• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES series - "The Return of the King"

Portugeezer

I am always willing to give PES a chance to prove itself once again, but now I am into FIFA Ultimate Team which PES just won't have, and will probably never have without proper licensing, it's a shame.

LAM09

The same as last year, nobody will care after a week. FIFA UT has seal the deal for EA since nobody cares if the game is broken or unbalanced as long as you get the cards you want.

PES is introducing something similar. I ain't a fan of it, but money does the talking.

Portugeezer

The same as last year, nobody will care after a week. FIFA UT has seal the deal for EA since nobody cares if the game is broken or unbalanced as long as you get the cards you want.

The fact that EA never patched the kick-off goal speaks for itself... but you're right, FUT is like crack.

Alej

Banned
I just don't see anything touching FIFA. It might seem cool to hate on the series, but nothing else comes close, and it just keeps getting better and better. The changes with each iteration may not seem significant enough for some people, but they're pretty huge for people that play the games a lot. The little things that tend to get overlooked or dismissed really do make all the difference in the gameplay and overall experience.

I play the game a lot since FIFA09 and even if it has attempted to revolutionize itself a few times (with tactical defending for example) FIFA is the same game at heart as before. Problem is, the "fabulous" gameplay is totally shit and too much assisted by default (everything plays and feels like if you just had slaves on the field playing for you). It's literally not you that is making thing to happen in this game, you aren't in control like in the old ps2 PESes, they even nerf the game every year in order to avoid to deal with fixing the unbalanced gameplay (broken when we speak about L1+Triangle, headers, ping-pong passing and nearly unlimited pressing). In this area, FIFA WC2010 was the best assisted FIFA ever because instead of nerfing things they did emphasize on making FIFA balanced from the get-go (and fun). That was the last game without tactical defending.

In assisted settings, you really know what will happen in every position, with every move and the diversity in there is just cosmetic and random. You know it's a goal when you are in a particular position, you got it next year they will nerf that by adding a pro shooting sort-of (by adding more randomization when calculating what happens when you shoot). It's exactly what they even say when interviewed. They are doing the same every year, pro something (passing, defending, shooting while the core gameplay remains the same with nerfs everywhere. FIFA14 is just FIFA09 with better animations, graphics and more randomness while taking back elements of gameplay from the player's control.

Do you know what is the use of the power bar in the game with assisted controls? Just here to make the game knows who you are targetting to pass the ball. Too strong when there isn't a player far away in that right angle? Okay that pass will be missed. Too low but man is very far? Shit pass. But what if you just want to make a very strong and close pass? You just can't, game will chose a far away player for you. Game is constantly choosing for you. Even in the control settings descriptions (go look, they aren't hiding anything), you'll find that assisted passing will try to avoid any potential interception by itself, shots will be always on target for you (so you just choose where to shoot in the goal)... And then player will hit or miss his attempt randomly or somehow because of his specs (the game is choosing for you here dude), etc.

So why do I play FIFA? Because first, PES is a shadow of his glorious past but most importantly because I play FIFA in full manual settings. FIFA with full manual settings is the GOAT of football games. It's a totally different game. That's it.

T-0800

I play PES2014 with friends almost daily and think it's better than FIFA. I'm a pretty casual soccer player though so maybe I can't see what's wrong with it.

dhlt25

Pes used to be my go to game for soccer. The last version i really enjoy was 09 on the ps2. So much time spend playing and drinking. I and a lot of fan has been waiting for a good version to jump back in.

Pimpwerx

PES used to be so good, my non gaming best friend in college imported a copy for his brother's PS2. He was a huge soccer fan, and heard it was the best soccer game. That was actually the first time I got to play PES,even though I'd heard of it for years. Those were the days. FIFA is good enough now that PES needs to do a better job on content. PEACE.

stay gold

I gave up hoping for Pro Evo to return to form many years ago.

FIFA has it's poor efforts (like 14) but even they're a shit ton better than PES these days.

sniperpon

The king already has returned in my eyes; I've sunk about 70 hours into the Windows version of PES 2014 Master League, and the way the game models the real flow of matches and the interactions of players is fantastic. I really can't ask too much more from a digital model of real-life football.

The rest of the game could be improved though; the presentation feels too generic, the commentary is poor, and Master League could use some new mechanics. But the awesome in-match modelling is more than enough to get me to overlook those flaws.

BGMNTS

PES6 bruv

Many say PES5, and I see where they're coming from. Some say FIFA 2005. Those people should be tied to a rocket and aimed at the sun

I just cant and never will stand PES. Fifa isn't that good either to be honest. Always wished they went somewhere with Red Card.

alterno69

Banned
If PES was playable online i'd made the jump back a xouple of years ago. The problem is, at 34 i rarely get to play with my friends other than online, so brokn online means no buy from me even if it was the best soccer game ever.

Fifa is good enough and plays great online, plus it has pro clubs wich is fun when you have anough friends to play with.

LAM09

Fifa created another force that PES needs to beat in order to be king, Ultimate Team. That gamemode is selling games and bringing in cash for EA

Why does he slide into animations with his foot?

Firstly, PES have created a mode to compete with UT, and it's called, MyClub.

Secondly, the sliding issue is being worked on.

My fondest memorys with pes we're playing against the ridiculously op inter Milan teams. Good fun beating guys that played with them.

Top Bottom