• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 41, 2016

Nah, man. Those guys would probably buy Black Ops 3 and GTAV instead. I'm dead serious, BTW.
I think that's true, Gears and Halo have been drifting out of the mass market for a while, they obviously still have fans, but they can't compete with COD. There'll be a certain amount of Xbox owners who played these series in the past and won't go back no matter what and a fair number of people who played them socially on the 360 but won't now because they or their friends now play on the PS4.

It's easy to say after the fact, but remasters followed by new entries by new studios for both series was a mistake. They should have spent some of that money on a new shooter.

I mean we just had OneS sale up 900% in UK, number one console in September, I thought all these new owners need something to play.
They can't all buy it for cheap UHD Bluray alone right?

Did you look at the rest of the charts? There's plenty of games they could've bought instead. Fact is, Gears 4 never generated enough buzz to justify any ideas of people suddenly flocking to it.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear DQ Builders did relatively well (emphasis on relatively) and to see all the VR games on the list.

novabolt

I was expecting Aragami here, I am really sad :( (but they did well on digital :D)

Are you talking about PS4 and Steam sales overall or just Steam? 30,000 is not bad for a $19.99 title that wasn't marketed much and came during the blockbuster months.

Didn't No Mans Sky do over 100k in its first week. In August to boot. Sure sales fell off where Gears will sell ok over time. But it's not the huge hit anymore. And of course a lot of games would love to sell those numbers first week but not for a AAA, established release and 2nd biggest Xbox franchise.

Nice to hear Builders did better than Heroes. Still not fantastic but for a niche series it's admirable.

TR doing about the same as the Xbox version wasn't going to be difficult but it was always a tough one to predict. Were PS4 owners going to completely shun it or really get behind it. It seemingly hit the middle ground there. Not bad for a year old port but not great either. SE could have had a real hit on their hands if it wasn't for the stupid exclusivity deal. They have a quality game there. Now they'll have to settle for merely ok sales and far behind the sales set my U4 combined across platforms.

VR surprisingly takes a good chunk of the charts. Most will be very few sales and stock seemed limited enough. Next week I'm sure there will be only 2-3 left fn that as it drops off.

Hasney

I mean we just had OneS sale up 900% in UK, number one console in September, I thought all these new owners need something to play.

Most peoples machines in this country are FIFA/CoD machines regardless of format.

Naeval

Are you talking about PS4 and Steam sales overall or just Steam? 30,000 is not bad for a $19.99 title that wasn't marketed much and came during the blockbuster months.

I am speaking about the retail numbers, because Aragami Ps4 is at shops too.

novabolt

There was no way GOW4 was going to make 120K in its first week, 80 - 90K probably. It also pains me to see the PSVR games aren't doing so well. I feel like some game won't have the staying power until the second batch arrives (Nov 4th for some retailers).

The fact that DQB got beat by the PS3 version of Fifa 17 after 3 weeks is just sad. The game clearly isn't what people want from a Dragon Quest game. Also, FYI the Vita version is pretty good and I'll be getting that one.

Now we come to the funniest of them all, Skylanders Imaginators pretty much bombed. It goes to show that exclusivity isn't the best solution for games like this. The Crash Starter Pack should have been available to every platform, no one was down for stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the reasons Disney Infinity failed.

panda-zebra

I get the horrible feeling that this is about as good as it's going to get for VR.

As far as physical copies of games go, maybe you're right - that's an awful lot of titles on the chart at one time for a device that, by its very nature, isn't best suited to disc flipping to jump between games. Buying PSVR games physical makes no sense, especially this early on with so much stuff to jump between.

About VR: No numbers known yet, but I'll say that having 5 of them charting in top 20 (even if between 10th to 20th) is quite more than what I was expecting in UK. We'll have to see how it goes in the next few weeks.

I'm sure a few people bought physical copies along with their hardware just to have them there, I bought 3 despite knowing it'd be a pita switching them out. Bought most things digitally, the only disc swapping I've had to endure is going between VR Worlds and Rush of Blood (haven't even got around to opening SSD yet).

Just as a general showing for VR in the charts, I think it'll be very front-loaded. PSVR is the best shot that tech has at becoming mainstream, yet we know how good Sony is at 'supporting' their peripherals (EyeToy, Move). I'm worried that this might be the best it gets. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Well there's two aspects to this - it's highly unlikely there's ever going to be 8 PSVR physical releases out on one day again competing with each other for people's attention/pennies, then again there's not going to be this many people buying the hardware and requiring new software in a single week again for... well, nobody knows, maybe some time before xmas, maybe not until a big title comes along making people jump off the fence.

Really surprised to see the warm reception VR has gotten. Haven't seen any marketing for it.

Absolutely no point - displaying VR is best done in person. Sony have had events where you can go try stuff out. From there, word of mouth, visiting a friend who has it - these are the kinds of things that do what throwing money at something won't.

There was no way GOW4 was going to make 120K in its first week, 80 - 90K probably. It also pains me to see the PSVR games aren't doing so well. I feel like some game won't have the staying power until the second batch arrives (Nov 4th for some retailers).

The fact that DQB got beat by the PS3 version of Fifa 17 after 3 weeks is just sad. The game clearly isn't what people want from a Dragon Quest game. Also, FYI the Vita version is pretty good and I'll be getting that one.

Now we come to the funniest of them all, Skylanders Imaginators pretty much bombed. It goes to show that exclusivity isn't the best solution for games like this. The Crash Starter Pack should have been available to every platform, no one was down for stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the reasons Disney Infinity failed.

Then why did it open with better numbers than Dragon Quest VII 3DS and Dragon Quest Heroes?

Wat. Seeing as DQB outsold DQVII, what exactly do people want from a Dragon Quest game then?

Fdkn

Wat. Seeing as DQB outsold DQVII, what exactly do people want from a Dragon Quest game then?

When he said 'people' he was talking about himself

Don't do this. You clearly know I was talking about DQ10. If DQ10 charts below what DQB did, then I'll apologize (If I'm still here and remember).

Taking into account that DQ X is the MMO that will never see the light in the west, you're set for a long wait

DQ is a niche franchise in the U.K. It wasnt going to set the charts on fire sadly. It did better than recent DQ games. I'm quite sure if 11 is well received and given good promotion over time it'll do much better numbers than Builders as it's not a spin off or an older title.

Oregano

It's true that being 15th in this kind of week (with several new releases) increase the chances of the game doing better numbers than usual for that position, but taking UK and trying to extrapolate so much for the whole West seems...extremely premature. We have to see how much it actually did in UK first of course, but I fear Builders has low chances of outselling DQVII / Heroes in the West. Looking at Amazon US, for example, even when you consider VR titles in the mix, it never reached the top 20, and it has already fallen off a cliff (almost 80th right now). I know you've been in a singular mood lately ("lately") about Japanese third parties going all out on PS4 and ignoring NX (a bit exaggerating...but you did the same by stating VR will have better support than NX, eh), but let's try to be more rational here.

Actually, I'm pretty interested to see how it places and what numbers it does in France, the best country for the franchise by far.

Sorry was at work but... DQVII barely outdid Heroes in the US and now we know it sold worse in the UK.

It's a very real possibility that Builders sells better.

Of course there are mitigating circumstances, especially in the UK where the 3DS has struggled most.

Capella

Don't do this. You clearly know I was talking about DQ10. If DQ10 charts below what DQB did, then I'll apologize (If I'm still here and remember).

Are you sure you don't mean DQXI? Or did I miss an announcement that they where going to actually localize X?

Vetro

Instead of one big release with lots of fanfare, it had two 'eh' releases where it got overshadowed by something else. That's one game whose sales have been properly scuppered as a result.

Makes you wonder how the inevitable third installment is going to fare now.

"Karma is only a bitch if you are."

No, how am I meant to I know the people wanted a Dragon Quest MMO?

Seriously though, your logic is really silly. Who are "the people"? The enormous UK Dragon Quest fanbase who refused to buy DQVII 3DS even though it's the first time it's ever come out there?

Shin-Ra

If you don't care about the preorder day one bollocks, Dragon Quest Builders was slightly cheaper to download from PSN than buy on Blu-ray. £30 vs £32-33.

Looking at entry numbers doing in the region of judgement numbers is.....

Wonder what kind of PR we will get from MS if any.
Gears of War 4 has the greatest revenue per player of any Microsoft Studios game in history.

Kill3r7

I wonder if MS regrets purchasing gears.

Why?

At the end of the day they still need a few major AAA exclusives. Halo and Gears were very good to them last gen and have been respectable this gen. If anything the trend seems to suggest that exclusives/first party titles have not sold as great this gen. Currently Halo5 and UC4 are the best selling exclusives on either console and will probably continue to be for the remainder of this gen unless GT or TLOU2 surprises us all.

Behlel

Maybe with those buyer there are users that have sold the fat for the slim.

Went with 115k

Not trying to claim I was right with the quotes, just that I thought sub was very good possibility

I'll stick with 115k but can't shake this feeling its sub 100k and slipped to just another largish game. Not that sub 100 is bad on its own.

Wouldn't be shocked Gears 4 being just either side of 100k though, so like 90-105. That wouldn't be that bad. It's the 5th Gears game really and second game by another other dev team and things move on. Same deal with Halo 5 second game by 343, I wasn't that surprised with the drop as its been through the mill and passed to other dev teams.

I did get a little swayed by the One S hype

noobie

Banned
Bruno do you have any guestimate on how many units of PSVR might have been supplied to UK based on the chart? 10k?

Hasney

Bruno do you have any guestimate on how many units of PSVR might have been supplied to UK based on the chart? 10k?

It would be nearly impossible since it didn't come with any games. You could pick up a headset and just buy digitally.

noobie

Banned
It would be nearly impossible since it didn't come with any games. You could pick up a headset and just buy digitally.

Although Digital is growing but still 77% people prefer buying a retail copy.. Plus i just asked for his guestimate as he process so much data so his opinion is quite sound mostly.

Hasney

Although Digital is growing but still 77% people prefer buying a retail copy.. Plus i just asked for his guestimate as he process so much data so his opinion is quite sound mostly.

But how do you seperate those that bought one game or more than one game? Let alone that we don't have many numbers that low to work that out.

Would have to wait for PR or someone with more access to the actual numbers.

Bruno MB

It is impossible to guesstimate anything with the data we have. Maybe this week's issue of MCV magazine will report PlayStation VR launch sales.

Why?

At the end of the day they still need a few major AAA exclusives. Halo and Gears were very good to them last gen and have been respectable this gen. If anything the trend seems to suggest that exclusives/first party titles have not sold as great this gen. Currently Halo5 and UC4 are the best selling exclusives on either console and will probably continue to be for the remainder of this gen unless GT or TLOU2 surprises us all.

TLOU sequel selling more than Uncharted 4 would not be a surprise at all. I think Spider-Man and God of War have a chance to as well. Not sure about GT.

Bruno MB

TLOU sequel selling more than Uncharted 4 would not be a surprise at all. I think Spider-Man and God of War have a chance to as well. Not sure about GT.

The Last of US practically sold the same as Uncharted 3 and it was a new IP. Also, The Last of Us Remastered sold 70,000 units, almost twice as much as the Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection.

God of War has never been too big in the UK, God of War 3 is franchise's peak and sold 94,000 units in its first 3 weeks. I was checking the ELSPA Sales Awards and both God of War and God of War 2 didn't get the gold award which means that as of June 2010 they hadn't reached 200,000 units.

Bruno MB

FScg6.png

Spain:
Week 41, 2016 (Units)

01 (01) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) > 28,500 / > 300,000
02 (NE) PS4 RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER: 20 YEAR EDITION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
03 (NE) XBO GEARS OF WAR 4 (MICROSOFT) < 9,000
04 (01) PS4 MAFIA III (TAKE 2) > 6,000 / < 25,000
05 (__) PS3 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) < 4,000

PlayStation VR Software

01 (NE) PS4 PLAYSTATION VR WORLDS (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) < 2,000 / NEW
02 (NE) PS4 UNTIL DAWN: RUSH OF BLOOD (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) > 1,700 / NEW
03 (NE) PS4 DRIVECLUB VR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) < 1,000 / NEW

Nintendo Wii U LTD

MARIO KART 8 > 60,000
SUPER SMASH BROS. - 59,000
SPLATOON - 50,000
SUPER MARIO MAKER - 45,000

Guymelef

Edit: Damn you Bruno!!! I started to writte the post before you posted it, lol.

Spain (10-16)

1- FIFA 17 PS4 +28,000 (+300,000)
2- Rise Of The Tomb Raider
3- Gears Of War 4 ~9,000
4 (1)- Mafia III PS4 +6,000 (~25,000)
5- FIFA 17 PS3 ~4,000

Bonus:

PS VR:

VR Worlds ~2,000
Until Dawn Rush of Blood +1,700
Driveclub VR+1,000

Wii U LTD:

MK8: +60,000
Smash Bros ~59,000
Splatoon ~50,000
Super Mario Maker ~45,000

Fdkn

that's... lower than I thought for Mario Kart 8. Even on the WiiU, there was so much noise about the game on every spanish forum.

Well, serves me right for not using my internet=/=world mantra

Bruno MB

Edit: Damn you Bruno!!! I started to writte the post before you posted it, lol.

Haha, sorry!

He didn't mention Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 year edition sales number, only that it deserves to sell more, maybe because the guy works for Koch Media :p

Not a bad launch for Gears of War 4, in Spain it is a more popular franchise than Halo.

I'm a bit disappointed that Dragon Quest Builders couldn't sell 4,000 units to make it into the top 5, specially since Dragon Quest VII sold over 5,000 units in its week launch.

Bruno MB

How is the hype for Battlefield 1? I can't gauge if it is in the same level as Star Wars Battlefront, lower or higher. It should easily have a much bigger launch than Battlefield 4 but I don't know if it will be able to match than of Battlefield 3.

UK First Week Sales:

Code:
[Week 43, 2011] BATTLEFIELD 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 404,000 / NEW 
[Week 44, 2013] BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 125,000 / NEW 
[Week 12, 2015] BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 115,000 / NEW
[Week 47, 2015] STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 335,000 / NEW
[B][Week 42, 2016] BATTLEFIELD 1 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)[/B]

How is the hype for Battlefield 1? I can't gauge if it is in the same level as Star Wars Battlefront, lower or higher. It should easily have a much bigger launch than Battlefield 4 but I don't know if it will be able to match than of Battlefield 3.

Well, at least the usual internet places were pretty negative towards Battlefront after the beta and mostly positive towards Battlefield 1 after the beta.

Top Bottom