• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 receives official £50 price drop in the UK this October

Papacheeks

Banned
It would be nice if it were quieter, but aside from that it's totally fine

It might be me, but I have noticed that it depends on the game on how loud it is.

Like Knack, Killzone and wolfenstein have been the loudest.

But recently mad max has been whisper quiet.

Futurematic

Why? I don't see how anyone would want it not to be
The joke is that Canada first got a price increase from 399 to 449, and our dollar has gotten worse, so bad that 350 USD = ~450 Canadian, so we may hold the distinction of being the only country with no price cut unless Sony feels like taking a Japan level haircut on the price.
how soon do guys reckon a SLIM version will be out. looking to pick up a ps4 once again i have £91 to spend at GAME
Fall 2016 earliest, Summer 2017 latest. The Slim revision depends on 16nm chip fabs so however their high power ramp-up goes.

That's why Sony put the 1200 model out this year, because the Slim won't be out for a while while so an interim motherboard revision was worth it.

£299? I await the bundles... Really tempted to jump soon with Uncharted 4 coming out...

I love my Xbox one but Sony will continue to slay at this rate

Caronte

Joke Post or is this sentiment shared on gaf?

Outside of a touchy eject sensor that' i'v had to reset a couple times, I'v had no issue what so ever and I own a Launch console.

Not a joke. The console is loud with some games and the controller could certainly use better build quality.

Hope this will make the make the XBO drop in price so I can buy it and Forza 6.

For whatever reason all the low priced XBO;s have dried up and only seem to be offered mostly with a ton of crap I don't want at high cost of £280-330
iT5b.jpg

Could post more examples, don't want to flood the page but I know people reading won't believe it and still think they're "everywhere" at £200.

Wasn't so long ago we had them at £200 or £240-250 with a new game for month and months. I'm expecting this October to Christmas will be like 2014 with crazy deals, at least I hope.

These ~£300 deals with Now Tv and others do nothing for me despite the so called value. Not even sure what Now TV is, I want it to play games.

Son Of D

Yeah I don't get it either.

Well with this official price cut places like Amazon can reduce it as well to keep the "Huge savings! Money off!" promotions going without them looking bad by only reducing it by £10. I'm expecting £250 PS4s starting in November.

Sony has done well with the Playstation 4. Their strategy with marketing has been spot on. This is a blueprint plan to continue to strangle hold the console market share.

Papacheeks

Banned
Not a joke. The console is loud with some games and the controller could certainly use better build quality.

I would say your in the minority on this thread. As I have a launch PS4 and the rubber on the sticks is my fault for putting FPS freaks on them, the feet ripped off the rubber.

And the loudness to me depends on the game. Mad max I heard it once spin up to load/boot the game, then didn't hear it after.

TLOU it's a jet engine on that game. I feel depends on the game and how it's accessing the drive for content.

Build quality on the system outside of some launch blemishes has been stellar.

IMHO at least.

Caronte

I would say your in the minority on this thread. As I have a launch PS4 and the rubber on the sticks is my fault for putting FPS freaks on them, the feet ripped off the rubber.

And the loudness to me depends on the game. Mad max I heard it once spin up to load/boot the game, then didn't hear it after.

TLOU it's a jet engine on that game. I feel depends on the game and how it's accessing the drive for content.

Build quality on the system outside of some launch blemishes has been stellar.

IMHO at least.

The console is still to blame. You can't blame games for making use of it.

And plenty of people have had problems with the controller.

EGM1966

The console is still to blame. You can't blame games for making use of it.

And plenty of people have had problems with the controller.
There's little evidence that any issues aren't within normal failure rates though, right? You're speaking as if everyone has controller issues or a loud PS4 but I've seen no articles/evidence indicating a major issue.

It's a bummer if you're affected but unless there's evidence the failure rate is in the unacceptable range (like RROD as an example) your position is just a individual example of the minority encountering issues.

Like I say it sucks and that's little comfort but there's no point derailing thread on price point if you're only speaking anecdotally really.

Decider

Well with this official price cut places like Amazon can reduce it as well to keep the "Huge savings! Money off!" promotions going without them looking bad by only reducing it by £10. I'm expecting £250 PS4s starting in November.
I live in hope. Getting tired of seeing the £299 C-chassis in my basket going up or down by pennies every day.

Osahi

This still is 410 euro's, so more expensive then on mainland Europe. Must suck to be a Britton with the strong currency :p (It's the same with us and the US though).

Anyway, I saw that bol.com, a dutch online retailer, has the 1TB version voor €369. Seems to be a promotion, as the 500GB version is still 399, but one can hope this is a sign for things to come...

Rosur

Yea most places offering under £300 are most likely losing money or only making a couple of quid of the price they buy of Sony/ distributor.

So yea this price cut will definitely enable retailers to reduce the price even more (I do expect some big deals (£250 with a game or two etc) in November/ early December for the Christmas crowd), though initially I doubt we will see it affect much apart from Game (as they still sell close to the RRP).

Regginator

Can we expect a drop for the rest of Europe as well? I'm very close to pulling the trigger, so €50+ off would be nice.

Loudninja

October seems like the month

Thanks goes to 1st Course

Expect a Price Drop for the PS4 in India Soon
The PlayStation 4 is set to receive a price drop mid-October in India. Sources have confirmed with Gadgets 360 that the price of the console will be reduced by around Rs. 5,000. Currently the 500GB PS4 is priced at Rs. 39,990. This would bring it down to Rs. 34,990.

However we've been informed that there's a catch to this. The price drop will coincide with the launch of the 1TB model that's already available in other regions and that Sony India will limit supply on the 500GB console as well. The 1TB model should sport a price of Rs. 39,990. Sony will also bundle the 1TB PS4 with games like it did with the 500GB model, so don't be surprised to see it available at a higher maximum retail price (MRP).
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/expect-a-price-drop-for-the-ps4-in-india-soon-742647

marmoka

Banned
Please drop the price in the rest of Europe as well!! I can't wait to get the new model with 1TB hard drive.

By the way, how much is the Wii U in UK? Something tells me both consoles will have the same price soon.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Please drop the price in the rest of Europe as well!! I can't wait to get the new model with 1TB hard drive.

By the way, how much is the Wii U in UK? Something tells me both consoles will have the same price soon.

Wii U RRP is £249.

You can of course find it under that price if you shop around.

ZhugeEX

Banned
All right, there's still a difference between both. Nintendo should do the same if they want to sell at least one Wii U.

Wii U sales in the UK are atrocious.

Lets put this into perspective.

The PS4 launched in the UK in November 2013 and in two days had outsold Wii U's LTD which had launched a year earlier.

The PS4 launched in the UK in November 2013 and in two days had outsold Wii U's LTD which had launched a year earlier.

I would buy the black Wii U with Xenoblade for 199 €, but they won't do that, then I am not going to buy a Wii U.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I would buy the black Wii U with Xenoblade for 199 €, but they won't do that, then I am not going to buy a Wii U.

If you can find one used then go for it.

There are loads of amazing games on the system that are worth playing (plus it's backwards compatible).

I got mine for £160 over a year ago which was pretty good because it was the 32GB premium version with New Super Mario Bro's U and Super Luigi U.

marmoka

Banned

OMG!! Nothing to do there. Many things have been wrongly done with the Wii U, but the console does not deserve those low sales.

There's little evidence that any issues aren't within normal failure rates though, right? You're speaking as if everyone has controller issues or a loud PS4 but I've seen no articles/evidence indicating a major issue.

It's a bummer if you're affected but unless there's evidence the failure rate is in the unacceptable range (like RROD as an example) your position is just a individual example of the minority encountering issues.

Like I say it sucks and that's little comfort but there's no point derailing thread on price point if you're only speaking anecdotally really.

Great post

Couldn't have said it any better

LordOfChaos

How bad is Canada economy atm?

It`s more about the dollar trading value than the overall economy. It was something like 1.32 CAD to equal one American dollar, so we`re effectively on a 30% markup on anything priced in USD :(

The jokes on the first page are too real...A "cut" here would probably just mean it staying the same...Hopefully not increasing again... Heck, with the dollar where it is a 400 dollar USD PS4 could in theory be 540 CAD, but luckily Sony has not penalized us that bad yet.

Holiday pricing may just make my decision between the PS4/XBO.

DieH@rd

Banned
Based on what?

Based on Eurogamer's article in OP

"UPDATE 22nd September 2015: Sony has told Eurogamer the release of the Uncharted bundles does not mean an official price drop for the console. Rather, it's a promotional price that won't be around forever.

Here's a statement sent over by Sony:

We would like to clarify that the pricing of the Uncharted PlayStation 4 bundles is actually a promotional price that will be available across a selection of retailers for a limited time only."

I always believed that this is just a promotion for Uncharted bundle and nothing else.

gtj1092

Didn't they do this earlier in the year? Verendus seemed to state that this price cut is different from the earlier one that happened.

Anyway still feel the writing is on the wall. Sony usually price cuts the same around the world.

Roshin

I have a launch unit with two controllers. They're as good as new and you have to get personal space close to the console to hear it. It doesn't shoot discs across the room either.

Conduit

Banned
Hm...."promotinal". I think that sales will fall when Sony return price to 400$ again after Holidays. Maybe then they will cut it again officially. :D

Didn't they do this earlier in the year? Verendus seemed to state that this price cut is different from the earlier one that happened.

Anyway still feel the writing is on the wall. Sony usually price cuts the same around the world.

Yeah, but usually their consoles don't struggle that much on their home market, so maybe that's why they opted to push only the Asian markets a little, as the PS4 performs still well enough in ROW.

If they drop the price this year in other regions this will be announced no later than PGW, I guess.

Top Bottom