• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You will see JRPGs on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

abadguy

Banned
And some of them got ported to PS3 with extra content because they sold like garbage on the Xbox 360, like Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean IV, & Tales of Vesperia (Japan only, though).

Not like they set the sales charts on fire on the PS3 either. TOV being the only really good JRPG out of the third party games. Infinite Undiscovery Blue Dragon and LO were owned by MS.

It's pretty obvious what Scalebound is. It's Bayonetta / Revengeance but with massive fights (Dragons). I'm sure it'll have some big unprecedented boss fights for a platinum game that'll make fans pretty happy...and everyone else yawn.

A JRPG it is not.

Just because Kamiya is directing it doesn't mean it will be anything like Bayonetta, he has a fairly diverse catalog of games he's worked on.

When it fits the narrative, you gotta, man.

I keep forgetting that.

it makes me wonder what would have happened, if Lost Odyssey were also released on the Ps3 (or Ps3 exclusive)
i seriously think this would´ve turned into a franchise.

Especially with the lack of japanese games on the early ps3 days

FFXV and KH3.

First post. I'll add and other major multiplat JRPGs like Dark Souls and maybe Dragon's Dogma and Dragon Quest(?).

Outside of that, I can't imagine any Japanese devs who don't have big-name franchises bothering to put their games on the system, especially exclusively. The only way I see that happening is if MS bankrolls it, and even then I doubt many would jump on that potential deal. (IMO) There is no future in putting your JRPG on an Xbox system. If you want your potential franchise to grow, it needs to be on platforms where Japanese gamers will buy. It's not a knock against the Xbox or anything, but it just wouldn't make sense business-wise. And from a consumer standpoint, if I were a huge JPRG fan I wouldn't bother with the Xbox (specifically in dealing with JRPGs). Same goes for PS4, at least right now.

I don't expect the PS4 to get many JPRGs either. It's obvious that the future of the genre is on handhelds and mobile.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Going back to FFXIII sales, I believe the split was about 60% in favor of the PS3, however that was when the 360 was still very much dominating sales, so I feel it will be more skewed once FFXV releases.

That was in the US, yeah. Worldwide it totals put it something around 80%+ in favor of PS3.

rrc1594

it makes me wonder what would have happened, if Lost Odyssey also appeared on the Ps3 (or Ps3 exclusive)
i seriously think this would´ve turned into a franchise.

Especially with the lack of japanese games on the early ps3 days

Sony should of funded it then

Kuni

The program they had with the 360: Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales, etc... Was clearly their huge attempt to break into the JPN market. Sadly it had no effect whatsoever...

With Xbox dead in Japan we'll never see another exclusive JRPG or any game from the Japanese market I don't think unless MS bankrolls it. If Sony keeps outselling maybe MS will do it as a hail mary kind of move but I doubt it...

Since bringing back phantom dust (Yeah im sure everyone knows im obsessed with it) I think microsoft is willing to bring anything back now you can't get more desolate then that and even though it was highly acclaimed it was horrendously underplayed and it's the reason why some people are like "Wtf is it" so some of these suggestions might not be to far off it just really depends if they can get into a conversation with the developers

the key success for a returning phantom dust was a onslaught of fans and the random luck of the internal people at microsoft being hardcore fans of the series

I would really love a Atlus game or any RPG that is exclusive to MS..just try something different with the JRPG scene just mix it up.. i don't know what it could be but whatever it is im going to be down to try it.

I remember og xbox/360 to have some clout with RPG like Mass effect 1,Kotor, Jade empire so on and so forth then it moved towards jrpg slightly they were willing to take some risk lets hope we see some new stuff from them because honestly i don't think they've really had any bad RPG games i can think of at the moment

Since bringing back phantom dust (Yeah im sure everyone knows im obsessed with it) I think microsoft is willing to bring anything back now you can't get more desolate then that and even though it was highly acclaimed it was horrendously underplayed and it's the reason why some people are like "Wtf is it" so some of these suggestions might not be to far off it just really depends if they can get into a conversation with the developers

the key success for a returning phantom dust was a onslaught of fans and the random luck of the internal people at microsoft being hardcore fans of the series

I would really love a Atlus game or any RPG that is exclusive to MS..just try something different with the JRPG scene just mix it up.. i don't know what it could be but whatever it is im going to be down to try it.
Yep. Phantom Dust sold 75k worldwide and was totally overlooked (part MS's stupid fault and also just a small install base). If they are willing to give that game the shot it deserves I think its fair to say that IP that sold low but show promise might be rebooted on the XB1. If they do the phantom dust reboot right I'm gonna make sure to tell as many people about it as possible. Phantom Dust deserves to be a hit. Its just too good to slip under the radar again.

abadguy

Banned
I'm kind of iffy on those ones tbh. Good Science is basically MIA, and we barely know anything about LXP or Platform Next.

Big Park wasn't founded by MS btw.

Didn't know BP wasn't founded by MS. As for LXP and and Platform Next, going by Turn 10 and 343i MS is pretty good when it comes to creating talented studios. Kind of a shame that MS Osaka wasn't actually a thing. Would have loved to see them build their own Japanese dev.

Didn't know BP wasn't founded by MS. As for LXP and and Platform Next, going by Turn 10 and 343i MS is pretty good when it comes to creating talented studios. Kind of a shame that MS Osaka wasn't actually a thing. Would have loved to see them build their own Japanese dev.

Until we know in proper, the small details coming out from these new studios are that they're all very likely incubation teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom