• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCGAF: 4K/30fps or 1080p/60fps?

bede-x

1080p/60fps obviously. Much better controller response and you can turn the camera in a 3D game without the background becoming all blurry and every line looking like it's doubled, because too much time passed since the last frame.

Mugen08

I prefer 60+fps but am still used to some games being 30 and have no big problems with that. For my next build I will target a larger screen than my current 27" 1080p144-screen, something like 34+" ultrawide 1440p with 60+fps.

noomi

I've never even played or seen a 4K game so I can't say....

but I sure do like me some 1080p60fps though

hodgy100

2560 x 1080 49-75 variable framerate for me :D

solong as the game performs at the full res of my monitor within the freesync window then Im happy.

Corpsepyre

Banned
My goodness, 1080p/60 any day. Not like I'm getting that with my current setup for most new games either though. Need to upgrade.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 144Hz 1080p gsync monitor, so I very much prefer to run games at higher framerates (why stop at 60?) and native resolution. If the game runs very well, I'll sometimes run the game at higher resolution and downsample to 1080p.

jdw_b

Definitely as high a framerate as possible.

I've just bought a 144hz Monitor with Freesync so I just let my GPU push as high as it can go up to 140fps.

Also, a Freesync monitor is the best thing i've ever bought

Kezen

Banned
1080p/60fps easily. I won't move from my 1080p monitor even when Pascal hits, I want more visual effects and higher framerates over more pixels.

1080p since 2010 and I think it's good enough for me.

It would be interesting to see who prefers 1080/60 to 4K/30 and if they have actually played something at native 4K. I mean I love 60fps as much as the next guy but 4K resolution is damn sexy, so incredibly sharp.

For me it depends on the genre, I played the witness at 4K and it made the game simply stunning at times.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd take 1440p@60fps over both.

If I were choosing by the TC's metrics I'll go 1080/60 first all day.

Until 4k is doable at those frames then 1440p is the new 1080 in my opinion. And that resolution is pretty sharp.

FLAguy954

Both. My TV is capable of both UHD/30 Hz and 1080p/122Hz so I have a lot of options (and I can't wait to upgrade to a 60hz UHD tv).

DSix

Banned
I take 60fps no matter what. My GPU is a fairly weak 270x and if I have to reduce details to get to 60 I do without hesitations.

4k isn't even on my radar, my next upgrade is for 21:9 gaming and VR.

It would be interesting to see who prefers 1080/60 to 4K/30 and if they have actually played something at native 4K. I mean I love 60fps as much as the next guy but 4K resolution is damn sexy, so incredibly sharp.

I've never played anything in 4K, but I can't imagine myself ever sacrificing frame rate for an increase in resolution.

Dunkley

As a lowend gamer who can't even reliably hit 1080p/60, I have to say for me it depends on the game. If it's a slower game I'm fine with a 30FPS lock, otherwise I'll gladly go down with the resolution to hit a reliable 60 since framerate is king.

Dark Matter

Neo Member
1440p 60 FPS.

If you can do 4K at 30 you can do that. Best of both worlds, in my opinion, especially if you're downsampling onto a 1080p screen.

An option to play Bloodborne at 1440p with 60fps, just think of such a beauty.

I believe that even the most skeptical people will at some point buy the new model if that ever happen.

lOTl

Banned
Ultra high resolution is nice if you are sitting close enough to resolve the pixels with your eyesight, otherwise there is no point. For example: At 10' away 4K is meaningful for screen sizes of 70" and higher (guesstimate).
Hi Rez is probably more important for desktop monitors than it is for TVs. Personally I find fps more important than resolution for gaming. I imagine the 1440p/144hz mark is about as good as it gets right now.

A vast majority of the time I'd probably even take 720p/60fps over 4k/30. With enough post processing and such, 720 can still look very sharp as long as your monitor isn't too big, and most PC monitors aren't.

mmmh, it dependes on the game, but in general, more FPS is better.

OT:
I'm in the minority - I will always take native resolution/image quality over fps, so 4K/30fps.

For example, I have a 15" Retina Macbook Pro and I play at 2880x1800, even if it means lowering down the settings. Also have a 27" 5K iMac which I lower settings for. I cannot stand sub-native images so I compromise.

Did you try to run quantum break on the macbook? It crashes for me every time (I don't get the min recomended spects)

60 fps is such an improvement to gameplay given the choice I always take it.
Even when it doesn't affect gameplay (like turn based stuff), I still prefer it because 60 fps animations are much more of a visual treat than slightly less aliasing.

Mifec

60 fps is such an improvement to gameplay given the choice I always take it.
Even when it doesn't affect gameplay (like turn based stuff), I still prefer it because 60 fps animations are much more of a visual treat than slightly less aliasing.

I have to echo this, it even improves Hearthstone rofl.

4K wants about 4x video card power to drive at same settings as 1080p, assuming no bottlenecks.

1080p60 with more settings turned on should be a lot better than 4K30, really. Much prefer the guaranteed smoothness, and with G-Sync turned on, you're also safe from frame time hitches! :D You'll never have to deal with possible rendering issues, either.

Just enjoy your video games for what they are.

Neither.

1080p looks pretty rank and underwhelming these days.

30 fps is considerably more disgusting though, and is virtually unplayable imo.

1440p at 60+fps (on g-sync) with everything maxed is how I roll these days.

Top Bottom