• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Picked up a KS8000. Does anyone have any suggestions for calibration?

There's some settings here. It's the UK KS7000 but is the same as US KS8000 if that's your TV. I tried them but personally didn't like the softer look of the Movie mode, but that's just me. It's somewhere to start anyway!

MazeHaze

Banned
Thank you man. That's a relief to hear.

Just need that Xone S now.

And thanks to Kyoufu and Caayn too. This community is really awesome to have because these sets are really expensive and complicated and your knowledge is great to have.
On the ks8000 you cant view hdr content in game mode, it automatically switches to movie when it detects hdr content. Games don't really need HDR in my opinion though.

On the ks8000 you cant view hdr content in game mode, it automatically switches to movie when it detects hdr content. Games don't really need HDR in my opinion though.

Did you test this yourself? Rtings and Digitalfernsehen.de say game mode can be enabled for HDR sources.

Apoc87

Banned
I have one single dead pixel in a 6 month old vizio 43" lcd tv. Vizio won't cover one single dead pixel, tech support said I have to have 5 or more before they can warrant a repair. Does this sound accurate? are dead pixels in lcds common?

Fitts

I have one single dead pixel in a 6 month old vizio 43" lcd tv. Vizio won't cover one single dead pixel, tech support said I have to have 5 or more before they can warrant a repair. Does this sound accurate? are dead pixels in lcds common?

Are dead pixels common? Not really, but that's standard for a manufacturer warranty. This is where a third party warranty can be of benefit. (but many do contain similar limitations)

While you don't really have a leg to stand on it's not unheard of to have an exception made. If you really want it taken care of, plead your case with both Vizio and the retailer who sold you the television. Be assertive and take it through the chain of command until someone just doesn't want to deal with it anymore and caves.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is the only difference between the Vizio M and P series the number of active LED zones? I'm leaning toward the M because it offers 120Hz in 50 inches.

Is the only difference between the Vizio M and P series the number of active LED zones? I'm leaning toward the M because it offers 120Hz in 50 inches.
I'm deciding between the same two models as well.

M series has HDR, P series has HDR plus "wide color gamut."

Not sure what exactly that means and without being able to see the same content on both TVs side by side it's hard to tell how big a difference it makes, but the HDR demo I saw on a P series looked pretty incredible.

Sounds like it's time to go kill some pixels. That's weird as hell though. I hope it works out.

I'm deciding between the same two models as well.

M series has HDR, P series has HDR plus "wide color gamut."

Not sure what exactly that means and without being able to see the same content on both TVs side by side it's hard to tell how big a difference it makes, but the HDR demo I saw on a P series looked pretty incredible.

I read a review saying to be wary of the M series since it's 8-bit instead of 10-bit or 12-bit if I'm not mistaken. Apparently that makes HDR content look better. I'll try to find the link.

Edit: P series is 10-bit by the way.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I read a review saying to be wary of the M series since it's 8-bit instead of 10-bit or 12-bit if I'm not mistaken. Apparently that makes HDR content look better. I'll try to find the link.

Edit: P series is 10-bit by the way.
I haven't been able to find any reviews of the 2016 M series. How could it support HDR if it's only 8-bit?

I was also under the impression that the P series was 12 bit.

asdad123

Bit the bullet on a LG 65E6P. Got it for $4600 after taxes from Amazon prime through the warehouse deals (normally $6000 plus tax so about $1800 cheaper than normal). Figuring the better speakers and picture is worth it over the KS9000.

Description says "small scratches, less than 1/4" x 1/4" on top and back of item" Nothing on the screen. Probably something I can't even notice. We'll see on the 23rd lol.

Made the delivery a week earlier than the KS9000. If this one is in good condition, I'll cancel the samsung.

Any good channels on Youtube to view 4k content? Seems like i need to search for something in order to filter it 4k. I can't just have an option to see 'all channels with 4k content'

Been reading reviews on the Vizio P-series. Two reviews in particular pointed out that while the tv accepts a 4:4:4 signal @4K the tv only displays 4:2:2. This makes a difference to me at least when used for PC gaming.
I thought this statement was a little funny. RTings has been dropping the ball on some things lately. I'm not quite understanding why.

Leave it up to AVSForum to debunk this.

And SamuraiG0SU, I've just been able to do what you do to get 4K videos. I wish there was a way to filter them out somehow, too.

Meh3D

I thought this statement was a little funny. RTings has been dropping the ball on some things lately. I'm not quite understanding why.

Leave it up to AVSForum to debunk this.

And SamuraiG0SU, I've just been able to do what you do to get 4K videos. I wish there was a way to filter them out somehow, too.

That link says it was updated two hours ago. I have my doubts concerning RTIBGS.com being malicious. (They rated the TV quite high for video games ) From reading his post he also mentions a software bug and having to go through steps to reset the TV if you're not getting the proper output. There is more to the story. I hope RTINGS.com revisits this soon.

Meanwhile I returning the HK450 wireless sound bar I bought. A 4K HDR receiver is what I'll need it looks like.

flozuki

That's what the guy was complaining about, the fact that it wasn't true HDR. I'm still trying to find that link.

http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m-series-2016/

This isn't the link I was referring to, but touches on the issue as well.

Panasonic is also offering HDR on their 8bit-Panels (e.g. DXW784 in Europe). And they are doing a fine job of emulating HDR, kind of an "HDR-Ready-TV" (compared to HD ready and Full HD TVs at the beginning of the HD era).

Bit the bullet on a LG 65E6P. Got it for $4600 after taxes from Amazon prime through the warehouse deals (normally $6000 plus tax so about $1800 cheaper than normal). Figuring the better speakers and picture is worth it over the KS9000.

Description says "small scratches, less than 1/4" x 1/4" on top and back of item" Nothing on the screen. Probably something I can't even notice. We'll see on the 23rd lol.

Made the delivery a week earlier than the KS9000. If this one is in good condition, I'll cancel the samsung.

Just speaking for the 55E6 (And hoping you won't have any problems with the same unit in 65): This is as good as it gets right now. Enjoy it, I love that TV and after weeks of testing fortunately not a single fault in my unit. I haz a happy^^

From reading his post he also mentions a software bug. There is more to the story. I hope RTINGS.com revisits this soon.
Yes, but the software bug van be easily fixed via firmware updates. The P-Series is, what, maybe 3 months old and has seen two firmware updates. Plenty more to go, including the coveted HDR10 update. I just wanted to make sure your incorrect blanket statement doesn't negatively influence anyone from looking into the P-Series.

And I wouldn't hedge my bets on RTings revisiting it. The reported that the TV hits ~86% of the DCI-P3 color space, yet Vizio's engineers consistently get 92-93%. When Matt McRae, Vizio's CTO, reached out to them to see learn more about their testing methods and how they got number, he went unanswered. And that was easily two months ago.

I value RTings, but lately I've found them to be sloppy.

Meh3D

Yes, but the software bug van be easily fixed via firmware updates. The P-Series is, what, maybe 3 months old and has seen two firmware updates. Plenty more to go, including the coveted HDR10 update. I just wanted to make sure your incorrect blanket statement doesn't negatively influence anyone from looking into the P-Series.

And I wouldn't hedge my bets on RTings revisiting it. The reported that the TV hits ~86% of the DCI-P3 color space, yet Vizio's engineers consistently get 92-93%. When Matt McRae, Vizio's CTO, reached out to them to see learn more about their testing methods and how they got number, he went unanswered. And that was easily two months ago.

I value RTings, but lately I've found them to be sloppy.

Whoa there. I was citing exactly what I read. No need to try to attack there or take it personal.

Kyoufu

Just speaking for the 55E6 (And hoping you won't have any problems with the same unit in 65): This is as good as it gets right now. Enjoy it, I love that TV and after weeks of testing fortunately not a single fault in my unit. I haz a happy^^

My 65" should arrive this weekend or shortly after and I'm pretty worried it'll have all kinds of issues. Large OLED panels feel like a lottery.

I wish Vizio's TV lineup was simpler.

M55 has HDR, VA panel, and is 60hz.

P50 has HDR plus "high color gamut," VA panel, and is 60hz

P55 is same as above but an IPS panel and 120hz

After viewing them more I'm not convinced that the P series looks quite a bit better, especially with HDR content. Black levels are pretty insane. And I'm able to get the 55". But I usually play games at night and apparently the VA panels are better for that. On the other hand, 120hz would be a nice feature to have too.

Is 120hz worth it to play movies at 24fps or is it not that big a deal? I thought that that was the key selling point of 120hz TVs but a lot of tech sites seem to say 120hz isn't really necessary.

Also does 120hz have any benefit for gaming? I've heard that playing games with steady 30/60fps frame rates in 120hz mode makes them feel a lot smoother, as if they are running at a higher fps. True or bs?

x3sphere

I just tried out the 3D with Avatar on my C6 OLED, looks absolutely stellar. I've never been too impressed by 3D movies before. Always seemed like the image quality hit was not worth it, combined with crosstalk issues.

On this TV, zero crosstalk and the image quality looks just as sharp as it does in 2D. Actually excited for that Star Wars: TFA Blu-ray in 3D now.

irriadin

Just got the Samsung KS8000, 60". I was waffling between that and the Vizio P65 for a long time. Not sure if I'll miss that extra 5" in screen size, but I can always return it and get the P65 if I change my mind in the next two weeks.

sector4

Also does 120hz have any benefit for gaming? I've heard that playing games with steady 30/60fps frame rates in 120hz mode makes them feel a lot smoother, as if they are running at a higher fps. True or bs?
Nope, 120hz is motion interpolation, it adds in extra frames for smoother motion but adds input lag, as such is a big no no for gaming or movies. It's main use is for sports :)

Edit: Sorry I think I was mistaken, it looks like the panel itself is 120hz, in which case it can accept higher framerates, but that won't be useful to you unless you have a PC that can achieve those. Usually when company's market their tvs with a high Hz rating (200hz, Motionflow 800 etc) it's referring to their motion enhancing, which is a no go for gaming.

Just as an update for anyone using a 2016 LG OLED with a PC - nvidia driver update did default digital audio to ON, so I had to manually change it back. Even if you dismiss the HD audio driver it still does it.

finalflame

Hey guys.

So there was a recent deal at Dell where they put up an LG 65UH6550 for $1049 with a promotional $300 GC. At least that's what the page said.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8915419-lg-...-smart-tv-300-dell-gc-for-1-050-free-shipping

I went ahead and ordered it, but for everyone who ordered it turned out the confirmation was for a 65UH5500. I can barely find any information on the 5500 -- other than it also has HDR Pro and a 60hz refresh rate, but seemingly no simulated 120hz (which I don't care for). There is no info on the feature-set outside of that, panel type, etc, and it's not on LG's website :/

Any recommendations on whether I should keep it or try to get a free return? For $1050 - $300 GC - $75 that Dell offered to give me if I decided to keep it and not return it, is it maybe still a good deal?

What bothers me is that I can't find a full spec sheet on it...and am kind of hesitant to even take it out of the box to check the image quality.

Thoughts?

Dead

well not really...yet
Sony 65ZD9 supposedly being announced very soon. Apparently an OLED killer.

Supposedly stacked dual LCD panels, with 2nd panel as backlight only. ~1000 zones, up to 4000 nits at max capacity (4x samsung KS9800). No Blooming, OLED level blacks with LED brightness. According to some posts on AVS at least.

Was going to buy a Samsung KS9800 for gaming, but might hold off now and see what happens with thi

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Supposedly stacked dual LCD panels, with 2nd panel as backlight only. ~1000 zones, up to 4000 nits at max capacity (4x samsung KS9800). No Blooming, OLED level blacks with LED brightness. According to some posts on AVS at least.

Was going to buy a Samsung KS9800 for gaming, but might hold off now and see what happens with thi

the price tag on that thing, if it's real, and with those specs, will be insane

That sounds amazing. And probably quite expensive, heh.

Dead

well not really...yet
the price tag on that thing, if it's real, and with those specs, will be insane
Supposedly price tag should be around current OLEDs like the E6 or maybe even C6. Not too bad if it really is an Oled killer. A few Euro sites already have listings for 3500-4000 euro

Kyoufu

They had a prototype of it at CES 2016. I doubt it'll be ready for release any time soon and 1000 zones does seem somewhat unlikely to me, but we'll see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFis__LBqJA

I'd be surprised if it released before CES 2017.

