• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: MS will spend money on marketing and developing Rise of the Tomb Raider

Steel

Banned
You know, it's possible that he's just saying "It's a third party exclusive like Dead Rising is" and not that they're spending money on marketing and developing. But who knows.

Edit:

Didn't notice the Article. You may laugh.

N.Domixis

Banned
Like Dead Rising 3?

OK that means XB1 exclusive before a PC release. Hence it is a console exclusive to Microsoft. I guess we can settle that.

he is lying, its timed for the holidays, otherwise they would say exclusive for the first game for the whole gen.

Greenzxy

So we got Top men from Microsoft working on Tomb Raider? I don't know how I feel about this.
Does Microsoft even make games?

Vestax

Banned
So why not be up-front about it and say that it was coming first to Xbox, rather than throwing the word “exclusive” out there when it could be construed as misleading? Is it fair to say that there are no plans, currently, for Rise of the Tomb Raider to appear on other platforms? “I’m not trying to duck the question - it’s just really not my place to discuss what they’re going to do,” said Spencer.

I'm not a fan of this PR dodging. Is he afraid of the PS4 or something? Why not just say if it's timed or not?

Reminds me of when how PopCap was being elusive of whether PvZ:GW would come to the PS4 or not. And six months later, lo and behold.

I don't get this...l

Amir0x

Banned
SE did say they were disappointed with first game sales.

Once again, they did not need any help or money for this game to come out. That's actually a fact. Kagari is not a random poster.

If you want to fall for this nonsense, be my guest. But just know that's exactly what Microsoft is hoping for: that gamers are naive enough to believe that garbage

Give it 1 Month. We will have MS trumpeting how RoTR is a lifetime console exclusive. Then 1 week later an article will pop up about how they swooped in to save SE/CD who were in development trouble.

Dredd97

do people really believe that MS is riding in to rescue TR from development hell with expertise and goodwill? really??

it is what it is, a moneyhat and he's just trying to justify buying exclusivity by smudging the answer and spreading FUD...

duckroll

You know, it's possible that he's just saying "It's a third party exclusive like Dead Rising is" and not that they're spending money on marketing and developing. But who knows.

Did you just read the tweet without reading the actual Kotaku interview? :p

Rise of the tomb raider is not coming to ps4. Rise of the tomb raider definitive edition or rise of the tomb raider game of the year is. They can't use the same title. Remember ninja gaiden. It was renamed ninja gaiden sigma. The words are being used carefully.

This probably.

The bonus here is it will probably be the base game+ DLC

do people really believe that MS is riding in to rescue TR from development hell with expertise and goodwill? really??

it is what it is, a moneyhat and he's just trying to justify buying exclusivity by smudging the answer and spreading FUD...

of course they aren't just doing for good will lol. no one in this thread said that

N.Domixis

Banned
I'm not a fan of this PR dodging. Is he afraid of the PS4 or something? Why not just say if it's timed or not?

Reminds me of when how Capcom was being elusive of whether PvZ:GW would come to the PS4 or not. And six months later, lo and behold.

I don't get this...l

its so obviously timed but we have xbox ans spreading fud saying its fully exclusive. Their wording and vagueness confirms it. I they had locked up full exclusivity they would make sure everyone knew. Why else do they keep saying exclusive or the holidays and has a duration?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Once again, they did not need any help or money for this game to come out. That's actually a fact. Kagari is not a random poster.

If you want to fall for this nonsense, be my guest. But just know that's exactly what Microsoft is hoping for: that gamers are naive enough to believe that garbage

Right. This is just more confusing messaging just meant to obfuscate the entire situation at this point.

I'm assuming this deal involves large amounts of money going from Microsoft to SE. Is anyone really surprised that some of that money is going to go into helping with the development costs of the game? Seems like common sense to me.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
They would probably consider that a mission accomplished then.

o3JmEcc.jpg

So is "xxx sold below expectations" code for "we want a console manufacturer to subsidize development of its sequel in exchange for an exclusive release"?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Should have said this that day. wtf? Could have stopped this outrage and massive hate to some extent.

Daemul

Ugh, another answer that's not really an answer.

How fucking hard is it to just be straight with people?

