• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You will see JRPGs on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomShoe

Banned
Beware folks, Spencer is about to take every JRPG you know and love and make it Xbox exclusive. Japanese developers are no match for the power of Microsoft's mighty wallet.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I don't think MS was ever happy with the ROI on these JRPGs on the 360.

I wouldn't mind if they just ported Blue Dragon over. I loved the look of that game, but the framerate murdered me.

Take Lost Odyssey & Blue Dragon, port to XBO with improved frame rates & load times, boom. JRPGs on Xbox One.

It's highly unlikely that they'll do that though. Though they sold well for new JRPG IPs, they didn't meet AAA expectations. And sequels are even less likely - Mistwalker is firmly in the mobile camp at this point.

You can't be changing Etrian Odyssey avatars on me like that.

Also the Scalebound talk in this thread is hilarious.

My avatar has the same character as before(even if it's not the delicious brown version), I thought that I'd still be easy to recognize, haha.

And yeah, talking about Scalebound when we don't know shit about it... damn. I mean, the most we can assume is that it will be a character action game, so then why compare it to JRPGs.

Sounds reactionary based on the recent SE JRPG news.

Still weird seeing KH on a console other than Nintendo or PlayStation. Still weird seeing Final Fantasy XV on the Xbox One, let alone existing. Then again SE really wants that money. Gotta play it safe, put games out everywhere, every system. Might as well put them on phones. Oh wait... this is SE, if they could they would put FFXV and KH3 on phones.

daveo42

Banned
FFXV and KH3.

99818-well-there-it-is-gif-response-zXO1.gif

My avatar has the same character as before(even if it's not the delicious brown version), I thought that I'd still be easy to recognize, haha.

And yeah, talking about Scalebound when we don't know shit about it... damn. I mean, the most we can assume is that it will be a character action game, so then why compare it to JRPGs.

Yeah I know it's still the dancer, just poking fun.

Not doubting Kamiya can make a JRPG or anything just that there have been no signs of it being one or what it is in general.

Yeah I know it's still the dancer, just poking fun.

Not doubting Kamiya can make a JRPG or anything just that there have been no signs of it being one or what it is in general.

I'd love a Kamiya made JRPG, I can imagine him going insane with the boss fights as usual and having the most stylish combat system ever.

Tain

People insisting on Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, and Kingdom Hearts being "JRPGs" probably share some of the blame. When you're comparing games like that to Dragon Quest, Platinum games are hardly a stretch at all.

koutoru

Sounds reactionary based on the recent SE JRPG news.

Still weird seeing KH on a console other than Nintendo or PlayStation. Still weird seeing Final Fantasy XV on the Xbox One, let alone existing. Then again SE really wants that money. Gotta play it safe, put games out everywhere, every system. Might as well put them on phones. Oh wait... this is SE, if they could they would put FFXV and KH3 on phones.
They should put them on PC first, that is, if they really wanted to be everywhere.

T.O.P

Banned
We also still have no idea on Scalebound genre

Might be some kind of action rpg (hoping for pure action but anyway)

Sakujou

Banned
if ms buys ff16 this would be the major thing.

or dq11 or dq12.
or breath of fire
suikoden?
chrono?
blue dragon?
star ocean?

anything but please let there be something awesome.

daveo42

Banned

or dq11 or dq12.
or breath of fire
suikoden?
chrono?
blue dragon?
star ocean?

Major? You bet. In the realm of possibility? Hell no. It's the same reason why we'll never see an exclusive mainline FF game on Sony hardware. No reason to cut out a portion of the fanbase by selling the game on a single console.

or dq11 or dq12.
or breath of fire
suikoden?
chrono?
blue dragon?
star ocean?

Microsoft isn't buying any JRPG exclusivity. They funded some JRPGs last generation since they thought they could make inroads into the Japanese gaming scene, but XBO's sales in Japan so far are truly abysmal - it's clearly a lost cause at this point. Not only that, but after seeing how the 360 performed and seeing how the XBO is doing much worse, any Japanese developer that's not completely insane would require a huge payment if they were going to be convinced to make an XBO JRPG exclusive.

mike4001_

Lol, no actual footage seen yet, just a 30 second CG trailer, and it's already better quality than your "usual jrpg". Also, probably not a JRPG.

Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif

Well, we know the studio which develops it.

So can assume quality.

Everone does it for lets say Uncharted 4 ;-)

Percy

Banned
Well, we know the studio which develops it.

So can assume quality.

Not really. Platinum might have a better batting average than most, but they can still produce stinkers when they want to. Just see Madworld, Anarchy Reigns and Legend of Korra for instance.

I'd assume nothing with regards to quality no matter who is making a game when we haven't seen a single second of it.

Dark_castle

Major? You bet. In the realm of possibility? Hell no. It's the same reason why we'll never see an exclusive mainline FF game on Sony hardware. No reason to cut out a portion of the fanbase by selling the game on a single console.

There's next to zero fanbase of FF in Xbox One.

SeanTSC

While stuff like the big multiplatform JRPGs from Square-Enix are a given, I highly doubt we'll see stuff from Gust or NIS or Compile Heart up there. Even with the X360's great success (outside of Japan) those were still PS3 only. Those sell so little as it is it probably isn't worth the cost of porting them even with the XB1's similar architecture to the PS4. Hell, even the Tales series went PS3 only and it wouldn't surprise me if it went PS4 only.

I would like to see someone bring Mistwalker back to doing Lost Odyssey level games though. How about they throw some money there to get a big JRPG funded again instead of doing something stupid like buying off exclusivity.

Microsoft isn't buying any JRPG exclusivity. They funded some JRPGs last generation since they thought they could make inroads into the Japanese gaming scene, but XBO's sales in Japan so far are truly abysmal - it's clearly a lost cause at this point. Not only that, but after seeing how the 360 performed and seeing how the XBO is doing much worse, any Japanese developer that's not completely insane would require a huge payment if they were going to be convinced to make an XBO JRPG exclusive.

unless MS buys the IP, or funds it, or releases for both Xbox One and PC

Vitafit

Banned
Of course they will

Those that are mainstream like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.And even then the Xbox One will just be 2nd Choice.
They won't get most of the other stuff and probably 0-1 exclusives that are worth owning.

They had their chance last Gen and the community didn't support it.
Now with the PS4 dominating the market everywhere there is no reason to really push J-RPGs on the Xbox One.

People want good exclusive games. The partnership with sakaguchi led to 2 great games. Hell Lost Odyssey with all its problems was probably still my favorite JRPG last Gen.

And Sakaguchi did those 2 games cause they had a contract for 2 games in exchange for getting Mistwalker running with funds.
In times like these he wouldn't be smart to do that again.Others won't see a good reason either.
Niche needs Playstation and Mainstream sells well without Xbox too.They won't get anything anymore like Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon.At least not made by Veterans like Sakaguchi.They would need to find an internal solution or give it to someone new.

Dynomutt

Except FF7. This game belongs on Sony consoles. If they make a remake it could be a big thing for PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom