• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 receives official £50 price drop in the UK this October

labaronx

Halo will sell and it'll move consoles. But Sony also isn't sitting on their ass like they did last year. I'm not saying MS won't "win" the holidays. But Sony has put themselves in a position to where they won't get blown out. I agree. I'm sure Sony will take that.

They are more interested in hitting their margins. They won't get blown out by 600k this year and they've set themselves up perfectly going into 2016 with the amount of titles releasing in the first 3 months.

I agree with your reasonings

GnawtyDog

Banned
It needs the drop above all else in the U.S not necessarily Europe. Asia is a good starting point for a roll out cause that market needs it more so than any other (specially Japan).

But yeah, U.S getting a drop is inevitable. While PS4 has been up YOY in some months, not all months have played out like that in the U.S, not to mention the Xbox One has been taking a larger share of the pie almost each month barring March perhaps? While you can make the case Sony can use the profit it's getting now from units sold, it also needs a robust install base for its network business to feed on. It's a balancing act of sorts.

Boke1879

Microsoft cuts price =desperate

Sony cuts price =even more valuable

Hate this double standard.

There really isn't a double standard. Just two different situations.

MS had to drop kinect and lower the price to stay competitive. If they didn't the Xbox would be in a horrible situation right now.

Sony is lowering the price because their machine is cheaper to produce. we also don't even know if this price drop is coming to NA. This isn't a global price drop yet

orochi91

They are more interested in hitting their margins. They won't get blown out by 600k this year and they've set themselves up perfectly going into 2016 with the amount of titles releasing in the first 3 months.

I can see them being content with this. So long as they go into 2016 with a sizable lead still intact, then it shouldn't matter if MS scraps by and wins Oct-Dec.

Trup1aya

There really isn't a double standard. Just two different situations.

MS had to drop kinect and lower the price to stay competitive. If they didn't the Xbox would be in a horrible situation right now.

Sony is lowering the price because their machine is cheaper to produce. we also don't even know if this price drop is coming to NA. This isn't a global price drop yet

Companies don't just drop the price out of good will...

Since it's cheaper to produce, they would naturally like to enjoy larger profit margins by keeping the price high...

But there's a thing called supply and demand.
They are dropping the price because it will have a positive effect on their sales rate... Which will net them more software sales...

All price drops are for the same reason... To increase sales... Sure MS has been in more urgent need for an improvement in sales....

ps3ud0

Excellent - expecting that means XO hits the magic £200 here then - deffo could afford a Forza-only box at that price

ps3ud0 8)

GnawtyDog

Banned
Even if Sony cut price in October I still think Xbox wins October. November is gonna be a battleground though

I think it's par for the course for most of October except the week leading up to Halo 5 and subsequent week which will become part of Nov. Then once you get close to Star Wars, COD, and Black Friday it's all a toss up. If MS stays put and plays price parity I am not sure Nov-Dec will be a repeat of last year. Price parity doesn't bode well for Xbox, at least in the U.S

I think it's par for the course for most of October except the week leading up to Halo 5 and subsequent week which will become part of Nov. Then once you get close to Star Wars, COD, and Black Friday it's all a toss up.

MS should win October due to the Halo bundle alone

GnawtyDog

Banned
MS should win October due to the Halo bundle alone

The $500 bundle? Pretty sure the launch days are over. It should win Oct for a number of reasons, including price disparity ($349.99 vs. $399.99) and their biggest, most notable piece of exclusive content (Halo 5), alongside heavy marketing.

mejin

Companies don't just drop the price out of good will...

Since it's cheaper to produce, they would naturally like to enjoy larger profit margins by keeping the price high...

But there's a thing called supply and demand.
They are dropping the price because it will have a positive effect on their sales rate... Which will net them more software sales...

All price drops are for the same reason... To increase sales... Sure MS has been in more urgent need for an improvement in sales....

But it's like he said: two different situations. Microsoft dropped because it was needed to stay competitive. Demand for PS4 is still great, but they can achieve much more with a new price.

Microsoft was forced to drop the price, Sony is doing of it's own accord.

Considering the price that is a serious number. I could see it sure.... I don't see 150k+++

Yeah the price will keep it from going too ham but even that is a pretty large number to contribute to its NPD

But I don't want to put an upper limit on it yet. I just feel confident it will hit at least 100k

November will be crazy this year though. Sony has Battlefront PS4 and MS hasn't shown its November bundle(s) yet

Microsoft cuts price =desperate

Sony cuts price =even more valuable

Hate this double standard.

I think its more the fact that Microsoft did a series of short term price cuts since the launch of the XB1 to gain some ground which, evidently, hasn't gone as planned. It's not really comparable to Sony dropping the price of the PS4 officially just one time in the last 2 years, but hey, people see what they want to see. Proceed.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If this comes to the US (very likely), I hope they also put out a white console like the old Destiny one.

onanie

Yeah the price will keep it from going too ham but even that is a pretty large number to contribute to its NPD

But I don't want to put an upper limit on it yet. I just feel confident it will hit at least 100k

November will be crazy this year though. Sony has Battlefront PS4 and MS hasn't shown its November bundle(s) yet

I thought NPD doesn't include bundles.

Dmax3901

Just asked if there's any word of a PS4 price drop here in Australia and got the following response:

TO5b.png

Lexxism

Regardless of price drop or not, wait to find out and just buy it at Shoppers Drug Mart or on a no-tax day at Superstore. We have a some good options to make consoles cheaper. Hell PS4 was $360 CAD+tax for a month earlier this year at Chapters.
and only a few took advantage on it. They are playing the "wait game".

On Demand

Banned
I just wish it would be a $100 drop in the US.

$50 drop ain't gonna cut it in the face of MS's marketing blitz during the holidays.

The way it's selling now even $50 will give it a boost. It's been 2 years.

You're acting like Sony won't be marketing all those bundles they have. This holiday will be very different. MS basically had last year to themselves.

The way it's selling now even $50 will give it a boost. It's been 2 years.

You're acting like Sony won't be marketing all those bundles they have. This holiday will be very different. MS basically had last year to themselves.
$350 CoD and Battlefront bundles are going to do crazy numbers.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Considering the price that is a serious number. I could see it sure.... I don't see 150k+++

I say 120,000 for the Halo bundle and 400,000 for XBO in October.

Son Of D

If this comes to the US (very likely), I hope they also put out a white console like the old Destiny one.

The white ones aren't available separately in the US yet? Huh, we've had them here (UK) for a while now.

I just wish it would be a $100 drop in the US.

$50 drop ain't gonna cut it in the face of MS's marketing blitz during the holidays.

With the marketing deals and bundles for CoD, Battlefront and AssCreed I'd say a $50 drop will be fine.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Down to £300? I've seen PS4's go for £270-300 already (not bundles). So does this mean we'll see retailers drop to something like £230/250?

Either way, a price drop is gonna be crazy!

Microsoft =$150 drop in less than a year
Sony =$50 drop in more than 22 months

If you don't see the difference, you should stop posting.
Anyone with 10% of a brain can see why MS dropped the xbox ones price so quickly, which was to play catch up, any of fairytale explanation is pure denial. I don't see how a company can offer 3 to 4 games and in some cases an extra controller with a console in its second holiday on the market and are gaining a profit. So it wasn't about money like some are making it out to be.

I've started putting some weekly money away to get a PS4 for Uncharted next year.

Would love to be able to pick up the console and game for £200 or maybe even less :)

WinterX

Banned
Have seen some movements here. PS4 with FIFA16 bundle in the Netherlands is already priced for 365 euro.

Nice drop. Finally. Unfortunately already have 1116 revision, so it's pointless to make a change now.

RibMan

do you guys think we will see similar price cuts in mainland Europe and North America this year?

At this point, I'm inclined to believe that the $50 reduction is going to happen (across all territories) this year.

i honestly believed a price cut would be for $299.

A $100 cut is the 'right' amount. $50 is a half-step -- it's not significant enough to lead to significant gains, because the people who would buy a PS4 at $399 are not an entirely different crowd from the people who would buy it at $349. Keep in mind that $249.99 is the real 'magic' price-point. If Microsoft can hit this price this season, then I absolutely see them becoming the market leader in NA.

In the grand scheme of things, being the global market leader is far more important than being the leader in one territory. There are far too many advantages that come from having the most market share in the big three (NA + EU + JP).

kabel

I can already buy a PS4 500GB for 338€ here in Germany. Would a 349€ MSRP mean that they could sell it sub 300€ or wouldn't the price even change?

EGM1966

I can already buy a PS4 500GB for 338€ here in Germany. Would a 349€ MSRP mean that they could sell it sub 300€ or wouldn't the price even change?
Generally Europe has often dipped below RRP so I'd expect an official price cut to indeed result in even lower deal prices. Can't guarantee it but it's likely.

Top Bottom