• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES series - "The Return of the King"

Gibbo

So PES2015 is set to be revealed in the next day or so. For fans of the series, was there any time during the last 3 years when you genuinely believed that the King would have made its return?

After playing Fifa for the last 3 years, i remember the hype for PES 2014 being through the roof- with the introduction of the Fox engine and unprecedented gameplay and what not. I ended but buying it but it turned out to be shit though.

Whats the general feeling this year? Im hearing the usual buzz words like 'improved graphics', 'revamped engine'. Is this the year?

Matush

PES 3/4 are still the best football games ever made. I tried and played 2014 (thanks PS+) and I thought it wasn't that good. I have 0 hype for it truth to be told. FIFA where is at.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
PES 2013 is the best football game I have played since the PES PS2 era so I really hope this year's one is more like that than 2014.

Since PES 2014 didn't release on PS4 I got Fifa for the first time since Fifa '95, I quite liked it but I can't wait to get back into PES. For the love of god please be good!

PES cycle reminds me of the Liverpool cycle.

Hype, claims that the king is back, crushing reality, "next year will be our year"

Even us Liverpool fans don't believe that anymore :(

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The sales will say otherwise.

Even when PES was at it's highest point it was still comfortably outsold by Fifa just because of the license. Sales don't really indicate which is the better series

Assault

Even when PES was at it's highest point it was still comfortably outsold by Fifa just because of the license. Sales don't really indicate which is the better series

Yeah, PES was so much better than FIFA on PS2 it wasn't even funny. Man, I have some very fond memories of grinding away at Master League. PES was my go-to-game, whenever I had finished playing everything else. I would always finish at least 10 seasons of Master League every year, and never get bored.

sohois

I did believe after playing the demo for 2014 at gamescom, which was really great. The gameplay was still really good in the full game but the rest of it was completely unfinished sadly. Still, for 2015 all they have to do is just add in the missing features to have a fantastic game, so it leaves me with a lot of hope.

Also, who are all you posters and why don't you post in the football thread?

Dredd97

they wont be king while teams like North London and West London is in there

Blame EA & The Prem League, EA for offering obscene amounts of cash for exclusivity and The Prem league for saying yes....
/p :)

It's a shitty situation as I'd love to see officially licences UK leagues in PES and not having to rely on modders all the time...

Markitron

I did believe after playing the demo for 2014 at gamescom, which was really great. The gameplay was still really good in the full game but the rest of it was completely unfinished sadly. Still, for 2015 all they have to do is just add in the missing features to have a fantastic game, so it leaves me with a lot of hope.

Also, who are all you posters and why don't you post in the football thread?

That thread is pretty caustic, if you think console wars are bad football tribalism is 10x worse.

PES hasn't been the king since PES5.

Last generation was a complete right off. Hasn't been a good PES in like 8 years

PES 2013 was fantastic

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I tend to try to play both PES and FIFA ever since FIFA '10 on the PS3. Whichever one feels most comfortable then I tend to stick with it throughout career mode. If anything I've comfortably made the switch between console version exclusivity to complete PC mode. With PES it's pretty much a given that the PC version will be the best due to custom option data for Master League.

I remember the times when FIFA was considered to be a complete joke compared to PES.

What happened?

EA Vancouver grew balls and demanded greatness from themselves and the EA hierarchy in FIFA '10. FIFA '96 had been the last great FIFA title until it all turned to shit.

PES6 on PS2 is one of the all time greatest sports and video games. It boggles my mind just how good a game it was and how mediocre most of PES games afterwards were.

PES6 was so crazy good and influential, I don't think I played a sports game remotely as good ever since. 10/10 game if I ever saw one and easily one of the best games on an already ridiculously high quality PS2 library.

Gibbo

Im pretty sure the first installment on the last gen consoles is when things started to turn to shit. I remember playing winning eleven 07 /08 on the 360 and saying to myself that this didnt feel like the PES/WE during the ps2 era

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
PES6 on PS2 is one of the all time greatest sports and video games. It boggles my mind just how good a game it was and how mediocre most of PES games afterwards were.

PES6 was so crazy good and influential, I don't think I played a sports game remotely as good ever since. 10/10 game if I ever saw one and easily one of the best games on an already ridiculously high quality PS2 library.

I never tried PES6 because I had already grabbed Winning Eleven 10 with Zico's fat face on it. But I can readily agree that it was one of the hallmarks in terms of football games ever made. It belongs up there on the top tier list of "football games that were astounding" because I believe I played WE10 for at least 2-3 full years before I gave it up. One of the best games crafted by Konami in their element.

I believe this was also the last time they numbered it in successive order before switching over to the annual year tag. Maybe it's a sign.

Porcile

I played 14 for a bit and the gameplay is still good. However, the game was clearly unfinished as the framerate was atrocious outside of the actual on-pitch gameplay.

Last PES I bought was 2009 I think for Wii to play with a mate online.

Had one for PS3 as well.

To be honest, Ive just fallen out of love with football games completely.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They just get worse and worse, Konami simply are not capable of making a quality mdoern sports game. The core gameplay is not terrible (although there are many flaws) but on a technical level they are years behind FIFA. Add the lack of licensing and it just makes the series irrelevant. It will be dead soon, the gap between PES and FIFA gets wider every year.

The only really good PES games in the last 7 or 8 years were the Wii versions.

Steroyd

At first I hated PES 2014, but I learned to love it, shame it happened around the time they offered it on PS+ goddamnit. >_<

PES cycle reminds me of the Liverpool cycle.

Hype, claims that the king is back, crushing reality, "next year will be our year"

Pfft you'll see, we'll have our dreams crushed in April instead of November for a 2nd season in a row, breaking the cycle so nuuuuh. :p

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, PES was so much better than FIFA on PS2 it wasn't even funny. Man, I have some very fond memories of grinding away at Master League. PES was my go-to-game, whenever I had finished playing everything else. I would always finish at least 10 seasons of Master League every year, and never get bored.
The difference between ISS/PES to FIFA on PS1 was far more crazy. I remember by best friend and me doing all nighters in PES2 back in the days. Good times, great game.

MxBxM

Banned
After playing the FIFA version using the ignite engine on X1 and PS4 and trying the horrendous PES using the Fox engine, I am not sure.

The way it has been, by the time they "catch up" FIFA will have raised the bar again.

NateDog

The king is dead and FIFA is only better by default.

Don't think it could be said any better than this. PES has been rubbish for the past number of years (I thought 2011 wasn't horrible actually, but still unbelievably flawed and Konami didn't follow up on it). 2014 was just a disaster. Aren't Konami moving PES' development to the UK now too? I don't really think things are going to change. FIFA doesn't even need to make any effort to improve any more and hasn't needed to since FIFA 09 or so, the newer games are still more or less the same.

petran79

Banned

there are mods for PS3 and PC to amend for that.
No excuse this time!

jonnyp

Can't stand FIFA

PES has a lot of problems but it's a whole lot better of a football game than the shower of polished shit that is FIFA.... IMVHO of course.

Syntsui

Man.... good times when Winning Eleven was actually good. Fifa is getting stagnant since 12... things may change this generation but you never know.

Irrational nostalgia.

Go ask anyone who hasn't played PES 5/6 a decade ago and let them it for the first time and compare it to 2012-2014 and they'll see a big improvement in the later series. Animation, controls, AI specifically.

It was a rough transition to the previous gen but recently their output is top notch. It's FIFA that's made strides in gameplay while doing even better with their presentation while PES fans can't get over fond memories of their early teens/childhood.

Reminds me a lot of ESPN NFL 2K5 fans.

aTTckr

I wonder though, has anyone gone back played one of the PS2/Xbox era PES games? Does the gameplay still feel great as it did at the time of release? Maybe the current PES aren't that different gameplay wise from those of the glory days, but football games (FIFA in particular) have just evolved beyond what PES offered back in the day and we all have an idolized memory of it. Perhaps the old PES would feel just as bad today as the current ones do.

I've bought every PES game and probably always will as I've never really bonded (for want of a better word) with a FIFA game. I've played every FIFA since 2009 and apart from the online 11v11 clubs (when played properly) its never once given me the feeling PES has.

Lots of people have slated PES over recent years but i can honestly say that once I've gotten used to them I've enjoyed them all. Even PES2010 & 2011 which were below par have given me more exciting 1v1 games than FIFA has done.

Also, despite all its licenses i still feel like PES recreates players much better. Facially there isn't much to choose between them but from the actual gameplay camera I've always thought players looked much more like who they are than in FIFA.

Far too many bullshitters are involved in this series now, either from a developer/pr standpoint or a community aspect. Every year it starts with a little hype then it results in debates over percentage of dev code or ridiculous solutions to fixing animations or frame rates.

"Adjust the brightness and sharpness on your TV, makes the player animations better"

The WENB Blog Forums on PES 2010

Nothing would please me more than to see this series hit it's peak like the PS2-OG Xbox days, EA still hasn't matched those earlier games in terms of gameplay imo.

Gibbo

Irrational nostalgia.

Go ask anyone who hasn't played PES 5/6 a decade ago and let them it for the first time and compare it to 2012-2014 and they'll see a big improvement in the later series. Animation, controls, AI specifically.

It was a rough transition to the previous gen but recently their output is top notch. It's FIFA that's made strides in gameplay while doing even better with their presentation while PES fans can't get over fond memories of their early teens/childhood.

Reminds me a lot of ESPN NFL 2K5 fans.

Yeah that's what I'm wondering as well. I spent hours on PES 3-6, so I'm wondering if the series just stagnated, of if it actually took steps backwards in terms on quality.

I just don't see anything touching FIFA. It might seem cool to hate on the series, but nothing else comes close, and it just keeps getting better and better. The changes with each iteration may not seem significant enough for some people, but they're pretty huge for people that play the games a lot. The little things that tend to get overlooked or dismissed really do make all the difference in the gameplay and overall experience.

TheHall

I loved PES 2008, but i feel that afterwards they tried to copy FIFA too much.

I prefer my sports games a little arcad-ey so i don't have to be a goddamn pundit to be able to score every now and then.

Top Bottom