• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games founder teases possible Vanquish PC port, has no idea about Rising 2

sfried

Wasn't the Wii U port of Bayonetta 1 outsourced? I think they just meant that they wanted proper oversight over future ports of their games, not that they'd necessarily be developed internally.
No, it was not. Platinum supervised the porting mostly, but they did get some external help.

Golnei

I wonder if they'll finally give us an option to skip the walking sequences - the boss select in MGR and Bayonetta 1's Nintendo costumes shows they're not completely averse to minor changes in the ports they either oversee or internally develop.

exactly!
Vanquish, Bayonetta, Revengeance 2
who cares?

all we need is a PC F2P port of the greatest multiplayer game in existence that no one ever played!
Anarchy Reigns baby!

all those dudes running around could be real people online

I don't know about F2P - rebalancing it for that economy might be more trouble than it's worth - but Anarchy Reigns definitely deserves another chance. Probably not over Vanquish, though.

antitrop

Was this really that good of a game?

It's a Stylish Action Game mixed with a Third-person Shooter, so even if it isn't perfect, it's unique.

Easiest things to criticize would be the length and story. It's only ~5 hours for the campaign and the cutscenes are... you can skip them. Even if the campaign is short, there's a lot of value in the bonus Tactical Challenges, though.

Was this really that good of a game?

Yep. God-tier TPS mechanics driven by the understanding that TPSes are all about movement and positioning and mobility - like the best parts of Uncharted also understand - but with amazing amazing gunplay too and the ability to be ridiculously flashy *and* efficient once you get good at it.

But it's very much a game driven by the quality of the mechanics, not by the quality of the story or presentation, heh.

AwShucks

I just came in to say that Inaba is one of my favorite game industry people. Producers often have a large impact on games and I connect Inaba with a long history of games I love, from Viewtiful Joe to Okama to MG Rising.

Ganondorfo

Stupid question: I thought Vanquish is a beloved game. I see a lot of LTTP threads for this game, yet its confusing why there still isnt a sequel. Is it because Mikami left and is now with the Evil Within team?

Stupid question: I thought Vanquish is a beloved game. I see a lot of LTTP threads for this game, yet its confusing why there still isnt a sequel. Is it because Mikami left and is now with the Evil Within team?

It did not sell well. But also, yes, because Mikami left.

It's a Stylish Action Game mixed with a Third-person Shooter, so even if it isn't perfect, it's unique.

Easiest things to criticize would be the length and story. It's only ~5 hours for the campaign and the cutscenes are... you can skip them.

I honestly love the cutscenes and dialogue in Vanquish. Steve Blum angrily shouting nonsense is hilarious.

"THANK GOD I'M AN ATHEIST!"

That's an auto-buy when they do. I hope they go all out too because I REALLY love the og release. Possibly one of my favorites of last gen.

Sephzilla

I'd buy the shit out of 60FPS Vanquish on PC
or ported to PS4

I Believe.jpg
metal_gear_rising_2_tease.jpg

I'm pretty sure MGR2 died with the Great Kojima Purge

Grief.exe

Easiest things to criticize would be the length and story. It's only ~5 hours for the campaign and the cutscenes are... you can skip them. Even if the campaign is short, there's a lot of value in the bonus Tactical Challenges, though.

I'd prefer a well designed game that is shorter, then a longer game that doesn't respect my time.

Platinum games are also in a different category as they are designed to be beaten multiple times as they scale with your skill level.

antitrop

I'd prefer a well designed game that is shorter, then a longer game that doesn't respect my time.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee too

And if you think of it as not beating the game until you've finished the Tac Challenges (which I certainly haven't done), then you're definitely getting your money's worth.

Grief.exe

It's interesting reading that interview because he suggests to turn the microphone off, but if you read the interview they awkwardly change to a completely different subject.

I would argue they actually talked about Platinum PC ports for a bit, then resumed the interview.

Valahart

I'd gladly throw some money in that.

I've had the game on PSPlus but I have no intention of renewing my subscription on that.

anothertech

This is great news. Hope for current gen console ports as well.

Now, with that said..

Where's my dam Vanquish sequel SEGA? We need this NOW. Thank you.

It did not sell well. But also, yes, because Mikami left.

Well, didn't Mikami worked as a contractor in this game? I think he helped fund PG, but he actually wasn't party of the company when he was working on the game.

Also I'm sure other key members of Vanquish left to work at Tango.

Grief.exe

This is great news. Hope for current gen console ports as well.

Now, with that said..

Where's my dam Vanquish sequel SEGA? We need this NOW. Thank you.

The irony for some of these games such as Vanquish, Dragon's Dogma, and Alan Wake, if they had been on PC initially then they would have been more likely to fund a sequel.

The demographic seems to thrive on word of mouth sales combine that with unending digital revenue for decades and you have a much different situation.

Top Bottom