• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: PS5 to be a half step, release in 2019 with PS4 BC

Shin

Banned
"I think that's exactly when you'll see one (PS5) 2019 or 2020, and if I had to bet, it's 2020. Sony's making so much money with the PS4 that I think they'll continue to milk it as long as they can milk it. And I think the natural extension of that is the PS4 Pro becomes the default PS4, and they just knock that price down to $250 when they can and they keep selling it -- a ton of those. The PS5 is probably going to be their real 4K device, and so it just feels to me that they're not going to launch the PS5 until sales momentum for the PS4 slows, and it just hasn't. So you certainly get through 2017, 2018, and I just don't see it slowing in 2018 which should prop them to launch something in 2019. If it slows in 2019, they're probably launching in 2020."

http://www.psu.com/news/34227/ps5-release-date-in-2020-says-michael-pachter
That's when I think they'll launch it also at the very end of 2020.

AmyS

http://www.psu.com/news/34227/ps5-release-date-in-2020-says-michael-pachter
That's when I think they'll launch it also at the very end of 2020.

Launching at the end of 2020 sounds good because then there's a larger gap in time between Xbox One X (and frankly, all the current gen / mid-gen consoles) potentially allowing better CPU / GPU / RAM and chip manufacturing process to be available, than what would be ready in 2019. It doesn't mean radically better technology, but enough of a difference to allow a somewhat more of a technological leap from today's consoles.

Lady Gaia

You can say goodbye than to bc.

Of course, not that I think the scenario above is remotely likely. In general I think it's clear that Sony prioritizes great opportunities for new experiences over backward compatibility, and I think that's the right move.

Of course, not that I think the scenario above is remotely likely. In general I think it’s clear that Sony prioritizes great opportunities for nw experiences over backward compatibility, and I think that’s the right move.

I very much agree.

Not that I wouldn't love BC, but not at the expense of a real technological leap forwards in next-gen hardware.

onQ123

And that's why you use hardware that's made for ray tracing & not try to brute force it , even something like the ID buffer hardware in the PS4 Pro could be used to aid hybrid ray tracing.

Great minds think alike

PS5 And Xbox Scarlett Should Have Dedicated Processors For Ray Tracing In Real Time, Says Dev

“I still believe it is not going to be the case for a while,” he continued. “And that the next-gen consoles will actually slowly integrate more of the VR. Because you know when you do VR you basically need two different types of rendering. I’ve read some paper about ray tracing in real time. I guess there are lots of improvement in tech out there. It sounds like maybe we might have surprises regarding this type of tech. Maybe Microsoft or Sony will find a way to have a dedicated processors for this type of ray casting rendering. It seems like it might be revolutionary in terms of late rendering. In our game we would be happy with such a thing. For a game that plays so much with lights and shadow it will be great.

Trogdor1123

I really hope they embrace vr, it's just such a game changer. I had 5k put aside for a new version gaming rig but elected to take the wife and kids on a vacation instead. I'm hoping they update the hardware and double down on it soon

JimboJones

Ray tracing is definitely gonna be in the next gen boxes in some form. It would be a sever handicap if one does it while the other doesn't.

Boss Mog

Pachter is an idiot, I don't know how he got his job to be honest he's been so wrong so many times. PS5 will be 2020 and will not be a half-step, not compared to the base PS4 anyway.

I can see the PS5 do a minor jump to reach 4K as a standard but most effort be pushed towards CPU to improve performance for PSVR(2)

I don't think PSVR is a major concern for Sony. It's an accessory with low sales and poor software support. VR, across the board, is nearly dead in my opinion.

In any case if this turns out to be true, good Lord have mercy, it's a wrap for Soony.

MS ain't half stepping anything..they will come out Guns blazing...We all know that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So another PS4 Pro next year....
1511103211_ross-surprise-reaction.gif

onQ123

In any case if this turns out to be true, good Lord have mercy, it's a wrap for Soony.

MS ain't half stepping anything..they will come out Guns blazing...We all know that.

