• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Squad threatens to take down PSN and Xbox Live this Christmas

leeh

Trying to weather a DDOS attack is crazy because it's impossible. The goal needs to be a heightened global awareness of how to prevent malware infection. The DDOS attacks will diminish when there are less vulnerable computers.
Windows 10 is a step towards that.

Beefy

Trying to weather a DDOS attack is crazy because it's impossible. The goal needs to be a heightened global awareness of how to prevent malware infection. The DDOS attacks will diminish when there are less vulnerable computers.

Which will never happen. There are too many poorer countries who aren't up to speed security wise.

So, how many Xbone and PS4 titles can be played totally offline without having to phone home? This sort of threat definitely brings the problem with "always online" DRM into sharp focus.

They sort of have a point: The only reason they're able to do this (launch DDOS attacks) is because there are hundreds of millions of computers around the world that are infected with malware they are able to exploit. That's a huge general security problem that no one ever talks about--until PSN goes down for months.

These security failures, these threats and attacks are the only things that ever draw significant attention to cyber security.

The unfortunate thing is that that significant attention is seemingly not enough to get anyone to change their security habits.

American entities have been forced to up various components of their infrastructure because of groups like this--and yet American internet infrastructure is still way behind the rest of the world's.

That Asia's internet is so much better than ours is a terrifying prospect. What are we going to do when China decides to launch a real DDOS attack against large American networks--an attack empowered by, you know, fiber?

I'm not saying that Whatever Squad are heroes. I'm saying that, unfortunately, they're the villains American internet security needs.

Great post and right on the money.

Shenmue

Banned
They sort of have a point: The only reason they're able to do this (launch DDOS attacks) is because there are hundreds of millions of computers around the world that are infected with malware they are able to exploit. That's a huge general security problem that no one ever talks about--until PSN goes down for months.

These security failures, these threats and attacks are the only things that ever draw significant attention to cyber security.

The unfortunate thing is that that significant attention is seemingly not enough to get anyone to change their security habits.

American entities have been forced to up various components of their infrastructure because of groups like this--and yet American internet infrastructure is still way behind the rest of the world's.

That Asia's internet is so much better than ours is a terrifying prospect. What are we going to do when China decides to launch a real DDOS attack against large American networks--an attack empowered by, you know, fiber?

I'm not saying that Whatever Squad are heroes. I'm saying that, unfortunately, they're the villains American internet security needs.

No they arent right at all. They have no point at all. They are just simply moronic criminals. What you just posted is the worst justification for criminals like them. Victim blaming is the worst. Everything in the world has weaknesses and is not perfect. That is no excuse to exploit it.

I can't even believe this is a real post.

pbayne

Thank god i finally got my account on ps4 sorted, it was a nightmare cause of these idiots, must have got 15 server issues.

I just find it laughable how apparently people who tweet "1000 RTs and we will stop attacking" are taking down networks, with no warning then claiming it after it runs into troubles. Hmmm. Interesting coincidence.

Sony....smh.

They should use that PS+ money to beef up their services already.

Explain how? Throwing more servers at it? For the most part a DDOS is impossible to stop and its only about mitigating it when it happens. Really I would love to see a service that acts a sort of filter and when it recognizes a DDOS is bans those IPs and collates them into a list to send to the respective organizations who close down bot nets. Also I would love to see punishments for these kids/adults that is more than a slap on the wrist.

EthanC

Banned
PSN is going down tonight/tomorrow regardless of any DDOS attack. It always happens when there's a large influx of new PS4s being used for the first time. It happened as recently as Black Friday. Just have some single player games ready to go and set your console to primary.

PSN is going down tonight/tomorrow regardless of any DDOS attack. It always happens when there's a large influx of new PS4s being used for the first time. It happened as recently as Black Friday. Just have some single player games ready to go and set your console to primary.

Yes it's definitly some kids trolling on twitter

OBias

Episode 46

TRUTH: THE MAN WHO SOLD THE VOUCHERS

Created and Directed by
Kim Dotcom

Starring
Kim Dotcom
Xbox NZ
Sony

Guest Starring
The "PHANTOM SQUAD" Parasite Unit

On the Wii U front, not specifically worried about hackers but should I expect the Nintendo online system to be overwhelmed?

I bought it for my kids along w/ Kart8 and Splattoon -- just wondering whether I should even bother to connect it online Xmas day? Don't want to be stuck in system update hell etc.

Avoid the updates until they've finished playing, then update during the night. System downloads in standby and installs upon boot up.

Kydd BlaZe

I can't log in to PSN at the moment. US East Coast.

Not sure if there are any attacks or if it's just Sony's servers being trash again, but I can't get online on my PS4.

Smh.

Omni

I can't log in to PSN at the moment. US East Coast.

Not sure if there are any attacks or if it's just Sony's servers being trash again, but I can't get online on my PS4.

Smh.

Can't sign in either. Australia.

edit. Never mind, seems to be okay now. //shrug

occelinho

PSN works fine for me (germany).
Have full access to the store, what's new, friends etc.

Edit: Same thing for XBL. Everything is working for me.

Sayad

My question is why do this during Christmas? Aren't servers probably gonna go down more to new user influx than DDOS or hacking?
Servers getting slammed by the influx of new users make them even more vulnerable to DDoS attacks. Basically, half the job would be done by legitimate users just trying to log on.

BokehKing

Banned
Sony....smh.

They should use that PS+ money to beef up their services already.
Spend a bunch of money for one day out of the year because Internet terrorist want to ruin other peoples holidays?

Who is the real bad guys here?

What Twitter should do is deactivate their account so people stop giving them the attention they crave. Stop giving these guys a podium

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Works fine for me (PSN). Probably just a lot kids who got a Ps4 for Christmas and are now trying to connect at the same time.

Freeman76

my uk and us accounts are working fine, fucking dweebs aint affecting me. Xmas day anyway one of the days of the year when gaming isn't really a part of my itinerary

US PSN looks to be working fine in NYC. I expect things to get funky as literally millions of new PS4 and Xbox One owners flood the service in the coming hours, but that's to be expected at this point.

Sayad

Which will never happen. There are too many poorer countries who aren't up to speed security wise.
This has nothing to do with poorer countries, it's more about uninformed consumers, which you'll find more of in developed countries than in the "poorer" ones.

Kamina

Golden Boy
image73c19.jpg

Whatever happened to Salamander Squad?

Top Bottom