Fitts

If it features a good implementation of black frame insertion (Sony's "impulse mode") this could be a winner.

Jigolo

Sony doing something crazy things as always lol

BruceCLea

Banned
Does anybody else have the Sony X850D SUHD TV? I've got a deal on either the 55 or 65 inch. $1,115 for the 55" or $1,600 for the 65". Would you guys recommend this TV? It seems really solid and this seems like a great deal.

Dead

well not really...yet
I hope Sony is smart enough to improve input lag on whatever that OLED killer is compared to their current TVs. Major deal breaker.
Yeah, 65X930D is like 50ms. Gross

If this new set is as good as its being hyped and its ~20ms, Ill buy it

sector4

Does anybody else have the Sony X850D SUHD TV? I've got a deal on either the 55 or 65 inch. $1,115 for the 55" or $1,600 for the 65". Would you guys recommend this TV? It seems really solid and this seems like a great deal.

Just be wary that it's an IPS panel (better viewing angles, but not as good contrast or black levels) and it's a semi gloss screen (their higher end models are full gloss).

This review outlines whats good and not so great about that specific model.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1462946905

Yeah, 65X930D is like 50ms. Gross

That's not true at all. The X930D is 36ms in game mode.

source: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1461823563#4

Eh, doesn't look legit.

It's been heavily rumoured for a long time, and a prototype was shown at CES, there's an image floating around with their current lineup, with a spot for the ZD9 at the top of their range which seems pretty legit, and a lot of people in the know seem very excited about it, so it seems pretty legit...

aufnahme1_658317.jpg

sector4

There are plenty of reviews that say otherwise.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd65xd9305-201604034267.htm
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930d
Just do a google search for "X930D input lag" and you'll find more.
Yes, but both of those articles pre-date the one I linked, so either input lag could have improved in that time via a firmware update, or more likely those sites had trouble taking the measurement. The article I linked explained it's measurement, citing that other reviewers had trouble. And after reading the hdtv test, it seems they definitely did, does this sound like they got an accurate measurement?

Placing our Leo Bodnar input lag tester on the middle flashing white box on the screen of the KD-65XD9305, we encountered a weird phenomenon we haven’t seen before. In [Game] and [Graphic] modes, the returned figure would slowly increase from 51ms to 70ms, then quickly drop back to 51ms before repeating the cycle. The same behaviour was observed in all other presets: for example, in [Cinema pro] mode the lag times would yo-yo between 78ms and 94ms.

Compared to the article I linked

We know that others have had issues with input lag on XD93, even failed to measure it with a meter, but our Leo Bodnar gave us no trouble. We measured a decent 36 ms input lag in the game mode, which means that XD93 is a good choice for game console use.
Read more at http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1461823563#4#jwR359fxmEPmcR5W.99

Gitaroo

On top of that almost no 930d owners from avs forum say anything bad about game input lag and some say its quite good in that aspect.

MrJames

It's been heavily rumoured for a long time, and a prototype was shown at CES, there's an image floating around with their current lineup, with a spot for the ZD9 at the top of their range which seems pretty legit, and a lot of people in the know seem very excited about it, so it seems pretty legit...

Oops. I believe ZD9 is real. I had posted a slide that popped up showing Disney releasing 4K soon but it was fake.

Yes, but both of those articles pre-date the one I linked, so either input lag could have improved in that time via a firmware update, or more likely those sites had trouble taking the measurement. The article I linked explained it's measurement, citing that other reviewers had trouble. And after reading the hdtv test, it seems they definitely did, does this sound like they got an accurate measurement?

Compared to the article I linked
One way to clear this up would be to message Rtings and ask if they could redo the test while mentioning this other result. They corrected stuff in the past.

Rodin

Yeah people on AVS should relax a bit. There's no such a thing as a OLED killer, as much as they seem to like this word, because the tech is pretty new and it will always improve with new gens. I don't think this Sony will be even as good as the E6, let alone future OLEDs, because even with all those things there are some flaws in the LED tech that will still be there, no matter what you do. And no, it won't have black levels on par with a tech that TURNS OFF pixels to display a black image, not even with 1000 local dimming zones.

It will be a beast of a LED TV (with a beast price), no doubt about that, but let's try to be reasonable and not overhype new stuff.

Top Bottom