• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 43, 2016

Here is a Titanfall vs Titanfall 2 comparison with the publicly available data we have.

Code:
[Week 43, 2016] 04 (NE) [B]TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 31,250 / NEW[/B]

[Week 43, 2016] 07 (NE) XBO TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 17,813 / NEW
[Week 43, 2016] 09 (NE) PS4 TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 12,813 / NEW
[Week 43, 2016] XX (NE) PC TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 625 / NEW

Code:
[Week 11, 2014] 01 (NE) [B]TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 125,000 / NEW[/B]

[Week 11, 2014] 01 (NE) XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 118,000 / NEW
[Week 11, 2014] 08 (NE) PC TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 7,000 / NEW
[Week 15, 2014] 01 (NE) 360 TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 28,000 / NEW

Jesus H Christ

The delayed 360 version of the original nearly beat the whole release of the sequel. That takes some getting your head around. And heads will be rolling at EA. Almost unbelievable and unthinkable to see. Like this was supposed to be a major IP. One that was going toe to toe with CoD. Yet these are numbers you'd expect from the latest B tier release. Not a AAA blockbuster. Got to wonder if this will make any money for them. Can't be long before it's bargain binned joining the original.

Bruno MB

uFalM.png

ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES) October 2016 (Oct 2nd - Oct 29th)

Code:
[B]October 2016[/B]

Week 40, 2016 - 531,266 units / £20m
Week 41, 2016 - 537,230 units / £21m
Week 42, 2016 - 605,162 units / £22m
Week 43, 2016 - 708,805 units / £25m

Total - 2,382,463 units ([B]+40.76%[/B]) / £88m ([B]+46.18%[/B])

[B]October 2015[/B]

Week 40, 2015 - 581,418 units / £21.9m
Week 41, 2015 - 369,581 units / £12.9m
Week 42, 2015 - 307,453 units / £10.1m
Week 43, 2015 - 434,162 units / £15.3m

Total - 1,692,614 units / £60.2m

Code:
January - September, 2016 - 11,463,070 units (-17.52%) / £365.9m (-15.69%)
Code:
January - October, 2016 - 13,845,533 units (-11.19%) / £453.9m (-8.15%)

October was a good month despite some big under-performers such as Titanfall 2 or Gears of Wars 4. The 4 biggest sellers of the month (Fifa 17, Battlefield 1, Mafia III and The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Special Edition) accounted for over 1.2 million units of overall sales.

2016 year-over-year sales are now down by 8.15% (value), while in September they were down by 15.69%.

Let's see if the positive trend continues in November although it won't be easy because Fallout 4 and Star Wars: Battlefront were very strong performers. If Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare remains flat (I'm not expecting it to do much better than Black Ops III) then it will have to be Watch Dogs 2 and Battlefield 1 those that do the heavy lifting. Pokémon Sun / Moon will only be tracked for 1 week.

November 2016 (Weeks 44 - 47) Big Releases

Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Dishonored 2
Watch Dogs 2
Pokémon Sun / Moon

November 2015 (Weeks 44 - 47) Big Releases

Halo 5: Guardians
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Fallout 4
Star Wars Battlefront

Bruno MB

FScg6.png

Spain:
Week 43, 2016 (Units)

01 (01) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 1 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 15,000 / 52,000
02 (02) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 11,000
03 (NE) PS4 DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE 2 (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT) - 10,500 / NEW
04 (NE) PS4 THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM SPECIAL ED. (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 6,500 / NEW
05 (04) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 2,500

LTD

PS3 CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 3 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 518,000
PS4 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 426,000
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 304,000
PS3 BATTLEFIELD 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 156,000

I think Dishonored will be the next bomb. Titles like this need space to breathe away from the big hitters. Watch Dogs looks to under perform too. Maybe only Pokemon will surpass expectations.

I think Dishonored will be the next bomb. Titles like this need space to breathe away from the big hitters. Watch Dogs looks to under perform too. Maybe only Pokemon will surpass expectations.

I think its sales expectations will be far lower than most games out around this time of year though. Especially given that Deus Ex was a sales disappointment.

Chris1

Dishonoured will bomb. I don't know about Watch Dogs bombing, normally I'd agree but Ubisoft always manage to do good regardless. It'll definitely disappoint though. What did Watch Dogs 1 do?

Btw Bruno, any idea if we will hear about the Legacy edition sales for CoD or if it will just be IW as a whole? I'd be interested to know how CoD4 is helping IW.

Between Titanfall 2 and the big Tomb Raider drop, not releasing your first game (or releasing it later) on PS4 does not sound like a good way to take care of your IP to me.

Great job for Skyrim though, I wonder if the PS4 version would be so high without the PS4 Pro announcement (which totally turned the tables on Amazon). The split in favor of Xbox 360 must have been huge back in time, wasn't it ?

At least in the case of Titanfall it likely has more to do with its release date, and its abandonment of what made TF great, than not being on PS4 first. Tomb Raider did well enough we know its getting a sequel so it would appear the IP isnt in any terrible danger for being on XB1 first.

Bruno MB

Dishonoured will bomb. I don't know about Watch Dogs bombing, normally I'd agree but Ubisoft always manage to do good regardless. It'll definitely disappoint though. What did Watch Dogs 1 do?

Btw Bruno, any idea if we will hear about the Legacy edition sales for CoD or if it will just be IW as a whole? I'd be interested to know how CoD4 is helping IW.

The public chart will combine both versions.

The weekly UKIE games chart that it is sent to the press includes the percentage splits for the top 4 SKU's. Unfortunately, we will likely get at best the combined normal + legacy edition splits for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Well, maybe the person who writes the Chart-Track PR note is feeling generous that day and makes a detailed breakdown, specially if the Legacy Edition accounts for a good chunk of global sales,

UK October Hardware Sales

Xbox One - 99,496
PlayStation 4 - 74,500
Nintendo Wii U - 3,500

The good thing about Microsoft Xbox One being ahead of PlayStation 4 is that the PR team is willing to share sales data even when the win is small since they are in need of positive news.

LoL "in need of positive news" that's rich. The XB1s has been very well received, as well as FH3 and Gears 4. BC has had some much desired titles added and broken the multi-disc barrier which opens promise of even more games coming. I know it stings that the momentum is *currently* with MS but lets not pretend it isnt.

LoL "in need of positive news" that's rich. The XB1s has been very well received, as well as FH3 and Gears 4. BC has had some much desired titles added and broken the multi-disc barrier which opens promise of even more games coming. I know it stings that the momentum is *currently* with MS but lets not pretend it isnt.

Bruno has no bias and just reports on sales objectively, so this is strangely misdirected.

Bruno MB

Watch Dogs Sales Data

UK

[Week 22, 2014] PS4 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 190,000 / NEW
[Week 22, 2014] XBO WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 105,000 / NEW
[Week 22, 2014] 360 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 50,000 / NEW
[Week 22, 2014] PS3 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 35,000 / NEW

[Week 22, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 388,000 / NEW
[Week 23, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 73,720 / 461,720 [-81%]
[Week 24, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 39,071 / 500,791 [-47%]
[Week 25, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 23,051 / 523,842 [-41%]
[Week 26, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 17,979 / 541,821 [-22%]
[Week 27, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 14,383 / 556,204 [-20%]
[Week 28, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 11,794 / 567,998 [-18%]
[Week 29, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 10,378 / 578,376 [-12%]
[Week 30, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 10,689 / 589,065 [+3%]
[Week 31, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 11,009 / 600,074 [+3%]
[Week 32, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 9,467 / 609,541 [-14%]
[Week 33, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 7,384 / 616,925 [-22%]
[Week 34, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 6,572 / 623,497 [-11%]

[Full Year, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 808,799 (100%)

Europe

[1st Half, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 2,052,432

US

[May, 2014] PS4 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 569,000 / NEW
[May, 2014] XBO WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 367,000 / NEW
[May, 2014] 360 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 169,000 / NEW
[May, 2014] PS3 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 135,000 / NEW

[May, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 1,240,000

[Jun, 2014] PS4 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 210,000 / 779,000
[Jun, 2014] 360 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 154,000 / 323,000
[Jun, 2014] XBO WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 137,000 / 504,000
[Jun, 2014] PS3 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 117,000 / 252,000

[Jun, 2014] WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 618,000 / 1,858,000

Chris1

Gonna go with 225k for Watch Dogs, sticking with 550K for CoD.

No idea on Dishonoured but I'll go with 35K

Also expecting another healthy hold for Battlefield 1. -30% or so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If Dishonored 2 opens at 35K, that might actually be the most embarrassing result in modern Bethesda history.

Like, that's "Maybe we should reboot Prey as a hero shooter." tier.

Please note, I'm not saying you're wrong.

Chris1

If Dishonored 2 opens at 35K, that might actually be the most embarrassing result in modern Bethesda history.

Like, that's "Maybe we should reboot Prey as a hero shooter." tier.

Please note, I'm not saying you're wrong.
To be honest it's just a stab in the dark don't know how much dishonoured 1 did. But I'm not seeing much hype or marketing for it. Watch dogs releasing a few days later and no reviews won't help either.

Kill3r7

Gonna go with 225k for Watch Dogs, sticking with 550K for CoD.

No idea on Dishonoured but I'll go with 35K

Also expecting another healthy hold for Battlefield 1. -30% or so.

I think Dishonored 2 should do better than 35K. Probably a bit higher than DOOM numbers. I think DOOM debuted at 65K. Bethesda has done pretty well this gen.

I think its sales expectations will be far lower than most games out around this time of year though. Especially given that Deus Ex was a sales disappointment.

I'd agree but I don't think it's going to go well still. It's up against a lot of big releases and isn't standing out. We've already seen a few high profile bombs, so I doubt a title much less prolific added into the mix is going to be anything but a bomb.

In regards to CoD, anecdotal but felt not quite as eventful this year from what I saw. Will be interesting to see the drop and how severe or if MW saved it.

Chobel

I honestly don't see Dishonored 2 doing better than Titanfall 2 :/. I'm not seeing any hype for it and it's getting released between CoD:IW and WD2, plus it's not bundled in any hardware.

Accusing bruno of fanboyism? The irony...

Cringeworthy.

Chobel

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=2547&s=1111

‘Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare’ blasts to the top of the All Formats Chart with the second biggest release of the year (behind FIFA 17).

However, it’s not enough to outperform last year’s ‘Black Ops III’ launch week with sales down 48.4%. There is no Xbox 360 or PS3 version this time round, although even comparing just PS4 and Xbox One; sales are still down by 43.6%. ‘Battlefield 1’ (-45%) makes way, dropping to No2, while ‘FIFA 17’ (-11) holds on to third. ‘The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Special Edition’ (-53%) falls 2 places to No4, sitting only 1,500 sales behind FIFA. ‘Titanfall 2’ (-41%) slips from No4 to No5 ahead of this week’s only other new entry to break in to the Top 40, ‘Football Manager 2017’, debuting at No6. A big retailer price promotion coupled with increased TV advertising has given Skylanders Imaginators’ (+131%) a large boost, propelling it up from No19 to No7

A huge drop for CoD. Seriously, this is really bad.

Welfare

I think leaderboard numbers are also low compared to previous entries. Looks like a weak launch all around.

Is this the worst COD launch since COD4 Modern Warfare?

If Sledgehammer is working on Advanced Warfare 2, they have to be getting worried. Futuristic boost-jumping COD is not what the fanbase wants, and charging a premium for MWR via a forced bundle seems to not be such a great idea.

They have to release a $60 stand-alone Modern Warfare Remastered ASAP.

Maybe it wasn't too far off the mark that BF1 had eaten some of CoD's lunch... just that it turns out that CoD ended up eating away at themselves first, leaving themselves vulnerable.

Well I mean, I haven't followed CoD in a while but isn't the reception from the beta mediocre and the setting is getting kinda boring while ironically BF1 feels the freshest FPS of the year.

MW remastered should have been a pack in with every copy too. IW just feels a whole lot of ''why should I buy this when I already got BO3?''. Not to say it won't still make mad money but the biggest hook of this years CoD is tied behind special editions.

Welfare

This puts CoD:IW around ~328K
BF1 did 259k for comparison. Really close to each other.

Really is interesting that CoD sits behind BF in LTD. First week sales of previous titles would have put it ahead of BF1, which is now at 504k.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=2547&s=1111

A huge drop for CoD. Seriously, this is really bad.

I honestly thought the drop on last year's release wouldn't be more than 30%: an extremely damaging drop, but somewhat protected from a worse outcome by the MWR legacy edition. 43 percent drop including loss of last gen systems is terrible. BF1, more future warfare, and lack of enthusiasm all round/post beta all must have had huge impacts. Or rather it's amazing how much some of these sentiments have filtered through into the casual gamer masses, and indeed may have originated there.

It would be interesting to see though how much revenue has been made from the legacy edition and how far that goes in patching the hole left by the lower quantity of units shifted.

As much as I don't give a shit about it (Infinite Warfare is literally the first COD I've felt the need to buy since the WWII games), they need to ditch all the Sci Fi bollocks and go back to Modern Warfare or even an older era next year.

Between the boost in sales Battlefield received for rewinding to the First World War, this drop in YOY sales even with the Modern Warfare remaster, and Titanfall 2 stumbling out of the gate, I'm hoping the message gets through to everyone holding the purse strings at Activision that it's time to reverse course this weird futuristic tangent they decided to go all in on despite no one ever asking for it.

Like I say, I don't actually want those games, but simply for the health of the wider industry, we need games like COD and FIFA and Pokemon to stay as healthy and evergreen as possible so that the average Joe/Jane will keep supporting the hardware and potentially becoming interested in more enthusiast titles down the line.

geordiemp

I read your post expecting like a 20 percent drop before reading he quote

Holy shit. That puts cod at like 300k. Activision must be shitting it

Well deserved, microshit greed an the seeds of greed were sown in Easter this year when COD multiplayer went full P2W.

Activision and COD forums everyone went crazy about Bo3 COD points for guns in Easter this year.......BUT we had already bought our useless season passes and the game, however, everybody felt hard done to and bitter.

The P2W mechanic for multiplayer in infinite warefare is really bad and worse than last game, dissenters making their voices heard and this was always going to happen, predicted from 6 months ago, activision just got greedy with p2w mechanic and asking people to pay a shit load for the game and maps..

I for one not bought COD this year or season pass, first time for a decade. Trying out Titanfall this year as I refused COD points for gun perks....they can fuck off.

As much as I don't give a shit about it (Infinite Warfare is literally the first COD I've felt the need to buy since the WWII games), they need to ditch all the Sci Fi bollocks and go back to Modern Warfare or even an older era next year.

Even at the risk of seemingly ''copying BF1'' I think CoD should go back to WW2 and just name it World at War 2 or something. I think BF1 might be a start of short WW2 renaissance and might as well get a game out while it feels fresh again.

Hell, go alternative history WW2 akin to Wolfenstein. Crazy nazi experiments and shit.

Even at the risk of seemingly ''copying BF1'' I think CoD should go back to WW2 and just name it World at War 2 or something. I think BF1 might be a start of short WW2 renaiccance and might as well get a game out while it feels fresh again.

I'd actually also be ok with a WWII setting. It's one of the few wars from the last couple of centuries I don't find it a bit skeezy to make a game out of.

Mrbob

I'd argue EA is actually doing new things with Fifa while acti is letting Cod stagnate and become a full priced f2p game. Not the type of evergreen title we need leading the industry in sales.

DKHF

Not relevant to the current charts but any chance someone could please tell me what Final Fantasy XIII did first week and/or LTD in the UK? Can't find a number.

jjonez18

So many wrote off IW from the reveal. Especially when they saw it sticking to the Sci-Fi setting and BF1 trying something new. Seems the mass market is tiring of these same-ey sequels. The AAA bomba list continues to grow.

Edit: Wrong thread. Where da new one @

BigEmil

Jesus H Christ

The delayed 360 version of the original nearly beat the whole release of the sequel. That takes some getting your head around. And heads will be rolling at EA. Almost unbelievable and unthinkable to see. Like this was supposed to be a major IP. One that was going toe to toe with CoD. Yet these are numbers you'd expect from the latest B tier release. Not a AAA blockbuster. Got to wonder if this will make any money for them. Can't be long before it's bargain binned joining the original.
Only reason Titanfall 1 did so well was because it launched not only with hardly any competition that time with not many titles near it's release but also launched as a launch title for a new console where gamers choice to buy games is limited so alot of people will have to pick this up
Titanfall 2 simply would've done better if it released at a different time plus more marketing

Top Bottom