• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) sells [16] million copies

23qwerty

Insane.

Is the company structure/ IP ownership etc. the same as in Mojang?

I mean: will PLAYERUNKNOWN end up with MILLIONS like Notch did? Or is this a whole different company structure?
Pretty sure Bluehole was an already existing company that brought PU on as a creative director for this, no?

pastrami

This actually sounds kinda awesome - and 100 players sounds massive.
but now I have lot's of questions once you mentioned this circle appearing where the fight takes place.

So you could be walking around like a "ghost" and if the circle appears where your at, everyone will see you, is it like a spot light?

Also, if players cant see each other can you see the loot disappearing if someone else grabbed it?

And what happens if I'm outside of the circle when the circle appears,
do you die after a while?

what happens if I go outside of the circle in and out will that make me disappear and appear, wouldn't that be kinda cheap?

Because the map is so large, it would get really boring after you kill everyone in your immediate vicinity. The purpose of the circle is to funnel everyone into a smaller play area. Anyone outside of the circle will take damage over time. This forces the remaining players into ever smaller areas of the map, until just one player/team is left.

No ghosts, no spotlights, no disappearing loot, no disappearing outside of circles.

Blam

Insane.

Is the company structure/ IP ownership etc. the same as in Mojang?

I mean: will PLAYERUNKNOWN end up with MILLIONS like Notch did? Or is this a whole different company structure?

It's right now Bluehole owns PUBG Corp (subsidiary).

So no it's not gonna be bought out and if it is Bluehole is being bought.

Venfayth

This actually sounds kinda awesome - and 100 players sounds massive.
but now I have lot's of questions once you mentioned this circle appearing where the fight takes place.

So you could be walking around like a "ghost" and if the circle appears where your at, everyone will see you, is it like a spot light?

Also, if players cant see each other can you see the loot disappearing if someone else grabbed it?

And what happens if I'm outside of the circle when the circle appears,
do you die after a while?

what happens if I go outside of the circle in and out will that make me disappear and appear, wouldn't that be kinda cheap?

The circle is basically a safe zone. If you're outside of it you take damage. The longer the game goes on the smaller the circle gets and the more damage you take from being outside the circle. It doesn't really impair your vision, although there is an electrical visual effect. When it first appears you get 5 minutes or so to run to it, or use a vehicle to drive in.

Grassy

Holy fuck! I made a prediction a few months back when PUBG had hit ~7 million or so that it might do 15 million sales lifetime, not in the next few months...insane.

I wonder if they have some thoughts/ doubts about pricing the game @ $30 now. Like if it was priced @ $50 then how much more money would they make?

16M x $30 = $480M

12M * $50 = $600M

Big diffrence and that is with 25% less sales assumption.

I know I would be spinning "what if" stories if I was the boss/ price strategies at the studio now!

If it was priced at $50 a lot less people would have jumped on board to begin with. The price was part of what made me say "OK I'll give this Early Access game a shot, it looks pretty janky but it's only $30", even though I'd never played nor had interest in a Battle Royale-style game ever before. 500+ hours later...

Vinc

Can this game overtake GTA V? This seems to become more and more of a legitimate question as time passes.

Rains

I do love this game but the amount of cheaters i have played in the last week is crazy something needs to be done about it

Holy fuck! I made a prediction a few months back when PUBG had hit ~7 million or so that it might do 15 million sales lifetime, not in the next few months...insane.

If it was priced at $50 a lot less people would have jumped on board to begin with. The price was part of what made me say "OK I'll give this Early Access game a shot, it looks pretty janky but it's only $30", even though I'd never played nor had interest in a Battle Royale-style game ever before. 500+ hours later...

yup

$30 was a good idea

$

Is this the first foreign game (to the Chinese domestic market) to go massive in China?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Haven't played it yet, but it doesn't look like anything special to be honest. But good for them and the people who enjoy playing it.

shimon

This sold 12 mil since release til late September. In the last 3 weeks it sold another 4 mil. This fuckin game...

The game bored me and was the only time I've ever used steam refund, but congrats, glad to see a non-freemium game getting this much success

jeffc919

Why is there such a high discrepancy between Players and Owners in China and Korea?

Internet cafés?

Probably already mentioned but it's likely due to a bug that has been defaulting everyone to the Asia server for the last few weeks. You need to explicitly change it every single match and it's really easy to forget or not even notice.

jeffc919

Haven't played it yet, but it doesn't look like anything special to be honest. But good for them and the people who enjoy playing it.

