• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Guy gets 10 dollar tip on $1400 order

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrowa

Pizza drivers make pizzas too. This guy probably made a bunch of these pizzas considering the order. Do you really think pizza drivers ONLY drive pizza around or are you just that naive?

I've never heard of a Pizza driver making pizza himself. Normally these guys are on the road all the time while the people who are actually making the pizza are busy making, you know, pizzas.

Opiate

A tipping system is superior to a wage system in many regards. It often results in higher wages for the employees. A store owner will obviously work hard to make sure his employees get as little as possible without damaging work flow; customers paying employees directly are typically as frugal.

It also rewards diligent workers well, and rewards them more immediately. You don't have to work hard for an entire year in the hopes that maybe at the end of it there will be a salary increase; the reward for good work is provided right then and there. Good waiters get better tips. If you decide to slouch off the next day, tips will likely go down. Work hard the day after that, tips will likely go back up again. Immediate, direct incentive to work hard right now, and not just a month before review and hope the manager forgets the previous 11 months.

Not to suggest a salary system doesn't have it's benefits, too. A hybrid system, as we have here in the US for waiters and a few other workers, strikes me as the best option available. Some salary as a baseline, and tips to incentive hard work and increase overall worker pay beyond what they'd get if they were salaried only. I am not only against getting rid of the tipping system, I am for implementing it in more places than we already have it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Sometimes when orders are slow, we help around the store. We separate wings, cook wings, do the dishes, cook pizzas, make the pizzas, and box the food. Standing around while waiting for your order to come in helps no one. Due to the number of pizzas, this store would have dedicate a lot of man hours to just making the order, meaning, the driver would have nothing to do EXCEPT help make the pizzas.

You're a pizza driver? Please don't touch my food. =/

Zeppu

WHAT

16" pizzas for each person?? As in diameter?

Maybe a bit less actually. I'd say about 30-35cm. Not pan though.

Haha what the fuck is wrong with your company? That doesn't make any frugal sense.

Here everyone always takes his own pizza everywhere. The whole 'get a larger one and share' mentality just doesn't exist anywhere at all. If you want to share just exchange slices.

I feel like I'm talking about completely different types of pizza here. Cultural differences, I guess.

I think the whole tipping concept as established in the US is fucked up. Service workers should be paid (salary I mean) what they deserve and not less to not live without knowing exactly what they'll be getting at the end of the month. Also, I simply refuse tipping after bad service, I just find that inacceptable.

Here in Europe we do tip too (less than 20% normally) and we're not expected to tip by default but only if we're satisfied with the service, which is I think is the way tipping should work!

fader

Tip is usually 15% of the total order so he should have gotten a little over 200 bucks. highway robbery...

Future

Wait, you are supposed to tip a percentage to the pizza guy?? Do people tip bartenders percentages as well?

I always toss a few bucks for the service and nothing more, unlike when in the restaraunt

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wait, you are supposed to tip a percentage to the pizza guy?? Do people tip bartenders percentages as well?

I always toss a few bucks for the service and nothing more, unlike when in the restaraunt

You're supposed to tip what you want lol. There's no rule or law. Even in a restaurant. Hell nowadays a pizza driver does more for me than a waiter in a restaurant. They take my order but then someone else brings my food or checks in on me and then they just come back in the end. Yeah.. here's $2 for ya..

trixx

I don't know what to say on the topic. Personally I don't eat at classy restaurants or call for delivery.

I have a question, am I supposed to tip the barber who charges me $20 for a haircut that was done in less than half an hour while I make less than 12 an hour?

surrogate

A tipping system is superior to a wage system in many regards. It often results in higher wages for the employees. A store owner will obviously work hard to make sure his employees get as little as possible without damaging work flow; customers paying employees directly are typically as frugal.

It also rewards diligent workers well, and rewards them more immediately. You don't have to work hard for an entire year in the hopes that maybe at the end of it there will be a salary increase; the reward for good work is provided right then and there. Good waiters get better tips. If you decide to slouch off the next day, tips will likely go down. Work hard the day after that, tips will likely go back up again. Immediate, direct incentive to work hard right now, and not just a month before review and hope the manager forgets the previous 11 months.

Not to suggest a salary system doesn't have it's benefits, too. A hybrid system, as we have here in the US for waiters and a few other workers, strikes me as the best option available. Some salary as a baseline, and tips to incentive hard work and increase overall worker pay beyond what they'd get if they were salaried only. I am not only against getting rid of the tipping system, I am for implementing it in more places than we already have it.

What you describe is how it should work in theory, but will never work in practice for everyone. There will always be some who get severely underpaid even if they do perform well, while others may get well above what is fair for mediocre service due to circumstances they have little control over (price of the meal, generosity of the customer). I don't necessarily disagree that a hybrid system can work, just that the baseline wages should be a larger share of compensation than they are now.

I've never heard of a Pizza driver making pizza himself. Normally these guys are on the road all the time while the people who are actually making the pizza are busy making, you know, pizzas.

Then you're ignorant just as everyone else assuming all pizza delivery people do is deliver. Much of this thread has talking out of ass syndrome.

You're supposed to tip what you want lol. There's no rule or law. Even in a restaurant. Hell nowadays a pizza driver does more for me than a waiter in a restaurant. They take my order but then someone else brings my food or checks in on me and then they just come back in the end. Yeah.. here's $2 for ya..

There's a social contract that stipulates anywhere from 15-20% as the standard, depending on where you are.

Now, you can ignore that, but that makes you an asshole.

Seanspeed

Banned
There's a thing called tipping etiquette. You're free to be a cheap asshole, but just like freedom of speech, people have the freedom to think you're a cheap asshole because of it, too.

EDIT: Looks like Southern Dragon pretty much said the same thing 2 posts above already!

Seanspeed

Banned
How many trips did the guy make back and forth? 85 pizzas is alot, he had to have made more than one trip.

Thats probably what I would base my higher tip on. Its not 85x the work, but he'd definitely deserve a good bit extra for loading/unloading and making any required extra trips.

I'd probably go with $50-100 tip for that. Even if it took like 2 hours altogether, that'd still be making out pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom