• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

Congratulations to Sony. I have been following their stock for a while and judging by their steady increase - I am hoping this is the beginning for the "Return of the King". I grew with Sony products all my life and seeing them crash was very painful.

Who knew PS4 might actually turn around the prospects of the company. I hope they can hit 30 million units by end of the year.

Are casuals buying the PS4 as well as the previous (very well treated by Sony)PS3 owners? It's just difficult for me personally to see what is so appealing about this console to be selling to the mass market. Nothing wrong with it selling great, congrats to Sony, I'm just not getting why.

Brand, most powerful, best looking, price and third-party support. that's all you really need sell. if the the iphone 6 plus can sell 75 million in 3 months, just cause people wanna upgrade, you don't think people want to upgrade there 8 year old consoles.

Lets say that it did something like 250k in february in US (numbers from my ass). Combine that with 189k in January and those are not exactly huge numbers for market leader. Solid but nothing compared to how it's doing relatively elsewhere (except Japan). Outside of Japan and US it's still ahead of Wii.

It was never going to match the Wii's explosive start and consequent collapse. The sales gradient for Playstation consoles was never like that. PS2 would be a better comparison but I would argue competition in US (namely XB1) is more fierce now. The 360 recently outsold the Wii in the USA right? Thats what the PS4 should try and do....sell in the long run like the 360.

Are casuals buying the PS4 as well as the previous (very well treated by Sony)PS3 owners? It's just difficult for me personally to see what is so appealing about this console to be selling to the mass market. Nothing wrong with it selling great, congrats to Sony, I'm just not getting why.

Most powerful, best performing/looking versions of most multiplatform games, largest console game library, and good word of mouth.

That moves consoles

20.2 million sold-through = approx. 22 million shipped

The PS4 hit 19.9 million LTD shipped as of 2014-12-31, so 22 million shipped as of 2015-03-01 is a reasonable estimation.

Yes, I read Delusibeta's post wrong. I thought he was saying the 20.2 was shipped and realized right after that the second number he wrote was the 22.

NateDrake

Then consoles in general are not doing so hot in the US. Not just PS4.

Yeah, most would say so when you compare the performance of the current market to previous generations. No one is denying that the PS4 is doing great WW but it is clear that Europe and the rest of the world are buying into the PS4 on a massive scale.

It was never going to match the Wii's explosive start and consequent collapse. The sales gradient for Playstation consoles was never like that. PS2 would be a better comparison but I would argue competition in US (namely XB1) is more fierce now. The 360 recently outsold the Wii in the USA right? Thats what the PS4 should try and do....sell in the long run like the 360.
This is the real question. Whether or not these sales last for a long time or we see a faster slowdown than normal. We don't know if more people jumped into this new generation of consoles quicker than previous gens because last gen lasted for so long. Still, the PS4 is off to a great start. It's just a matter of whether or not it maintains its WW momentum.

Loudninja

Thats right and thats why I say the PS4 is doing well in the US.

Expecting Wii numbers is not realistic.

Deku Tree

Chronological order of the sales (sold-through) announcements

December 3rd, 2013 - 2.1 millions (as of December 1st, 2013)
January 7th, 2014 - 4.2 millions (as of December 28th, 2013)
February 18th, 2014 - 5.3 millions (as of February 8th, 2014)
March 4th, 2014 - 6 millions (as of March 2nd, 2014)
April 16th, 2014 - 7 millions (as of April 6th, 2014)
August 12th, 2014 - 10 millions (as of August 10th, 2014)
January 5th, 2015 - 18.5 millions (as of January 3rd/4th, 2015)
March 4th, 2015 - 20.2 millions (as of February 28th/ March 1st, 2015)

PS4 is on fire.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Numbers we know so far for the latest two months

Japan (Media Create) - 130,659 up to February 22nd, 2015 (it lacks tomorrow's datas, DQH's first week...I think it'll become 170k - 180k with that)
US (NPD) - 189,000 up to January 31st, 2015

What was PS4's LTD in US up to December 2014?

Jomjom

Banned
Yeah, most would say so when you compare the performance of the current market to previous generations. No one is denying that the PS4 is doing great WW but it is clear that Europe and the rest of the world are buying into the PS4 on a massive scale.

Well maybe we'll see the criticism and dismay about the Japanese console market dying die down then considering we aren't doing so hot back at home either.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is absolutely crazy, seeing as there hasn't been a "must have" exclusive moving the console yet.

Imagine what the numbers will be like if/when that happens. It will be out of control.

Numbers we know so far for the latest two months

Japan (Media Create) - 130,659 up to February 22nd, 2015 (it lacks tomorrow's datas, DQH's first week...I think it'll become 170k - 180k with that)
US (NPD) - 189,000 up to January 31st, 2015

What was PS4's LTD in US up to December 2014?

6.7 million

Thats right and thats why I say the PS4 is doing well in the US.

That's a very good point, the ps4 is competing against the xb1 which dominated last gen in the us and established a very strong brand for gamers so the PS4 is actually doing excellent in the US when you really think about it

Did NPD start tracking Australian sales? So what company tracks European sales chart-track?

The NPD Group tracks USA, Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand sell-through.

They partner with GfK Group for weekly Australian / New Zealand sell-through reports.

GfK Group tracks the good majority of Europe sell-through as well as other territories around the world (like South Africa, South Korea, etc.)

Chart-Track is a subsidiary of GfK that tracks UK sell-through.

dmr87

Europe doing work.

This is absolutely crazy, seeing as there hasn't been a "must have" exclusive moving the console yet.

Imagine what the numbers will be like if/when that happens. It will be out of control.

Bloodborne baby.

ibnvKgY9UUP6Yi.gif

That's how it looked and read MGS4 on composite cables , good times

The NPD Group tracks USA, Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand sell-through.

They partner with GfK Group for weekly Australian / New Zealand sell-through reports.

GfK Group tracks the good majority of Europe and other territories around the world (like South Africa).

Okay so is GFK even more secretive with their sales data then NPD?

Big third party multiplatform games move more consoles than any exclusives.

Zophar

Has this erased whatever gains the XBO made in closing the gap over the holidays? Seems like it's back to being stillborn now that the ridiculous bundles have come to an end.

Bousf

Xbox got close with the price cut but Sony has started to gain again and is still leading sales in the United States.
Yep, the US is the most tied territory, or at least the one with the smallest gap between the consoles. Things in Europe are crazy, the outselling is CAPITAL and we can see that in these WW numbers.

Yudoken

Crazy, it's really weird how people buying it especially early on it's lifecycle with just a few expensive and boring games and games which look worse than on under 300 USD pc's.
The name PlayStation still sells a lot of consoles.
At least they have a few bangs like Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 in the pipeline.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

360 didn't just sell in the long run...the console got a major relaunch in 2010 due to 360 Slim and Kinect. Those made the sales go actually quite higher than what the console achieved in the precedent years. It's a pretty big anomaly, and you can't say it'll happen again, especially seeing how Sony seems not that interested to the more mass casual audience currently / their recent results on that front (also, casual games selling better on Wii U and Xbox One than on PS4 in US, for the most part).

Top Bottom