• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 7, 2015

NHale

If you want to play with a family member/friend on 2 consoles at the same time:

£55 Digital
£80 Amazon

Or just buy it on the North American digital store and get it for £36 digital...

I keep wondering if the single format marketing deals hurt. Like if someone saw the TV advert, then XB1 at the end but they only have a PS4, they don't pay it another thought. Obviously doesn't happen on franchise games like COD or FIFA, but when you do it for a January release when people aren't going to game stores to see it on the shelves, it's a helluva risk.

Saints Row IV still counts as the biggest bomba of the year in my eyes just because it still sold well, WELL below expectations.

People must have learned by now that the "The Ultimate Experience only available on...." doesn't mean anything and at the same time most people that buy games outside COD, FIFA, GTA or BF are usually people that are remotely invested in this industry and know what games are exclusive or not.

The ad running on TV was also bad imho. It made it look like a multiplayer only game and focusing on the monster aspect. Honest ad but one that is exactly the opposite of what mainstream likes.

Xando

You realize what ">" means, yes? It's really just a lower bound.

You realize that Majora's Mask is in front of both console versions in individual sales ? This is not Germany or France where it would happen regardless but the UK which is generally weak for nintendo.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You realize that Majora's Mask is in front of both console versions in individual sales ? This is not Germany or France where it would happen regardless but the UK which is generally weak for nintendo.
I do, but he was just quoting lower bounds which do not say much about the game's sales. In theory, Majora's Mask could have sold a billion copies and Evolve on Xbone a billion minus one copies and still be in line with the lower bounds for Evolve he is commenting on.

Hasney

Then the scenario I mentioned is not possible, that is both of us want to play on our main accounts.

Make the US account primary on one system, have them boot the game on their main account after download and never login to that account again. Revoke the licenses online, then make the account primary on the other system and you can both play on primary accounts on 2 consoles.

Is it the 1st time a multiformat game has sold more on XBone week 1?

Not that there's much in it but I wonder if the PS4 will have longer legs going forward or whether the XBone tied ads and DLC will keep it on top.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
WOW at Majora's and Monster Hunter! Didn't expect that.

57% boost for 3DS hw doesn't sound that great when you consider that sales were probably way down last week before the release of New 3DS (not to mention that even normal sales of 3DS are not probably that high in UK nowadays). Good for MH4 though. Evolve pretty big bomba.

Evolve is one of the most heavily marketed games I've seen in a while. Maybe it's because they're targeting me very well (Twitch, YouTube, Twitter). Seems that the Xbox branding has paid off with the #2 spot.

Hasney

57% boost for 3DS hw doesn't sound that great when you consider that sales were probably way down last week before the release of New 3DS (not to mention that even normal sales of 3DS are not probably that high in UK nowadays). Good for MH4 though. Evolve pretty big bomba.

The way it's worded suggests that the entire hardware market increased by 57% rather than just 3DS sales.

EGM1966

Man that looks like low numbers for Evolve number 1 combined or not. Taking 1% to equal 400 (rounded up) makes for pretty bleak launch. And MS must surely have been hoping for more than 1% advantage when putting together the marketing deal (maybe it'll do better in US though).

TBH the recent DLC / price backlash and weak word of mouth (and what looks to me to be mixed user scores in general combined with solid bit not amazing review scores) really seems to have held the title back at least in this region.

What's the next brand new IP launch? The Order? All eyes on that then I guess.

Hasney

But it probably cost Deep Silver about €50 to port, so it wouldn't have had to sell much to turn a profit.

High Voltage probably work for peanuts. Literal peanuts. And not even the edible kind, those packing peanuts,

In all seriousness, unless it did much better in the US, even a shoestring port would have needed to do better than it did week 1 with the numbers the top of the chart was doing.

NHale

What's the next brand new IP launch? The Order? All eyes on that then I guess.

That is going to bomb even more than Evolve considering you can't find it for cheaper than 45 pounds right now and the rumors going around about the length of the game. The game also never had much of a positive hype around it and even reached new lows where it was the subject of the infamous Eurogamer article about not preordering games aka don't preorder The Order 1886.

I would be shocked if The Order sells more than 20k copies next week (can't wait for the "it only counted 3 days of sales" excuse).

That is going to bomb even more than Evolve considering you can't find it for cheaper than 45 pounds right now and the rumors going around about the length of the game.