It is the most unique multiplayer experience of any game I have ever played and I started playing MP games in the 90's. FWIW I haven't played any Battle Royale mods or H1Z1 KOTH so PUBG is my first Battle Royale game.

Parsnip

Probably already mentioned but it's likely due to a bug that has been defaulting everyone to the Asia server for the last few weeks. You need to explicitly change it every single match and it's really easy to forget or not even notice.

Nah, that bug doesn't affect how Steamspy gathers and displays data.
The difference is because it's total owners of all time and total players of the last two weeks.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
As far as Steam games go, is this the best selling title ever?

I'm not sure if a sale will change the trajectory much. It feels like this is more of a game where people will get it to play it now, rather than one where they wait for a sale -- and it's already lower-priced.

I think it'll make a difference, but a lot less of a percentage one than it would for a lot of games. I could imagine a free weekend turning into a ton of sales though.

I wonder if they have some thoughts/ doubts about pricing the game @ $30 now. Like if it was priced @ $50 then how much more money would they make?

I don't know why they would question it when the price was unquestionably part of its success.

As far as Steam games go, is this the best selling title ever?

It's not even close.

Just the best-selling non-Valve title ever, and 4th best overall.

prag16

Banned
I jumped in about a month ago. I've never had a game get my heart racing like this.
No game has ever provided the tension and rush you get when you're skulking around in the top 10, last circle or two, not sure where everyone is, trying to figure out what move to make.

Never experienced anything like it in a game.

I put my time into the game. Just over 300 hours and it's lost its charm. Thanks to shitty hit detection, Chinese hackers, and high ping players from other countries, I've Uninstaller the game. I've played 6 games in the last two weeks. Each time leaving salty and unfulfilled. I like the game play, but the next developer to carbon copy the game with a better engine will have my attention.

game minimized a few times and wouldnt let me back in
no other game has done this :(

theres some weird stuff like if your vehicles tire is out sometimes the textures strobe in and out of visibility or the tiny slope in by field by pochinki causing you to come to a complete halt o_O

is there a road map of what they're working on for this game?

200+ hours and still not a single chicken dinner in solo.

Gotta be doing something right to keep me engaged despite that lol, glad they keep hitting these milestones, 20M by Thanksgiving easy.

200+ hours and still not a single chicken dinner in solo.

Gotta be doing something right to keep me engaged despite that lol, glad they keep hitting these milestones, 20M by Thanksgiving easy.
Imagine a 3D grid in your head next time you play. Always ALWAYS be aware of how visible you are in a given position. Imagine players surrounding you, and think to yourself, what's the route that will get me seen by as few of them as possible... where is there a divot in the ground that'll let me run in such a way that only my head is visible from X direction... Wherehere a rut on this mountain that I can rest in without fear... 3 feet of hillside can make all the difference but you gotta be using that 3D brain to know what's up. That's my secret, ever since the ARMA 2 days.

Imagine a 3D grid in your head next time you play. Always ALWAYS be aware of how visible you are in a given position. Imagine players surrounding you, and think to yourself, what's the route that will get me seen by as few of them as possible... where is there a divot in the ground that'll let me run in such a way that only my head is visible from X direction... Wherehere a rut on this mountain that I can rest in without fear... 3 feet of hillside can make all the difference but you gotta be using that 3D brain to know what's up. That's my secret, ever since the ARMA 2 days.

Bruh I've played somewhere along the lines of 3K hours of ARMA lol. I just like, that squirrel part of my brain activates every top-10 and I go "FUCK IT" and do something stupid to die. I could have perfect positioning, doesn't matter.

Acidote

It was really hard to grasp for a friend that you could be in the line of vision of an enemy while he could be out of yours.

prag16

Banned
It was really hard to grasp for a friend that you could be in the line of vision of an enemy while he could be out of yours.
Playing FPP helps with this somewhat. No more cheesing the third person camera to peek people. I refuse to play 3rd person now. No need to help campers even more.

Staggering numbers. The cc numbers are going to be insane once the vaulting update hits and the new map drops. 4 million CC is a high number that PUBG can conceivably hit.

I think the craziest thing to me is the fact that 99.4% of the people who bought the game have actually installed it and played it. That's gotta be really high for a steam game these days. I checked Infinite Warfare as an example and only 87% of buyers had played that.

Itachi87

I think the craziest thing to me is the fact that 99.4% of the people who bought the game have actually installed it and played it. That's gotta be really high for a steam game these days. I checked Infinite Warfare as an example and only 87% of buyers had played that.

I wonder if that's accurate. I have the game in my library for months now but have not installed or played it

Top Bottom