• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Ryan denies GOP would try to impeach Dem accused of same actions as Trump

Tovarisc

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) insisted on Thursday that Republicans wouldn’t be calling for the impeachment of a Democratic president accused of the same actions as President Trump.

As fired FBI Director James Comey was before a Senate committee, accusing the president of trying to influence a criminal investigation, Ryan dismissed the notion from a reporter at his weekly Capitol press conference that Republicans would be suggesting impeachment at this point.

“No. I don’t think we would, actually. I don’t think that’s at all the case,” Ryan said.

Ryan expressed sympathy for Trump, pointing to Comey’s testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee detailing that he told Trump on multiple occasions that he was not personally under investigation.
“What I got out of that testimony is, we now know why he was so frustrated when the FBI director told him three times there’s no investigation of him, yet that speculation was allowed to continue,” Ryan said.

The Speaker suggested that Trump’s behavior might be a result of not having experience in government before becoming president. The night before, Ryan said on MSNBC that it was “obviously” inappropriate for Trump to ask Comey for his loyalty over a private dinner at the White House.

“The president’s new at this. He’s new to government. So, he probably wasn’t steeped in the long-running protocols that establish the relationships between [the Department of Justice], the FBI and White Houses. He’s just new to this,” Ryan said.

But Ryan acknowledged later: “I’m not saying it’s an acceptable excuse. It’s just my observation.”
Source: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...tic-president-accused-of#.WTqjzIsSCh8.twitter

gQhy9Xe.png

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/873173445273690113

Eusis

And a Democrat SHOULD be impeached for those actions particularly if they weren't being an effective president besides. God, no, don't act like this shit is OK.

Aurongel

They promised to impeach Hillary for far less so that doesn't hold water.

She wasn't even in office yet and they thought she was in violation of her oath of office.

theWB27

You won't work with democrats AT ALL on anything Ryan, but we're to believe you'd leave a Dem in power? Right...

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The amount of inquiries a Republican controlled Congress would have launched against Hillary would have effectively stopped government for 2 years.

You know they had a whole game plan written down somewhere.

Well that's how cognitive dissonance works. It'd be great if you could break it by saying 'now imagine a Democrat did this' but you can't.

i'm not going to sit here and say a lot of democrats wouldn't be defending their president either.

republicans will defend trump until it becomes politically expedient not to.

Zaru

What a fucking joke.

Republicans would constantly, 24/7, throughout the entire presidency, try to impeach a Dem president who did ANY single thing Trump did.

I feel alone in that even though I know Ryan is trying to be a spineless stooge here and spin this, it's actually a fairly damning indictment of the president if you believe his spin.

The first thing they started with under the new congress in 2010 was impeach Obama for whatever bullshit they could come up with. Their majority now has them burning all their cards in front of everyone to see.

Top Bottom