• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

OraleeWey

It took PS2 26 months to hit 30 million. PS4 did it in 24 months.
Damn. That's great. So it's surpassing the Ps2 in sales within a timeframe. Last I heard Ps2 lifetime sales was 150 million. Will Ps4 achieve that? Who knows but initial numbers are good.

Welfare

30 Million Sold before Black Friday they might hit 40 million by the end of January.

10 million sold in 6 weeks? No chance. 4.1 million PS4's were sold in the last 6 weeks of 2014, and it's not doing more than double that this year.

Mooreberg

Interested to see where the numbers are in January. There are a lot more big games coming out now than this time last year. The hardware pricecut was kinda half assed for being two years in, though.

AniHawk

Aaaaaand some perspective. Sony is killing it.

the ps2 was also out only in japan for seven of those months. the system didn't really get going until it was nearly a year old and out in every region finally. then sony sold 140 million more consoles.

001_1.gif

So, according to Wikipedia, this means PS4 passed Atari 2600 (it sold 30 million units). Sega Genesis is next, sitting at 30.75 million units sold. After that, it's N64 at 32.93. I think PS4 will pass N64 by the end of the year, making it the 8th most successful console ever. It'll take a bit longer to pass the next console, SNES, which sits at 49.10 million units sold. NES is at 61.91 million. Wikipedia has both PS3 at 83.8 million and 360 at 84 million (I was under the impression PS3 had outsold 360 worldwide). Wii is at 101.59 million, PS1 is at 102.49 million, and PS2 is at 155 million.

Scanna

Console is great but first party software wise a letdown for now. So I really don't get how it's selling so much. Congrats to them anyways.
Next year it's going to explode

AniHawk

Get that all out and try to get that 199 price as soon as you can to push things.

Has there been any leaks on greatest hits

2016 is going to be the year where all the huge software (at least the big name first-party software) hits. i think we might see it at 299 before the end of the year, but 199 might not happen until the system's being replaced. it's possible that it actually might not ever happen.

And with a strong lineup at the begining of next year, its lookin good for them.

Doing so well with what IMO has been a pretty lackluster first few years of First party titles (besides a few). I feel like its got a lot of surprises left.

Congrats and well deserved.

RexNovis

Banned
Just to put this in perspective the last announcement we have is that Sony had shipped 29.3 million units by Sept 30th. That means in just over a month they managed to not only sell through their existing stock but also an additional 700k units BEFORE we even made it to Black Friday sales.

Console is great but first party wise a letdown for now. So I really don't get how it's selling so much. Congrats to them anyways.

Count the # of exclusives vs the number of big 3rd party multiplats out there; people don't buy a console just for exclusives, its a factor but only one of many. They factor where their friends play, back library, price, etc. You also have to remember MS is doing abysmally outside of the US and UK, there's quite a large market out there in the rest of Europe that lean toward Playstation.

eFKac

I really wonder how they track sold through numbers now. It was fairly obvious for the first year, when the channels didn't have many PS4's in stock, but now? Since they even count to 0.2 million their method seems to be precise. Anyone wants to chime in on this?

Anyway, congrats! Well deserved, what a great console! Now for 40 million.

Console is great but first party software wise a letdown for now. So I really don't get how it's selling so much. Congrats to them anyways.

Lol first party isn't really doing anything for Microsoft. How mad most Microsoft be? With first party games hitting every few months plus big timed exclusives like Tomb Raider failing to do anything.

Meanwhile Sonys marketing deals with COD, Destiny and Battlefront is moving units like crazy.

It's selling so much because, even by your own words, it's "great" and obviously shitloads of consumers feel the same way. What's to get?

Lingitiz

Agreed however there have been a few great games on the system. Next year looks like the big one though which fits in line with how the PS3 developed, although I would argue that system had a better early showing overall.

Nikodemos

Now all they need to do is undercut the others on VR unit price and >50 million is all but assured by this time next year.

crinale

The first party software lacking brings up interesting point though. Like many are already saying, third party multiplat plays bigger and bigger role as time passes, and Sony diverted more energy to make machine to server the purpose. I must say they were very smart doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom