• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Ducayne

ugh.. I'm really bummed that I didn't use my 10% Best Buy coupon that expired in June.

Apparently Best Buy sent more 10% coupons on 7/7, but I didn't receive one.

Anyone get one in their inbox that they won't use? Trying to get dat P65-C1.

Kyoufu

Someone on the AVS forum is claiming the new Sony FALD TV will support Dolby Vision. If that's true and Sony are going to be supporting it then that bodes well for PS4K/Neo also supporting it. Fingers crossed.

And apparently it does indeed have 1000 zones + 4000 nits. Going to be interesting to see how it stacks up against OLED.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Someone on the AVS forum is claiming the new Sony FALD TV will support Dolby Vision. If that's true and Sony are going to be supporting it then that bodes well for PS4K/Neo also supporting it. Fingers crossed.

And apparently it does indeed have 1000 zones + 4000 nits. Going to be interesting to see how it stacks up against OLED.

Wonderful news

ukas

sector4

Yeah people on AVS should relax a bit. There's no such a thing as a OLED killer, as much as they seem to like this word, because the tech is pretty new and it will always improve with new gens. I don't think this Sony will be even as good as the E6, let alone future OLEDs, because even with all those things there are some flaws in the LED tech that will still be there, no matter what you do. And no, it won't have black levels on par with a tech that TURNS OFF pixels to display a black image, not even with 1000 local dimming zones.
You can understand the excitement though, as I believe even the LG OLEDs aren't without their own issues and a lot of people over there have tried and been disappointed with them.

The one thing any of the LG OLEDs won't be able to match for sure is the brightness of this panel if it turns out to be true, if it has that going for it as well as "near" OLED blacks, it will have much higher contrast, and therefore be better suited to displaying HDR content.

People even say the X940D has incredible black levels and that only has 52 zones iirc.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
You can understand the excitement though, as I believe even the LG OLEDs aren't without their own issues and a lot of people over there have tried and been disappointed with them.

The one thing any of the LG OLEDs won't be able to match for sure is the brightness of this panel if it turns out to be true, if it has that going for it as well as "near" OLED blacks, it will have much higher contrast, and therefore be better suited to displaying HDR content.

People even say the X940D has incredible black levels and that only has 52 zones iirc.

AVS seems pretty god damn happy with the G/E/C/B 6s.

the last year's models had their issues (banding, vignetting) but it seems as if LG finally hit it this year

sector4

AVS seems pretty god damn happy with the G/E/C/B 6s.

the last year's models had their issues (banding, vignetting) but it seems as if LG finally hit it this year
No doubt! I don't have any first hand experience with them, so I'm just going off what I've read over there, but I was under the impression some people still weren't happy with the motion handling and upscaling on the LG OLEDs, and still give Sony the edge in those two areas.

DEO3

I can't afford this year's OLEDs, so I'm thinking of purchasing last year's 65EF9500 for $2,700. My only concern is its support of HDR 10 but not Dolby Vision. Since that format war is only just beginning, I'd like to have all my bases covered. Is it possible for a streaming box such as a Roku or Shield convert Dolby Vision streams to HDR 10, to then pass onto the television?

ukas

I can't afford this year's OLEDs, so I'm thinking of purchasing last year's 65EF9500 for $2,700. My only concern is its support of HDR 10 but not Dolby Vision. Since that format war is only just beginning, I'd like to have all my bases covered. Is it possible for a streaming box such as a Roku or Shield convert Dolby Vision streams to HDR 10, to then pass onto the television?

Nope. DV requires hardware for encoding/decoding on both ends of the connection (TV and device connected to it). Which neither the Roku, Shield, or the 65EF9500 have. The only other TVs that have both would be the Visio P series.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

not by converting DV.

That said, many HDR sources will probably encode for both, in theory. UHD Blu-Rays will always have HDR10, and some sources right now out there are HDR10 only.

Assumption will be that most content providers will want to provide HDR to both.

but it's early days

LG EC9300 OLED

Two things...

1- I tried to use Screen share so that i could have my Surface Pro on my EC9300 but when it starts connecting it it just shows a black screen and nothing happens. Eventually it just says it can't connect to the Miracast device. Any way to fix this? It would be great to easily have my Surface content on the big screen this way...if it worked. I am sure with a HDMI cable it would work..but if it can be done wirelessly....

Actually the error i get is..''we can't mirror your device screen connection via Miracast. Check your device.''

