• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek: Sony possibly looking at increasing Neo specs due to Scorpio

WoolyNinja

Is it really increasing the specs if they never announced official specs or the console yet? Everything has been rumor, this included.

SOR5

Doubtful. Why would Sony give a shit about what MS does at this point?

160px-Xbox360.jpg

latest

Kolx

My little prediction : all this vague power related talk is suddenly going to be way less important for a while when September 7th come.

If Sony has prepared a whole event for the NEO, it's pretty clear they have a lot to show, with efficient comparisons between PS4 and NEO games that could be pretty decisive in people's mind.

If this presentation is a success and if NEO comes into the market this year, what could Microsoft possibly do to stop the PS4 from dominating even more the worldwide market, boosted by this whole new momentum that is a mid-cycle upgraded machine ? Just keep repeating that they will have 2 more teraflops one year later is not going to be enough if, by any chance, the NEO is able to bring us a 60fps Bloodborne or some other significant goods like this.

Have a feeling a lot of doubts will be washed as soon as the discussion will shift from the vague technical sheet talk to concrete videos of games running on NEO. Seriously, September 7th can't come soon enough !

Didn't MS say they have some news to share this year? I'd think MS will try to fuck with Sony by talking about how powerful Scorpio is on the hope people will be contained with their current console and wait one year for the more powerful one.

icespide

Banned
to be clear, I don't think power is the most important thing

I don't get why some people constantly point to the Wii as some kind of perfect example of power not mattering.

The Wii tapped into a new market and thats why it sold the way it did (and why no one bought any games for it other than Wii Sports)

It's not like the Wii had this amazing 3rd party support. Gamers that actually cared about playing the latest video games barely gave a shit about it.
Last week on GAF: Better specs and graphics don't matter!

Today on GAF: Graphics and specs matter again!

hilarious right? it's almost like GAF isn't a hivemind and that different people have different opinions

As somebody who bears no real platform loyalty, the machine with the most power is the one I'll look to play multiplatform titles on, so this is good news.

I'd rather not have these quick hardware upgrades at all mind you, but if that's where the big two are going hell or high water, might as well make them as worthwhile as is feasible.

Guess I missed last week. But power, and putting that power to use is certainly one of the main reasons I've got a PS4.

farisr

Today on GAF: Graphics and specs matter again!
Last week on GAF: Generic post #304 treating GAF as a hivemind pretending like people within the hivemind are flipflopping on their stances compared to the last day/week/month/year/generation on a certain issue without any specific examples to back such a statement up.

This week on GAF: Generic post #304 treating GAF as a hivemind pretending like people within the hivemind are flipflopping on their stances compared to the last day/week/month/year/generation on a certain issue without any specific examples to back such a statement up.

system11

If you're going to shit on the whole model customers expect from the console space, at least make it worth the upgrade. In that sense, I hope this rumour is true.

SOR5

Fluke gen, sony fucked up and gave 360 a chance. For another 360 scenario, Sony has to fuck up the price and launch of NEO and PS5.

Dont get me wrong, I know that situation is unlikely.

Its the godawful assumption that Sony can do whatever they like now that's wrong.

SOR5

Again, Why would they even worry when they have unrivaled WW presence? losing some sales in US/UK won't change a 20m gap between nearest competitor.

You posting that picture only confirms my point more, people go on top, people go on bottom. the PS3, Wii U and Xbox One were riddled with bad decisions giving away the market share. You cant just do whatever you like.

A picture of the PS4 seems to imply that you think Sony is in an eternal state of invincibility and seventh gen was just an anomaly, theyre not. I'm not implying anything, i'm not saying theyre going to be "de-throned", i'm saying they cant do whatever they want.

Xenoflare

Again, Why would they even worry when they have unrivaled WW presence? losing some sales in US/UK won't change a 20m gap between nearest competitor.

Isn't it a better idea to ensure you are not going to be caught up by your competitors for as long as possible?

This is what I'm expecting if they do indeed up spec. Just up clock speeds a bit and maybe throw another 2 or so GB of RAM in there

I agree with this line of thinking as well, if they really do want to release this Autumn then there isn't enough time to do a significant power redesign.

I think they'll upclock the cpu and gpu to closer hit a 5tf target, with additional ram. Maybe upclock the ram speed too.

Didn't MS say they have some news to share this year? I'd think MS will try to fuck with Sony by talking about how powerful Scorpio is on the hope people will be contained with their current console and wait one year for the more powerful one.

Yep. Phil Spencer indeed said they would have something to share this year. Remains to be seen when and where though. I was expecting them to go into detail next year during the MS event but it sounds like they will say something before that.

6TF seems awfully low in 2017.
Sadly consoles now days seem to be "moderately powerful" rather than bleeding edge. The market changed - companies can no longer risk hundreds of millions on cutting edge subsidised hardware on the promise that they'll make their money back on game sales and so on.

To your point, a 4.2tf release looks like an oddity now MS have shown their hand. Xbox fans will hang on for Scorpio and ps fans will maybe upgrade maybe not. or maybe it's fundamentally to help push psvr in which case it makes a lot more sense.

Maybe the early announce of Scorpio will convince Sony to go with the more powerful cpu as hinted - that makes Neo alot more interesting Imo and can only be to the benefit of gamers in the long run.

Tl;Dr Competition is good & give me more Tf

Deku Tree

I find this rumor hard to believe. Price and moving first is more important than power. People inside Sony talk about everything.

The power differential isn't important (whether it's Sony or Microsoft the with more powerful box). Microsoft has, however, achieved exactly what it wanted to with that empty Scorpio announcement judging by threads like this.

Sony will have approached this console exactly the same as they did the standard PS4, so if first-parties are telling them they want it beefed up in certain areas, they'll listen. And if they can deliver those boosts without dramatically changing the design or cost, then I'm sure they'll implement them.

system11

I find this rumor hard to believe. Price and moving first is more important than power. People inside Sony talk about everything.

Price is in the back seat on this one, you're talking about people opting to buy a more expensive console to begin with when a normal one exists.

If they do something to make it stronger, i hope they keep in mind the noise of the console, my PS4 sounds like a hair dryer when playing UC4.

Toparaman

Banned
The Wii tapped into a new market and thats why it sold the way it did (and why no one bought any games for it other than Wii Sports)

But that's factually wrong. You're conveniently forgetting the massive popularity of Wii Fit, Mario Kart, NSMB, Brawl, Twilight Princess, etc.

Aceofspades

Banned
Lets be honest here for a second, the days of unpredictable consoles architictures are behind us. Both Sony and MS are just tied to AMD roadmap so the latter you release, the more powerful your box are going to be. Sony could just delay NEO to fall 2017 and we will end up with two consoles with EXACTLY the same specs.

I think Sony has the upper hand in both cases, release in 2016, they get massive headstart and WW mindshare. Release in 2017, MS will be screwed since releasing at the same time with Sony never works since they have weaker brand.

So, Sony is not threatened at all by MS plans imo.

EDIT: I think there is a huge possibility that NEO might steal the thunder from NX...won't be pretty to Nintendo.

Striek

I would be somewhat disappointed if they don't improve on rumoured specs to bridge the gap. I know its about the same gulf as the XBOne to PS4 gap at the moment (relative), and I think XBOne graphics are much, much uglier than PS4 games on average (IQ differences are under appreciated on multiplatform titles, and the exclusive gap is massive) in an overall unimpressive generation of visuals. But the Scorpio is out a year later and is basically a paper platform at the moment, so it naturally should be more powerful in the end. MS would have to screw the pooch for it not to be at least 25% more powerful.

4.2TF at $399 is fine with me. I don't know how much of a difference 4 vs 5 teraflops is going to make when most everything is still being designed around base PS4/XB1 level specs.
Yeah, I just want one at this point. if these consoles are designed to work with base models, I say just give us a great GPU and wait for the huge upgrade for PS5.

I just want current gen games at 1080p/60 and more impressive VR titles.

Price is in the back seat on this one, you're talking about people opting to buy a more expensive console to begin with when a normal one exists.
Yup. People will pay a premium for performance, and the PS4 is always there on price.

I thought that was the whole point.

I remember when consoles was fan-less devices that kids could play all day now 6TF of processing power isn't good enough for video games?
MS and Sony decided to bust the normal console cycle and have a power war. This is what you want, this is what you get.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I heard that Playstation 65 was coming just a few months after Nintendo 64. So you Nintendo fans won't be laughing for very long LOL!

Quasar

Is it really increasing the specs if they never announced official specs or the console yet? Everything has been rumor, this included.

Certainly changing specs before production isn't new.

That said its hard for me to see much changing given how tied it is to whats available from AMD. If its to be released this year there isn't a whole lot Sony can do to compete specwise with something released a year later.

icespide

Banned
But that's factually wrong. You're conveniently forgetting the massive popularity of Wii Fit, Mario Kart, NSMB, Brawl, Twilight Princess, etc.

I'm exaggerating, I know there were lots of good games but it was clearly not even competing with the PS3/360 in the same space

farisr

What rubbish.
And there you have it.

I really think whoever the sources are put a spin on them exploring the higher spec (that Osiris mentioned happening as early as March before the Scorpio was even rumored about) and combined it with the "sony's worried about Scorpio" rhetoric that happened once the official announcement/6TF figure was mentioned.

statham

Sony should keep it where they are at, Or MS will just boost theres, no reason for it. BUT, they should increase RAM to 12GB like MS and I don't think MS will increase the ram above that. It'll make a huge difference in some games. But also likely to add some to the cost of PS4k Neo.

to be clear, I don't think power is the most important thing

I don't get why some people constantly point to the Wii as some kind of perfect example of power not mattering.

It's not like the Wii had this amazing 3rd party support. Gamers that actually cared about playing the latest video games barely gave a shit about it.

hilarious right? it's almost like GAF isn't a hivemind and that different people have different opinions

Wii's attach rate is higher than your favorite console of choice.

What rubbish.

"Let's see what we can conjure up for some clicks"

ItsDorf

Banned
I'm getting a 'Q1 2017' out of this

Yep I don't think they have a reason to rush it out now. The will own Holiday season again, and give developers another 6 months to get titles ready. I hate it, but I think they want to fine tune it. I can see them changing a few specs trying to make it closer to Scorpio.

4 teraflops GPU power think (Nvidia 970 level)
10-12gigs of GDDR5 ram (2-4 gigs more to developers for textures and VR titles)
8 Jaguar processors uptick to 2.5GHz

This will allow all titles 1080p/60fps without compromises, allow a single system for PSVR plugin, and allow 4K media, and most 4K games at 30fps.

$349.99 March 2017

Standard PS4 drops to $250.00

This will hold them over and I expect them to start this leapfrog with Microsoft. Scorpio Holiday 2017, PSX Holiday 2018......I expect a revamp offering every 3 years from now on. You will be able to play all the games regardless of your system as they will just be spec boosts.

Top Bottom