• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Guy gets 10 dollar tip on $1400 order

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

At least he got tipped.

Probably a school function with a budget or a freaking party where they all pooled their money together. Jesus people are dumbasses.

"Why buy the pizza if you can't give a tip?" Because tips are optional.

They could have only bought 84 pizzas instead of 85. But then little Timmy would've starved to death.

85 pizza for 1400$ is waaaaaay too much.
I paid that for tons more delivered by two huge cars.And the place opened on a sunday morning specialy for the delivery.
This is half of the delivery:

You are right. It comes out to $16.47 per pie and you would expect some price drop after 50 units. Were these giant pizzas? Were there other items delivered or services preformed? Is the manager holding out?

Nose Master

As a pizza driver as my second job this pizza tipping thread pisses me off.

Fun fact:

1. pizza drivers do more than drive pizza, they also cook and clean up around the restaraunt. Considering the amount of work involved, that driver probably made at least a quarter of those pizzas.

2. unlike a mailman, a pizza driver has to pay for their own gas using their own vehicle

3. take out paying for gas in today's economy and you have very little to live off of. This morning I FILLED MY TANK. I spent 5 hours driving around delivering pizzas tonight and ended up with a grand total of 40 bucks. Guess what I'm going to have to spend that money on? MORE GAS.

Fuck.

I just came home from work. 5 hours of driving, almost half a tank gone, 40 dollars in my pocket. It's not worth it. Need a different second job and fuck anyone who says "wah wah, what's the big deal?" The person who tipped is an idiot AND a dick and I hope the people making that pizza sneezed on their food.

Why would you work there, if this is the case? Because you can drive around? You could work at fucking McDonalds and at least get a proper paycheck.

Ianan

Why is this even news? Does this pizza guy honestly think he is entitled to a bigger tip because he delivered that much in pizza's? Even had the nerve of taking a photograph of it. Some people man, some people.

The Adder

Banned
Why is this even news? Does this pizza guy honestly think he is entitled to a bigger tip because he delivered that much in pizza's? Even had the nerve of taking a photograph of it. Some people man, some people.

Where are you from? Judging from the soccer player in your picture, not America, right? RTFT.

Big-E

You probably couldn't pay me 200 dollars to deliver that many pizzas. That would take a lot of effort and the manager should have helped the dude out with such a large order. The fac that he tipped and left such a paltry amount for the given work is insulting and I can guess that the dude is a fucking asshole in life. There is no way that he is not.

The pizza delivery guy was pretty much acting as a mover and people tip movers well. Shitty thing to do.

The Adder

Banned
So this thread is only for Americans? Or can only non-Americans that agree with your point of view post?

That should probably be in the OP, then.

Non-Americans should read the damn topic before commenting since, in the US, delivery people and wait staff are paid BELOW MINIMUM WAGE because of the EXPECTATION OF TIPS.

I wanted to clarify whether or not he was American in order to determine whether he was

A. Uninformed on said situation

B. An asshole

or

C. Both

You probably couldn't pay me 200 dollars to deliver that many pizzas. That would take a lot of effort and the manager should have helped the dude out with such a large order. The fac that he tipped and left such a paltry amount for the given work is insulting and I can guess that the dude is a fucking asshole in life. There is no way that he is not.

The pizza delivery guy was pretty much acting as a mover and people tip movers well. Shitty thing to do.
What if all the staff helped load the car and the people at the delivery address all helped unload? In that situation, where he may have performed slightly more work than a usual delivery, does he still deserve a large tip?

Non-Americans should read the damn topic before commenting since, in the US, delivery people and wait staff are paid BELOW MINIMUM WAGE because of the EXPECTATION OF TIPS.

I wanted to clarify whether or not he was American in order to determine whether he was

A. Uninformed on said situation

B. An asshole

or

C. Both
So you wanted to know if he was wrong, wrong or double wrong? How very charitable.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
He must have done a shit job...or he gets an hour wage....a tip is optional.

edit: I'm a member of UKgaf. We don't tip!

BritGAF Represent!

Never tipped a pizza delivery boy, never will!
Also there is a community thread/safe haven for bros of the British GAFers in community if you're interested!

If the shoe fits.
What I love most about any tipping thread is that it becomes citizens of a nation fighting amongst each other about, whilst simultaneously defending, the act of tipping. Yet, not one single person that is discussing the issue is responsible for the creation nor the perpetuation of the situation.

The issue has arisen because of a lack of government regulation (due to governments "not wanting to interfere with capitalism" i.e. protect big business) combined with businesses constantly finding the most profit possible (i.e. paying people as little as possible). You would think, given the two very visible and identifiable contributing factors of this issue, that the solution, and required action that needs to be undertaken, would be clear.

Instead, they've somehow turned the responsibility to subsidise hospitality wages back onto the citizens. Something that neither the government or businesses are willing to do, and will never do when the public are pressuring each other to do it for them. It's absolutely crazy.

Perhaps, if people put half the effort into changing the system that they put into defending and strong-arming everyone else into supporting, that this wouldn't actually be an issue anymore.

But, you know, whatever, just go back to insulting people that don't support the broken system that no one agrees with.

Wouldn't that be a commission from whatever they are hired to do? Tipping is optional, commissions are forced and written in contracts.

Good point, it isn't optional since it's contractual.

From my point of view, I'm pretty much obligated to tip 15% as a standard, and everything varies from there.

The Adder

Banned
What I love most about any tipping thread is that it becomes citizens of a nation fighting amongst each other about, whilst simultaneously defending, the act of tipping. Yet, not one single person that is discussing the issue is responsible for the creation nor the perpetuation of the situation.

The issue has arisen because of a lack of government regulation (due to governments "not wanting to interfere with capitalism" i.e. protect big business) combined with businesses constantly finding the most profit possible (i.e. paying people as little as possible). You would think, given the two very visible and identifiable contributing factors of this issue, that the solution, and required action that needs to be undertaken, would be clear.

Instead, they've somehow turned the responsibility to subsidise hospitality wages back onto the citizens. Something that neither the government or businesses are willing to do, and will never do when the public are pressuring each other to do it for them. It's absolutely crazy.

Perhaps, if people put half the effort into changing the system that they put into defending and strong-arming everyone else into supporting, that this wouldn't actually be an issue anymore.

But, you know, whatever, just go back to insulting people that don't support the broken system that no one agrees with.

The answer to fixing the system is not "fuck over the people being fucked over by the system, that'll show'em!"

What that is the answer to is "how can I make an excuse for being a cheap asshole?"

People like you are generally the types to bitch about "the system" and then do nothing to change it because as long as it's in place you get to have your cake and eat it too (while not paying the person who brought it to you).

By paying your wait staff you're not "supporting the system," you're operating in reality. You're supporting the system when you vote to keep it in place. Do you really think franchise owners and managers give a shit whether their wait staff got tipped by the jackass at booth three? No, they make their money, and continue to pay said staff below minimum wage, regardless.

Your dickotry isn't fighting the system and it isn't harming the big guy, you're just personally fucking over your waiter like an asshole.

The answer to fixing the system is not "fuck over the people being fucked over by the system, that'll show'em!"

What that is the answer to is "how can I make an excuse for being a cheap asshole?"

People like you are generally the types to bitch about "the system" and then do nothing to change it because as long as it's in place you get to have your cake and eat it too (while not paying the person who brought it to you).

By paying your wait staff you're not "supporting the system," you're operating in reality. You're supporting the system when you vote to keep it in place. Do you really think franchise owners and managers give a shit whether their wait staff got tipped by the jackass at booth three? No, they make their money, and continue to pay said staff below minimum wage, regardless.

Your dickotry isn't fighting the system and it isn't harming the big guy, you're just personally fucking over your waiter like an asshole.
So the only answer to "how do I change the system" is "don't, just stay within the bounds of it and hope it will change next election?"

I would also like to hear more about your baseless assumptions on "people like me" and how I make excuses for "being a cheap asshole."

I would also like to know why you are so pointedly angry at, and cast insults towards, anyone that questions the system. Seriously, did you need to call me an asshole when you know so very little about me? Why are you immediately attacking people for asking questions and voicing opinions?

You may want to look into what course of action people from other countries, across multiple time periods throughout history, have done to change an inequitable and unfair work-for-pay system before you start insulting anyone and everyone that doesn't share your same philosophy. Heaven forbid you might stumble upon some information that may lead you to believe that I wasn't saying that "fucking over your waiter like an asshole" was the answer.

Lastly (and I know I've already said this, but it bears repeating) try to carry on your discussions with a little bit more decorum and respect. Quite frankly your tone is offensive and unnecessary.

The Adder

Banned
So the only answer to "how do I change the system" is "don't, just stay within the bounds of it and hope it will change next election?"

No, the answer is to ACTUALLY WORK TOWARDS CHANGING THE SYSTEM while also NOT SCREWING OVER THE VICTIMS OF THE SYSTEM AS LONG AS SAID SYSTEM REMAINS IN PLACE.

Not paying your wait staff does nothing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to affect change in the system. All it does is let you be a cheapskate.

As for decorum and respect. I have no respect for your stance on the subject, and I therefore have no time for decorum. Problem with that? I'm sorry, but if you can't bother to pay your wait staff a tip, I can't be bothered to pay your feelings attention.

This is why I'm glad I live in a non-tipping custom country. We just give the person doing the service something when we are grateful for the job they did, and nobody minds if we don't.

That's a really big tip just for driving to a house.

What if say an offset printer works on a 30.000 dollar order? should the driver that delivers it get a 3000 dollar tip too?:D

If I ever found out my pizza boy was an entitled greedy shit like the guy the article is about he would never get another tip.

edit: the reactions here are golden.
-"that sounds like a lot of work!" No shit, that's what a job means....
-"I have to pay for my own gas", pizza boys here in Belgium don't have to pay for their own gas, maybe you should go look into joining a union instead of begging people door to door for some monies like a bum.
-sneeze on their food? I hope detective gaf finds out your name and shows this to your employer

I think I'm going to go find a forum where I can talk to people in the horeca business here and see if their attitude is as sickening as yours, if it is then that's the last time I've ever tipped.
I highly doubt it's like that here, several family and friends used to work in horeca and they never bitched about tips or having to work hard.

No, the answer is to ACTUALLY WORK TOWARDS CHANGING THE SYSTEM while also NOT SCREWING OVER THE VICTIMS OF THE SYSTEM AS LONG AS SAID SYSTEM REMAINS IN PLACE.

Not paying your wait staff does nothing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to affect change in the system. All it does is let you be a cheapskate.

As for decorum and respect. I have no respect for your stance on the subject, and I therefore have no time for decorum. Problem with that? I'm sorry, but if you can't bother to pay your wait staff a tip, I can't be bothered to pay your feelings attention.
At no point have I said "don't tip." What I have said, is that I can't understand why it's become a social issue to deal with rather than having the culprits of the system rectify the problem.

However, you seem to be intent on attacking anyone you judge and label as an "asshole" before they've even made their stance clear. You are part of the reason why these thread devolve into needless and unnecessary name calling. There's no discussion here. Just you calling people assholes, a distinct lack of reasoning, repeating the same lines over and over again, if asked to explain further put the same lines of reasoning IN ALL CAPS, finish it all off with a few more insults.

Please, enlighten me, though, as someone "not paying my wait staff" (which I never said I didn't) and doing "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to affect change in the system", what are you, and all the fine citizens doing to affect change in your country. Outside of subsidising offensively low wages and acting offensively/judging everyone who voices that they would actually like to see your country improve their conditions?

Sorry for my offending you by stating that I wish there was more raging against the people responsible for putting people in this position. I fear that I can sometimes be quite the monster.

Just out of curiosity I have a few questions. If tipping is neccessary in the US for certain jobs because the pay is so bad does that mean the food/drinks are actually cheaper than elsewhere or is it just some stupid habit of the owners to maximize profit? Like food/drinks have the same prices but we save a few bucks on each employee? Also if a waiter, pizza delievery driver, etc earn so little do McDonalds employees get a better salary or do those get tips aswell?

I am from Austria and I do tip depending on the service quality but nowehere near 20% since a typical waiter gets 1200€ a month here - so they are not that dependent on (20%) tips. A sales man at Media Markt gets 1340€ without tips so I guess we have quite a balanced system.

Bossun

Someone should make a film titled "Tips in America".

I'm sure it would spark a war between America and the rest of the world.
America saying the rest of the world are jerks, the rest of the world saying America is dumb for paying someone who's already payed to do is job.

The Adder

Banned
Just out of curiosity I have a few questions. If tipping is neccessary in the US for certain jobs because the pay is so bad does that mean the food/drinks are actually cheaper than elsewhere or is it just some stupid habit of the owners to maximize profit? Like food/drinks have the same prices but we save a few bucks on each employee? Also if a waiter, pizza delievery driver, etc earn so little do McDonalds employees get a better salary or do those get tips aswell?

Question 1: A little from column A, a little from column B. It's probably not cheaper than elsewhere, but they'd absolutely use having to pay their employees a fair wage to jack up the price.

Question 2: McDonalds employees make at least minimum wage.

Someone should make a film titled "Tips in America".

I'm sure it would spark a war between America and the rest of the world.
America saying the rest of the world are jerks, the rest of the world saying America is dumb for paying someone who's already payed to do is job.

You're not a jerk for doing it in a country where your waiter is payed fairly. You are dumb.

You're not dumb for doing in the US where they're not. You are a jerk.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The other day we got an Indian take away delivered and instead of us giving them a tip they gave us a free litre bottle of Pepsi.

I heard that in the lands of the US the delivery guy has to pay to do their job (which is crazy) so it is reasonable to expect a tip. However I also think it is fair that after a certain point not to expect 10% or whatever the expected tip rate is but just a maximum tip of say $30.

Question 1: A little from column A, a little from column B. It's probably not cheaper than elsewhere, but they'd absolutely use having to pay their employees a fair wage to jack up the price.

Question 2: McDonalds employees make at least minimum wage.

So it is "legal" to pay someone 2$/hour (I think I read that somewhere) and say "well you will make that up in tips anyway" and then still demand the "regular" price for your food? I would understand that if the food is really cheaper somewhere with "low" wages you tip accordingly - maybe to the extent on what you saved by going there. However basicly cheating your employees and customers by paying less and demanding more sounds really strange to me? I don't think the discussion should be about tips but more about a fair wage.

Brofist

I've said it before and I'll say it again, tipping based on the total dollar amount is idiotic. Being penalized for ordering more, or expensive items doesn't make sense.

But..$10 on a $1400 85 pizza order is pushing it. At the very least a $20 spot should have been given.

Dead Man

Nice. It's like you didn't even read what he posted. There will be little empathy coming your way with that attitude.

daycru

I'm always bewildered by Euros who think how things are done in Sweden has any effect on New Jersey. Your countries mandate that the drivers get a legit wage. This is not the case in the US. The tip IS the wage. Your workers also have more access to social services, health care, etc. But all of this has been said 1000 times and I doubt this post will prevent any further keyboard diarrhea.

That driver makes at least minimum wage. Your delivery guy does not. Unless you live outside of the US, at which point see above.

So stop whining about tips and make sure you get paid minimum wage? that's kind of the definition of minimum wage, that an employer is legally obliged to pay at least this much.

If minimum wage is too low where you live then move to a less third world country area.

The cognitive dissonance to blame random people who buy your food for your employers exploiting you is a mix of sad, hilarious and infuriating.

I'm always bewildered by Euros who think how things are done in Sweden has any effect on New Jersey. Your countries mandate that the drivers get a legit wage. This is not the case in the US. The tip IS the wage. Your workers also have more access to social services, health care, etc. But all of this has been said 1000 times and I doubt this post will prevent any further keyboard diarrhea.
See, this post is exactly what I'm talking about.

Go take it up with your union representative! Get your wages sorted instead of working for free and having to live off of charity that people pay you out of pity.
Your current situation is no different than that of a street bum with a plastic cup in front of them. You are the stray cat people put out a cup of milk for out of pity during winter.

And at all the people who would tamper with someone's food or half ass making it I suggest you climb out of your basement to tell that to your parents so they can slap some common decency and respect for your fellow man into you.

Anyone else amazed by how one and the same culture can have this charity set up to support the poor delivery boys with giant tips and at the same time refuse to pay some taxes to ensure people can get social security and health care? Am I the only one who sees how ironic that is?

daniels

I don’t get the tipping stuff. Why should you tip your Pizza guy but not for example the Postman or Garbage man or Newspaper guy or anyone that lifts a finger for you?
Or are the pro tipping Guys really tipping everyone that lifts a finger for them even if it is their job and you as a customer are not responsible for their wages?

NinjaBoiX

If someone blows 1400 on pizza, what's another 140 for just a 10% tip?
Yeah, it shouldn't need to be proportional to the amount spent.

I live in the UK, and we don't tip automatically here. I have to admit, I find the process of automatically tipping strange.

The entire idea behind tipping, is to give someone who's deserves some extra credit a little extra, to notice their good work. Give them a "tip" if you like.

The US definition just seems to be, "pay a bit of their wages, because they don't make much money." It's seems like an expectation, rather than recognition at this point.

daycru

So stop whining about tips and make sure you get paid minimum wage? that's kind of the definition of minimum wage, that an employer is legally obliged to pay at least this much.

If minimum wage is too low where you live then move to a less third world country area.

The cognitive dissonance to blame random people who buy your food for your employers exploiting you is a mix of sad, hilarious and infuriating.

See, this post is exactly what I'm talking about.

Go take it up with your union representative! Get your wages sorted instead of working for free and having to live off of charity that people pay you out of pity.
Your current situation is no different than that of a street bum with a plastic cup in front of them. You are the stray cat people put out a cup of milk for out of pity during winter.

And at all the people who would tamper with someone's food or half ass making it I suggest you climb out of your basement to tell that to your parents so they can slap some common decency and respect for your fellow man into you.

Anyone else amazed by how one and the same culture can have this charity set up to support the poor delivery boys with giant tips and at the same time refuse to pay some taxes to ensure people can get social security and health care? Am I the only one who sees how ironic that is?
That nonexistent pizza guy union rep is going to do a helluva job "sorting wages."

Shinjica

Yeah, it shouldn't need to be proportional to the amount spent.

I live in the UK, and we don't tip automatically here. I have to admit, I find the process of automatically tipping strange.

The entire idea behind tipping, is to give someone who's deserves some extra credit a little extra, to notice their good work. Give them a "tip" if you like.

The US definition just seems to be, "pay a bit of their wages, because they don't make much money." It's seems like an expectation, rather than recognition at this point.

No it's simply an excuse to do nothing for this kind of worker.

Minimum wages??? Too difficult

That nonexistent pizza guy union rep is going to do a helluva job "sorting wages."

Sorry for assuming you have unions there like the rest of the developed world:\ I genuinly had no idea.

In that case you need to go back to square 1 and strike like the world did at the end of the 19th century to get some worker's rights and unions.
Not being fascetious, I can't believe you don't have a union... how is that even possible.

hodgy100

in this case its a poor tip, and almost insulting really considering the effort it takes to deliver that many pizzas.

On the other hand, tipping shouldn't be mandatory but only for cases where a higher than usual level of custom was displayed.

daycru

Sorry for assuming you have unions there like the rest of the developed world:\ I genuinly had no idea.

In that case you need to go back to square 1 and strike like the world did at the end of the 19th century to get some worker's rights and unions.
Not being fascetious, I can't believe you don't have a union... how is that even possible.
Something like 11% of US workers belong to a union. Most states have what's called "at will employment", where you can be fired for any reason, or no reason, at any time. Worker leverage is at an all time low. I guess they could strike, but you don't understand the American mentality. There is NO solidarity. That job would be someone else's by the end of the day.

NinjaBoiX

Mr White: "Waitressing is a hard job..."

Mr Pink: "So is working at McDonalds, but you don't feel the need to tip them. Society says, 'don't tip these guys over there, but tip these guys here'. It's bullshit."

Indeed it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom