• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Squad threatens to take down PSN and Xbox Live this Christmas

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
This is pertinent news, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't know they were planning to do this and it affects me directly. Now I have warning that PSN/XBL might be down and I can make other plans.
Yes, but it just gives them an incentive to do this stuff regularly if it gets people riled up. The best way to deal with a troll is to ignore it.

Alx

Their motivations sound really absurd. "We're taking down a network to complain about the fact that it didn't take all the necessary measures against people taking networks down... like us".
I guess if they consider that the city has to do something to make streets safer, they'll start shooting people to prove their point...

Hanmik

Really? You'd rather them screw Wii U players than no one at all? Nice. I'll never understand the way some GAFers think.

Shit like this makes me glad that the only games I play online are Wii U ones, but I also hope these idiots are caught and shut down before they can ruin the holidays for new PS4 and Xbone owners.

come on. lol.. that was a joke post.. even Mario could see that.

Nesther

Their motivations sound really absurd. "We're taking down a network to complain about the fact that it didn't take all the necessary measures against people taking networks down... like us".
I guess if they consider that the city has to do something to make streets safer, they'll start shooting people to prove their point...

That's just how the minds of edgy teens work.

leeh

It's amazing how stupid and clueless so many posters in this thread really are, even worse when they try to be funny with it.

There was no threat to security last year, it was a ddos attack, not a hack.

Also exaggeration in this thread with regards to the amount of downtime PSN experiences / cost of paying for online.

Also any nonsense about this being done for a reason is horseshit, attention whoring at its worst.
Read his post, he said attack not hack. You've even called it an attack in your post.

There's no exaggeration, wasn't it down for like 3 days last year? That's horrendous on the Christmas period. Even the couple of hours XBL faced is definitely unacceptable, heck, any downtime is.

jax

Banned
Who spends hundreds?
The fact that it costs anything and is down as frequently as it is is troubling to say the least. I know I wouldn't pay for a broken service, especially when there are free alternatives with better games, less lag, better graphics, etc.

Apathy

Could the world please stop calling people like this hackers. Not even the right term, but aside from that these are script kiddies with access to a botnet. They aren't doing shit other than clogging up the pathways and overloading the servers with fake requests.

See these little shits give any person in gaming or technology a bad name. And its worse because they are just little shits and end up with a slap on the wrist rather than the larger punishment they should get. And I know, the adage of "ugh its just gaming" but you are taking down a companies revenue stream with this and potentially ruining their image.

how about if they really wanted to cause some lulz take down banking networks over Christmas

consequences will never be the same

Piccoro

What were those 3 days last year? Was it 24th to 26th?
Usually I don't play during those days because I'm too busy socializing/drinking, so I only play after the 26th.

The fact that it costs anything and is down as frequently as it is is troubling to say the least. I know I wouldn't pay for a broken service, especially when there are free alternatives with better games, less lag, better graphics, etc.
Well, it certainly looks like you're coming from a position of complete objectivity.

And if the hack does go through and the services are down for a week people will continue to pay once they go up, so this will accomplish nothing. These services go down once a month anyway regardless of attacks.

I'll never understand why people pay hundreds of dollars a year to play a game online. Especially when the best of the games can be played on PC for free.

Hundreds of dollars a year? Please explain...

Cranster

Banned
Mr Dotcom said if the online games were hacked it would entirely be the tech company's fault as they had been given plenty of time to prepare for a repeat attack.
Wow, that is some victim blaming if I ever saw it.

LakeEarth

Wow, that is some victim blaming if I ever saw it.

Also, he knows what he's saying is bullshit. Increasing the strength of a DDoS attack costs much less than increasing the strength of the network trying to defend against it. No matter what Microsoft and Sony does to increase "strength", the douche squads can always just hit harder.

v0yce

Hundreds of dollars!
Broken service!
Better games!
Less lag!
Better graphics!
Etc!

I'm convinced. I'm never paying for PSN or Live ever again.

Kaibutsu

Helps to have some offline playable games on your PS4 and X1 to be on the safe side.
Based off last year it seems like most PS4 owners only had online MP games or something.

You do realize that most new games now either have online components or hit a server online for single player stuff right? Welcome to the future

edit: I think what gets lost here is that kim.asshole basically incentivized this type of behavior by giving them what they wanted last year

I genuinely hope those folks just catch some disease that can't be cured. I am sorry, no sympathy at all for low life scum like this.

At least let these assholes be arrested and with a bit of luck become someone's bitch behind bars.

iyVSavR.jpg

Can't I just have a nice family gathering at Christmas with some online gaming as a normal party activity?

bumclot

Didn't the lizard people get arrested? Why the fuck would any sane person put themselves in a position where they will eventually get locked up for years and have massive fines just to be an asshole and stop people from playing games?

These people rarely face serious repercussions for their actions. One of them was convicted on over 50,000 counts of computer crime, but he served only a few weeks in jail and got a two year suspended sentence.

Another LS member who is also a prolific swatter got only 16 months in custody, 8 months of probation.

Not that lengthy sentences matter anyway, considering how even the death penalty doesn't deter crime. If anyone is looking forward to shadow squad or whatever squad facing any serious repercussions, though, you should probably temper your expectations and prepare for disappointment now.

Akronis

Turn on firewall. You're welcome Slowny & M$.

Wow go learn how DDOS attacks work. Even with enterprise F5, Cisco, and Juniper equipment, a big enough DDOS can take it down. They can also attacks nodes that are weak, not MS or Sony themselves.

It also depends on what they're doing. If they attack it from the application-layer, it's MUCH more difficult to filter than SYN, TCP, or UDP floods.

Let 'em, they'll get caught and be sent to juve/prison. These, what I assume are teenagers, aren't skilled enough to not get caught. Heck they probably actually don't have "skills" to speak of.

Akronis

Let 'em, they'll get caught and be sent to juve/prison. These, what I assume are teenagers, aren't skilled enough to not get caught. Heck they probably actually don't have "skills" to speak of.

You can buy botnets. Go buy some bitcoins, send them to some dude in China, get access to 10,000+ PCs for a week and go to town.

It's not that simple.

KoopaTheCasual

Boy those goalposts moved fast.

Top Bottom