• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

Why are people celebrating these numbers? I'd say they are pretty horrible.

Between August 10 and January 4, the PS4 sold 8.5 units. That corresponds to about 1.7 millions per month. With today's news, it is known that 1.7 million units were sold in two months. That corresponds to about 0.85 millions per month. So in just half a year, sales have halved. How is this good news?

I guess it's just Gaf falling for Sony's PR as always.

Conduit

Banned
This is absolutely crazy, seeing as there hasn't been a "must have" exclusive moving the console yet.

Imagine what the numbers will be like if/when that happens. It will be out of control.

For some people some exclusives ARE MUST HAVE and they will buy PS4, even if you think they aren't.

Crazy, it's really weird how people buying it especially early on it's lifecycle with just a few expensive and boring games and games which look worse than under 300 USD pc's.
The name PlayStation still sells a lot of consoles.

The salt is strong with this one.

People are buying the console and buying games that they enjoy playing on it. That's all that matters. So bitter...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Crazy, it's really weird how people buying it especially early on it's lifecycle with just a few expensive and boring games and games which look worse than on under 300 USD pc's.
At least they have a few bangs like Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 in the pipeline.

Okay buddy.

bobawesome

200_s.gif

I own a PS4 myself but it's hard to get too excited for sales figures at a certain point. 18 million means just as much as 20 million to me.

This is absolutely crazy, seeing as there hasn't been a "must have" exclusive moving the console yet.

Imagine what the numbers will be like if/when that happens. It will be out of control.
I can see the price dropping to 350$ and an Uncharted 4 400$ bundle pushing it to 2.5-3 million in November.

Has this erased whatever gains the XBO made in closing the gap over the holidays? Seems like it's back to being stillborn now that the ridiculous bundles have come to an end.

The X1 made zero gains WW during the Holidays. The only gain they made was in NA and even that wasn't nearly enough

yoplay

Sony will reach 100 million, book it so as long as it reaches the magical $200 retail price around year 5 - 6. Have been saying this since the start of the new gen. That price point is killer. All consoles should start at $399.99. Forget the hardware power enthusiasts, the gaming industry is not sustainable with consoles that start at such high price points. Innovate in game design and gameplay. It is all I want.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
With so many sold.... can I finally have my DLC list be able to be sorted by title on my systems? Plz?

Jomjom

Banned
Crazy, it's really weird how people buying it especially early on it's lifecycle with just a few expensive and boring games and games which look worse than on under 300 USD pc's.

What does "expensive" games mean? Aren't most (all) retail games still $60?

lmao
also millions of people could not care less about playing games on PC.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS4 is up YoY btw.

It sold in two months what it sold in three months last year.

No, it's basically on par, both period and sales.

Dec. 28, 2013: 4.2 million
Mar. 2, 2014: 6 million

Difference: 1.8 million (64 days)

Jan. 4, 2015: 18.5 million
Mar. 1, 2015: 20.2 million

Difference: 1.7 million (56 days)

*1 Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 3/1/2015. PS4 sales data in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 2/28/2015, in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 2/28/2015, and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 3/1/2015.

*2 Title line-up as well as the number of titles differ by regions.

*3 Number as of 12/2/14.

Most interesting is that P5 leads off the list. :p I think Sony is going to be giving it a lot of marketing support as its release nears.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were the ones footing the marketing bill. The localization affirmation at the Playstation Experience, if anything, just tells us Sony is definitely aware of the Persona series and how well it's doing.

Hope you're ready for controversial "YOU ARE A SLAVE. WANT EMANCIPATION?" posters put up in subway stations and trains all over the globe.

Incredible performance.

Sony's strategy for PS4 has just been wonderful. MS have to look back at their original plan / unveil and just be kicking themselves in the face still to this day. The thirst for new consoles was real and they royally fucked up.

I consider myself primarily a PC gamer.

This is total bull crap. A 300 PC will not handle graphics anywhere near The Order

This only bodes well with Sony's VR system they are going to release next year. I wonder how many Morpheus units they will want to sell through...

mejin

Sony's major boost comes from Europe and ROTW, things are pretty tied up between PS4 and XBO in the US.

I still remember dat PS4 outselling XBO 7:1 in Spain with awe lol and a few European countries have hit the 1M mark or are pretty close to it, so yeah, PS4's a beast worldwide.

PS4 is selling everywhere. Some markets are more important than others of course, but there is no rejection, it's a really interesting position for Sony.

DieH@rd

Banned
1.7 million in the two slowest months of the year, in a environment where PS4 is stocked everywhere [last year there were serious shortages outside US].

Phenomenal performance, and all this done without officially dropping the price! Between now and E3, PS4 will get significant sales boosts from Bloodborne, MLB [in US], Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight. I think 24M is doable by E3 pressconf.

FDC1

Between August 10 and January 4, the PS4 sold 8.5 units. That corresponds to about 1.7 millions per month. With today's news, it is known that 1.7 million units were sold in two months. That corresponds to about 0.85 millions per month. So in just half a year, sales have halved. How is this good news?

notsureifserious.jpg

lol dat salt

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Comparing monthly averages between the post-holiday months and a stretch including the holidays is pretty silly.

This. Exclusive don't matter anymore, just look at nintendo wiiu, third party's now have the biggest franchises that move consoles.
You're wrong. Exclusives do matter and they did for Nintendo when they released (the big ones anyways). Nintendo has no games other than 1st/2nd party which pales in comparison to the PS4 that releases a shit ton of games on a regular basis on top of 1st/2nd/3rd party exclusives.

DieH@rd

Banned

Staph.

Jan and Feb are slowest months for console sales, this results are very impressive.

Not sure if trolling? Literally everything that costs money sells better towards the end of the year.

dmr87

1.7 million in the two slowest months of the year, in a environment where PS4 is stocked everywhere [last year there were serious shortages outside US].

Phenomenal performance, and all this done without officially dropping the price! Between now and E3, PS4 will get significant sales boosts from Bloodborne, MLB [in US], Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight. I think 24M is doable by E3 pressconf.

Really good.

Vire

20 Million people without an exclusive worth buying a system over yet.

Words cannot express how disappointed I've been thus far with Sony's first party output.

Jomjom

Banned
You're wrong. Exclusives do matter and they did for Nintendo when they released (the big ones anyways). Nintendo has no games other than 1st/2nd party which pales in comparison to the PS4 that releases a shit ton of games on a regular basis on top of 1st/2nd/3rd party exclusives.

I think a better way to put it is, in the past exclusives were more of the primary selling point and third party multi-plat games were more supplementary. Now that's flip-flopped.

NateDrake

This will make the Feb. NPD report really interesting as it will give us a good idea of how strong the European and other regions market is for the PS4. If we see, say, 300k in Feb. NPD, we know that PS4 did roughly 500k in NA for Jan-Feb and 200k in Japan. So 1mill between EU and the rest of the world would be the real headliner.

Ugh...that's 20.2 million reasons I don't get a price drop.

Lol, and all those people complaining about how Sony should have dropped the price this past Holiday. Now they still have that price drop move in their back pocket for this upcoming Holiday season, or even before. It was obviously a great move to hold the PS4 price at $400, since that price has obviously had huge legs around the world.

All those sales and yet it really doesn't have any standout exclusives. Pretty damn impressive. The key to sales is basically low price, multiplats with higher resolution.

Xando

ROTW numbers make me question MS completely abandoning continental europe even more. They wouldn't be able to compete with sony anyway but they could've gotten a bigger piece of the cake.

20 Million people without an exclusive worth buying a system over yet.

Words cannot express how disappointed I've been thus far with Sony's first party output.

I do actually agree with you on that one. So far Sony's offering have been really weak imo. The worst out of the Big 3.

But they'll turn it around, I have faith in them.

Welfare

ROTW numbers make me question MS completely abandoning continental europe even more. They wouldn't be able to compete with sony anyway but they could've gotten a bigger piece of the cake.

Microsoft just completely fucked up this generation.

I think a better way to put it is, in the past exclusives were more of the primary selling point and third party multi-plat games were more supplementary. Now that's flip-flopped.
Well during PS1-PS2 era, Sony just had a lot more exclusives which helped them completely dominate. Hell I would say Sony's exclusives and price drops were the 2 primary reasons for them coming back to the race with the PS3 after getting their ass kicked the first two years of last generation.

watership

Potential is all you need to sell yourself. Just ask any loser with a good looking girlfriend.

Now Sony just needs to deliver on quality exclusives.

What is the reason for the PS4s success? It certainly isn't exclusive games. I think that the ps3 had better games by this point in its lifespan.

Jomjom

Banned
I do actually agree with you on that one. So far Sony's offering have been really weak imo. The worst out of the Big 3.

But they'll turn it around, I have faith in them.

So far I think their combination of retail and digital releases has been the best of the Big 3.

All those sales and yet it really doesn't have any standout exclusives. Pretty damn impressive. The key to sales is basically low price, multiplats with higher resolution.

I don't understand this mentality. Are you living in some delusional world where the best selling games aren't multiplats?

Exclusives definitely help selling systems but the bigger picture is the gaming library and PS4 is in a batter position than any other platform. It has the western third party support, it has the Japanese third party support and it has good 1st party support.

Top Bottom