• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 41, 2016

Chris1

Holy fuck at Gears 4 numbers..... Hats off to anyone predicting 100k.... Jesus

I think MS is in trouble in terms of first party. They have no big hit, to think there won't be a sequel to games like SO when Gears 4 is barely doing much better than it... I have to wonder if they regret passing on sequels to games like SO now.

Although It's not gonna change that much considering the usual prices & how low the sales are anyways, I do think it's worth noting Gears 4 is actually very cheap digitally for some reason. It's £41.74 digital, don't know why because it was £50 a few month ago, but it's £41 now making it the cheapest full price game digitally in the UK.

Rymuth

make two.
Halo, Gears, every year instead of every 3 years.
As a matter of fact, Spencer did say something along those lines.

"I will say I think one Halo game every three years -- which was kind of our old cadence is probably not frequent enough," Spencer explained. He was careful to note that that doesn't now mean there's an "explicit strategy that says we're to ship a Halo game every year," but he didn't exactly rule it out, either.

Whoah at that, Gears 3 was damn juggernaut. Uncharted 4 is one of the biggest launches this Gen and it isn't even close to what Gears three sold. And not good numbers for Gears4 at all.

Gears 3 was a goddamn monster. The excitement for that game was palpable, even without social media hype we have today.

Kayant

Looking at entry numbers doing in the region of judgement numbers is.....

Wonder what kind of PR we will get from MS if any.

wapplew

Holy fuck at Gears 4 numbers..... Hats off to anyone predicting 100k.... Jesus

I think MS is in trouble in terms of first party. They have no big hit, to think there won't be a sequel to games like SO when Gears 4 is barely doing much better than it... I have to wonder if they regret passing on sequels to games like SO now.

I think 100K in UK still consider a big hit. Not mega hit like Gears3, but still big hit, not many games hit 100K in single platform these day.

I think 100K in UK still consider a big hit. Not mega hit like Gears3, but still big hit, not many games hit 100K in single platform these day.

100k is an admirable sales figure to hit in consideration of aggregate average of most game sales.

Whether or not it's a hit? Depends on publisher expectations and market realities.

As a matter of fact, Spencer did say something along those lines.
I wouldn't be surprised if they release new Halo next fall with Scorpio. I myself are bit bored to old IP's, they are good games but I want new stuff. I mean even Uncharted 4 is boring even though game is very solid.

First week:

Whats funny about that is Sony are actually abandoning UC4 after it's peak in terms of sales and MS are persisting with Gears as its sales tank.

I mean Gears 4 selling around Gears 1 numbers is just insane-no hyperbole.
Sure there's digital to factor in but physical selling so little is rough.

On subject of IP's, I'm really wondering if MS has any new IP's underway we just don't know about. There isn't much we know what comes after Sea of thieves, Scalebound and possibly Crackdown. I mean will they have any big games lined up for Scorpio launch?

I mean isn't it obvious?...Halo 6.
With Gears 5 a year later. These kind of games are on a factory line of production.

Who else apart from Rare is allowed to make new IP under MS studios banner?

Damn, 10 years since the first Tomb Raider Anniversary. Time flies. Lovely game though, can't see me picking up the new one really. Still haven't played Underworld.

Really surprised to see the warm reception VR has gotten. Haven't seen any marketing for it.

KORNdoggy

I dunno, are numbers really showing VR has gotten warm welcome?

VR headset that's difficult to get a hold of. software that is difficult to get a hold of (i'm still waiting for my copy of battlezone and until dawn)

honestly, i'm surprised anything charted at all. to see a game at number 7 is pretty good going for a niche platform thats hard to get a hold of.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release new Halo next fall with Scorpio. I myself are bit bored to old IP's, they are good games but I want new stuff. I mean even Uncharted 4 is boring even though game is very solid.

Hopefully they just stick with Halo Wars 2. I can see Crackdown, Forza and State of Decay being the big Scorpio launch titles.

Kyonashi

honestly, i'm surprised anything charted at all. to see a game at number 7 is pretty good going for a niche platform thats hard to get a hold of.

Although I think the VR boxed products actually did pretty good, you'd all do well to get out of this mindset. Position on the chart means very little with how much the top 10 fluctuates.

I've seen games hit #4 or #5 and only sell 2,000-3,000 units in certain weeks.

I thought Gears Of War 4 was banned in germany because i didn't see it in the German top 100 best sellers on amazon but it is out in germany just not able to crack the top 100

chadskin

I thought Gears Of War 4 was banned in germany because i didn't see it in the German top 100 best sellers on amazon but it is out in germany just not able to crack the top 100

Whenever I looked, it didn't come anywhere near the #1 spot in the hourly charts. I wouldn't be surprised if it sold worse than FH3 here but that hasn't cracked the top 100 yet, either.

bombshell

So Bomba Raider PS4 version is heading straight for the bargain bins as predicted. I'll be picking it up in Dec/Jan for cheap.

First week:

Quite amazing how the two have almost switched around.

No chance they'll team up with Sony for the marketing. Microsoft want to claim that franchise as their own now, and Sony has Uncharted anyway. Agreed, the third game will release on all platforms at the same time (Spencer won't want to go through all that negative publicity again), but it'll still be announced at Microsoft's E3 presser.

But I don't get why they would team up with MS again when RotTR has been pretty much a complete disaster for them, largely because they teamed up with MS. Plus, Uncharted is supposedly done with, so that won't be a factor if they teamed with Sony for marketing on the next game in two years' time.

Or follow Forza formula, make spin-off, share assets, shorten development cycle, lower the cost, if one game can't reach sales target, make two.
Halo, Gears, every year instead of every 3 years.

Halo has been almost annual since 2007, and that hasn't seemed to do it any harm. However, I don't think MS will go back in that direction by doubling-down even more on Gears and Halo, and if they did that would be an incredibly dumb decision.

So Bomba Raider PS4 version is heading straight for the bargain bins as predicted. I'll be picking it up in Dec/Jan for cheap.

I'll be getting it when the price drops as well. Probably £15-£20 for me. It's a combination of releasing at a dumb time of year and me not wanting to reward Squeenix for delaying the game for a year on PS4.

It was always a bit weird to hear people say that they thought Gears would be bigger than Halo this gen. Turns out it couldn't even outdo the weaker Halo franchise. Got to be sending alarm bells ringing at MS that.

Those people were insane. You could tell from its very first reveal that this entry would sell to the hardcore Gears fans and the hardcore Gears fans only. It never looked particularly interesting IMO.

viHuGi

Banned
Gears 3 was a goddamn monster. The excitement for that game was palpable, even without social media hype we have today.

Yup, I remember these days, all my friends and me bought it on launch day, hype was trough the roof, all those friends now play CS Go or Playstation, times have changed.

Still Gears of War 3 was a great time, the maps were so unbelievable good and the graphics just outstanding, day 1 sales must have been insane since there was hundreds of thousands playing at the same time according to own game counter.

It would be a bit weird for TR to get PS-marketing tbh.

I mean, CD would be on Sony stage talking about a version of a game that they don't even make themselves but let someone else port while they make the Xbox SKU.

Kagari described the relationship as having been 'soured' - so yeah, not expecting another collaboration

Oh wow, really? In a general way or specific to the Tomb Raider franchise? Square Enix had a presence at Microsoft's E3 this year after all.

wapplew

Haha, come on. No offense, but that was pretty unlikely from the start. :p

I mean we just had OneS sale up 900% in UK, number one console in September, I thought all these new owners need something to play.
They can't all buy it for cheap UHD Bluray alone right?

It would be a bit weird for TR to get PS-marketing tbh.

I mean, CD would be on Sony stage talking about a version of a game that they don't even make themselves but let someone else port while they make the Xbox SKU.

If things really did go sour they can adapt. And SE makes that decision not the studio. Plus the head of the studio that had a such a close relationship with Microsoft is gone now so there may be a complete change in the dynamics of that the studio and how it is managed.

Oh wow, really? In a general way or specific to the Tomb Raider franchise? Square Enix had a presence at Microsoft's E3 this year after all.

Companies still work together even though have disagreements. Do you see EA boycotting Sony because they won't allow EA Access?

Javin98

Banned
I mean we just had OneS sale up 900% in UK, number one console in September, I thought all these new owners need something to play.
They can't all buy it for cheap UHD Bluray alone right?
Nah, man. Those guys would probably buy Black Ops 3 and GTAV instead. I'm dead serious, BTW.

Top Bottom