But even if it was Sony would still come out on top power has never dictated the console market sales , the only time Sony came in 2nd place in the console market was when they over-engineered the PS3 & even than it wasn't too far behind the Wii when it was all over.

zwiggelbig

I cant help but feel that PS will do something to fck it up and and giving a big leap to microsoft. Like no BC for ps4 games while microsoft wil do it with their next gen.

onQ123

I cant help but feel that PS will do something to fck it up and and giving a big leap to microsoft. Like no BC for ps4 games while microsoft wil do it with their next gen.

Sony has always focused on Backwards compatibility PS2 played PS1 games & PS3 played PS2 games , PS3 BC was harder to achieve so it was left out but you could play the games through PS Now. PS4 BC most likely will be the easiest BC they will have to deal with since the PS1 so I don't see any reason why they would skip out on BC for the PS5.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Sony has always focused on Backwards compatibility PS2 played PS1 games & PS3 played PS2 games , PS3 BC was harder to achieve so it was left out but you could play the games through PS Now. PS4 BC most likely will be the easiest BC they will have to deal with since the PS1 so I don't see any reason why they would skip out on BC for the PS5.
I just hope it reaches the benchmark MS has set when it comes to BC on consoles, as far as going the PC route and taking advantage of the improved specs when available.

Last edited:
I not sure how big of a jump people expect. The Pro and XB1X are still up there in price and it's not like RAM and GPU prices have been favorable. I doubt it'd be more than a half step above what the XB1X is now. Unless it's 2020 and $499.

Drake

I'm definitely a Sony fan, but it might not be a bad thing for MS to kick Sony's butt for a bit. Competition between these 2 is good for consumers and it keeps both companies on their toes.

onQ123

I just hope it reaches the benchmark MS has set when it comes to BC on consoles, as far as going the PC route and taking advantage of the improved specs when available.

The launch PS3 played all the PS1 & PS2 games (it might have been a few that didn't work for whatever reason but for the most part it played the whole PlayStation console library at the time) you could play the games with cleaner graphics , so if PS5 does have hardware for ray-tracing or whatever I'm sure they will also use it to enhance the legacy games. They have a lot of room to play with the PS1 games right now

onQ123

I not sure how big of a jump people expect. The Pro and XB1X are still up there in price and it's not like RAM and GPU prices have been favorable. I doubt it'd be more than a half step above what the XB1X is now. Unless it's 2020 and $499.

You can get a 1TB Spiderman PS4 Pro with the game for $399 right now a 500GB PS3 was $299 a year before PS4 was released.

Shin

Banned
MS working on their next console and ain't being silent about it (is rather telling), PS4 will theoretically be on the market till 2023.
That's still 5 years to go, yet it's somewhat in the air that they might launch next year, that's 4 years simultaneously on the market with PS5.
Seems such a dumb move if they release it next year, 2021 would have been better but then again might not have a choice if MS forces them.

But even if it was Sony would still come out on top power has never dictated the console market sales , the only time Sony came in 2nd place in the console market was when they over-engineered the PS3 & even than it wasn't too far behind the Wii when it was all over.

We just don't know how next gen going to roll out, but MS is deff preppin big time.

Scorpio 2, no doubt again will be the most powerful console..with major 1st parties, plus stealth surprise projects..definitely something, something CyberPunk launch exclusive, or best place to rock that gm is on XBX2, along those lines..you feel me?

onQ123

MS working on their next console and ain't being silent about it (is rather telling), PS4 will theoretically be on the market till 2023.
That's still 5 years to go, yet it's somewhat in the air that they might launch next year, that's 4 years simultaneously on the market with PS5.
Seems such a dumb move if they release it next year, 2021 would have been better but then again might not have a choice if MS forces them.

MS is basically forced to talk about their next console the same way they was forced to show Xbox One X back at E3 2016 because PS4 is running away with the market so MS need to cast a shadow of something better that's coming to slow it down. Sony has the advantage of riding out the PS4 success a few more years & waiting to see what happens when Xbox Scarlet is released but chances are they will release according to the technology shift.

onQ123

We just don't know how next gen going to roll out, but MS is deff preppin big time.

Scorpio 2, no doubt again will be the most powerful console..with major 1st parties, plus stealth surprise projects..definitely something, something CyberPunk launch exclusive, or best place to rock that gm is on XBX2, along those lines..you feel me?

This is the same kinda talk we was seeing before PS4 & Xbox One was revealed people was convinced that Xbox was going to have the more powerful console. the only way to know who will have the most powerful console is to get leaked info on the actual hardware. And no I don't feel you calm down lol

VR is growing slowly but 2 million expensive accessories sold by December 2017 it's too bad.

2 million sounds good on paper but when it accounts to less than 5% of your total userbase it's kind of an afterthought. I think the only way you get adoption rates higher is to force it but we all saw the demise of Kinect but at least VR works well for gaming.

Last edited:

onQ123

Question: What would you rather have a 12 - 13TF Vega GPU in a PS5 or a 9-10TF Vega GPU as part of the PS5 SoC with ray-tracing hardware?

I would take the 9-10TF GPU as part of a SoC with Ray-tracing hardware. Ray-tracing hardware would free up the GPU/CPU by offloading the lighting/shadow work.

hecatomb

Banned
I doubt ps5 will come out next year, people still haven't even bought, last of us 2, days gone, kingdom hearts 3, beyond good and evil 2. And yet people are talking about PS5? You really want PS5 to come out with even more delayed and cancelled games?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
This is the same kinda talk we was seeing before PS4 & Xbox One was revealed people was convinced that Xbox was going to have the more powerful console. the only way to know who will have the most powerful console is to get leaked info on the actual hardware. And no I don't feel you calm down lol
I think it's going to boil down to who's prepared to make the least or even lose the most on each console. Or whoever releases last as they are basically the same machines these days, a little bit boring i suppose compared to old machines which would have their own custom hardware.

FranXico

I doubt ps5 will come out next year, people still haven't even bought, last of us 2, days gone, kingdom hearts 3, beyond good and evil 2. And yet people are talking about PS5? You really want PS5 to come out with even more delayed and cancelled games?
Some of those titles might actually be next gen or cross gen games. Besides, if the PS5 is BC with PS4 games, launch software won't be a big issue. BC matters the most in the beginning of the generation.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Some of those titles might actually be next gen or cross gen games. Besides, if the PS5 is BC with PS4 games, launch software won't be a big issue. BC matters the most in the beginning of the generation.
Doubt it, the games I mentioned have been in the works for ps4 for years. And almost finished for ps4, theres no reason to cancel them and just remake them for ps5. Also they are not going to have xbox get kingdom hearts 3 before them.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Doubt it, the games I mentioned have been in the works for ps4 for years. And almost finished for ps4, theres no reason to cancel them and just remake them for ps5. Also they are not going to have xbox get kingdom hearts 3 before them.

I do not think those games would get cancelled, but just come out on PS4 as they were planned. The last thing Sony wants is customers thinking that as they prepare to introduce a new console the software and support for the existing one dry up and stop.

PS5 will have its own generation starting games and with BC it will allow players to get those late generation PS4 titles likely playing in PS4 Pro mode and perhaps even enhanced on top of that (it would be smart if they added support for enhanced downloadable texture/asset packs for PS5 to use when playing some recent PS4 Pro enhanced titles... I am quite excited to see how they plan BC actually).

onQ123

I think it's going to boil down to who's prepared to make the least or even lose the most on each console. Or whoever releases last as they are basically the same machines these days, a little bit boring i suppose compared to old machines which would have their own custom hardware.

I think the hardware is going to have bespoke chips this time around on PS5 & maybe Xbox Scarlet.

Humdinger

A few months ago, Pachter has said he expects both new consoles in 2020, so he's changed his mind about this. He may have changed it again and something different since then, who knows.

I tend to agree with the 2020 estimate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom