• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Kyoufu

There is no break in period, at least for the 2016's. I've been playing games on my E6 since I hooked it up. Also, unless you're doing something very extreme or intentionally trying to cause IR, it's very unlikely to happen, permanently anyway. The 2016's scrub the screen after every 4 hours of use and then a longer compensation cycle after 2000 hours. Or if you are really want to you can start a compensation cycle manually. I think I've done a manual cycle once and have clocked over 700 hours on mine since getting it in April.

IR and burn-in is always something I've seen people worry about but never seen it actually affect any panel in my experiences and certainly nobody has talked about having it happen on their OLED panels at the AV and AVS forums.

Rodin

There is no break in period, at least for the 2016's. I've been playing games on my E6 since I hooked it up. Also, unless you're doing something very extreme or intentionally trying to cause IR, it's very unlikely to happen, permanently anyway. The 2016's scrub the screen after every 4 hours of use and then a longer compensation cycle after 2000 hours. Or if you are really want to you can start a compensation cycle manually. I think I've done a manual cycle once and have clocked over 700 hours on mine since getting it in April.

Thanks. To be clear i'm not extremely worried about this, especially because when i cranked it up to see the difference nothing happened, but i've been advised to do so by another guy who owns the EC9300 (i have the EG9100, which is almost the same TV), so i've been keeping OLED light at 40 for normal usage and 48 for games for now, just to be safe.

I only saw a bit of image retention (ps4 menus) at the beginning after first running the E6 for a few hrs, but that quickly disappeared and I just kept using the OLED TV as I would any LCD TV.

Kyoufu

I only saw a bit of image retention (ps4 menus) at the beginning after first running the E6 for a few hrs, but that quickly disappeared and I just kept using the OLED TV as I would any LCD TV.

Do you have any visible banding or vignetting on your panel? Which size did you go with?

My 65E6 (May build) had visible vertical banding/DSE (horizontal panning over a football field) and a bit of vignetting on the right hand side/edge.
Currently also have a 55E6 (June build) here which has none of those problems.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My 65E6 (May build) had visible vertical banding/DSE (horizontal panning over a football field) and a bit of vignetting on the right hand side/edge.
Currently also have a 55E6 (June build) here which has none of those problems.

my 65E6 (april build) has no banding visible in content.

I use my lg B6 as a computer monitor in the living room and I can easily generate temporary IR when using a program like Illustrator. Pure bright colors will leave ghosting trails when I move the camera. However nothing stays long, and in games I've not once noticed it.

Watched the EVO tourney this weekend and no health bar burn ins in sight.

HokieJoe

I hope my 65E6 has a similar story.

In other news, there's a Sony event tomorrow so hopefully we hear what this "OLED killer" is all about.

I'll believe that "OLED killer" bit when I see it in person and read the professional calibrator's chime in. Let's just say I'm skeptical. OTOH, anything that will help kill LCD is fine by me.

Kyoufu

When and where is this event? Any coverage?

Supposedly one in California and one in London. Journalists have been invited so it'll be covered on various outlets at some point in time.

I'll believe that "OLED killer" bit when I see it in person and read the professional calibrator's chime in. Let's just say I'm skeptical. OTOH, anything that will help kill LCD is fine by me.

Well rumours suggest it's dual panel LCD with 1000 or so dimming zones, so chances are it will still retain LCD limitations, but we'll see.

Personally, I don't believe the hype but I'm willing to be blown away.

Decado

Is there significant visual benefit to getting a 4k tv when you won't have much 4k content?

Can 4k tvs display resolutions between 1080p and 4k? Like 1440p? I am a pc gamer but there doesn't seem to be a good setup for 4k and 4k video content is scarce in canada...so I'm not sure what the point is of a 4k set unless the visual improvement is there at lower resolutions.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
How should I look for banding? I have a 65E6 coming on Saturday.

don't. just don't.

if you don't notice it watching content, you're fine.

Watch movies like Edge of Tomorrow with long dark scenes and if nothing bothers you, you're good. Usually a full panel noise clear has worked for folks too on the E-series.

if you use test patterns to find any small uniformity issues you'll end up looking for it all the time and chances are it's barely there.

compared to the EF9500s these things are night and day better

maks

Any LeoBodnar test results with HDR on? Would this be an accurate testing tool for measuring HDR gaming input lag?

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, BvS UHD is an absolute black level killer. My EF9500 is having issues handling the extreme near dark scenes in the film, leaving me with two choices, crushing the blacks, or seeing the banding on the panel with washed out black gradation.

The HDR on the film is beyond spectacular though.

