• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pic of first case of Xbox One off assembly line

oVerde

Banned
1xRR1XY.gif

Robbler

Banned
This explains why they announced the release date today. The date on those stickers on the box would leak quickly.

ethomaz

Banned
Are you sure about that? Someone in this thread claimed to have a 360 with a manufacture date of July 11, 2005: http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/373382-earliest-manufacture-date.html
He is right... Xbox 360 started the production 69 days before the launch... that's the main reason for the bad supply at launch... until the end of 2005 they shipped only 1.5 million units.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm?section=money_latest

The guy in your link says 7 Nov and not 11 July.

Ding

Looks like 3 (maybe 4) per box. There are smaller (narrower) boxes on the rack in the background of the first photo that are probably the individual Xbone shipping boxes.
Nah. I guess two XB1's per shipping box. The XB1 is a little bigger than the 360, and now the significantly beefier Kinect has to be packed in as well. Those display boxes are gonna be pretty big.

Well, hell. Major Nelson already showed us the display box....

Maybe 24" by 10"? Smaller than I figured. I retract my prediction.

Somebody CSI this shit! We need a reliable XB1-per-pallet metric for the coming forum wars!

GameSeeker

Not really , only takes about 2 weeks to ship things by boat . So they can have sept and oct units arrive by boat and the first week of nov. Should be able to ship out a few million

You are thinking US only. It takes much longer by boat to Europe. They will have to air ship a fair quantity.

Dai101

Banned
hmmmm... no way to know throughputs on the new console production, but that's an interesting assumption.

Guessing there's 4 consoles in that case, 27 cases per pallet = 108 XBONES per pallet

These are heavy, so let's say there's 48 pallets (unit loads) per shipping container = 5,184 consoles per container.

750K consoles = 145 containers total at launch. Doesn't seem like much...

Also don't forget that Flextronics (wild guess if they're still MS #1 manufacturer) has plants all over the world. Their Mexico plants provided the bulk for the North and South American market. Not counting Foxconn and other minor manufacturers.

So 22nd is world wide or what????

If your world is 13 countries, then yes.

He is right... Xbox 360 started the production 69 days before the launch... that's the main reason for the bad supply at launch... until the end of 2005 they shipped only 1.5 million units.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/05/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm?section=money_latest

Somewhat unfair as manufacturers are capable of much better volumes/ramp rates these days thanks to mobile device explosion.

This is a pretty desperate way for them to build hype

...erm, it's called. Hey fans, guess what? We've just started production!

Seriously, they're not trying to build hype. Do you know what it's like to work for several years on a project and finally have it completed? It feels amazing. You gotta give 'em their moment. You may not agree with a lot of their choices, but making a console is not an easy job.

GavinGT

Banned

I've said this twice now, but they didn't have enough 360s at launch because of bad chip yields. Those chips had already been in production for months before they started assembling the consoles in September 2005.

Pachinko

That box looks far to large to be holding only 1 system inside, I realize there are going to be packing materials but it looks as though at least 2 fully packaged systems are in each of the shipping boxes. The shipping boxes are also on their side and somehow I doubt they'd want the console laying flat inside of a sea can, more downward force on the surface area, kind of like laying a TV flat. It's just easier to break it that way.

I think I'll go with 4 to a box , there are 27 boxes on a pallet and sea cans (the trailer pictured being full of systems) aren't very large, you can stuff 2 rows of 10 pallets but obviously to decrease shifting risk, it's stuffed as full as possible so there could be 40 pallets of Xbox One per seacan(because they have a pallet on top and on the bottom). 4 xbox in each box X 27 per pallet X 40 pallets = over 4000 consoles per sea can.

Doing some simple labor logistics , let's say they are running 24/7 at this facility and it's the only line running. 3 seacans filled roughly every 24 hours and october 22nd is the final day to get them on a ship for day 1 (shipping times by boat are around a month). That gives us roughly 50 days X 3 seacans for 150 total. 150 X 4000 is a reasonable 600,000 systems. The exact math is actually a bit higher then that if there are 4 systems per box.

Based on this, for November 22nd , I'd expect 300,000 systems to be available in the US and Canada and 300,000 being shipped to the other 10 countries in PAL land getting it day 1. The bulk of that is likely going to the UK though, say 50,000 units ? maybe even 100,000 units ?

The reasonable cut off point for 2013 shipments would only be about another 30 days after the day 1 shipments , probably another 300-400,000 consoles shipped in time for christmas.

This would explain why MS delayed release in so many territories. They could be lucky to have a million systems built this year. I'd like to think that they plan to turn on another line in a month though but who knows ? perhaps they had so much trouble building components prior to assembly that they simply don't have the supply needed to build more xbox ones ?

Curious how far along sony is in all of this.

Looks like 3 (maybe 4) per box. There are smaller (narrower) boxes on the rack in the background of the first photo that are probably the individual Xbone shipping boxes.

Just now getting off the line? Scalpers are going to flock to this thing.

Those are just the pallets they stick them on, like the one on the picture where the box is on top.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That box looks far to large to be holding only 1 system inside, I realize there are going to be packing materials but it looks as though at least 2 fully packaged systems are in each of the shipping boxes. The shipping boxes are also on their side and somehow I doubt they'd want the console laying flat inside of a sea can, more downward force on the surface area, kind of like laying a TV flat. It's just easier to break it that way.

I think I'll go with 4 to a box , there are 27 boxes on a pallet and sea cans (the trailer pictured being full of systems) aren't very large, you can stuff 2 rows of 10 pallets but obviously to decrease shifting risk, it's stuffed as full as possible so there could be 40 pallets of Xbox One per seacan(because they have a pallet on top and on the bottom). 4 xbox in each box X 27 per pallet X 40 pallets = over 4000 consoles per sea can.

Doing some simple labor logistics , let's say they are running 24/7 at this facility and it's the only line running. 3 seacans filled roughly every 24 hours and october 22nd is the final day to get them on a ship for day 1 (shipping times by boat are around a month). That gives us roughly 50 days X 3 seacans for 150 total. 150 X 4000 is a reasonable 600,000 systems. The exact math is actually a bit higher then that if there are 4 systems per box.

Based on this, for November 22nd , I'd expect 300,000 systems to be available in the US and Canada and 300,000 being shipped to the other 10 countries in PAL land getting it day 1. The bulk of that is likely going to the UK though, say 50,000 units ? maybe even 100,000 units ?

The reasonable cut off point for 2013 shipments would only be about another 30 days after the day 1 shipments , probably another 300-400,000 consoles shipped in time for christmas.

This would explain why MS delayed release in so many territories. They could be lucky to have a million systems built this year. I'd like to think that they plan to turn on another line in a month though but who knows ? perhaps they had so much trouble building components prior to assembly that they simply don't have the supply needed to build more xbox ones ?

You GENUINELY did this math based on a photo of a box?

markao

I've said this twice now, but they didn't have enough 360s at launch because of bad chip yields. Those chips had already been in production for months before they started assembling the consoles in September 2005.
some info to support the above ;)

Getting Xbox 360 to Market (WSJ needs account or google)
Microsoft and IBM started production of the processor -- the heart of the Xbox 360 -- in early July, gradually increasing production over the summer.

This is pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a picture taken. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed assembly line I’ve ever half-heartedly seen my way through.

Make no mistake; gaming is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible

MAX PAYMENT

Wow at the amount of jabs at the Xbox one in EVERY Xbox thread. You shouldn't be allowed to post here if cant appreciate all things gaming. But what do I know?

DBT85

I would guess there are 3 to a box looking at that image, not 4.

MAX PAYMENT

After reading through a lot of this it's pretty obvious you've never worked retail.

I realize there are going to be packing materials
If it is anything like the previous Xbox systems, they will not have packing inside the brown box. The console boxes are already full of packing, so they just jam those boxes inside the brown box. I'm thinking three Xbox Ones to a brown box.

Brera

Banned
You need to accept that some people don't like certain companies or games or consoles.

Rest of us are entitled to our opinion and voice it as long as we don't attack or troll everyone else.

But I stand by my comment. This is justs trying to be down with the kids and pretending to be open.

You don't see Philips tweeting pix of their latest shaver off the essembly line.

Top Bottom