• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie reached 10 Billion YouTube views

Fully deserved, he puts a ton of effort in, communicates with his fans all the time and has supported many indie titles over the years.

Plus his output is insane, he has videos going up almost daily.

Legit don't think it's deserved, there are hundreds of other YouTube channels that put a lot more effort into their videos than this guy and they have a fraction of the same popularity.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Jesus fucking Christ, can you scroll back to the original post I quoted? That is not enough money to fuck someone up, it's not like he got 9 million dollars overnight, it was a gradual thing. Not like the NFL players who were on the poverty one year, and on a multi-million year contract the next, hence I'm not comparing him to perceived professions that earn a lot of money.

He made that in a year. You think he's just done now? He'll probably make another 10 million in 2015.

He's 25 and a multimillionaire, you bet your ass that's enough money to fuck someone up if you let it get out of hand. What, are only billionaires allowed to do that, you don't have to be a rock/pop superstar to be able to let it all come crashing down. Ask Notch.

Jesus fucking Christ, can you scroll back to the original post I quoted? That is not enough money to fuck someone up, it's not like he got 9 million dollars overnight, it was a gradual thing. Not like the NFL players who were on the poverty one year, and on a multi-million year contract the next, hence I'm not comparing him to perceived professions that earn a lot of money.

I'm clearly aware how much they are making, just disagree with your gauge of wealth. Anyone can buy houses and 'lamborghinis - you do know there are multiple classes of lamboghinis right'. You can be worth millions on paper but not have a penny in your bank account.

I mean, 7.4 million in one year is gigantic by any reasonable standards. And ASIDE from PRO Athletes, NOBODY goes from average to millions in a year. That's a ludicrous criteria. You think movie stars get milion dollar roles right off the bat? Of course they don't, they start in small roles, work their way up to bigger roles in small movies, and after years they get big enough to be getting top hollywood roles

He made that in a year. You think he's just done now? He'll probably make another 10 million in 2015.

He's 25 and a multimillionaire, you bet your ass that's enough money to fuck someone up if you let it get out of hand. What, are only billionaires allowed to do that, you don't have to be a rock/pop superstar to be able to let it all come crashing down. Ask Notch.

Isn't Notch a Billionaire? lol

dan2026

I dont understand his appeal. At all.

I like quite a lot of youtube stuff, but what I've seen of his videos seem awful.

Afraid i dont get it.

I'm clearly aware how much they are making, just disagree with your gauge of wealth. Anyone can buy houses and 'lamborghinis - you do know there are multiple classes of lamboghinis right'. You can be worth millions on paper but not have a penny in your bank account.
It really bothers you that he's as successful as he is doesn't it haha

Good for him, always like to see entrepreneurs do well

Legit don't think it's deserved, there are hundreds of other YouTube channels that put a lot more effort into their videos than this guy and they have a fraction of the same popularity.

I've never watched his videos, but that's a fairly meaningless statement. In any industry or position, the hardest working aren't necessarily going to come out on top. Stuff like talent, natural charisma, and just plain old luck are important in anything. Hard work only really helps seperate you from the people who also have the same other advantages, or who are already close. It's important, but it's never enough in and of itself

pringles

I don't know what it is about swedes being able to get rich through the most stupid ways possible. Crazy Frog was also created by a swede I believe. And furniture that you have to construct yourself.

I'd rather stab my eyes and ears with a rusty nail than suffer through 30 seconds of any of his videos, but his success goes to show that you don't have to appeal to everyone. Find your audience (idiots/children in his case) and you can be extremely succesful despite no one outside of that audience understanding why.

diamount

Banned

Yes, I know that is still a lot of money, but another reason I mentioned the music/movie industry is there is a massive drug culture behind the scenes, not so much with youtube.

eFKac

I don't really watch his videos, not a fan on his style, but good for him.

I liked his stance and opinion on some issues regarding youtube and gaming so kudos.

RMI

Banned
He is. Also apparently depressed because of it.

he's not the only one who's depressed about his billions of dollars.

Hopefully these guys do something worthwhile or philanthropic with the money they make instead of pissing it all away on ridiculous rich person lifestyle stuff.

I've never watched his videos, but that's a fairly meaningless statement. In any industry or position, the hardest working aren't necessarily going to come out on top. Stuff like talent, natural charisma, and just plain old luck are important in anything. Hard work only really helps seperate you from the people who also have the same other advantages, or who are already close. It's important, but it's never enough in and of itself

How is it meaningless? I said I think he doesn't deserve his success. When I say others deserve it I mean not only hard work but talent and charisma as well. What this guy does is nothing special at all.

Aces&Eights

Just want to chime in the "not hard work" bit. That is totally subjective. I work in an office and do lots of archiving, indexing, customer service and recording. I work my ass off every day and I feel that I do a lot of hard work. Some guy who digs ditches all day in 105 degrees might say, "Lol, Aces doesn't do hard work I do hard work!"

We both do different jobs, therefore it's different work. Doesn't mean either one of us works harder than the other. I have no idea how involved PDP is in the production side of his site but filming, editing and all that can be a lot of work. If you are putting 50-60 hours a week into your job, you "do a lot of hard work" in my book.

How is it meaningless? I said I think he doesn't deserve his success. When I say others deserve it I mean not only hard work but talent and charisma as well. What this guy does is nothing special at all.

I mean maybe, but clearly the market has judged otherwise. I think people get too caught up in their own viewpoints and don't realize that other people see things differently. The people you see as charismatic may only be that way to you and a select few others. Clearly a lot of people love and enjoy his work, and that in itself has value. I get that it's super frustrating when people or things you don't like get more popular than the stuff you do, I really do. But as I've gotten older, I've come to realize that even if I think something is trash by my own standards, if it's really making a lot of people happy, it does still hold value

What kind of world is diamount living in where 7 million in a year "isn't that much money?"

This exact point was brought up in a video PDP made a couple months back (there was also a thread on it). His response was (from the video itself):
PewDiePie said:
"It really doesn't matter what you think. Life is not fair. This is how it is. If you think someone else is funnier, go refresh their videos over and over because...that's how we get paid."
Putting in a lot of effort doesn't mean shit if you have no personality or aren't entertaining.

Seriously, watch the video. It's great.

Never watched his videos, but good for him.

However, what I still don't get is why everyone is so big into watching gaming streams in general.
Time's changing and I guess it's cool that everyone can try to become a youtube personality, but I don't see the appeal of watching someone's reactions to trailers, games etc.
Anything that I can experience myself negates the need to have someone else do it for me.

/get off my lawn etc.

Stimpack

I don't understand it, but good for him. I mean, Justin Beiber was the top artist on YouTube for a long time, wasn't he? I mean, that tells you all you need to know.

diamount

Banned
What kind of world is diamount living in where 7 million in a year "isn't that much money?"

I did not say it was a lot of money, I said it's not THAT much money comparable to other entertainment industries., and it isn't. It's like comparing someone who earns 20k a year to someone on 200k a year.

I don't understand it, but good for him. I mean, Justin Beiber was the top artist on YouTube for a long time, wasn't he? I mean, that tells you all you need to know.

Not really. I didn't like Justin Beiber, and when I was younger I used to make fun of him. But honestly, what makes your or my opinion more valid than the millions who liked him? I think he was awful, but that's just one opinion in a sea of many. I think it's really elitist to suggest that the masses are wrong just because they disagree with your opinion. Which isn't to say an unpopular opinion is wrong either. All opinions have their merit, and they all come from different places and perspectives. None of them are any better than any other

Never watched his videos, but good for him.

However, what I still don't get is why everyone is so big into watching gaming streams in general.
Time's changing and I guess it's cool that everyone can try to become a youtube personality, but I don't see the appeal of watching someone's reactions to trailers, games etc.
Anything that I can experience myself negates the need to have someone else do it for me.

/get off my lawn etc.

Simple: Youtube/Twitch is television for the new generation. People make content, people watch it, then the $$$ rolls in. "Why watch _____ when I can do it/experience it myself" is poor logic since you can apply it to anything on television currently. Bear in mind, it's totally fine if you don't like it, I'm not trying to say otherwise.

Kriken

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of a guy who can play video games all day and make a good living off it

Village

Putting in a lot of effort doesn't mean shit if you have no personality or aren't entertaining.

And even then, I think the SBF are some of the funniest folks on the net, but they aren't getting as many views as the grumps or TB.There are a lot of factors that play into popularity, what you are into, age, looks, demographic.

I like that he was so blunt about it, I respect the shit out of that

Dude is constantly doing charity events and has raised over a million dollars for charity. Can't possibly hate on that, regardless of what I think of his output. Wish him the best.

P.S. The posts that amount to "Get a real job" are always hilarious for their saltiness.

I mean maybe, but clearly the market has judged otherwise. I think people get too caught up in their own viewpoints and don't realize that other people see things differently. The people you see as charismatic may only be that way to you and a select few others. Clearly a lot of people love and enjoy his work, and that in itself has value. I get that it's super frustrating when people or things you don't like get more popular than the stuff you do, I really do. But as I've gotten older, I've come to realize that even if I think something is trash by my own standards, if it's really making a lot of people happy, it does still hold value

I'm not frustrated or anything of the sorts, this is just mild interest. I just don't think he deserves the success that's it.

MrBigBoy

Wow that's amazing.

I only really liked him when he played horror games the most back in the day
ugh that made me feel old
. Now I only like his 5 Weird stuff Online and Photoshop series of videos.

Even my dad likes him sometimes lol

And with only 21 subscribers too!

But yeah, that shit is nuts. I'll totally take a fraction of that if I get a mention in his upcoming shoutout contest (lol).

Sami+

He seemed like a nice guy on Ear Biscuits - I don't have any personal problems. His videos suck imo but whatever.

I did not say it was a lot of money, I said it's not THAT much money comparable to other entertainment industries., and it isn't. It's like comparing someone who earns 20k a year to someone on 200k a year.

If you actually look up numbers, you'd know that outside of the top, top actors in hollywood, most movie stars don't make as much he does

Fishlake

Amazing milestone but I'm not surprised he is on top.

He seems like a great person that attracts others too him. He does a lot for his fans and actually interacts with them. He also is a great source for horror games when one is too afraid to go through it them self.

I'm older than the demographic he targets but I understand why he is popular.

I'm not frustrated or anything of the sorts, this is just mild interest. I just don't think he deserves the success that's it.

But that's what I mean. What makes someone deserve success? If you're criteria for deserving success is you're own personal interest, than I think that's incredibly arrogant and egocentric

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Good for him. His channel is an absurdists dream, and he's managed to click in just the right way with just the right demographic. Eventually he'll fizzle unless he branches out (like the FINEBROS's have done) but for the moment he's sitting pretty.

Aerocia

Find him annoying but I can understand why kids like his form of entertainment. It's been said a million times: Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Simple: Youtube/Twitch is television for the new generation. People make content, people watch it, then the $$$ rolls in. "Why watch _____ when I can do it/experience it myself" is poor logic since you can apply it to anything on television currently. Bear in mind, it's totally fine if you don't like it, I'm not trying to say otherwise.

I get what you're saying (and your TV analogy makes sense) but I feel like fixed experiences like single player games, trailers (movies not due to copyright I guess?) rank differently. You literally can do the same thing as they do, minus doing a constant commentary (and probably experience the actual content better in terms of atmosphere etc.). Or are people usually watching the reaction videos afterwards to see how their youtube personality of choice reacted?

I guess I could see the appeal of the latter? It's not like I've been immune to watching those C celebrities-comment-on-stuff shows on TV a decade ago or that kids-react-to-old-tech youtube channel.

Past

All I gotta say is he is a terrible role model for kids. He may not claim to be a role model, but if you know the majority of your fanbase consist of kids that look up to you, shouldn't you know, tone down on the swearing and rape jokes?

Top Bottom