I need to upgrade this set. Fuuuck

Jigolo

Man, BvS UHD is an absolute black level killer. My EF9500 is having issues handling the extreme near dark scenes in the film, leaving me with two choices, crushing the blacks, or seeing the banding on the panel with washed out black gradation.

The HDR on the film is beyond spectacular though.

I need to upgrade this set. Fuuuck
Could it be a badly mastered UHD BD? Haven't seen any reviews of the quality of it yet

Dead

well not really...yet
Could it be a badly mastered UHD BD? Haven't seen any reviews of the quality of it yet
No, it looks absolutely incredible in general, it's 100% a display issue. It's an issue that pops up once in a while with my EF9500, and BvS has probably the most challenging near dark scenes I've seen on a UHD title yet.

Honestly the banding gets so bad sometimes in these instances, I wonder if I can get it warranty replaced by LG

ACH1LL3US

Contrast is unmeasurable on OLED because the black is truly black. Brightness will be much better for sure, but OLED do very well in HDR content because the brightness they can reach is more than adequate considering black levels.

Anyway i'm pretty excited as well to see how the Sony will fare, i just don't like buzzwords :p

Same. I have at least one tv to buy (likely two, one for my living room and another one for my bedroom), and i won't write LED off if they have good things to offer. I can't afford an E6 (and another tv) right now, but i doubt the Sony will be cheaper, so maybe i'm gonna have to go with another EG9100. Maybe even a KS8000, because if there's something i don't like about OLED is that you have to use it for 300 hours before you can crank up OLED light (i want it at 54 for movies/tv series/etc and 65 for games), to avoid ir and burn in.

Currently my plan is to buy one of these tv and put it in the room where i spend more time watching it, and then buy a top OLED from LG/Panasonic next year and move the TV i buy now in the other room.

29? I read it was around 37-39 in many reviews.

EDIT:

Missed this. Jesus dude, now you make me want to use my EG9100 as a monitor. But then i'll have to buy 3 TVs!

Does it hurt your eyes from that distance?

If you keep the 1080p oled about 3 to 4 ft away it is fine as a pc monitor.

If you look at my past posts you will see pics of the ec9300 input lag with the Leo Bodnar, its 29ms, the eg9100 was the same too when i tested it last month at Best Buy ( pc mode with game picture mode).

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...-club&title=LG 4K Oled55c6p Owners Club!&txt=

Jigolo

shockdude

Are there any sub-20ms HDTVs these days? The ones I've researched so far are all from 2014 and earlier.
Edit: didn't do enough research, nvm.

Rodin

If you keep the 1080p oled about 3 to 4 ft away it is fine as a pc monitor.

If you look at my past posts you will see pics of the ec9300 input lag with the Leo Bodnar, its 29ms, the eg9100 was the same too when i tested it last month at Best Buy ( pc mode with game picture mode).

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...-club&title=LG 4K Oled55c6p Owners Club!&txt=

This is a fantastic news, it means that they lowered it a lot with new fw updates. Thanks! Games on this set feel very responsive indeed :)

About using it as a PC monitor, now you are tempting me as well. Stop it! Hahaha :)

Looks like that rumoured Sony set is real

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...ge-black/5480900.p?id=bb5480900&skuId=5480900

Not many details yet though! But this is the one they've been talking about.

Eh, that price is a bit too high and according to that page it doesn't have a 55" model. That's too bad. Looks absolutely gorgeous though.

EDIT:
If TVs are measured on picture quality, then the Sony Z-series stands alone. Near perfect black levels combine with the ability to reproduce the brightness and color of the real world, while your favorites get upscaled to near-4K HDR brilliance. It's a viewing experience that can't be replicated.
See? Even Sony's PR team knows that the black levels can't compete with OLED :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why is this relevant? Would we need new boxes to take advantage of 4K and/or HDR at some point? Serious question.

Also, what's the GAF Notebook?

Yes they've already talked about the boxes ages ago, but then they went dark.

The Xi4, Xi5, and Xi6 boxes were talked about years ago, and some form of the boxes was suppose to be out last year.

The latest rumor was early July to get a box out a month ahead of the Olympic coverage, but that's obviously not happening either.

Comcast won't say shit on the deal either.

Kyoufu

EDIT:

I'd be fine with that if it is outputting 4000 nits of brightness as well. That would blow away OLED in that area, I think.

There's a question mark surrounding Dolby Vision support for this particular model. I really, really hope it has it.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
hoping LG comes out with a 75inch OLED next year at the same price point at there current 65EF9500.

ACH1LL3US

This is a fantastic news, it means that they lowered it a lot with new fw updates. Thanks! Games on this set feel very responsive indeed :)

About using it as a PC monitor, now you are tempting me as well. Stop it! Hahaha :)

Eh, that price is a bit too high and according to that page it doesn't have a 55" model. That's too bad. Looks absolutely gorgeous though.

EDIT:

Ha, yea, they got it low in pc mode with game picture mode for the ec9300, I compared the lag of the ec9300 to the 55e6 I have and there is no comparison, the ec9300 has much less lag.

Using a 1080p oled as a pc monitor reminds me of the old schoold sony crt monitors like the 24fw900 I had. You can see what appears like scanlines on the oled 1080p at close distances and it gives me nostalgia feels lol. The 55e6 4k oled is crystal clear in comparison but games feel alot more responsive on the ec9300.

Rodin

I'd be fine with that if it is outputting 4000 nits of brightness as well. That would blow away OLED in that area, I think.
Well, for sure. Peak brightness is the big LED advantage against OLED, although i'd say it's kinda pointless outside of HDR content.

There's a question mark surrounding Dolby Vision support for this particular model. I really, really hope it has it.
Same.

Ha, yea, they got it low in pc mode with game picture mode for the ec9300, I compared the lag of the ec9300 to the 55e6 I have and there is no comparison, the ec9300 has much less lag.

Using a 1080p oled as a pc monitor reminds me of the old schoold sony crt monitors like the 24fw900 I had. You can see what appears like scanlines on the oled 1080p at close disctanes and it gives me nostalgia feels lol. The 55e6 4k oled is crystal clear in comparison but games feel alot more responsive on the ec9300.

That's amazing and makes me want to do that even more lol. FW900, the memories <3

I really hope LG makes some OLED monitors soon though, a 4K 27" (with GSync) would be amazing.

Looks like that rumoured Sony set is real

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...ge-black/5480900.p?id=bb5480900&skuId=5480900

Not many details yet though! But this is the one they've been talking about.

Looking forward to Rtings review of it.

Hopefully there will be a version that has all the features from this size, but only at 55" or smaller and much cheaper. Hopefully Game Mode Input Lag is <20-35ms. Might even change the 3D from Active to Passive if it's necessary, as long as the smaller version it has 3D.

Looking forward to Rtings review of it.

Hopefully there will be a version that has all the features from this size, but only at 55" or smaller and much cheaper. Hopefully Game Mode Input Lag is <20-35ms. Might even change the 3D from Active to Passive if it's necessary, as long as the smaller version it has 3D.

I hope the input lag is lower than 30ms. The x930d's input lag is unacceptable at 52ms on game mode and the x850d is ok at 34ms.

Still would like to know when this set was announced.

Omlagus

I hope the input lag is lower than 30ms. The x930d's input lag is unacceptable at 52ms on game mode and the x850d is ok at 34ms.

Still would like to know when this set was announced.

It hasn't been yet officially. Best Buy just jumped the gun a bit. There are press events happening today though, so we should be seeing actual official information soon.

Kyoufu

ZD9 officially announced. 65" is €5K, 75" is €8K and the 100" is €70K.

X1 processor with 40% more processing power, Master Backlight Drive with discrete LED control and uses Android 6.

It does NOT support Dolby Vision and isn't UHD Premium certified (lol).

Got the LG 55" OLED set up as a monitor

yfMWv6t.jpg

6PbeVLF.jpg

V2OMjYl.jpg

3fKsDB5.jpg

Used a VESA adapater from Amazon+Monoprice monitor arm to mount on my desk with out the stand
Distance from eyes is about 28" :p

Didn't you used to have a Samsung JS9000 as a monitor as well? Guessing you ended up selling that off? (I sold mine and moved to a monitor while the tech evolves and cheapens a bit for OLED.)

ukas

X1 processor with 40% more processing power, Master Backlight Drive with discrete LED control and uses Android 6.

The aren't disclosing the nits either just >1000. It's definitely not 4000 nits like everyone was guessing. I'll stick with my E6.

Kyoufu

The aren't disclosing the nits either just >1000. It's definitely not 4000 nits like everyone was guessing. I'll stick with my E6.

We should get measurements soon enough as well as impressions and eventually reviews. It could still surpass the E6, especially with that processing power but we'll see!

Rodin

"OLED killer" lol

x3sphere

As expected the pricing is ridiculous, $6K for the 65", no way I would pay OLED money for an LCD. By the time this releases the OLEDs will probably be cheaper too

BruceCLea

Banned
As expected the pricing is ridiculous, $6K for the 65", no way I would pay OLED money for an LCD. By the time this releases the OLEDs will probably be cheaper too

Yeah dude, the price of this is totally fucking nuts. Fuck that. I'm gonna get an OLED in the fall probably. Do you think there will be a price drop by then? Were there great deals on OLEDs last Black Friday?

Top Bottom