I would be shocked if The Order sells more than 20k copies next week (can't wait for the "it only counted 3 days of sales" excuse).

Get ready to be shocked.

Get ready to be shocked.

image.php

thelastword

Banned
High Voltage probably work for peanuts. Literal peanuts. And not even the edible kind, those packing peanuts,

In all seriousness, unless it did much better in the US, even a shoestring port would have needed to do better than it did week 1 with the numbers the top of the chart was doing.
It's good though, at least gamers are finally sending a message back to publishers/developers. If you're not going to make a good product, might as well not make it at all, there's no free money here.

Hasney

That is going to bomb even more than Evolve considering you can't find it for cheaper than 45 pounds right now and the rumors going around about the length of the game. The game also never had much of a positive hype around it and even reached new lows where it was the subject of the infamous Eurogamer article about not preordering games aka don't preorder The Order 1886.

I was expecting 20-30k anyway. Seems about right for a February new IP release.

Then Bloodborne do something similar.

Some numbers to compare Evolve to from last year. Please tell me if I am missing something obvious, but this looks really bad to me?

Shadow of Mordor at the time was also only on PS4, Xbox One and PC and it sold three times as much copies in the first week. Evolve also sold less copies in the first week than Forza Horizon 2 which was only on two platforms.

So what you're saying is Evolve isn't doing well.

How does it compare to Wolfenstein? I know it's no where near the launch of LFD2.

Hasney

Basically, no matter what, The Order will be #1 in the charts next week but I bet we don't get a hint of numbers other than larger than one of the Evolve formats which will be sitting at 8k at most.

In other words, the thread next week will be full of "Well deserved" for The Order hitting number 1 when for all we know it could have sold less than just one SKU of Evolve.

EDIT: For clarity, I hope I'm wrong and we do get an indication of how well it did one way or another. But hitting #1 in the UK charts at this time of year is not a big deal at all, so if we have no indication of numbers, I hope we have no-one celebrating a #1 that called Evolve a bomba.

NHale

Did you also click on the best sellers part of the website? You may be shocked.

I refuse to believe what I'm seeing. Yes I'm shocked already. Now I know why prices aren't going down in the UK retail market.

Thankfully I can still use the Canadian PSN Store to buy games at launch but the weak € is not helping my plan...

Empty

there's so much evolve marketing on the london underground, but they totally flubbed the launch. lots of money wasted.

I was expecting 20-30k anyway. Seems about right for a February new IP release.

Then Bloodborne do something similar.

PS4 exclusive cover based shooter set in Victorian London with heavy marketing is going to do 20-30k first week in UK? I will eat my hat if it does under 50k. Infamous: SS did 69k last year with fraction of the install base and in less appealing genre. Not to mention that at least in US preorders for Order are above the combined versions of Evolve according some insiders in NPD thread.

Conduit

Banned

On UK Amazon ( hourly ) The Order is 2nd. Evolve didn't reach that spot.

Hasney

PS4 exclusive cover based shooter set in Victorian London with heavy marketing is going to do 20-30k first week in UK? I will eat my hat if it does under 50k. Infamous: SS did 69k last year with fraction of the install base and in less appealing genre. Not to mention that at least in US preorders for Order are above the combined versions of Evolve according some insiders in NPD thread.

Sweet, happy to be wrong if that's the case, I'm just not hearing anybody talk about it all which is weird. I usually hear people talking about most releases that feel big.

I still think it will do around Infamous at best even with the bigger install base though, purely because it's a new IP and it's not getting an official bundle (which I'm actually quite surprised about).

Sweet, happy to be wrong if that's the case, I'm just not hearing anybody talk about it all which is weird. I usually hear people talking about most releases that feel big.

I still think it will do around Infamous at best even with the bigger install base though, purely because it's a new IP and it's not getting an official bundle (which I'm actually quite surprised about).

Well anecdotal evidence can be missleading a lot of times. I mean of course Order could completely bomb and sell only 20k first week but I just don't believe in that based on market realities. In any case I will prepare my hat if I am wrong somehow.

EGM1966

I was looking at Amazon charts for games while picking up yet another iPhone charge cable (I've got to stop losing those fuckers) and i think you may be in for a surprise.

I'm not sure how well The Order will sell but looks like it'll be more than Evolve (in UK/Pal) unless Evolve sprouts some serious legs.

Top Bottom