• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Squad threatens to take down PSN and Xbox Live this Christmas

jax

Banned
And if the hack does go through and the services are down for a week people will continue to pay once they go up, so this will accomplish nothing. These services go down once a month anyway regardless of attacks.

I'll never understand why people pay hundreds of dollars a year to play a game online. Especially when the best of the games can be played on PC for free.

Aequitas

iyVSavR.jpg

kevin1025

Banned
Wait till I patch Black Ops III and Rise of the Tomb Raider, then you guys can go nuts. Plus you'll technically make Just Cause 3 work better, so it's not all bad.

Jumping Chief

Neo Member
I feel like this is the third year of this happening, so at this point it wouldn't be Christmas unless some "hacker group" takes done PSN and Live on Christmas.

Gxgear

How does someone referred as an 'internet mogul' not understand how DDoS works? Not to mention the fact that he brought this on us all when he made it profitable for people to act this way by offering rewards.

I'll be playing Dragon Quest Heroes, Bloodborne, and Life is Strange so it won't affect me. I could play Casualfront but won't care too much unlike last year if it's down. These guys need to go to jail for a decade if they get caught and are 18+.

It's beginning to feel a lot like christmas ... Fuck 'em.

I'll never understand why people pay hundreds of dollars a year to play a game online. Especially when the best of the games can be played on PC for free.

It's all about friends and preference really, not that hard to understand.

MauroNL

And if the hack does go through and the services are down for a week people will continue to pay once they go up, so this will accomplish nothing. These services go down once a month anyway regardless of attacks.

C'mon now that's a little extreme. I paid less then $30 for a year of Xbox Live and I get a minimum of 24 free Xbox One games a year for free ( 48 if you count the 360 BC titles now ), so this really isn't an argument anymore IMO

Bsigg12

Not a single person pays hundreds of dollars a year to use Live or PSN.

"Warning @Sony & @Microsoft. You had 1 year to upgrade your networks. If Lizard Squad takes down PSN & XBOX this Xmas, we'll be pissed! " he posted.

I mean, isn't it practically impossible to defend against a dedicated large-scale DDOS attack?

Rainer70

This mostly sucks for those that chose to game share digitally, as you will be locked out of all of your content. I wish there was a system in place to resolve that in case of these situations. The most you can do is return your personal PS4 into your primary for that holiday period and your friend/family member who you share with will be shit out of luck until the threat subsides.

SomTervo

Why give them attention, though?

This is pertinent news, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't know they were planning to do this and it affects me directly. Now I have warning that PSN/XBL might be down and I can make other plans.

I mean, isn't it practically impossible to defend against a dedicated large-scale DDOS attack?

This is what I'm wondering. Seems like an unreasonable demand.

Sakujou

Banned
i cant believe how dumb the industry is. usually you should be on high alert if this is made public.

sony especially is not doing ANYTHING in this regards since... 2010.
PSN hacks werent enough.

BokehKing

Banned
Here is an idea, stop giving them attention, Twitter takes down their accounts for 48 hours and these kids will be forced to spend time with family instead during the holidays

Nesther

The hyperbolism is strong in this one.
IGC, friends,exclusives. Those are all reasons to sign up for it. The recent price cut helps too.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lame. At least I'm out of town the 25-29th and won't be gaming online then anyway.

Coxy100

Banned
"Mr Dotcom said if the online games were hacked it would entirely be the tech company's fault as they had been given plenty of time to prepare for a repeat attack."

Did he actually say that?

If he said that he's an idiot - of course it is Microsoft and Sony's fault.... twisted logic.

Fox Mulder

whatever, these sevices always struggle at christmas anyways. If they're such elite hackers, why not do it at another time of the year instead of piggy backing off the surge in use already straining the services.

Bsigg12

i cant believe how dumb the industry is. usually you should be on high alert if this is made public.

sony especially is not doing ANYTHING in this regards since... 2010.
PSN hacks werent enough.

There's a difference between someone hacking through your security and someone overloading your servers with false calls. There really isn't much you can do against a DDoS attack.

I am sure Sony has taken the necessary steps to make sure any new attack on the network wont be as bad as last year. After the attacks of last year and putting online behind a paywall surely the back end of PSN has been substantially upgraded to offer a smoother and more secure experience for its users.

749.gif

Wonder what kind of compensation they will do this time.

It's amazing how stupid and clueless so many posters in this thread really are, even worse when they try to be funny with it.

There was no threat to security last year, it was a ddos attack, not a hack.

Also exaggeration in this thread with regards to the amount of downtime PSN experiences / cost of paying for online.

Also any nonsense about this being done for a reason is horseshit, attention whoring at its worst.

As far as I understand, it is pretty tough to counter.

Of course, it is being (has been) made out to be a simple matter and Sony and MS (leaning more toward Sony) are just being incompetent.

It's amazing how stupid and clueless so many posters in this thread really are, even worse when they try to be funny with it.

Also exaggeration in this thread with regards to the amount of downtime PSN experiences / cost of paying for online.

Also any nonsense about this being done for a reason is horseshit, attention whoring at its worst.
Preach!

Who spends hundreds?

ps3ud0

How does someone referred as an 'internet mogul' not understand how DDoS works? Not to mention the fact that he brought this on us all when he made it profitable for people to act this way by offering rewards.
LOL was wondering the same thing :p

ps3ud0 8)

DrArchon

How many hacking "squads" are there now? I knew about Lizard Squad, but this one is new to me.

At least they won't bother with the Wii U.

This is pertinent news, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't know they were planning to do this and it affects me directly. Now I have warning that PSN/XBL might be down and I can make other plans.

This is what I'm wondering. Seems like an unreasonable demand.

Unreasonable isn't the correct word. Naïve, or even ignorant would fit better.

Could the mods somehow ensure that they'll not be mentioned by name, so we don't offer them any direct attention.

I saw other websites purposefully never mention the name Lizardsquad last year.

This. Stop giving these idiots attention.

Oh, well then.

Welcome to the future of gaming.

Luckily I have Xenoblade Chronicles X and the Talos Principle waiting on me to be played. Won't need the Internet for those. Better pop them in and download the patches for them now.

DedValve

Banned
"Phantom Squad" = all the little kids opening their new PS4/Xbones up on Christmas.

the networks were gonna go down anyhow.

No it wasn't because outside of DDOS attacks and that 1 time early on during the 360's life the networks have never gone down during christmas.

Sony and Microsoft are prepared for Christmas. What they aren't prepared for are DDOS attacks. Microsoft is better off because of their wide expanse of azure servers but still, you don't actively stop a DDOS attack and there is no security for it as it isn't a hack.

At least that is from my understanding from last year. These networks would do just fine without any "outside help".

Gxgear

Sad really. The one place where one would expect to have intelligent conversations about a serious situation, and people are still trying to meme it up like it's reddit or something.

Could the mods somehow ensure that they'll not be mentioned by name, so we don't offer them any direct attention.

I saw other websites purposefully never mention the name Lizardsquad last year.

This is a great idea.

The "Gift" that keeps on giving..

please... just let me enjoy gaming.. take down Nintendo's network.. or.. what... just go to sleep.

Really? You'd rather them screw Wii U players than no one at all? Nice. I'll never understand the way some GAFers think.

Shit like this makes me glad that the only games I play online are Wii U ones, but I also hope these idiots are caught and shut down before they can ruin the holidays for new PS4 and Xbone owners.

Top Bottom