This is so confusing.
This shouldn't be so confusing.

Is it so difficult to just answer the question? Doesn't this actually hurt them more than avoiding it?

I wonder which end is holding up all the confusion... SE? MS? CD?

Wasn't it just announced SE was publisher? And now MS is? Wish someone would clear this up. Maybe they should have waited a bit longer to announce this.

Dem nebulous non-answers

Well, this is confusing in an amusing manner.

the lack of a direct answer clearly points to timed exclusivity. there's no other reason to be vague about it.

though there is always the possibility that, given the backlash, they will throw more money at it like they did with titanfall, and make it a straight-up exclusive after the fact

The thing is, I believe that the Tomb Raider deal is a similar one to DR3 and Ryse, where the game releases on Xbox, then comes to PC later. The difference with the other games, is that no one was asking Microsoft, Crytek or Capcom if the games were Xbox only or not, and only later found out that they were coming to PC.

With Tomb Raider, everyone wants to know, so now MS have to fudge responses and make it as confusing as possible, even though they are dropping hints in interviews by mentioning games like Ryse and Dead Rising. We'll find out by 2016 anyway, but this is what I'm willing to bet on.

bidguy

Banned

platform holders do send their own devs to help with development from time to time
did it with destiny and recently with the division

http://www.totalxbox.com/80362/divi...tal-relationship-with-xbox-one-and-microsoft/

We are in a total, almost integral relationship with Microsoft now," Rundqvist continued. "We have full access to everything they do, we exchange engineers back and forth between the companies, there's full and open transparency between us. So I'm assuming that we will be able to get the very best out of the Xbox One."

This is absolutely coming to PS4.

I believe this too.

I do find it strange there is so much uproar on this whatever the terms end up being.

If you are ps4 only wouldn't you be picking up UC4 anyways next fall? It will be out soon enough. Even if it is exclusive they'll still the special redone version.

Everyone agrees on that. Of course MS is going spin this in their favorite.

Given the confusion, my guess is MS has been throwing money and seeing who bites. They finally got SE onboard so they rushed the announcement. It doesn't matter either way, I doubt it's fully exclusive. Not to mention, I can't believe they're actually making it cross gen,t hay somehow is worse than the times exclusivity, in my opinion

This was a money hat though, I'm sure they'll feed us the savior MS narrative that they love so much (and which some people seem to just eat up)

SE did complain a ton about missing sales milestones last year. When 2k did that with BD infinite they shut the team down after selling millions.

Irrational wasn't closed down because of 2K or financial issues. Irrational closed because Ken Levine was tired of making Bioshock games and 2K said "You can either keep making Bioshock games and we'll give you full funding OR you can get rid of +80% of your studio and work on whatever the hell you want" - probably assuming he wouldn't take option B.

... and then he took option B.

Megatron

You guys remember titanfall right? A game that was a timed console exclusive until Microsoft reworked the deal? Can you imagine the backlash if they had said its a one year timed exclusive then took it away? sane thing here. Deals can be changed. Why say one thing if it could change?

Killer

Banned

I'm just stating facts. they never officially said they didn't need help/money but they said were disappointed with sales.

unbias

This pretty much makes it a MS IP if this is the equivalent of DR3. Like I said in the other topc...

If MS is jumping in bed with the publisher, much like DR3, this is practically a MS IP from here on out, unless SE is going to try multiplat, console exclusive, multiplat. Welp, this move is bigger then I thought if this is true, now MS needs to hope it moves consoles as well as SE. Tomb Raider being bought for a console leader... I guess we shall see how many units this game moves.

BokehKing

Banned
So more Xbox owners are going to start buying Tomb Raider or PC/PS oriented gamers will buy one just for this game. I don't see the latter happening in large numbers.
It's a shame because I enjoyed the tomb Raider reboot, but I played it during the summer when no other games are out, there is no way I'm fiending out for this game, watch Sony counter with a secret Uncharted 1 remaster

tfur

I guess they don't have much of a choice, as nothing is going to come from internal.

I think we could see more of these type of things. They need to do something to stop the bleeding from being kicked in the teeth in sales. I don't think it will help. Time will tell.

Top Bottom