• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

FATALITY

Banned
Nice! I find that gaming is always better with SONY at the top.

Welcome back and well deserved.

yep
niche titles are coming back from the death
nncfwu.gif

MintyCorruptAmurratsnake.gif

npa189

Selling better than the PS2, wow Sony is killing it. Hats off, the PS4 is a great system with more games than you can shake a stick at and its just getting started.

zxcv11223300xi

Neo Member
In my view, PS4 has some great news in this month:
Valkyria: Azure Revolution (PS4 exclusive)
Disaster Report 4 Plus (PS4 exclusive)
Worldwide sales top 30.2 million

Relativ9

I contributed to 4 of these fucking things. Fuck you Sony for making me buy this console.

Holy shit, those bastard! How long has this been going on? Is the negotiator there yet? How many hostages? What kind of gun are they using?

No but seriously what happened that you had to buy 4 of them? If they broke three times surely the warranty would cover it?

Lingitiz

nioh and neir look god tier

If Ni-Oh is the kinda Dark Souls/Bloodborne clones we're gonna be getting, sign me up. It looks great.

I have no knowledge of the first Nier but Platinum being onboard for the sequel gets my attention at least.

I'm doubtful those games hit next year but even without them, the lineup still sounds killer. Horizon is the first new exclusive I've seen this gen I've seen and immediately though it could be the next big thing.

FATALITY

Banned
niche titles were all over the place last gen.

edit: oh you mean specifically those franchises.

nah. last gen there was clearly a lack of of passion from producers. and ps3 was a shit console to develop for that those titles were kind shit compared to the ones on ps2.

i mean im just assuming that because the amount of titles announced for ps4 from square is just ridiculous its like they are making games every 2 weeks.

If Ni-Oh is the kinda Dark Souls/Bloodborne clones we're gonna be getting, sign me up. It looks great.

I have no knowledge of the first Nier but Platinum being onboard for the sequel gets my attention at least.

I'm doubtful those games hit next year but even without them, the lineup still sounds killer.
Idk about neir but i think nioh is hitting 2016. Plus its a worldwide release! Yess

Behlel

Next year they will sell like crazy with all the japanese titles they have and the other heavy hitter like Uncharted.
If they can take back japan with decent number they can hit over 50 millions by the end of the next year.

AmFreak

I think the main reason the PS2 didn't sell faster was because it was heavily supply constrained at launch. The US only got like 500K to sell at launch.

Ps4 numbers are only higher cause ps2 launched 8-9 months earlier in japan than elsewhere. If the comparison is made from the us start (subtracting japanese sales till then) the ps2 is already far ahead (38-39 million shipped). The effect of this huge starting lead is shrinking every month and it is only a matter of time till the ps2 overtakes the ps4 no matter how (unfair) the comparison is made.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
They'll make enough money at this rate to bring back based Kutaragi for PS5. Nuclear powered video game console will be a reality.

But seriously, great job Sony.

Ps4 numbers are only higher cause ps2 launched 8-9 months earlier in japan than elsewhere. If the comparison is made from the us start (subtracting japanese sales till then) the ps2 is already far ahead (38-39 million shipped). The effect of this huge starting lead is shrinking every month and it is only a matter of time till the ps2 overtakes the ps4 no matter how (unfair) the comparison is made.

Anyone got a link to where this "digital console sales" meme got started? Curious now.
You dont wanna go in that halo thread my friend keep your sanity

Great numbers. Pretty excited for next year's lineup. Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon, Nier, Ni Oh, Valkyria Azure. I only play exclusives on my PS4, so it seems like it's going to get a lot of use next year.

A square enix/ Crystal dynamics employee just git fired with this news lol

Absolutely unnecessary fanboy crap.

2016 is going to be the year where all the huge software (at least the big name first-party software) hits. i think we might see it at 299 before the end of the year, but 199 might not happen until the system's being replaced. it's possible that it actually might not ever happen.

Not hitting 199 would be their biggest mistake imo

199 is the true wow sweet sport

Add in wanting to add a 2nd expensive device in VR and the need for 200 is even greater.

Slim and 199 is needed and this was also a mistake in ps3 and xbox no doubt in my mind.

need a greatest hit lines, as games don't seem to be going super cheap as well.

SONY- please make sure a lot of these japanese games like disaster report are making it over

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

This sounds like denial. Just a tad.

zxcv11223300xi

Neo Member

I'm doubtful those games hit next year but even without them, the lineup still sounds killer. Horizon is the first new exclusive I've seen this gen I've seen and immediately though it could be the next big thing.

You could find TGS Gameplay video for Ni-Oh in Youtube.

https://youtu.be/yuY6R-iF3XU

AniHawk

nah. last gen there was clearly a lack of of passion from producers. and ps3 was a shit console to develop for that those titles were kind shit compared to the ones on ps2.

i mean im just assuming that because the amount of titles announced for ps4 from square is just ridiculous its like they are making games every 2 weeks.

oh well i meant that you could find those kinds of games on other platforms. pretty much everything had those kinds of games last gen, even if it was less pronounced on ps3 in particular when compared to its predecessor. i guess it also depends on your definition of 'niche'. i think rpgs and japanese hack and slash games weren't intended by their publishers to only reach a small audience, where something like disgaea or catherine it was more of a given.

Great numbers. Pretty excited for next year's lineup. Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon, Nier, Ni Oh, Valkyria Azure. I only play exclusives on my PS4, so it seems like it's going to get a lot of use next year.

Absolutely unnecessary fanboy crap.
It was a lil joke nothing serious. It actually got swept by so i dont see the need to call someone a fanboy at the drop of a hat

Lingitiz

If by passion you mean that developers were being shoehorned into catering their games to a western audience, sure. A lot of Japanese games totally lost their identity chasing the big mainstream western audiences, and now we're seeing the pushback.

Pubs/devs are desperate to revive console gaming in Japan, and they're thinking the right way to do it is to play to the strengths of what Japanese developers have been known for in the past.

You could find TGS Gameplay video for Ni-Oh in Youtube.

https://youtu.be/yuY6R-iF3XU

I saw the videos already, definitely got that Souls/Bloodborne vibe. Curious to see the overall structure of the game though.

PR_rambo

Banned
PS4 is one the few cases where I bought one at launch and bought a second within a year. (it was $350 at Wal-Mart)

Damn good console

The first party software lacking brings up interesting point though. Like many are already saying, third party multiplat plays bigger and bigger role as time passes, and Sony diverted more energy to make machine to server the purpose. I must say they were very smart doing so.
Nintendo is the only one that needs first parties to sell consoles and has been that way for a long while

HooYaH

Not hitting 199 would be their biggest mistake imo

199 is the true wow sweet sport

Add in wanting to add a 2nd expensive device in VR and the need for 200 is even greater.

Slim and 199 is needed and this was also a mistake in ps3 and xbox no doubt in my mind.

need a greatest hit lines, as games don't seem to be going super cheap as well.

I can see $250 2016 -> $229 2017 -> $199 2018 / PS5 launch $399.

The slow price drop is due to PS4 Slim -> PS4 Slimmer -> PS4 Slim Fanless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom