• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 46, 2015

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, I'll go and make the COD comparison by myself.

Call of Duty: Ghosts (90%)
First week - 690,000
Second week (-76%) - 165,600
First two weeks - 855,600

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (95%)
First week - 730,000
Second week (- 76%) - 175,200
First two weeks - 910,200

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (95%)
First week - 635,000
Second week (-57%) - 273,000
First two weeks - 908,000

Note: Ghosts sales were more spread out due to later launches of PS4 and Xbox One, this impacted first weeks' sales.

TLOU Remastered (PS4 only) sold more than ROTR on XB1 and 360.

So one of the greatest games ever made, remastered, sold more than Tomb raider. I can dig it. I bought that game launch day. One of my favourite games ever made.

Not bought tomb raider yet as I got fallout. I agree with people saying it was silly for MS to release the same week as fallout. I am going to buy it tho. I have heard it is an amazing game.

What were uncharted trilogy's numbers like? Do we have those for the uk?

Kysen

I'm a couple of hours into TR and it's the best one in the series. What a way to kill the franchise, idiotic decision by SE.

Kathian

Banned

First week - 690,000

First week - 730,000

First week - 635,000

Yep looking like a really solid entry - should show legs.

First week - 690,000

First week - 730,000

First week - 635,000

Wow really nice! And it would be ahead of AW as well for its first 2 weeks if it had as many days on sale.

BO3 is performing really nicely for Activision

madmackem

I'm a couple of hours into TR and it's the best one in the series. What a way to kill the franchise, idiotic decision by SE.

Yep its fucking fantastic game, its not for lack of ads either here, its been on tv for weeks now all over the place. Ms even took over fox channel on sky with a ms ad after every ad break. It was obvious to almost everyone but rabid fanboys that this deal was going to back fire on SE and ms depending on how much they paid for it. Now we have goty level game selling like shit and damaging a fantastic reboot. Well done everyone involved well done. Morons.

Xater

There are multiple factors that didn't help Tomb Raider here.

1. Launch timing. Coming out next to Fallout 4 is really stupid. It's also sandwiched between other big releases.

2. Xbox exclusivity. We all know they are doing worse than PS4. Having at least the PC version out at the same time would have been better.

3. TR as a franchise just isn't that big of a deal. I really think everyone involved overestimated how much of a sway it would have.

EGM1966

Sub 60k for TR and sub 50k on XB1? What a fuck up. I was always in the camp arguing the deal was a risky one but I didn't think it would be this bad. Fallout 4 going for same day has killed TR. Battlefront will keep sales suppressed so unless US really goes for it or bundles help TR I s going to seriously underperform.

PC sales will help but many on PC will wait for low price point. SE really better hope the big PlayStation audience don't mind the wait because if they do and sales are weak on PS4 they've effectively shot their newly rebooted iconic franchise in the knees.

I still can't fathom why they took the deal. If it was just to get up front money from MS that's incredibly stupid in relation to what should be a multi-year high income franchise.

Great Fallout numbers. Already known from the 12m shipped but it's going to be a big success.

Poor Lara though. I enjoyed the reboot and found it like first Uncharted, very promising but a little too limited in scope. I'll get the sequel eventually of course but SE are gonna have to wait quite a while for it due to their own doing. Unless they've got some get out clause that allows them to release earlier on other platforms if sales are too low on Xbox. That would make sense to negotiate for but given this is SE I assume they have no such thing.

The timed exclusivity is one thing, but what really hurt RotTR was releasing it in the middle of the holiday season, during the same week as Fallout 4 no less. Tomb Raider is the kind of IP that's too big to treat as a secondary release and one you'd expect to top the charts in the week it's coming out, providing it's a fairly relaxed window in terms of big releases, but RotTR had to compete with the likes of CoD and Fallout, and then there's Battlefront this week. It's just not high-profile enough to stand toe to toe with the big boys, and it's going to get stampeded as a result. And by the time the PS4 version comes out next fall, we'll once again be in the midst of the holiday season, and it'll be so long since the game originally came out that most people just won't give a shit about it anymore. This could be a real long term disaster for the Tomb Raider property.

Let's hope Microsoft really splashed out when they were in talks with SE.

AHA-Lambda

Considering it is exclusive to the less popular console on the same day as FO4, these numbers ain't surprising.

Good? No.
Deathknell for TR? No. It'll sell later with discounts and subsequent releases.

Thing is with the later releases and this being a staggered launch, sales will be less surely, that's what happens. SE better have gotten enough money to cover those sales, I'm sure that was part of it after all. But the thing is XB1 version should have still sold!

Still the release window more than anything really killed this. Whoever thought Nov 10 was a good idea needs to be fired.

Poor Tomb Raider was sent out to die with all these other big games coming out and with the exclusivity on top of it, it never stood a chance. It's a damn shame though because it's great.

Fall of the Tomb Raider, indeed, deserved though for that anti consumer bullshit deal which didn't even benefit Xbox console owners at all. Just pure BS.

dolemite

Extrapolates to about 300k for the US debut for the tomb raider. It may clear the 600k mark by the end of November and enter the NPD top 10.

Extrapolates to about 300k for the US debut for the tomb raider. It may clear the 600k mark by the end of November and enter the NPD top 10.

I doubt it, after week one your probably looking at 70-80% drop, and then if its anything like halo 50% drop after that week, so on 300K initial sales, you'd be lucky to push 500k in the month.

The extrapolation is also high its more like low end 200K, you also have to factor in it might be lower due to not including bundle costs.

unless it goes against the UK numbers and sells 400k+ in week one, no way it cracks the top 10.

Zero chance. First, doubling first week sales during the rest of the month is something few games do. Second, you're not taking into account that Tomb Raider is a British series and has always been more popular in the UK and Europe than it is in the US. It'll be lucky to hit 300k for the entire month in the US.

ZorpAttacks

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to the TR blame-game.

Does Square go nuclear and blame Microsoft for forcing them into a shitty release spot because they were pushing 'The greatest gaming lineup in the history of eternity' or do they take the easy way out and make it the gamers' fault; 'gamers are too cheap, they should buy every full price game on day of release, even if they all come out at the same bloody time.' My guess is the latter.

How and why the hell did they release this so early?

Madness.

Good week of software for XBone I quickly count 15 vs 9 to PS4 this week. Which is a turnaround to normal. That FIFA bundle is flying out and seems the main sku helping push the game on XBone high whilst also giving TR a boost with it being bundled too.

On to figures... Fallout is huge. Will be looking forward to splits but I imagine they will be close.

Tomb Raider is shocking. Luckily to save it from probably selling single figures, it's been bundles with the FIFA pack. There really is and was no hope for the title the way it was handled and given a stupid exclusive deal. Well done all those people at SE and MS for hurting a franchise. Well done indeed. I hope both parties are proud of themselves.

We now should be able to see the week one Sales of "the greatest games line up in Xbox history" in the UK shouldn't we? or did they include Fable in that? is that even getting a retail release?

Floody

Does Square go nuclear and blame Microsoft for forcing them into a shitty release spot because they were pushing 'The greatest gaming lineup in the history of eternity' or do they take the easy way out and make it the gamers' fault; 'gamers are too cheap, they should buy every full price game on day of release, even if they all come out at the same bloody time.' My guess is the latter.

They'll probably just stay quiet, maybe try and renegotiate to move the PS4 date closer, if it gets really bad. I doubt they'll have the sales meltdown again and blame everyone for their games not meeting their sales expectations.

We now should be able to see the week one Sales of "the greatest games line up in Xbox history" in the UK shouldn't we? or did they include Fable in that? is that even getting a retail release?

It's going to be F2P, so probably not.

Majmun

Both Halo 5 and Tomb Raider underperforming...

Call of Duty and Fallout have become monster franchises. Eating everything else up. And this week we have Star Wars.

No wonder Sony didn't care for first party exclusives. The third party games are going to sell most on their system anyway,

Blame themselves for not believing in their product. They took the easy way out. It was always a risk.

Kane1345

I don't own an Xbox but I've heard great things about TR and it's such a shame to see it perform that badly :/ I will do my part and pick it up when it's on a platform I own.

So what would have been good sales for tomb raider? or in Line with what we would like it to do?

It feels like there maybe a few extreme posts in this thread to me. I think it was silly to launch same week as fallout, but I don't think it is as bad as some people are making out.

Donos

Shame with TR. Was expected by many though. Really liked the first one and the second looks even better from all the impressions i have read. Should have been a good push for XB1 in a slower release month.

We don't know if Square/devs still got a good deal out of this but for the IP, this is not so good.

And Fallout got huge. Now a new engine for F6 please. Going to buy a patched version down the line. Still to much on my gaming plate.

Rymuth

I'm looking forward to how they'll advertise the PC/PS4 versions. I expect to hear a lot of buzzwords like 'Definitive' and whatnot to try their hands at a second launch.

PlayStation 4 (53%) - 255,460
Xbox One (41%) - 197,620

Wow, that Fallout split is something else. You could say it's a Tomb Raider distance away.

Certainly expected close single digit % differences, so that is a bigger gap all things considered. God knows what the damage would have been though if Sony got the marketing for that title. Though Sony did well to bundle the game unnofficially. Fallout/XBone marketing was everywhere though and again with bundles. People really are just using the PS4 as their go to console for third party games.

Hasney

Sorry guys, remind me who it was that guessed 480k? ;) and you guys wanted me to put in 300k for the sweepstake...

Yeah, fuck. Honestly didn't think the UK market had the health to support anything non FIFA/COD. Now I'll be shocked if Battlefront does as well!

Code:
01 (NE) FALLOUT 4 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 482,000 / NEW

PlayStation 4 (53%) - 255,460
Xbox One (41%) - 197,620
PC (6%) - 28,920

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/16/fallout-4-knocks-call-of-duty-from-uk-number-one-spot-5504493/

Well damn. At the end of the Halo numbers talk, I was thinking that Halo 5 sold the most you could expect on XB1 for something that wasn't COD or FIFA. Wasn't expecting FO4 XB1 to spank Halo.
Does that include bundles?

There were official Fallout 4 bundles?

Yes and yes

So Halo should just be under 200k after 3 weeks retail. Which, of course is very poor. I think I saw shop2 selling it for £32 yesterday on hotdeals. But I'd imagine retailers will be looking to offload their stocks in the coming weeks as it's massively under performed.

Top Bottom