• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 was the #1 most downloaded game at the US PS Store in April, #13 in EU

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The cat decides you need to sleep at the same times that the protagonist of Persona 4 decides he needs to sleep of his own volition. There are even a couple times when Morgana isn't around, but the main character decides he needs to sleep anyway, just as though Morgana was there.

If the cat was patched, it'd just be replacing "You must be tired" with "I'm tired".

I think this is more a reflection of the cat narrating everything for you when some things dont make sense. Would have been better if the MC internal monologued some stuff with thought bubbles.

EU continues to give Sega reasons not to release at the same time over there. Get your shit together EU.

If they had actually bothered to translate the game, perhaps people would have paid attention. If you're releasing a 100 hours long story-based game in a language most of the audience doesn't understand, you're destined to stay a niche product. And the SMT brand has been completely mishandled for years over here, so the Atlus fanbase is understandably much smaller.

Lol at people who don't understand the EU chart. It's pretty normal, game is sold out pretty much everywhere(even the steelbook and TYH editions) so it isn't a big surprise.

Game is incredible, now feed us with more Personas and SMT Atlus!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Lol at people who don't understand the EU chart. It's pretty normal, game is sold out pretty much everywhere(even the steelbook and TYH editions) so it isn't a big surprise.

Game is incredible, now feed us with more Personas and SMT Atlus!

Isnt this a digital chart? What does it being sold out everywhere matter, if anything the digital sales should be even higher because of that.

Trace

Banned
Maybe they should start giving a damn about Europe first.

People have been complaining about Sega's handling of EU for years. They finally bother to release it at the same time as NA and it doesn't sell nearly as well? Not a good look for the future.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
People have been complaining about Sega's handling of EU for years. They finally bother to release it at the same time as NA and it doesn't sell nearly as well? Not a good look for the future.

...are you serious?

Mr Rivuz

Here on italian psn Persona 5 costs 70€ LOL
I will never buy a digital version of a game on day one with prices like that, i paid 50€ for the steelbook edition on Amazon thanks to a preorder placed a few months ago when there was a promotional code available.

RalchAC

let
ryuji
say
fuck

I found quite funny how he could say shit and fuck but suddenly he'd be like eff that!

Yeah, fuck Europeans for not buying in droves an overpriced digital copy of a game that's not in the native lenguage of 80% of their population!

Fuck them all!

SirNinja

"In order to sell as many copies as you did, you must have cultivated a very large fanbase around a series of excellent games.

How did you do it? Answer me!"

ZB5bCVx.jpg

Reknoc

Isnt this a digital chart? What does it being sold out everywhere matter, if anything the digital sales should be even higher because of that.

Not at the price its at though. The people that really wanted it got it, and probably helped it chart. Getting it higher than where it is probably required people who were like "yeah i hear good things about this, maybe i should check it out", I can't imagine them being too keen on spending £55 on it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Am I not allowed to have that opinion? It's the same reason I preorder all the Yakuza games, I want Sega to know that there's demand for it and to reward them for bringing it over.

If you would read through the thread, you'd see that for many in the EU the physical versions of the game are often a lot cheaper than digital, and that there's not really a lot of localization work done that's typical for EU releases, not even the usual FIGS pass. So those who really want to play despite being disappointed about the lack of localization will probably opt for the cheaper solution, and those who can't read English will wait anyway (in which case, why should they go out and buy something to "show support" when it's not what they're looking for?).

Yes, the EU guys have been shafted many times in the past in terms of release dates. But just telling them to "just take what you get" is asinine. Good localization work does have a significant affect on sales in many areas, and back when I was still working in games we'd often do financial studies to see what other languages beyond FIGS we could localize that make economical sense.

Thud

Am I not allowed to have that opinion? It's the same reason I preorder all the Yakuza games, I want Sega to know that there's demand for it and to reward them for bringing it over.

Do you clap after the plane lands?

Trace

Banned
If you would read through the thread, you'd see that for many in the EU the physical versions of the game are often a lot cheaper than digital, and that there's not really a lot of localization work done that's typical for EU releases, not even the usual FIGS pass. So those who really want to play despite being disappointed about the lack of localization will probably opt for the cheaper solution, and those who can't read English will wait anyway (in which case, why should they go out and buy something to "show support" when it's not what they're looking for?).

I didn't realize that, that would explain the lower digital sales. Thanks for informing me.

I'm pretty sure I saw most of those other games in the EU chart in the huge Easter Sale they did - lots of them were super cheap
On the other hand, Persona 5 costs £55 :|

I didn't realise they hadn't localised it in other languages, I assumed there'd at least be FIGS text options. That sucks

Still it looks to be a fantastic game, glad it's doing so well

matmanx1

I know this is a thread for the PS4 version but I am betting that the game topped the download charts for the PS3 as well. I know that's the version I went with just because the price was so good and it's nice not to have to handle discs over the course of a long game. Either way, congrats Atlus and SEGA.

I know this is a thread for the PS4 version but I am betting that the game topped the download charts for the PS3 as well. I know that's the version I went with just because the price was so good and it's nice not to have to handle discs over the course of a long game. Either way, congrats Atlus and SEGA.

In the US it was #3 on PS3. Still an excellent showing all around.

1 Grand Theft Auto V
2 The King of Fighters XIII
3 Persona 5
4 Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition
5 The Last Of Us
6 Pro Evolution Soccer 2017
7 Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
8 Devil May Cry HD Collection
9 Fight Night Champion
10 Need for Speed Rivals: Complete Edition
11 EA SPORTS FIFA 17
12 Need for Speed Most Wanted
13 MLB The Show 16
14 Okami HD
15 LittleBigPlanet 3
16 Resident Evil 4
17 Prince Of Persia Classic Trilogy HD
18 NBA JAM: On Fire Edition
19 Sonic Adventure
20 Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/05/05/playstation-store-aprils-top-downloads/

EU PSN chart spot is hurt by the insanely expensive price. The EU list is dominated by games that were discounted. Even GTAV is a re-entry because it had a sale recently, and it was off the top 20 when it was at full price.

They really need to do something about that €69.99 price point that big third party publishers insist on charging. Only first-party Sony games and very few third-party ones (like Nioh) are priced properly at €59.99.

Slaythe

For the record, the EU version did not have any translation for the big 5 EU languages.

Only english.

So you can say what you want but for the casual players that are not fluent in english, this is kind of a deal breaker considering how much dialogue this had.

Bronetta

EU PSN chart spot is hurt by the insanely expensive price. The EU list is dominated by games that were discounted. Even GTAV is a re-entry because it had a sale recently, and it was off the top 20 when it was at full price.

They really need to do something about that €69.99 price point that big third party publishers insist on charging. Only first-party Sony games and very few third-party ones (like Nioh) are priced properly at €59.99.

I was gonna say you guys are getting hella ripped off but it looks like the Euro and USD are close to parity now but still, 70euros is way too much.

Top Bottom