• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2015 : 1080P 60 FPS on PS4 - 720P 60 FPS on X1

Thats pretty rude to the devs don't you think?

It wasn't intended to be. My point is that most AAA games will go for parity. This doesn't mean that they are intentionally gimping one system, but putting the extra effort to make sure everyone is happy.

PES is a soccer game that's not relevant when compared to FIFA, that's what I meant.

MUnited83

For you.
Playing the demo like everyone else.

So we should only compare games by the same devs and on the same engine?

Are you new here? There really is no excuse for 720p this gen.

Yeah, talk more about "excuses" and how much you know about game development.

If they had the budget and possibility to make it higher than 720p, they would. Stop with this "excuses" bullshit.

Audible

Banned
interesting. Maybe it's the esRAM that's giving them issues.

Is the problem here that it runs the same as the PS3 version? IIRC, I've read threads where people "didn't care about 1080p" as long as the frame rate was locked and similar statements.

Yeah, because FIFA 15 is made in the exact same engine and by the same devs as PES 2015!

And?

One game looks and performs better than the direct competition.

How come other games apparently offer a clear platform choice when the resolution is higher, and yet this is irrelevant now even though FIFA 15 is superior on both counts?

I don't give a shit who has developed the game, and on what engine. When both cost £40, performance and visual impressions are a huge factor. And to say they aren't makes the whole PS4 vs Xbox One argument null and void.

I knew it

I asked in the pea 2015 thread.

The Xbox one version looks like it is running on xbox 360.

PS4 looked so much better and it is most noticeable when the goalkeeper hits the ball.

One looks fuzzy and the other very very clear.

Yet xbox one show 1080p on demo?

I've always said the gap between the 2 systems is the same as PS2 to Xbox (or PS2 to Gamecube). I still stand by it.

The gap was far larger during that generation when comparing the Xbox to PlayStation 2. The Xbox was at least 100% more powerful then the PlayStation 2 when comparing raw specs.

For some reason the Fox Engine has trouble with resolution on Xbox One. I see no reason why this game isn't between 900p to 1080p. Just seems to not be that well optimized for Xbox One.

MUnited83

For you.
And?

How come other games apparently offer a clear platform choice when the resolution is higher, and yet this is irrelevant now even though FIFA 15 is superior on both counts?

I don't give a shit who has developed the game, and on what engine. When both cost £40, performance and visual impressions are a huge factor. And to say they aren't makes the whole PS4 vs Xbox One argument null and void.

That would make sense, once again, if they were the same game. But they aren't. Also lol at "looking better"

Kezen

Banned
It wasn't intended to be. My point is that most AAA games will go for parity. This doesn't mean that they are intentionally gimping one system, but putting the extra effort to make sure everyone is happy.

I don't think so. Multiplatform developpers have not taken the parity path right now with Xbox One trailing behind its PS4 counterpart in pretty much every respects.
Why would they suddenly do that ?

On the contrary I expect the difference to widen over time, as the Xbox One's hardware is simply incapable of matching the PS4. Better effects, higher resolution and better framerate on PS4 are what I expect from multiplats.

Xando

And?

Have you played both?

PES demo looks a lot better than Fifa on PS4 ( in my opinion ).

Duxxy3

You should have told that Microsoft when they designed the XB1.

Sorry, but there's no excuse for any game to be 720p with this hardware. It was almost forgivable at launch with a bad SDK, but certainly not a year later, after multiple SDK upgrades and kinect removal.

It looks better and runs better. Why should the consumer care about the engine and devs?

This is why PES is dying a slow painful death.

Isn't PES still a pretty decent seller in mainland Europe?

It's obviously not at its once lofty heights, but it's not really dying a slow painful death either. Seems to be pretty stable sales wise.

FIFA ate its lunch though and it's probably unlikely the market will shift back to PES any time soon as EA aren't really making the same mistakes Konami made with PES.

That was a launch title. We already know the gap will be much closer this time around.

Most AAA games are the same. Destiny, NBA, Wolfenstein, Alien Isolation, etc.
Was Ground Zero's a launch title?

And by "most" you mean cherry picking titles and ignoring other AAA titles that have different resolutions? Like Ground Zero, Tomb Raider, and Watch Dogs?

That would make sense, once again, if they were the same game. But they aren't.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Would you be using the 'not the same developer/engine' excuse if the PS4 version was 720p?

Have you played both?

PES demo looks a lot better than Fifa on PS4 ( in my opinion ).

Played the demo briefly on PS4, thought the lighting and overall presentation was very muted.

Sorry, but there's no excuse for any game to be 720p with this hardware. It was almost forgivable at launch with a bad SDK, but certainly not a year later, after multiple SDK upgrades and kinect removal.

How about it not being powerful enough to run the game at 1080p without significant other issues? If that's the case than why is Sunset Overdrive 900p?

Since there hasn't been a Japanese developed PS4/XBO multiplat yet
or just PS4 :(
excluding the MGS demo, it will be interesting to see the future differences if Micosoft don't help the Japanese companies. The Evil Within is the first one coming, and apparently from the EGX impressions it has FPS issues, so that will be interesting.

Yeah. I cant imagine the Japanese tools are all that great from the MS side from a translation POV. Also there dev outreach wouldn't be as good as the western side for obvious reasons. I am sure that is totally playing a part.

Anyway I am curious how the whole resolution war thing will play out this holiday.

EA sports games have shown that EA doesn't mind gimping the PS4 to hilarious lengths in order to get parity with XB1 so I am interested in seeing if that spreads to other EA games.

MS also has its go marketing hands on a lot more games this year then last and the resolution stuff did give them a black eye last year so I want to see how they try and fix that.

I just bet we see a lot more 900p res parity on both systems from the big games this year.

yuraya

A 720p sports game on a new gaming console in 2014 is just pathetic. Sports games aren't demanding games. They are just an empty field simulator with a bunch of props chasing a ball. A cheap laptop with intel graphics can probably run this at 720p.

And by "most" you mean cherry picking titles and ignoring other AAA titles that have different resolutions? Like Ground Zero's, Tomb Raider, EA UFC, and Watch Dogs?

If I recall, UFC and Watch Dogs were pretty bad ports on both systems. And Tomb Raider was a port of a game released a few years back. So those are not the best examples.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

And by "most" you mean cherry picking titles and ignoring other AAA titles that have different resolutions? Like Ground Zero, Tomb Raider, and Watch Dogs?

Tomb Raider is 1080p on both but runs at 30fps on the XB1.

Conduit

Banned
Didn't take long. Guess where? :-D

iBjQDmN.jpg

Tagg9

If I recall, UFC and Watch Dogs were pretty bad ports on both systems. And Tomb Raider was a port of a game released a few years back. So those are not the best examples.

Honestly, I think a ton of optimization work went into Watch_Dogs considering they pushed it back six months (although it will be interesting to see how GTA V compares graphically). And Crystal D worked on the Tomb Raider port for a year supposedly.

Duxxy3

How about it not being powerful enough to run the game at 1080p without significant other issues? If that's the case than why is Sunset Overdrive 900p?

900p is about what I would expect with this hardware. Anything less than that is just not giving a shit. Anything more than and developers are probably spending more time optimizing the XB1 version than the PS4 version.

Tomb Raider is 1080p on Xbox One. Dynamic Resolution is only enabled during cut scenes which can drop to 900p with close ups of Laura (according to Digital Foundry, could be a result of TressFX). But during gameplay it maintains native 1080p.

Kezen

Banned

I think they are. Port or not port we have one system putting the other one to shame.

fwj

Banned
Oh all the talk about the graphics. The gameplay is alot better in PES 15 then FIFA 15, but i guess that doesn`t matter. It`s all about the glitter nowadays.

Xando

900p is about what I would expect with this hardware. Anything less than that is just not giving a shit. Anything more than and developers are probably spending more time optimizing the XB1 version than the PS4 version.

As someone working in IT, everytime i read shit like this a part of me dies.

MUnited83

For you.
Would you be using the 'not the same developer/engine' excuse if the PS4 version was 720p?
Sure, why the fuck wouldn't I?

Do you guys really think devs make the game run at a lower resolution on purpose? If 720p is the better that they could achieve then that's the better that they could achieve within their budget and time limitations, they're are not limiting resolution "just cause".

Can someone please translate this filth for me?

Newsflash bro: game development is not a magical wonderland where you can work and produce without any kind of restrictions or limitations or budget.

You also can't make a game magically run on a calculator at 220 fps and 3600p just because you want to. That's not how it works, and the "no excuses" statement is idiotic at best.

Top Bottom