• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pic of first case of Xbox One off assembly line

18rs76.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What would you do if that truck would have an accident right in front of your home ?

Call the police to report an accident; then wonder why a freight truck was driving on a residential surface street.

Ding

Doing some simple labor logistics , let's say they are running 24/7 at this facility and it's the only line running. 3 seacans filled roughly every 24 hours and october 22nd is the......

[...]

[...]

[...]

Tales from My Ass, part 9? : )

Actually, I appreciate the effort. Also, the term "sea can" is new to me, and is completely awesome. (We call 'em shipping containers 'round these parts.)

Unfortunately, you have no idea how many boxes, pallets, or sea cans are coming off that line daily, and I can assure you that there is more than one factory. (Or will be. They may well start their ramp with just one.)

In general, the amount of production on day (say) 35 will bear very little resemblance to the production on day one. It'll steadily increase to some limit.

Git some exponential functions in there, son!

GodofWine

You GENUINELY did this math based on a photo of a box?

Its pretty amazing what can be figured out once you know how many an fit in a shipping container and where they are coming from...his biggest assumption is how many they are making per day or discounting multiple facilities in production...but it was an intelligent process.

Sony's smaller box suddenly (as I expected and said once..i too am a supplychain guy) pays off in another way - likely fitting hundreds more per shipping container. Size matters in other ways too.

You need to accept that some people don't like certain companies or games or consoles.

Rest of us are entitled to our opinion and voice it as long as we don't attack or troll everyone else.

But I stand by my comment. This is justs trying to be down with the kids and pretending to be open.

You don't see Philips tweeting pix of their latest shaver off the essembly line.

Doubt they go 8 years between shavers. I'm 42, this has me excited.

R-User!

That's four pallets in that pic... Which one is the first pallet? Top left, top right, bottom left, or bottom right?

jaypah

You need to accept that some people don't like certain companies or games or consoles.

Rest of us are entitled to our opinion and voice it as long as we don't attack or troll everyone else.

But I stand by my comment. This is justs trying to be down with the kids and pretending to be open.

You don't see Philips tweeting pix of their latest shaver off the essembly line.

So you don't like MS but came into a MS thread to post negatively? Cool deal.

Dai101

Banned
Tales from My Ass, part 9? : )

Actually, I appreciate the effort. Also, the term "sea can" is new to me, and is completely awesome. (We call 'em shipping containers 'round these parts.)

It's pretty much slang everywhere, also known as freight container, ISO container, shipping container, hi-cube container, box, conex box and sea can

Also, it's a brand
http://www.seacan.com/

LOL

Azull

So wait I missed the official annoucement of nov. 22nd being the release date? Or was that a slip up on nelsons part?

Edit: just saw the thread pop up. I work too much xD.

Timeaisis

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/375297363113680896

@majornelson 9:40 AM
Direct from the factory: The first case of #XboxOne rolls of the assembly line say.ly/GKI6ELY

1S4WnnD.jpg

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/375299181272780800

@majornelson 9:47 AM
The first pallet of #XboxOne prepped and ready to start the journey to retailers for November 22nd mjr.mn/1a6WCI7

6fWfX5Z.jpg

This is pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a picture taken. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed assembly line I’ve ever half-heartedly seen my way through.

Make no mistake; gaming is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible

10/10

-IGN

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70429561&postcount=359

GavinGT

Banned
That box looks far to large to be holding only 1 system inside, I realize there are going to be packing materials but it looks as though at least 2 fully packaged systems are in each of the shipping boxes. The shipping boxes are also on their side and somehow I doubt they'd want the console laying flat inside of a sea can, more downward force on the surface area, kind of like laying a TV flat. It's just easier to break it that way.

I think I'll go with 4 to a box , there are 27 boxes on a pallet and sea cans (the trailer pictured being full of systems) aren't very large, you can stuff 2 rows of 10 pallets but obviously to decrease shifting risk, it's stuffed as full as possible so there could be 40 pallets of Xbox One per seacan(because they have a pallet on top and on the bottom). 4 xbox in each box X 27 per pallet X 40 pallets = over 4000 consoles per sea can.

Doing some simple labor logistics , let's say they are running 24/7 at this facility and it's the only line running. 3 seacans filled roughly every 24 hours and october 22nd is the final day to get them on a ship for day 1 (shipping times by boat are around a month). That gives us roughly 50 days X 3 seacans for 150 total. 150 X 4000 is a reasonable 600,000 systems. The exact math is actually a bit higher then that if there are 4 systems per box.

Based on this, for November 22nd , I'd expect 300,000 systems to be available in the US and Canada and 300,000 being shipped to the other 10 countries in PAL land getting it day 1. The bulk of that is likely going to the UK though, say 50,000 units ? maybe even 100,000 units ?

The reasonable cut off point for 2013 shipments would only be about another 30 days after the day 1 shipments , probably another 300-400,000 consoles shipped in time for christmas.

This would explain why MS delayed release in so many territories. They could be lucky to have a million systems built this year. I'd like to think that they plan to turn on another line in a month though but who knows ? perhaps they had so much trouble building components prior to assembly that they simply don't have the supply needed to build more xbox ones ?

Curious how far along sony is in all of this.

I'm not sure where you got the assumptions of 12,000 units produced per day and only 1 production line.

I can tell you that, as of 12/3/2005, they had at least 9 production lines running for Xbox 360:

novoxboxdadosoj6.jpg

(the first digit of the serial number indicates the production line, and it starts at 0)

Wow, and I remember some people were arguing this was in full production weeks ago when Microsoft showed the Unboxing Video.

Pretty funny!!

Skenzin

Banned
They'll air freight as well. MS did that for 360s first 6 months. I remember my 360 birth date was only like 1-2 weeks old when I got it. Surprised by the late start. I would think they would have started earlier. That said foxconn is way better with short term ramp up then they were in 2005 (thanks Apple).

Wow at the amount of jabs at the Xbox one in EVERY Xbox thread. You shouldn't be allowed to post here if cant appreciate all things gaming. But what do I know?

If one of the per-requisites of posting here was that everyone had to at least own all gaming systems, it would certainly be a better behaved forum. Although, it certainly wouldn't be as entertaining. Would be nice if there was an option to turn off troll posts...and to turn them back on when I want to laugh for a bit (usually at, but sometimes with them).

It is a little ridiculous how much negativity there is here over two photos. But this is the internet. You could make a thread about someone finding a cure for cancer, but if "Xbox One" was in the title (because, let's say the guy/girl made the discovery while playing Xbox One? Yea, I know...kind of a ridiculous example), I'm sure it'd find a way to go off track into troll war territory. Ah...internet.

On topic: I'm just glad to see things are going. Looking forward to November, it's gonna be a crazy month for gaming.

TheOddOne

That box looks far to large to be holding only 1 system inside, I realize there are going to be packing materials but it looks as though at least 2 fully packaged systems are in each of the shipping boxes. The shipping boxes are also on their side and somehow I doubt they'd want the console laying flat inside of a sea can, more downward force on the surface area, kind of like laying a TV flat. It's just easier to break it that way.

I think I'll go with 4 to a box , there are 27 boxes on a pallet and sea cans (the trailer pictured being full of systems) aren't very large, you can stuff 2 rows of 10 pallets but obviously to decrease shifting risk, it's stuffed as full as possible so there could be 40 pallets of Xbox One per seacan(because they have a pallet on top and on the bottom). 4 xbox in each box X 27 per pallet X 40 pallets = over 4000 consoles per sea can.

Doing some simple labor logistics , let's say they are running 24/7 at this facility and it's the only line running. 3 seacans filled roughly every 24 hours and october 22nd is the final day to get them on a ship for day 1 (shipping times by boat are around a month). That gives us roughly 50 days X 3 seacans for 150 total. 150 X 4000 is a reasonable 600,000 systems. The exact math is actually a bit higher then that if there are 4 systems per box.

Based on this, for November 22nd , I'd expect 300,000 systems to be available in the US and Canada and 300,000 being shipped to the other 10 countries in PAL land getting it day 1. The bulk of that is likely going to the UK though, say 50,000 units ? maybe even 100,000 units ?

The reasonable cut off point for 2013 shipments would only be about another 30 days after the day 1 shipments , probably another 300-400,000 consoles shipped in time for christmas.

This would explain why MS delayed release in so many territories. They could be lucky to have a million systems built this year. I'd like to think that they plan to turn on another line in a month though but who knows ? perhaps they had so much trouble building components prior to assembly that they simply don't have the supply needed to build more xbox ones ?

Curious how far along sony is in all of this.
What.

What.

Top Bottom