• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Squad threatens to take down PSN and Xbox Live this Christmas

Didn't the lizard people get arrested? Why the fuck would any sane person put themselves in a position where they will eventually get locked up for years and have massive fines just to be an asshole and stop people from playing games?

Anonymity makes children feel tough. But then it turns out that they're not as anonymous as they thought they were.

But...this isn't a hack, right? How much can a company really do against a persistent DDoS attack? (Forgive my ignorance, if it is obvious.)

I am sure Sony has taken the necessary steps to make sure any new attack on the network wont be as bad as last year. After the attacks of last year and putting online behind a paywall surely the back end of PSN has been substantially upgraded to offer a smoother and more secure experience for its users.

749.gif

Wonder what kind of compensation they will do this time.

ZeroCDR

That realization that I don't play anything online on PS4 or Xbox One, lol. Still, that's gonna suck for everyone else, not sure if there's much they can do to protect from a large scale DDoS.

If nothing else I look forward to another 5 day PS+ extension that bumps all my shit back to the top of the download list :p

Lazaro

It would be interesting if the reason PSN was down all the time this year was because Sony was upgrading their server network. Doubt it though, lol.

Pastry

Banned
I'll have a single player game this year but it's Fallout 4 and one of my Christmas presents from the gf so I'll need to connect to the network for patches 😒

Fishlake

So why does Nintendo not get attacked by these groups as often?

I've always found that so odd.

I can't imagine the Bandwidth being bigger than what Microsoft can provide.

DedValve

Banned
I mean, I was gonna get on splatoon but this is fucking ridiculous. Last year I was locked out of my PS4 because I didn't activate it as a main console or whatever the fuck. Infuriating as it was brand new.

Fuck these assholes so much. At the very least, at the VERY least I implore you to stop acting like you care and just outright state that this isn't anyone except for your own shriveled egos you pricks.

vypek

The only notable part is if both networks stay down for a week. A heavy traffic day like Christmas isn't really significant for a network going down. Staying down is a different story. If their DDoS is large scale enough then of course it will disrupt both networks though.

Hoje0308

Banned
Because they're fucking losers that are desperate for attention, as evidenced by the fact that they felt the need to announce an attack in advance.

This is so terrible for folks who work over at the PSN and XBL HQ respectfully and the folks who only have like 5 days a year off and just want to sit down and play a game online :(

ViciousDS

Banned
Is there even a way to counter DDoS attacks?

IP block incoming connections from foreign countries.....most of the bots are based in China that they use most likely due to how unprotected and outdated that market is.

Hope most of them updated to windows 10 for some security assurance lol

I am sure Sony has taken the necessary steps to make sure any new attack on the network wont be as bad as last year. After the attacks of last year and putting online behind a paywall surely the back end of PSN has been substantially upgraded to offer a smoother and more secure experience for its users.

749.gif

Sony's network makes me sad. But this pic of Mr. Elba makes me laugh every time. Perfect.

styl3s

Servers are usually borked from the influx of new consoles anyways. Still, what a bunch of twats.

This combined with the influx of new users during holidays is why i always tell friends and friends of family who buy these things for their kids or nephews or whatever to hook them up and update them and if they don't know how to either bring them over and i will go over and set them up for them because i understand how much of a pain in the ass it is to try to get updates from a fresh console on christmas day especially on PSN where download speeds are already embarrassingly slow.

Ferr986

749.gif

lol you almost got me.

True Fire

Prediction: Microsoft fares well against the hackers, and Sony proves themselves to be completely incompetent once again.

I love Sony, but they've had a bad couple of years when it comes to security.

Dredd97

lutz!

calling DDoS a hack lol

I bet they want Kim Dotcom to cross their palms with silver...

let's just this what it is...
its a shakedown attempt by bored script kiddie / man children trying to get a bit of a name...

Chris1

"We are going to shut down PSN and XBox Live on Christmas. And we are going to keep them down for one week straight," it posted on twitter.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Xbox live was down for a few hours last year, somehow I doubt it'll be down an entire week this time.

But Dotcom has a point, they've had a year to prepare for these attacks the attacks should be nothing more than a minor inconvenience. If they go down for hours again then that's poor display from Sony & MS.

Still doesn't excuse the nonsense from these idiots though, if they really wanted to prove a point they'd do it at random times not when there's millions of kids turning new consoles on. That's just being a dick, not proving a point. Not that I think ddosing at any other time is acceptable either but Christmas is the absolute worst time.

Top Bottom