2- The mic button on the smaller remote. It just doesn't work. This is meant for voice control, but it does nothing when i press and/or hold it.

mr stroke

Got the LG 55" OLED set up as a monitor

yfMWv6t.jpg

6PbeVLF.jpg

V2OMjYl.jpg

3fKsDB5.jpg

Used a VESA adapater from Amazon+Monoprice monitor arm to mount on my desk with out the stand
Distance from eyes is about 28" :p

shockdude

I got a simple TV console from a friend, and so I'm considering getting a HDTV for PC gaming and the occasional movie. Are there any TVs that might fit my needs? Thanks.
  • I live in the USA.
  • Input latency is the number one priority. Preferably sub 20ms.
  • Good-enough IQ even with Game Mode and disabled processing, preferably on par with a PC monitor.
  • The game/PC mode shouldn't lock down essential settings like color temperature, noise reduction, sound EQ, etc.
  • LCD/LED.
  • Native 60Hz is fine.
  • 1080p is preferred. 4K only if the upscaling is good and if it comes with HDR.
  • Speaker quality doesn't matter too much, so long as there are sufficient connectors for external speakers (3.5mm, optical, ARC, etc).
  • I'm ok with any TV 40" or larger. The TV console is 42"x14" and can support up to 50 pounds.

ReaperM3

Neo Member
Does anyone game on a Samsung 65KS8000? I'm looking at getting a new TV in the next couple weeks and wanted to know how this TV performed. I'm also deciding between this or the Sony 930D. Anyone have any experience between the 2?

dsk1210

Got the LG 55" OLED set up as a monitor

yfMWv6t.jpg

6PbeVLF.jpg

V2OMjYl.jpg

3fKsDB5.jpg

Used a VESA adapater from Amazon+Monoprice monitor arm to mount on my desk with out the stand
Distance from eyes is about 28" :p

Looks awesome sitting like that.

I use mine as a monitor as well. Never really had image retention although I do notice a little banding while playing Inside.

Edit: I just noticed the hatch for passing food thorough as well. Perfect!

BruceCLea

Banned
Really interested in the LG OLED B6 55"...are there any reviews or impressions somewhere? Does anybody own one? I know that it's virtually identical to the C6 except for the curve...any impressions would be nice! Thanks

ukas

Really interested in the LG OLED B6 55"...are there any reviews or impressions somewhere? Does anybody own one? I know that it's virtually identical to the C6 except for the curve...any impressions would be nice! Thanks

Input lag is higher than the C6 at ~50ms and there's no 3D.

Apoc87

Banned
I have a samsung plasma tv from 2010, yes i know its old. The past couple of years there have been black speckles in the green-colored areas of the picture, but its getting very bad now, large volume of speckles in the green areas all of the time. What causes this, and what can i do if anything to fix it?

Lethal

Neo Member
I guess these aren't for sale anywhere except China and HK, but these LeTV models are crazy cheap. I can't seem to find any English language site, but they are all huge, 4K sets. Get a 55 inch for 800usd. Local forums seem to say the quality is good but I don't trust them until they get out into the world proper.

Impulsor

I'm looking to get one of two models right now.

Gaming and movies is the most improtant for me.

Samsung 55KS9000 vs LG 55ec930v OLED

I know for a fact that the samsung has way less input lag. I think it as 21 ms vs 50 ms of the LG. But of course, the LG is OLED.

Are these two chocies good ones?

I really don't care that much about 3d, but I'm scared the LG's input lag will make me not enjoy games as much. I come from a Panasonic Plasma tv. (VT20)

OCD Guy

I have a samsung plasma tv from 2010, yes i know its old. The past couple of years there have been black speckles in the green-colored areas of the picture, but its getting very bad now, large volume of speckles in the green areas all of the time. What causes this, and what can i do if anything to fix it?

It sounds like misfiring. If that is the case, then the ONLY thing that can fix it is an adjustment of the voltages, which isn't something you could do yourself unless you were really sure of what you were doing.

Kazooie

Banned
I'm in the UK looking to upgrade to a 40" (or smaller) 4k tv with HDR and a built in Freeview HD tuner.

Low imput lag required as it will primarily be used to game/watch media on a One S/Scorpio.

Any recommendations in the £400-£500 price range?

flozuki

Yeah people on AVS should relax a bit. There's no such a thing as a OLED killer, as much as they seem to like this word, because the tech is pretty new and it will always improve with new gens. I don't think this Sony will be even as good as the E6, let alone future OLEDs, because even with all those things there are some flaws in the LED tech that will still be there, no matter what you do. And no, it won't have black levels on par with a tech that TURNS OFF pixels to display a black image, not even with 1000 local dimming zones.

It will be a beast of a LED TV (with a beast price), no doubt about that, but let's try to be reasonable and not overhype new stuff.

I agree with you but still that Sony TV sounds so "over the top" that I can´t wait to see how this works. Hopefully they either magically fixed the Android TV-software or use something different.

Hopefully, it will just support both.

You will always find people that are disappointed with tech (especially in hifi forums, but I still love browsing there^^). I for one can say that the E6 is the first TV in about 10 years where I don´t have anything to complain about. But I was kind of "nervous" when I read that some people had no ideal panels, etc. Lucky me fortunately has none of these issues after trying a lot of TVs this year I can finally rest until the next big thing will arrive in a few years and I need to buy it ;-)

ACH1LL3US

I'm looking to get one of two models right now.

Gaming and movies is the most improtant for me.

Samsung 55KS9000 vs LG 55ec930v OLED

I know for a fact that the samsung has way less input lag. I think it as 21 ms vs 50 ms of the LG. But of course, the LG is OLED.

Are these two chocies good ones?

I really don't care that much about 3d, but I'm scared the LG's input lag will make me not enjoy games as much. I come from a Panasonic Plasma tv. (VT20)

the ec9300 has 29ms of input lag, I posted pics of it with my Leo Bodnar if you search my posts.

Having said that, for some reason having tried the ks9000, I would say it is far better for console games as the lag felt significantly less then the ec9300, regardless what the the Leo Bondar was telling me.

If you plan on using pc gaming, I would go ec9300 as turning vsync off or using fast sync will make the lag not be an issue. With consoles your stuck with vsync on and cant reduce the lag, so console gaming I would go ks9000.

I desperately want an OLED panel but I just can't stand sample-and-hold blur. Why is no one doing some sort of BFI implementation on OLED? Or are they?

flozuki

I desperately want an OLED panel but I just can't stand sample-and-hold blur. Why is no one doing some sort of BFI implementation on OLED? Or are they?

I guess if you prefer the duplicated look (e.g. bfi) Panasonic (I think the current P-OLED has no bfi) and Philips are your only chances. Philips has revealed they are releasing OLEDs this year. Or you can try to get one of the old Samsung OLEDs (but I wouldn´t recommend that because they had a lot of flaws as far as I remember).

You mean regarding "duplicated" look? It wasn´t my intention to kind of judge this, as far as I know this is the technical term?
I assumed you were talking about the double image effect you get when running 30fps on a strobed 60Hz display. It doesn't look 'duplicated' at 60fps/60Hz but you will obviously have flicker.

Impulsor

the ec9300 has 29ms of input lag, I posted pics of it with my Leo Bodnar if you search my posts.

Having said that, for some reason having tried the ks9000, I would say it is far better for console games as the lag felt significantly less then the ec9300, regardless what the the Leo Bondar was telling me.

If you plan on using pc gaming, I would go ec9300 as turning vsync off or using fast sync will make the lag not be an issue. With consoles your stuck with vsync on and cant reduce the lag, so console gaming I would go ks9000.

So the KS9000 is a good choice for a good gaming TV with all rund great performance then?

Rodin

Contrast is unmeasurable on OLED because the black is truly black. Brightness will be much better for sure, but OLED do very well in HDR content because the brightness they can reach is more than adequate considering black levels.

Anyway i'm pretty excited as well to see how the Sony will fare, i just don't like buzzwords :p

I agree with you but still that Sony TV sounds so "over the top" that I can´t wait to see how this works. Hopefully they either magically fixed the Android TV-software or use something different.
Same. I have at least one tv to buy (likely two, one for my living room and another one for my bedroom), and i won't write LED off if they have good things to offer. I can't afford an E6 (and another tv) right now, but i doubt the Sony will be cheaper, so maybe i'm gonna have to go with another EG9100. Maybe even a KS8000, because if there's something i don't like about OLED is that you have to use it for 300 hours before you can crank up OLED light (i want it at 54 for movies/tv series/etc and 65 for games), to avoid ir and burn in.

Currently my plan is to buy one of these tv and put it in the room where i spend more time watching it, and then buy a top OLED from LG/Panasonic next year and move the TV i buy now in the other room.

29? I read it was around 37-39 in many reviews.

EDIT:

Missed this. Jesus dude, now you make me want to use my EG9100 as a monitor. But then i'll have to buy 3 TVs!

Does it hurt your eyes from that distance?

BruceCLea

Banned
The sound is good and easily better than most TV speakers out there but it's never going to beat a dedicated sound system.

How does the tv handle PC games? I have a rig and do you utilize Game Mode and the input lag is the same as reported? Or does the input lag get worse?

LastNac

Picked up a 65KS8500.

Currently TV illiterate, does anyone have any suggestions for calibration? Mostly play PS4 abd XB1 so game centric settings would be the preference.

I can't believe how good my KS7000 (KS8000) is for the price. I don't know if I got lucky but there's zero banding or blooming issues on my set and the blacks and colours are fantastic. Even at 20 backlight with HDR content and in a dark room. It works fantastic as a PC monitor too in Chroma 4:4:4. I'm really happy with it!

ukas

Maybe even a KS8000, because if there's something i don't like about OLED is that you have to use it for 300 hours before you can crank up OLED light (i want it at 54 for movies/tv series/etc and 65 for games), to avoid ir and burn in.

There is no break in period, at least for the 2016's. I've been playing games on my E6 since I hooked it up. Also, unless you're doing something very extreme or intentionally trying to cause IR, it's very unlikely to happen, permanently anyway. The 2016's scrub the screen after every 4 hours of use and then a longer compensation cycle after 2000 hours. Or if you are really want to you can start a compensation cycle manually. I think I've done a manual cycle once and have clocked over 700 hours on mine since getting it in April.

Top Bottom