• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 43, 2016

madmackem

Then I'd argue Xbox might have outsold it if they didn't alienate a big part of their fanbase with all the changes. A whole lot of mights.. At the end of the day it didn't.

Also xbox has those games too other than FF.. but considering it's charting position I highly doubt it impacted it anything meaningful. I doubt even TF2 PS4 + FF outsold TF2 XB1.
You do know nearly every single title splits in favour of ps4 right?.

Guymelef

[Week 43, 2016] 04 (NE) TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) < 52,000

Xbox One (57%) < 30,000
PlayStation 4 (41%) < 21,000
PC (2%) < 1,000

[Week 11, 2014] XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 118,000 / NEW
[Week 11, 2014] PC TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 7,000 / NEW
[Week 15, 2014] 360 TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 28,000 / NEW

Damn, RIP TF.

Chris1

Bloody hell to think the 360 version potentially opened up bigger than either version this time and the 360 was a delayed release to boot.

Those are very grim numbers. That's one titan fall from height.
Edit: Ohh sorry I misread

You do know nearly every single title splits in favour of ps4 right?.

how many of them have the first games be exclusive to xbox and is making their debut on ps4?

I know Respawn has said that the date for TF2 was locked in a long time ago and there was no changing it, but we have seen other devs change dates that were locked in. Just this season alone both Sony and Square publicly admitted that they delayed Gravity Rush 2 and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 because their initial release period had become too crowded.

I'd love to hear EA's logic about TF2's release time frame. The literally sandwiched it between Battlefield 1 and Infinite War's release dates. Both of which would be getting major backing from console manufacturers when it came to marketing. Some people talk about companies sending games to die, but that's exactly what EA did here. They didn't even give it a chance.

Rymuth

Still think TF1 was the best marketed game this gen.

Titanfall2.jpg~original

miuyc2s-1.jpg

I've seen it.

Damn, Titanfall 2 is getting destroyed by the upcoming re-release of its creator's first hit game (MWR).

And MWR will kill the sales of all future COD games if they don't get away from the future. The Modern Warfare train cannot be stopped.

[Week 43, 2016] 04 (NE) TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) < 52,000

Xbox One (57%) < 30,000
PlayStation 4 (41%) < 21,000
PC (2%) < 1,000

[Week 11, 2014] XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 118,000 / NEW
[Week 11, 2014] PC TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 7,000 / NEW
[Week 15, 2014] 360 TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 28,000 / NEW

Holy shit; that's far worse than I had expected.

IMO yes. Anyway, TF had a almost a full week during launch, TF2....what? One day?

Three days. Typical release in the UK is on a Friday, although more games are releasing on Tuesdays, at the same time as the US release.

I've seen it.

Damn, that model looks really cool. Is that 1:1 scale?

pswii60

Smgh. Marketing for first TF was a beast

Well, Microsoft treated it like a first party game. So EA got that huge long-running marketing campaign on the back of it. Exclusives aren't always a bad thing for the publishers or the developers in that scenario, as TF2's sales results would imply.

viHuGi

Banned
I think this speaks for itself, we want boots on the ground games, enough with futuristic bs.

Also launching between Cod and Battlefield, who had that fucking idea might I ask?

test_account

XP-39C²
Thats a great hold fold Battlefield 1! It was released on a friday, which is probably one of the reason for it, but still, unusual to see games hold that well.

Trup1aya

Man, why not just let TF stick with the Q1 release date? I'll never understand why publishers want to cram into the holidays when gamers are looking for games to play all year around.

To make matters worse the dramatic shift in MP philosophy appears to have turned off fans of the original. That's what put me off a day1 purchase. Now the campaign interests me, but there's. But there's really never a rush to play a campaign.

EGM1966

Well, Microsoft treated it like a first party game. So EA got that huge long-running marketing campaign on the back of it. Exclusives aren't always a bad thing for the publishers or the developers in that scenario, as TF2's sales results would imply.
I'd say it was more the fact it was effectively a launch exclusive vs the marketing.

That said the real damage I believe wasn't the lower marketing push (and lack of association with a console launch) but the frankly ridiculous launch date.

EA literally launched it to compete with their own biggest shooter IP.

I just don't, don't, don't get their thinking. The game was literally set up to soft launch with that date. Quite puzzling and a shame for a very good game.

Wow at Elder Scrolls too. That's a decent launch. Good result but I find it a little alarming how much mass market congregates around IP defined as "popular" vs newer material.

Interesting it sold more on PS4 too. Online Elder Scrolls sold more on XB1 IIRC in PAL no doubt due to terrible brand association from Skyrim on PS3.

Seems market has forgotten or forgiven on PS platform.

Very good hold for BF1. Really small drop for a big AAA. Of course that means it's taking even more wind from TitanFall's sails. And CoD next. Respawn should really be having some serious talks with EA about the timing. I know they noted date was set but it's just crazy to go ahead with a pretty much negative foregone conclusion.

Of course the double dip exclusivity on XB1 last time around might have left sourness in market on PS platform. But it did less on XB1 too and that won't be because it went multi-platform: that's timing and too much competition for the same dollar (or Pounds and Euros).

I know the MS marketing was pretty huge but it was already on a crest of a wave of incredible hype in 2013 before the new consoles were released and MS marketing stepped in. It was the star of every event, you had unanimous praise from gamers and websites for what seemed like a year. Before the gen opened up it was often cited how Titanfall and Destiny were going to take over, new shooters were being ushered in, put that on top on MS marketing and being a hype up early launch title, you simply can't reproduce that hype.

Durante

To note, Titanfall (1) was the only game I have ever, in my entire life, seen advertised at my local bus stop.

The marketing push for that was insane.

The first game being console exclusive most certainly hurt this sequel chances of selling well on PS4. It is very rare to the Xbox One version of a multiplat sell more than the PS4 version.

Hasney

The first game being console exclusive most certainly hurt this sequel chances of selling well on PS4. It is very rare to the Xbox One version of a multiplat sell more than the PS4 version.

I still disagree because you can correct that with marketing, they just didn't try. Likelihood is the game is being bought by fans of the first because they're the most likely to known it even exists.

Hell, the way EA treats its partners, I don't think TF1 would have sold enough to get a TF2 if MS hadn't done the marketing for them.

noobie

Banned
XBO Reclaiming lost ground to PS4 with 6 titles in top 10 vs 4 for PS4
and 18 XBO titles in top 40 vs 18 for PS4.

wish if we can know whether XBO still leading in hardware sales.

Shock32

It's very, very relaxing.
No gunfights, blood, fighting, chaos, checkpoints, survival, pressure, frustrations, raids and game overs…

You just… take care of your crops and animals and drive some awesome machinery.

Don't forget pressure washing your equipment at the end of the day. So satisfying spraying off all the mud and grime. I became obsessed with keeping my equipment as clean as possible.

Fliesen

Only good news is that probably TF2 price will drop so quickly, anyway EA made a terrible mistake at launch it in a that busy time window. Hope it will have some legs in coming weeks.

But so will the (already limited, and divided across multiple platforms) userbase, sadly.

There's a network effect with games that are mainly multiplayer shooters. The less people buy the game, the less 'value' it will have for anyone who bought it due to a worse online gaming experience (longer queue times, getting stomped by the same pre-made teams over and over again)

That's not the case for single player games, which is why i don't wanna join the "well, that's what you get for releasing it alongside BF1" - it's not Respawn who is affected by this, but also everyone who bought the game for 60$ (if not more) to be stuck in a ghost town soon :/

well, at least TF2 seems to have a great campaign, so that's something i guess.

Lucreto

UK October Hardware Sales

Xbox One - 99,496
PlayStation 4 - 74,500
Nintendo Wii U - 3,500

Where these numbers always available or is this a recent thing? I don't remember seeing them when the PS4 was leading every week. What are the year to date?

I wonder if people are holding off for the Pro?

viHuGi

Banned

Xbox One - 99,496
PlayStation 4 - 74,500
Nintendo Wii U - 3,500

The good thing about Microsoft Xbox One being ahead of PlayStation 4 is that the PR team is willing to share sales data even when the win is small since they are in need of positive news.

100K in October is impressive for the UK tbh, how is year to date sales?

FIFA bundle is what is pushing Xbox above Ps4 since you Slim is selling as a standalone console, November will be much different but great to see.

Edit : Just informed that Xbox had Gears and BF bundles across the UK too not just US so makes sense it won.

XBO Reclaiming lost ground to PS4 with 6 titles in top 10 vs 4 for PS4
and 18 XBO titles in top 40 vs 18 for PS4.

wish if we can know whether XBO still leading in hardware sales.

I saw on Twitter earlier that Xbone sold 100k in October vs. the PS4's 75k (in the UK).

Don't forget pressure washing your equipment at the end of the day. So satisfying spraying off all the mud and grime. I became obsessed with keeping my equipment as clean as possible.

God no… All that hard earned mud stays on my vehicles. I hate the rain in the game :D

xrnzaaas

It's funny how EA somehow managed to release 2 very good shooters in one year, but only one of them is getting the attention it deserves.

Fliesen

Where these numbers always available or is this a recent thing? I don't remember seeing them when the PS4 was leading every week. What are the year to date?

I wonder if people are holding off for the Pro?

and for black friday sales or christmas shopping.

The Xbox One S was a great entry point for those who already owned a PS4 - great timing, great value proposition.

The market for PS4 is much more saturated than that. If you were in the market for a PS4, chances are that you already got one. If you still don't have one, chances are you're waiting for the Pro or you're waiting for Christmas.

There's far less reason for people to go out and buy a PS4 slim right now than there is to buy an Xbox One S or to wait with your console purchase for a better model / better timing.

Welfare

Xbox One - 99,496
PlayStation 4 - 74,500
Nintendo Wii U - 3,500

The good thing about Microsoft Xbox One being ahead of PlayStation 4 is that the PR team is willing to share sales data even when the win is small since they are in need of positive news.

It is like a Christmas miracle that we got numbers. Also the gap in September was 1,500 units.

BF1 had an excellent hold. Titanfall 2 marketing is non existent compared to the original, and I think some held off because of the tech test, like I did. Word of mouth does paint a positive picture, so hopefully TF2 also sees a good second week hold.

Welfare

Bruno, do we have an upper and lower limit for Skyrim SE? That did much better than I expected, placement wise.

N.Domixis

Banned
Pro sapping the slums life before our eyes. Can't wait for pro to launch.
If that 1K gap was during slims launch than the gap the second month is easily explained by the imminent pspro release, I expect ps4 to reGain 1st place this holiday.

noobie

Banned

Xbox One - 99,496
PlayStation 4 - 74,500
Nintendo Wii U - 3,500

That is some impressive lead XBO has got over PS4. Question is whether Sony is going to go for more profit or more sales this holiday season. I believe they will probably miss their Fiscal Year Target this time if they decided to go after profit and will probably be the end of PSVR too

dracula_x

Man, why not just let TF stick with the Q1 release date? I'll never understand why publishers want to cram into the holidays when gamers are looking for games to play all year around.

To make matters worse the dramatic shift in MP philosophy appears to have turned off fans of the original. That's what put me off a day1 purchase. Now the campaign interests me, but there's. But there's really never a rush to play a campaign.

yep, it doesn't make sense to me also. it seems EA still lives in 80s ;)

Behlel

That is some impressive lead XBO has got over PS4. Question is whether Sony is going to go for more profit or more sales this holiday season. I believe they will probably miss their Fiscal Year Target this time if they decided to go after profit and will probably be the end of PSVR too
Please stop posting those nonsense.

Top Bottom