR of P.T. in full screen on my PC. Totally forgot why it was there, freaked the fuck out. Wife asks what is happening so I tell her to just come and look at the screen, she does and jump scream too! That was awesome!

Here's two more interesting things. In the never ending eye corridor sometimes your reflection disappears.
ibyCfgo6pwk7N1.jpg

And when you finish looking through the hole the path closes( this one is kinda obvious)
ibkyaSOsQdokc5.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The reasoning behind the R3 push was due to users talking about it, + prior experience getting two giggles and then nothing. I do however think that standing still after the second giggle is integral, so that might be it.

Yeah, just don't move and you'll get the vibration, third giggle, and phone call.

hughesta

Banned
Just a quick thought about the picture:
Lisa is missing her right eye. Maybe something happens if you collect every scrap except the one with her right eye?

Almost certainly not, but it'd be cool.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You don't have to stand still after the second giggle, both times I got it second with the 10 step and just walked over to the phone and got the vibrate. I do think moving during the vibrate screws it up, though.

D-Stubbs

Ooook I didn't expect my screen shot to show up over here LOL! Previous posters were right about me just messing around with the brightness, contrast, and saturation some. This really shows off what the Fox Engine is capable of. I think what I liked most about the pic is the film grain effect. Reminds me of when someone tries to take a picture in a dark hallway with an older cell phone or camera and flash. Here is another screen shot I managed to get but couldn't get the same effect that I wanted.
B1NCCvW.jpg
I consider this the creepiest encounter with her in the game, besides when she attacks you. The way she is staring down on you, with that smirk on her face. Sends a chill down my spine.

vid

GAF, I was visiting this thread on mobile yesterday, and somehow ended up loading up a page where two posts kept repeating themselves over and over again. One post was a shot of Lisa, and the other was an unrelated response.

It would have been amusing if it didn't fit into the whole endless loop thing just perfectly enough to be disturbing. I'm convinced that Kojima has made the video game equivalent of the tape from The Ring.

Any theories on what the background and icon for the game on the PS4 menu has to do with anything?

Z3M0G

Here's two more interesting things. In the never ending eye corridor sometimes your reflection disappears.
ibyCfgo6pwk7N1.jpg

And when you finish looking through the hole the path closes( this one is kinda obvious)
ibkyaSOsQdokc5.jpg

I think there are actual bugs, but with this experience it may not be the case or it certainly may not matter.

While trying to finish the final sequence, I've seen the clock display be blank, and the clock ticking sound be missing while it is counting down to the bells.

Wulfegang

I consider this the creepiest encounter with her in the game, besides when she attacks you. The way she is staring down on you, with that smirk on her face. Sends a chill down my spine.

I missed it my first time through the game. When I did see it...I was afraid to blink or move!

Kaversmed

Dude. People way younger than 87 years old can have heart issues. Youve got to be kidding me with your ignorance. You are kidding right?

Ofc, my uncle just died of heart failure. But why would you assume he could have a heart attack from playing the demo - just because he is 57? :D I would have understood your comment better if I wrote that I just let me grandfather try the demo. I'm sure your comment was supposed to be read with a tongue in the cheek, so was my reply. ;)

I still can't believe how nicely Kojima executed all of this. Right after the mgs segment at Gamescom they showed P.T. In ground zeroes when you held R3 down you zoomed in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom