• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Minecraft is a perfect fit for the Nintendo Switch"

Stupid question, but why isn`t Minecraft exclusive to Windows Store and Xbox at this point? It`s not like they are releasing any of their other titles on PS4 and Nintendo.

Because it was an extremely popular established brand prior to being purchased by Microsoft and sells a metric shit load on any platform it gets released on.

LewieP

It's cool that Microsoft realise that much of the value of Minecraft comes from it's ubiquity. They can benefit from owning Minecraft without locking it down to certain platforms.

Guy who leads Xbox Division says game that is popular with certain subset of people and is also on every modern platform at this point, that they also happen to own right now as a company is a good fit on the new hot system that is doing well.

GAF proceeds to think that this means Rare games from the past are coming to said new Nintendo platform.

Possibly the only Phil Spencer says thread that can't turn into a dumpster fire.

Bless your pure soul.

MaulerX

Of course he'll say that. MS be like:

giphy.gif

Possibly the only Phil Spencer says thread that can't turn into a dumpster fire.

Patience.

Stupid question, but why isn`t Minecraft exclusive to Windows Store and Xbox at this point? It`s not like they are releasing any of their other titles on PS4 and Nintendo.

It was multiplatform when they bought it and the financial and PR harm they would sustain by making it exclusive would eclipse any benefit they would get.

Best to think of Minecraft not as an Xbox game but as more of a Microsoft product like Office or Skype.

Venom.

because then who would buy the Xbox ??
Halo Gears and Forza are what keep Xbox alive since they shut down literally every other studio or partnership

I get this, Xbox needs its own unique properties to make it a desirable product but I am just ruminating. If Microsoft make their profits from third party royalties and Xbox Live, could they outweigh that by going multi platform? Like Spotify, Kindle, MS Office whatever hardware platform you own you have access to the software/service.

There's a bunch of rhetorical answers, but the boring truth is simply that Minecraft was multiplatform before Microsoft acquired it, and it would be very unorthodox to stop third party support.

This makes the most sense. I remember when The announcement video was released Phil Spencer made sure to state that Minecraft would stay on all platforms. To have removed it would have been a PR disaster. Keeping it on all platforms has worked out okay for them and I believe they view Minecraft as a platform.

Mrbob

2.5 billion reasons. They need to make their money back. I don't even expect a sequel to be exclusive. Minecraft is too big. Might be some Xbox exclusive content.

Xe4

Banned
Of course. It's Minecraft on the go, and the best version of it.

Minecraft is pretty much the perfect fit for any console or gaming system. That's why the game has legs longer than Usain Bolt's.

While your at it Phil I think Xbox games would be a perfect fit in the steam store instead of the windows store (to which I suffer with every day).

Either that or improve the windows store.

joecanada

Guy who leads Xbox Division says game that is popular with certain subset of people and is also on every modern platform at this point, that they also happen to own right now as a company is a good fit on the new hot system that is doing well.

GAF proceeds to think that this means Rare games from the past are coming to said new Nintendo platform

I mean was that so hard ? Wow the comprehension level in this thread is all time low

Ploid 3.0

Imagine if Microsoft made Minecraft exclusive to Windows and Xbox. All that money they would leave on the table, and they won't make up for it with forcing some people to move to the two platforms. If they spent billions on Halo you can bet they would try to have it on phones, tablets, netflix, and toasters to make that money back.

Crayon

Imagine if Microsoft made Minecraft exclusive to Windows and Xbox. All that money they would leave on the table, and they won't make up for it with forcing some people to move to the two platforms. If they spent billions on Halo you can bet they would try to have it on phones, tablets, netflix, and toasters to make that money back.

People would just play the old version. They would have to force upgrade millions of minecraft owners to the new version. So it's not off the table I guess.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Hey, gotta prove the investors you're working on making that money.

The preemptive victim posts now usually outnumber the actual trolling xbox posts in xbox threads. It's kinda sad. We're better than this guys.

I hope this is gonna be a huge success for both MS and Nintendo. Who am I kidding? Of course it will!

Dryk

I'm enjoying all the positive industry buzz for the Switch at the moment. The system's on a good trajectory.

Montresor

The preemptive victim posts now usually outnumber the actual trolling xbox posts in xbox threads. It's kinda sad. We're better than this guys.

I hope this is gonna be a huge success for both MS and Nintendo. Who am I kidding? Of course it will!

Like clockwork. Xbox gets trolled in a thread that has nothing to do with Xbox, people call it out, and someone says "Stop it with the victim complex, guys". Like, it's amazing to me how there are always people running to the defense of off-topic or troll comments.

Anyway, as an Xbox fan I'm actually pretty happy about the Switch version of the game getting a 90+ Metacritic. It's unfortunately been pretty rare for Microsoft to publish a 990 metacritic game lately. Forza Horizon 3 is the only one so far (besides this new edition of Minecraft).

This edition looks pretty much perfect - it's the first time the full meaty version of Minecraft is going to be on a mobile platform.

Like clockwork. Xbox gets trolled, people call it out, and someone says "Stop it with the victim complex, guys".

Anyway, as an Xbox fan I'm actually pretty happy about the Switch version of the game getting a 90+ Metacritic. It's unfortunately been pretty rare for Microsoft to publish a 990 metacritic game lately. Forza Horizon 3 is the only one so far (besides this new edition of Minecraft).

What are you talking about? Go back up and read the posts. There's preemptive posts before the usual suspects even come in and troll. Like why play into their hands?

Most of GAF have a hate boner for Phil and Miyamoto.

I dont think anyone dislikes myamoto, but he seems to meddle alot in games at nintendo some times for worse, some times for better. As for spencer he seems genuine, snd he does his best to make his produc look good

What are you talking about? Go back up and read the posts. There's preemptive posts before the usual suspects even come in and troll. Like why play into their hands?

He is right, though. Literally RIGHT after those posts they came flooding in. I mean, it didn't even make it to the second page. IMHO, it's more sad that it's such a common occurrence here, so much so that people predict it correctly seconds/minutes before it actually happens.

Like, that's fucking pathetic. A topic about Minecraft on Nintendo Switch has people talking about Xbox having no games, Phil Spencer is shilling, and Xbox exclusives should be on Playstation on the first page.

Why talk about a couple of pre-emptive (and ironically 100% correct) posts when there is a much bigger problem here?

Anyways, we should get off this subject as it's going to further derail the thread. :p

Top Bottom