• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Ryan denies GOP would try to impeach Dem accused of same actions as Trump

gaiages

Banned
And a Democrat SHOULD be impeached for those actions particularly if they weren't being an effective president besides. God, no, don't act like this shit is OK.

Basically lol

Why they think that's a good argument is beyond me. Corruption is okay no matter the party?

I mean this is besides the point that they would have tried to impeach Clinton if she happened to have the wrong lipstick on or something

They'll impeach Bill Clinton for lying about a blowjob, but not Donald Trump for obstructing justice and committing treason with Russians.

jmdajr

tenor.gif

Balphon

Transparent liar lies transparently.

Paul Ryan doesn't really care what happens as long as he can pass some tax cuts and financial sector deregulation.

The GOP base is so demented that they're probably angry over this. Ryan even hypothetically letting a Democrat skate on anything will enrage them. The gross hypocrisy is clearly not something that bothers them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The thing is, a Dem President wouldn't even do any of the things Trump did. Hell, most former Republican Presidents wouldn't either. Because they're bad things.

Volimar

“The president’s new at this. He’s new to government. So, he probably wasn’t steeped in the long-running protocols that establish the relationships between [the Department of Justice], the FBI and White Houses. He’s just new to this,” Ryan said.

The best part of this is that Trump denies it happened. Ryan is basically calling him a liar while defending him.

mclem

I feel alone in that even though I know Ryan is trying to be a spineless stooge here and spin this, it's actually a fairly damning indictment of the president if you believe his spin.

As in "It's okay, he's not unconstitutionally wielding massive power for his own benefit... he's just incompetent"?

I feel alone in that even though I know Ryan is trying to be a spineless stooge here and spin this, it's actually a fairly damning indictment of the president if you believe his spin.

Yeah it's about the tropiest excuse in the book for breaking the law. What's next, that it was actually his cousin's and he was just borrowing the Oval Office for the weekend. And it even confirms the law breaking.

You need to get to his voter base.

All GoP decisions are based on their district polling.

If the people in the GoP voting districts still support Trump, despite all the scandals, the GoP will continue to blindly support him and make excuses for him.

Once Trump's support among THOSE people drops, THEN the GoP will start to get more critical and serious about it.

Because at the end of the day, all they give a shit about is their job security. Democrats/Liberals/Moderates/Even-minded people, etc... in one part of the country can't vote out a Republican in another part of the country that is in a Republican-dominated district.

You have to get into the minds of those Red State districts and convince the voters that they are not being represented somehow. That keeping the Paul Ryans of the world in office is bad for them.

theWB27

You need to get to his voter base.

All GoP decisions are based on their district polling.

If the people in the GoP voting districts still support Trump, despite all the scandals, the GoP will continue to blindly support him and make excuses for him.

Once Trump's support among THOSE people drops, THEN the GoP will start to get more critical and serious about it.

Because at the end of the day, all they give a shit about is their job security. Democrats/Liberals/Moderates/Even-minded people, etc... in one part of the country can't vote out a Republican in another part of the country that is in a Republican-dominated district.

You have to get into the minds of those Red State districts and convince the voters that they are not being represented somehow. That keeping the Paul Ryans of the world in office is bad for them.

This isn't a secret. They don't care about the facts. How can you convince someone that something isn't good for them if they don't care about facts? The lot of them would rather see Dems/liberals lose than themselves win.

Mathieran

Banned
I'm impressed that he was able to say that with a straight face. The spin is terrible, but let's not pretend he's not a damn good liar.

As in "It's okay, he's not unconstitutionally wielding massive power for his own benefit... he's just incompetent"?

Yes. Trump's lawyer is denying that this impropriety happened at all. The other spin I was seeing yesterday from Republicans seemed to be trying to establish that while this type of behavior may be unorthodox and a little inappropriate, it hardly crosses the line into obstruction. Ryan's spin actually borders into "yeah, he fucked up. Sure. But he didn't know what he was doing!"

Occam

Take note, future Democratic presidents. Collusion, possible treason, obstruction of justice, nepotism and so on are petty offenses and not grounds for impeachment.
Just don't ever use a private email server, that's crossing the line and calls for prison.

Great, since he's so new to government that he apparently is incapable of understanding the basic rules of governance, that's all the more reason to not let him off on this and remove him from office.

And a Congress that is derelict in its duty to protect the people should likewise be removed from office.

Corruption on this scale justifies violent revolution in other countries.

Not to mention that GOP congressmen floated impeaching Obama for much less.

RPGCrazied

I'm seriously thinking Paul Ryan is compromised. He probably knows if Trump falls, so will he. It only makes sense with how he constantly defends and makes excuses for him.

Fury451

Banned
Then the Republicans would be failing at serving the people- someone should be impeached for those same things.

Lmao Paul, you're weak as hell.

Since when does ignorance of the law absolve you from the law?

I'm going to go rob a bank. If I get caught, I'll simply say I'm new at robbing banks and wasn't expecting to get caught. A judge or jury would be OK with that, right?

Lifeline

You know if Hillary was president they would be trying to impeach her over the attorney general telling the director to call the investigation a "matter".

What everyone here seems to be forgetting is that Republicans cannot tell a lie. It goes against their nature. It's in their party's blood. "I cannot tell a lie" I think history's most famous Republican, George Washington, said that once about a cherry tree.

I'm seriously thinking Paul Ryan is compromised. He probably knows if Trump falls, so will he. It only makes sense with how he constantly defends and makes excuses for him.

Maybe he's not compromised, maybe he realizes the damage it would due to his party is far worse if he wasn't in massive spin/control.

Remember folks...

GOP scandals = fake news
Dem scandals = threat to our very very existence

Oh and it's the left that needs to be compassionate/ tolerant.

Mesoian

I mean...after the fallout that was trying to impeach clinton, he's probably right. There's a reason why dems haven't moved forward with actual impeachment yet.

If a Democrat did all this shit, there would be conservatives with high powered rifles making sniper nests around DC.

And the GoP would be fast-tracking bills to allow them to be there.

EdmondD

They should officially change the name of jellyfish to Paul Ryan.
"What is that slimy spineless creature flopping around?"
"That's a Paul Ryan."

Sephzilla

I've been thinking for a while that a lot of the higher up GOP is compromised in some way.

Top Bottom