• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pewdiepie just can't help himself with the N word...the 4th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozigizo

Where are these topics even going and why is PDP a huge thing worth talking about? Holy shit how many times can we stomp over the same turds?

Sometimes I don't even understand these topics anymore other than for every person to come in and say "fuck this dude". It's a shit show.

So, then, why did you bother to post?

kmax

You should all ignore him. Give him no air time or thought. I mean he's going to keep on doing what he does and being an arsehole and you'll all going to keep on being shocked and annoyed.

This guy isn't going to change. Give him no thoughts. He is what he is. At some point, karma will catch him.

Einstein-on-Evil-620x309.png

120v

You think? My opinion would be: If they can ban people for stream sniping outside of the game, they can ban people for using racist slurs in connection to the game while streaming. The 'streaming' part imo is a huge part of this games' success and even daily game experience.

It's in their TOS https://www.pcgamesn.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds/PUBG-rules-of-conduct and apparently they banned people for posts on Twitter: http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/19/playerunknown-bans-top-pubg-streamer-for-twitter-threats-6790266/

So I don't see how it doesn't relate to this.

The fact that it's not happening within the game software as opposed to a chat is a good point though, that is a solid argument.

well stream sniping is still "in game" since you have to be playing to do it

i'm not versed on the legalese but i'm sure it works both ways per the TOS, you can essentially get banned for anything they deem offensive in game. but also you could be, say, an outspoken neo-nazi pedophile, but blue hole couldn't really do anything about that until you start spouting N bombs or whatever through chat

also there's the issue of practicality. if the onus were on devs to police every streamer then streaming wouldn't be a thing

Since PewDiePie lost all of his Mainstream contracts last year due to the fallout from his anti-semetic video, I'm assuming all he has left really is Youtube. If Youtube demonotizes his videos, wouldn't that be the end of PDP? I'm sure his twitch following is decent and he could make a decent salary off of it but no where near the millions he made on youtube

You should all ignore him. Give him no air time or thought. I mean he's going to keep on doing what he does and being an arsehole and you'll all going to keep on being shocked and annoyed.

This guy isn't going to change. Give him no thoughts. He is what he is. At some point, karma will catch him.

PDP is influential and well-known so it's not possible to ignore him and he'll go away and lose his influence because there's many that will support his attitude regardless, he's not some random on a forum or something that you can ignore.

I get what you mean but unfortunately it doesn't work out with such highly influential people.

Hesemonni

Banned
Pewdiepie went from being a much hated figure on most message boards to a well liked, important figure who must be protected, only after it was revealed that he was racist.

I believe someone said this in the previous thread, but it's pretty accurate.
Which message boards are speaking of?

petran79

Banned
But, he´s so young and doens´t know what it means. I mean, he´s from europe and we don´t have racism. As a matter of fact, there are no black people in europe so the word can´t even be racist. We just yell it at each other for fun. It has no bad meaning here. And anyway, rappers use it so we can too.

FUCK pewdiepie.

There are a lot of black immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean too. In some countries they are better off, but poverty and inequality is very common
People of his generation experienced that immigration entrance to their country from a young age,so he should have learned to accept it.

When I lived in Germany our elementary school was housed on the same premise with an immigrant shelter.

Ploid 3.0

Since PewDiePie lost all of his Mainstream contracts last year due to the fallout from his anti-semetic video, I'm assuming all he has left really is Youtube. If Youtube demonotizes his videos, wouldn't that be the end of PDP? I'm sure his twitch following is decent and he could make a decent salary off of it but no where near the millions he made on youtube

Twitch wouldn't put up with his racial crap. Maybe they'll give him temp banns for a bit but I think they'd get rid of him a lot faster than it's taking Youtube to even blow in his direction.

Real Hero

sensible people don't rely on a made up universal force, why have any laws??? karma will get the murderers!

Ozigizo

Twitch wouldn't put up with his racial crap. Maybe they'll give him temp banns for a bit but I think they'd get rid of him a lot faster than it's taking Youtube to even blow in his direction.

Nah, Twitch has flexible rules when it comes to bigger streamers. Any of Sodapoppin's friends are all but immune to permabans.

depths20XX

The ๖ۜBronx;249079998 said:
You're moaning about the thread and then choosing to reply to the lowest hanging fruit. If you want a discussion then perhaps respond to those replies seeking it.

I didn't mean to ignore your reply before if that's what you're referring to. There no longer is a discussion to be had on this topic imo after all the closed threads in OT. It's tired at this point imo. Circular disscussions all over the place.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
well stream sniping is still "in game" since you have to be playing to do it

i'm not versed the legalese but i'm sure it works both ways per the TOS, you can essentially get banned for anything they deem offensive in game. but also you could be, say, an outspoken neo-nazi pedophile, but blue hole couldn't really do anything about that until you start spouting N bombs or whatever while playing

also there's the issue of practicality. if the onus were on devs to police every streamer then streaming wouldn't be a thing

I guess you're right in that they don't have to take tweets, streams or other sources outside of the game into account. It's just that they did, on different occasions, when it comes to other stuff. But of course then one might argue that they had to check within the game environment to confirm these bans, so my argument is a lot of guesswork in the end.

I dunno man. Even if they technically can't 'do' anything about it, they could release a statement about how pdp should go fuck himself, in nicer words. How they don't support racism and will follow up on reports. They do surely know it's a huge topic at the moment, and yet they chose to ignore it, again, quite contrary to most other topics like stream sniping or hate speech that came up before. To me it just feels like they're perfectly happy with it as soon as it's someone who rakes in their money.

The practicality point is also a good point, but I guess one can start with setting an example when something's reported a lot (and been appearing in multiple news outlets and websites).

Seventy70

I didn't mean to ignore your reply before if that's what you're referring to. There no longer is a discussion to be had on this topic imo after all the closed threads in OT. It's tired at this point imo. Circular disscussions all over the place.

I hate seeing this kind of stuff on the front page as well, but it's important to direct your resentment to the correct place. We have these threads because some people can't differentiate between right and wrong in 2017.

If you can't be bothered to discuss the topic of a discussion topic, but felt a need to come in and moan about it regardless, it might be best to just ignore it next time.

P1: "Why do we need to discuss this?"
P2: "*gives reasons*"
P1: "I don't want to discuss this!"

hbkdx12

It's a topic that impacts the largest video platform on the planet, (potentially but ultimately not really) impacts everyone who who uses the platform and goes over the terrible biases in our society both historically and as of today.

There's plenty of discussion to be had.

depths20XX

The ๖ۜBronx;249080238 said:
If you can't be bothered to discuss the topic of a discussion topic, but felt a need to come in and moan about it regardless, it might be best to just ignore it next time.

Ok, well said, and you're right. I should have just ignored this topic.

Willenium

so, can we discuss the topic of racism in "public gaming" or are we going to keep posting memes about how it doesn't get talked about?

DrFurbs

sensible people don't rely on a made up universal force, why have any laws??? karma will get the murderers!

Maybe you should keep on whining about it on this forum then, that will teach him 🙄

Or you could ignore his childish nonsense and get on with your life and discuss the positive things about gaming?

Nanashrew

Banned
Maybe you should keep on whining about it on this forum then, that will teach him ��

Or you could ignore his childish nonsense and get on with your life and discuss the positive things about gaming?

So did you even see my post on how he's a liability and emboldens horrible people? We ignore him, he's still emboldening horrible people. Goodbye positive things about gaming!

hbkdx12

So last thread people were like "but both sides...." and "he's not racist, he's just dumb"

Now people wanna be all 'don't talk about it, don't give him attention just ignore it' on some really misguided live and let live type of shit

People are fucking trippin. Smdh

Sadist

Ugh.

I never understood the appeal of Pewdiepie to begin with, I mean, if I want to see a screaming manchild I'd just go out, enough kids there. But just a question, because I never watched his stuff at all, did he always throw out slurs and racist jokes from the beginning or is it something he started last year? I know he lost some sponsorship deals, but I can't help but think that he's pulling this nonsense to stay (in his mind, I suppose) relevant and rolling in the money. He knows damn well there are enough dumb kids who'd pay him to say hurtful shit like this. I can't understand why people want to hear it from him, but hey, people are weird.

But maybe it's a good thing, not understanding why people would say hurtful, racist shit to each other.

Willenium

What do you have to say?

well, my point of view is skewed because I don't think "Let's play" videos should be monetized at all, but here's my opinion:

This dude is clearly watched and followed by a lot of people. I've never followed him and have only become aware of him because of his controversial statements.

I don't know how he gained such a loyal fanbase but I know a bunch of young and/or impressionable minds watch his videos. Unfortunately, since his fanbase is so large at this point, his viewpoints, I feel, reflect poorly on video gaming culture as a whole.

Long story short, I am bummed that the worst parts of video gaming culture get more publicized than the good ones and I think it would be cool to talk about ways to fix that. I don't know where to start but I hope that someone else does.

If that happens, I'm sure the alt-right assholes are happy enough to fund a Patreon. Can't have your favorite millionaire go broke of course.

hbkdx12

well, my point of view is skewed because I don't think "Let's play" videos should be monetized at all, but here's my opinion:

This dude is clearly watched and followed by a lot of people. I've never followed him and have only become aware of him because of his controversial statements.

I don't know how he gained such a loyal fanbase but I know a bunch of young and/or impressionable minds watch his videos. Unfortunately, since his fanbase is so large at this point, his viewpoints, I feel, reflect poorly on video gaming culture as a whole.

Long story short, I am bummed that the worst parts of video gaming culture get more publicized than the good ones and I think it would be cool to talk about ways to fix that. I don't know where to start but I hope that someone else does.

I feel like this is how a large part of the internet operates. Trolling, negativity and the like just run rampant. The problem is that these things don't get policed properly when they first happen and then they balloon way out of control. Look at Amazon and IMDB, they carpetbombed all their forums because it became too toxic apparently and there was nothing they could do about it. Similar thing with r/thedonald or whatever it is on reddit. Shit got so far out of hand that mods were legitimately afraid to shut it down because there were concerns that these people would then brigade their way into other subreddits.

Youtube finds themselves in a very similar position where either they continue to do nothing and remain complicit or whatever they do has to be of enough magnitude to set an example going forward. They can't just slap him on the wrist and issue a warning or some nonsense like that.

Here's the other side of it though, all the PDP defenders and content creators would immediately come out and start hiding behind the first amendment screaming about "muh freedom of speech!"

This won't work. He has millions of subscribers, so ignoring him is worthless when his reach is so vast. There needs to be outrage directed at Google and their advertisers for profiting from this scumbag.

There needs to be a petition to have some kind of censure to his output on YouTube. I would sign it, as would thousands more.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Whoever this person is he seems to get more attention on here than most games
He's the most subscribed YouTuber in history and therefore is secretly one of the biggest celebrities on the planet right now. So are you really surprised?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think I might be a bit more out of touch than I realized..
I totally get it, because YT celebrity is this hidden thing beneath the surface of our individual bubbles.

But meanwhile this is many millions of peoples' pop culture.

Cragor

Neo Member
This is a very sad thing, not because of him, i mean, the world its full of assholes, one more is no surprise, but because he is the rolemodel of many young people and its normalicing this kind of behaviour.

It also shows one of the biggest problems of this era and the new "internet idols", , wich is the lack of any and all control mechanisms. With other cases, like singers, sports stars, etc, we had our share of moroms doing/saying stupid things, and just like with tihis guy, their fans would allow and even praise anything. However, there was always some sort of mechanism to limit that behaviour. Be it their company, the organization they depend upon, whatever. But here what we see is a complete lack of control by youtube and most related mediums.

This is terrible in many ways, because it puts a huge power in the hands of someone who, just like this guy,, could turn out to be ra really bad influence for its millions of fans. A platform like youtube cant be silent with this kind of thing and expecting youtubers to "police thenselves" its just silly.

kingkenny76

This cracka.
I don't like pewdiepie and he is clearly a racist (I can't understand why anybody still gives him attention TBH) but "cracka" is also a racist and and derogatory term used against white people. You can't call a person racist by using a racist term yourself this is the height of hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom