• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: MS will spend money on marketing and developing Rise of the Tomb Raider

GameSeeker

I'm beginning to think Phil Spencer is at bad at PR as the rest of the Xbox executive team. He can't seem to give consistent and straight answers.

What should be a "win" for Microsoft keeps turning into a "loss" due to inconsistent, confusing and sometimes wrong messaging.

Killer

Banned
So this is like Titanfall/DR3 deal? they wouldn't exist without MS? if so, better to be exclusive than not having the game at all.

Toki767

I'm not to familiar with contracts, but I really don't think MSFT is trying to lie or be as shady as everyone thinks. I'm sure there is something in the contract that is preventing them to talk because certain details are not sure. Maybe its like titanfall were things are just undecided right now about how exclusive it really is.

If no one from either parties can talk about the deal both parties signed, everyone in that deal screwed up.

If they are publishing as they did with dead rising then the game likely wouldn't have existed otherwise.

This is nonsense.

Tomb raider was a multi-million seller, one of square-enix more successful projects this generation. They currently arent as strapped for cash as capcom and Crystal dynamics are well established dev team with multiple million sellers under their belt.

The game didn't need to be rescued in the same vein Bayonetta 2 or DR3 have had to been.

I was warming to Mr Spencer, but these last few days have surely stopped that. Very strange things going on. I have this feeling this will be the last Tomb Raider mainstream game.

ItIsOkBro

Phil Spencer: I read NeoGAF, saw that people are okay with exclusivity deals when the company is publishing, so this is what I will say today.

Kagari already confirmed SquareEnix did not need any money for this game to come out; it was already going to come out before any of this.

It's hard to believe anyone thought otherwise. The first game was a success and of course the sequel was going to happen regardless. Microsoft simply rushed them with a nice check to get timed exclusivity, effectively cutting owners of other consoles off from playing the game when it's ready to hit shelves. There is nothing more to this than money.

Amir0x

Banned
So this is like Titanfall/DR3 deal? they wouldn't exist without MS? if so, better to be exclusive than not having the game at all.

Once again, Kagari already confirmed Square did not need any help or money for this game to come out.

There's no need for suspense. It's a trick to try to make people think they're doing something altruistic. They're not.

AmuroChan

What does co-publishing even mean? They published Dead Rising 3. Unless they mean they're only willing to publish the Xbox versions and Square Enix will have to publish the PS4/PC version themselves.

That's possible. I think MS published Minecraft on their own platforms and the other versions were published by someone else.

Cj01

I'm beginning to think Phil Spencer is at bad at PR as the rest of the Xbox executive team. He can't seem to give consistent and straight answers.

What should be a "win" for Microsoft keeps turning into a "loss" due to inconsistent, confusing and sometimes wrong messaging.

What other answers has Phil been confusing on outside of Tomb Raider?

StoopKid

This is nonsense.

Tomb raider was a multi-million seller, one of square-enix more successful projects this generation. They currently arent as strapped for cash as capcom and Crystal dynamics are well established dev team with multiple million sellers under their belt.

The game didn't need to be rescued in the same vein Bayonetta 2 or DR3 have had to been.

This.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

You're kidding yourself if you think the game wouldn't exist. It was always going to exist.

N.Domixis

Banned
Its fucking timed hes just trying to spin again. If it was fully excluisve they would have aboslutley said without being vague like after they bought titanfall.

BokehKing

Banned
Pretty sure this is not coming to ps4, PC will get it six months from now, but this is never coming to ps4.

Only because he keeps saying 'like Ryse and Dead Rising'

they are paying to develop, waaaaaaat.

if this is true, it will only come to pc. ms will publish the xbox one version, while square will publish pc version just like dead rising 3 with capcom

PhatSaqs

Banned
I imagine the vagueness is due to not wanting to look silly if somewhere down the line SE decides to do a "Sigma" version and release it elsewhere. But it's sounding like a similar deal to Bloodborne from what hes saying.

gcubed

this is nothing like that, TR was coming out anyway. This is a lack of an answer to obfuscate the issue further without coming out and saying when the exclusivity period is over.

This doesn't even say they are publishing, it says that they would be willing to. Its the ultimate non-answer. So much for savior Spencer

Sydle

Wish he'd just be straight and open about it. Still sounds to me like they're obfuscating to refrain from admitting it's only a timed exclusive. Presumably they've paid a pretty penny for it and want to make it count.

He's been pretty clear...

Phil Spencer said:
"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is," Spenceter said. "What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes. Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

I know reading is hard for a lot of GAF so I'll pull out the relevant bit:

"Yes, the deal has a duration."

DryvBy

This is what I mean. I think Phil has done a great job so far and the minute he cant give a straight answer he is Don 2.0?

He's continuing down the same stupid path for their gaming. This guy is just an improved Don only because he doesn't do the TV and Kinect bs.

Killer

Banned
Once again, Kagari already confirmed Square did not need any help or money for this game to come out.

There's no need for suspense. It's a trick to try to make people think they're doing something altruistic. They're not.

You're kidding yourself if you think the game wouldn't exist. It was always going to exist.

SE did say they were disappointed with first game sales.

AAK

Like Dead Rising 3?

OK that means XB1 exclusive before a PC release. Hence it is a console exclusive to Microsoft. I guess we can settle that.

Not sure how we would know either way. All were know was SE was vocal about its poor performance last year and this year it sold under 500,000 on PS4 and xbo combined.

Poor performance is relative.

It didn't sell to expectations out the gate, but has grown to a 3+ million property since then, even ignoring the current gen releases.

There is no way on earth a sequel was not going to be made. Its not skyrim but no publisher is going to walk away from that many potential sales in this market.

StoopKid

Not sure how we would know either way. All were know was SE was vocal about its poor performance last year and this year it sold under 500,000 on PS4 and xbo combined.

The game sold 6 million copies!

We all know damn well it was going to get a sequel.

I'm not falling for this pr bs.

Dante316

Rise of the tomb raider is not coming to ps4. Rise of the tomb raider definitive edition or rise of the tomb raider game of the year is. They can't use the same title. Remember ninja gaiden. It was renamed ninja gaiden sigma. The words are being used carefully.

Top Bottom